Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

FourLeaf posted:

where your children have it worse than you, your grandchildren have it worse than them, and so on, until people have picked up the pieces and adopted a dramatically different lifestyle not based around the use of fossil fuels and massively wasteful consumerism on a large scale.

Did you read the NY Mag article? We're going to have to adapt a lot faster than a multiple-generation timescale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

call to action posted:

Did you read the NY Mag article? We're going to have to adapt a lot faster than a multiple-generation timescale.

We already are adapting. And the fact that people like you argue we should give up and shouldn't adapt at all doesn't mean we will stop.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

call to action posted:

But that's what I said....

"The people focusing their lives right now around being more self-sufficient and consuming less are being smart; the status quo cannot continue and eventually we're all going to have to adapt. It's your choice how gradual this change is for yourself."

Chadzok posted:

The new optimism. Feels good man. The next double-beef burger I have is in your honour.

Optimism is stupid.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

Saving and frugality are virtues. If you want to enjoy your life today you should live virtuously and take care of your mind, body and spirit. You dumb idiot.

Look buster, my $100-of-usquebaugh-a-fortnight is never gonna change whether it's one $200 scotch a month of 10 $5 bottles of Tom Horton's Apology Blend

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 11, 2017

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Arglebargle III posted:

Look buster, my $100-of-usquebaugh-a-fortnight is never gonna change whether it's one $200 scotch a month of 10 $5 bottles of Tom Horton's Apology Blend

It was not my intention put the cross hairs on scotch and I apologize to everyone and suggest we change the subject. What do you mean 'what was that clinking noise'? Not ice!

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

call to action posted:

I think they - much like you - are exaggerating.

Which is fine - better safe than sorry.

But if they entire earth were facing something like this in the next 10 years there'd be a lot more action by business on this forefront preparing for that. Their not.

When they start developing and planting heat-resistant crops i'll worry.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

That's putting an awful lot of faith in the rationality, empathy and long-term vision of a species overwhelmingly concerned with immediate self-gratification. Most individuals and businesses are behaving in much the same way as your post suggests that you are - assuming that someone else will fix the problem, and that it's not in fact a problem unless everyone is actively trying to fix it.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
I'm sure people said the same thing about AIG or Lehman Brothers.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

But if they entire earth were facing something like this in the next 10 years there'd be a lot more action by business on this forefront preparing for that. Their not.

Good username/post combo.

I'm sure smart people are monitoring the situation...

Wait, they are, the climate scientists have been panicking for so long that their screams have faded into background.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

One problem with oligarchy and anti-intelectualism is that the establishment doesn't care about the public's interests and the public doesn't care about the alarm-raising experts.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

ANYWAY meat-chat: Ive reduced my meat intake significantly and eat vegan for as long as I can until I crave some cheese, and Ive managed to make my girlfriend, who is from carne country spain, to reduce her meat intake significantly too.

Something thats very annoying with food carbon footprints, as with anything concerning climate change, is that its hard to find good data to base decisions on. For example many sources tell you the footprint of foods per weight, which is basically useless since you need the amount per kcal. If anybody has any good sources id be thankful, for anybody who hasnt concidered this before heres a small table of the footprint of a couple of foods per 1000kcal:

Lamb 20.85
Beef 13.78
Turkey 5.83
Broccoli 5.71
Tuna 5.26
Salmon 5.15
Cheese 4.47
Pork 4.45
Yogurt 3.49
Chicken 3.37
Milk 3.17
Eggs 3.06
Rice 2.08
Potatoes 1.46
Beans 1.40
Tomato 1.39
Tofu 1.38
Lentils 0.78
Peanut Butter 0.42
Nuts 0.39

So just not eating beef and dairy Products already has a major effect, and as it turns out chicken is not even close to as bad as some other stuff.

Son of Rodney fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 11, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Son of Rodney posted:

ANYWAY meat-chat: Ive reduced my meat intake significantly and eat vegan for as long as I can until I crave some cheese, and Ive managed to make my girlfriend, who is from carne country spain, to reduce her meat intake significantly too.

Something thats very annoying with food carbon footprints, as with anything concerning climate change, is that its hard to find good data to base decisions on. For example many sources tell you the footprint of foods per weight, which is basically useless since you need the amount per kcal. If anybody has any good sources id be thankful, for anybody who hasnt concidered this before heres a small table of the footprint of a couple of foods per 1000kcal:

Lamb 20.85
Beef 13.78
Turkey 5.83
Broccoli 5.71
Tuna 5.26
Salmon 5.15
Cheese 4.47
Pork 4.45
Yogurt 3.49
Chicken 3.37
Milk 3.17
Eggs 3.06
Rice 2.08
Potatoes
1.46 Beans
1.40 Tomato
1.39 Tofu
1.38 Lentils
0.78 Peanut Butter
0.42 Nuts 0.39

So just not eating beef and dairy Products already has a major effect, and as it turns out chicken is not even close to as bad as some other stuff.

What pigs and chickens have in common is that they eat mostly trash, don't fart methane and grow to slaughtering age ludicrously quickly.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

MiddleOne posted:

What pigs and chickens have in common is that they eat mostly trash, don't fart methane and grow to slaughtering age ludicrously quickly.

And thats exactly the can-do attitude we need from our food sources! Broccoli should really step up its game.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Don't ruin broccoli for me, come on. How can broccoli be worse than pork?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Son of Rodney posted:

Lamb 20.85
Beef 13.78
Turkey 5.83
Broccoli 5.71
Tuna 5.26
Salmon 5.15
Cheese 4.47
Pork 4.45
Yogurt 3.49
Chicken 3.37
Milk 3.17
Eggs 3.06
Rice 2.08
Potatoes
1.46 Beans
1.40 Tomato
1.39 Tofu
1.38 Lentils
0.78 Peanut Butter
0.42 Nuts 0.39

Caloric density skews that so much that it feels like the wrong way to present the data.

Like, here's 200 calories of broccoli:

And here's 200 calories of generic protein:

Our obesity rates suggest we'd seldom eat that much broccoli, and we'd seldom eat that little hot dog.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TheLawinator posted:

Don't ruin broccoli for me, come on. How can broccoli be worse than pork?

That's per calorie, so you can eat a lot of broccoli for the same calories of pork.

Efb with pics no less.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Accretionist posted:

Caloric density skews that so much that it feels like the wrong way to present the data.

Like, here's 200 calories of broccoli:

And here's 200 calories of generic protein:

Our obesity rates suggest we'd seldom eat that much broccoli, and we'd seldom eat that little hot dog.

That's true from a dietary viewpoint but its problematic from a climate one. Brocolli is an excellent foodstuff from a dietary viewpoint. It's very filling due to being heavy in waters and fibers (and low in calories) which makes it an excellent supplement to almost any meal. However from an efficiency viewpoint it's not very nutritionally dense and it has quite a heavy carbon imprint. If you compare it to something with a way lower footprint and more nutritional density like spinach Brocolli suddenly start looking kinda bad. If you compare it to something like a sweet potatoes it suddenly looks goddamn awful.

A lot of water-heavy vegetables might have to go. Beef remains the crown poo poo-haver when it comes to carbon foot print but not far behind it you find iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and paprika. You might notice here that my statements do not match with Son of Rodney's previous numbers* and that's because I'm referring to this study into the environmental impact of dietary change. What's healthy is not necessarily the best for the environment. The role of meat in our diet has to change but so does a lot of other foodstuffs as well.

*That's actually another problem, measuring footprint is not as straightforward as it should be and as you can see if you read my study above it explores this in its limitations.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

quote:

You might notice here that my statements do not match with Son of Rodney's previous numbers* and that's because I'm referring to this study into the environmental impact of dietary change. What's healthy is not necessarily the best for the environment. The role of meat in our diet has to change but so does a lot of other foodstuffs as well.

*That's actually another problem, measuring footprint is not as straightforward as it should be and as you can see if you read my study above it explores this in its limitations.

Yeah I should have clarified that I pulled the numbers from some dude, who pulled them from some other studies, and that they are very rough estimates in the first place. As you say calculating footprints is really complex, so it will vary wildly.

I wanted to give a first overview tho, since many people dont know the first thing about foods impacts on the climate except that meat is bad.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/rural-alaska/2017/07/07/the-permafrost-is-dying-bethel-sees-increased-shifting-of-roads-and-buildings/

I thought the pictures of warped roads were p kewl and also might illustrate some of the danger for sceptics

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

pacmania90 posted:

It means to make friends with your neighbors, help them out when they're in trouble, and depend on them when you need support. I can't believe I have to spell this out for you.

What if my neighbors are climate-denying trump voters?

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Don't nuts take an obscene amount of water to grow?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Feral Integral posted:

Dunno, but obscene amounts of steroids make them shrink

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
http://digg.com/2017/nymag-climate-change-david-wallace-wlls

I really enjoyed this short piece about the previous NY Mag article, particularly the parts where a few climate experts say "well yeah poo poo's bad but you can't tell people that or they'll be scared" without actually disputing any of the facts OP put forth

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What's the gun license level where you can buy crew - served light weaponry? Community resiliency goes beyond stockpiling AR-15s and NATO 5.56.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

However from an efficiency viewpoint it's not very nutritionally dense and it has quite a heavy carbon imprint. If you compare it to something with a way lower footprint and more nutritional density like spinach Brocolli suddenly start looking kinda bad. If you compare it to something like a sweet potatoes it suddenly looks goddamn awful.

That's somewhat mitigated by slack from overall caloric intake. People eat for volume and experience in addition to avoiding hunger and passing out. If you scaled the resource-cost to typical portioning then I'm certain you'd see the, "costly," vegetables move down the scale by a lot.

It'd be cool to see an article look at dining according to a resource cap.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Arglebargle III posted:

What's the gun license level where you can buy crew - served light weaponry? Community resiliency goes beyond stockpiling AR-15s and NATO 5.56.

There's no such thing as a "gun license" (lol) but it sounds like you're referring to NFA Class III items. Make sure you check your state laws before buying!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Feral Integral posted:

Yeah all the almond and pistachio and avocado farms in cali are very unsustainable

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The most recent episode of On the Media is an interesting investigation into the human experience of climate change as it transforms the Earth into something unimaginable: http://www.wnyc.org/story/on-the-media-2017-07-07/

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Skimmed the past 4 pages of exposition, just wanted to pop in and point out that BC isn't burning solely due to climate change.

BC has one of the worlds largest forestry industries, and it is horrendously managed. Controlled burns do not happen here, because that threatens timber stock or tourist dollars. For nearly two decades our forestry industry has been grossly exceeding their annual allowable cut, leaving vast quantities of combustible slash on the ground, failing to adequately replant in a sustainable manner, and generally just making GBS threads the bed. The coastal forests look like a loving cancer victim on google earth, it's horrific.

The interior has been ravaged by the mountain pine beetle, that's where the climate comes into play. We're not combusting because it's hot, but rather because we have 20+ years of beetle kill stacked meters thick in our forests and have refused to deal with it. You drive through somewhere like Jasper, where there hasn't been a major forest fire in a century, and you can barely see into the fuckin' trees off the highway because the deadwood is so thick in there. In a natural ecosystem, wildfires would play across the landscape on a ten-year cycle and clean out that crap while allowing the forests to regenerate and causing many species to seed. Instead it builds up, builds up, and builds up until you get these 10,000 hectare monstrosities which raze towns and cost us billions of dollars.

Climate change is at play, here, but mankinds asinine mismanagement of natural resources in pursuit of profit is far more the culprit. More and more I no longer view transpiring events under the banner of "climate change" so much as I do "ecosystem collapse". We've gleefully poured arsenic in our little terrarium, shook it around a bit, and are now crying and worried because everything is dying. :cripes:

Rime fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 12, 2017

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This one goes out to all the haters out there: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/11/climate/mass-extinction-animal-species.html

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Another good article for perspective on BC's wildfire situation:

BC’s Wildfire Summers Are Here to Stay

quote:

More to the point, we have urbanized ourselves, leaving most of this enormous province to a very small number of voters from Hope to Atlin. The woods and coasts still make money for downtown British Columbia, but we outvote the rest of the province, and we don’t spend any more on it than we absolutely have to.

Downtown B.C. supports forestry in the form of raw log exports, and the coasts in the form of fish farms, but otherwise urbanites see the rest of the province as a place for hydro power and tourism. The real money these days is in downtown B.C. real estate.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

On the one hand, this makes me happy because the sooner we all die the better! :dance:

On the other hand, poor animals and plants are getting hosed because of us. :(

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Human Lives are more Sacred than anything else in existence, even at the expense of all human lives. To say otherwise is eugenics.

Namaste & God Bless.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
reminder for whatever page we're on: if you live in a detached house and drive a car your reduced-meat diet is you telling everyone around you "i'm smug as gently caress and bad at math!"

- have few and ideally no kids
- move to a 5+ unit building
- do not use a car daily
- eat cheeseburgers erry fukin day

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 12, 2017

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Larsen c finally broke.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
That Larsen C ice berg has broken away. http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-40321674

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
:rip:

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh yea but really i came here to post this:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jul/12/giant-antarctic-iceberg-breaks-free-of-larsen-c-ice-shelf

quote:

Iceberg twice size of Luxembourg breaks off Antarctic ice shelf
Satellite data confirms ‘calving’ of trillion-tonne, 5,800 sq km iceberg from the Larsen C ice shelf, dramatically altering the landscape

A giant iceberg twice the size of Luxembourg has broken off an ice shelf on the Antarctic peninsula and is now adrift in the Weddell Sea.

Reported to be “hanging by a thread” last month, the trillion-tonne iceberg was found to have split off from the Larsen C segment of the Larsen ice shelf on Wednesday morning after scientists examined the latest satellite data from the area.

lol edit triple-beat

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

StabbinHobo posted:

lol edit triple-beat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
What I've learned from following the Larsen C thing is that a quarter the size of Wales is twice the size of Luxembourg which is about the size of Delware.