Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Is there any indication that SQ42 has had any work done on the actual game part of it? Is all that's ever been released some mo-cap shots, Morrow tour and the canteen / hangar poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ModernSociety posted:

Not much to tell tbh.

Just remember that the forums is the wild west and the frontiers are unexplored. Visit other (sub)forums and enjoy such riveting discussions such as "Is this a sandwich?"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

ModernSociety posted:

I actually ended up here after briefly sticking my head in the SC subreddit for the first time in months (I was directed there form the SC thread on the Frontier forums.). All the talk of how folk here were all literally Hitler who burned rainbows and kittens for fun, got me curious...

*glances about*

Seems alright to me. And If it's alright with you I'd like to join as you warm your cockles next to the roaring parpferno that is 'Star Citizen: Chris Robert's Ego through Time.'

Pretty easy going place. Just don't bring up pizza. What are your thoughts on the Wing Commander movie?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
imagine being so pathetic that derek smart is the foil to your success

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

starkebn posted:

Is there any indication that SQ42 has had any work done on the actual game part of it? Is all that's ever been released some mo-cap shots, Morrow tour and the canteen / hangar poo poo?

Nope, there's sweet fa been shown aside from those two.

I think Ben or someone claimed it was playable but they didn't want to spoil it for themselves so hadn't tried it...

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

JugbandDude posted:

I for one, am very excited for this ELE.

I expect ground breaking news regarding Star Citizen in a reasonably estimated time frame: about two weeks, give or take.

I pop back into this thread every 3 months or so and literally every single time Derek Smart is hyping his next ELE

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Colostomy Bag posted:

What are your thoughts on the Wing Commander movie?

I got stupid drunk and tried to watch it once. I vomited and passed out, I'm fairly sure the alcohol had very little to do with that.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Also didn't they say last year that they were still working on the tools for building AI and missions in SQ42?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

alphabettitouretti posted:

Nope, there's sweet fa been shown aside from those two.

I think Ben or someone claimed it was playable but they didn't want to spoil it for themselves so hadn't tried it...

yeah, I remember Ben claiming he'd played a complete greybox version of SQ42 or something similar. Lying turd.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

TheAgent posted:

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

starkebn posted:

All bias aside:
Its mid 2017 and no one outside of CIG can say empirically that any game actually exists for SQ42.

Normally you could say Morrow tour but they've explicitly said its been scrapped and completely redone. You could say bishop speech but they've said they scrapped and reworked that as well.

So at this point the only concrete evidence that a game called SQ42 is in development is the purchase/apparent use of shitloads of mocap and CIG's say so.

I guess mess hall animations could be considered SQ42.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 12, 2017

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Nice to see that logicsol still cannot tell the difference between information and bullshit. I'm sure he thinks the sandworm demo is totally in game and playable; much like how "all of sq42 is greyboxed and playable and just needs polish".

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

nopantsjack posted:

I pop back into this thread every 3 months or so and literally every single time Derek Smart is hyping his next ELE

Welcome back, friend. A few guidelines:
    - ELE t-shirts can be found on the stands to your right
    - The door in the end of the hallway takes you to our very special deskeletonization room, fully functional on this most holy 14th of July
    - You can see all fallen heroes on the mural to your left: Gorf, SomethingJones, and others who sacrificed their sanity to uphold our glorious leader ideals
Don't forget to donate and buy a JPEG.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Quavers posted:

How many will melt down when 3.0 is released live and it's only playable at 15FPS?

It's called 3.0 because it's 3 FPS.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/885129846875140097

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

starkebn posted:

I'm legit puzzled at this. They could easily produce a sizzle vid or two with a scrap of the
mo cap and animation intercut with some ships flying around going WHHHIISSSH and ZOOOM.

Either they have done, literally, no work at all on the game or Croberto is saving it up for a big reveal at one of big conventions.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Toblakai posted:

Well, pal, you can say that I'm kinda an outsider to the whole Star Citizen thing. I never played wing commander and I had no idea who croberts was until 2013 I think. Then I saw the July blog (yeah, Derek called it) and since then I cannot explain myself how people can give 150$ millions to a guy, who is apparently a one trick pony and bears a striking resemblance to a used car reseller.

Moreover this fiasco is almost identical to the Daikatana - you have a (seemingly) big name, a big sum of money, design croberts' vision is the law and a lovely product, which underwent engine change and is barely playable. Well, at least Romero didn't wait 15 years for his next game.

So for me, it's a win-win situation - if the off-chance happens and this game is released and not an utter garbage, then I have something to play. If not - well, the fallout from the disaster is going to be hilarious.

Just to be clear - I do not wish CIG to fail. I just think it is inevitable.

Maybe I don't get the joke, but he actually was a used car salesman (just?) before doing the Kickstarter.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

BeigeJacket posted:

I'm legit puzzled at this. They could easily produce a sizzle vid or two with a scrap of the
mo cap and animation intercut with some ships flying around going WHHHIISSSH and ZOOOM.

Either they have done, literally, no work at all on the game or Croberto is saving it up for a big reveal at one of big conventions.
Any SQ42 work (including custscenes, and fake gameplay) seems to be mostly re-purposed to be as part for the demos in their 'Cons or ship promos.

Does anyone remember that animation video they showed in the last CitCon, with commentary about a war and resistance and poo poo, which almost everyone thought it was a trailer for SQ42, until it was revealed to be a concept ship promo at its end?

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Wow that Clifford gif is making me feel genuinely uneasy

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

AbstractNapper posted:

Any SQ42 work (including custscenes, and fake gameplay) seems to be mostly re-purposed to be as part for the demos in their 'Cons or ship promos.

Does anyone remember that animation video they showed in the last CitCon, with commentary about a war and resistance and poo poo, which almost everyone thought it was a trailer for SQ42, until it was revealed to be a concept ship promo at its end?

Imagine how good SQ42 is if that is what they consider B roll stuff.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

BeigeJacket posted:

Croberts loves big reveals. Its his excuse to get on stage and have people tell him how wonderful he is. Of course this doesn't explain why they couldn't manage a sizzle reel at Gamescom or Citizencon last year.

So they probably don't have anything show able that doesn't have obvious problems. Like the Morrow Tour. So instead they craft a fake "totally in game" demo that lets them hand-wave away bugs.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

AbstractNapper posted:

The twitch chat reaction was loving priceless.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

BeigeJacket posted:

It's kind of almost impressive but yeah, I think SQ42 is much further from completion now than it was in say 2013. They don't even claim to be working on it anymore

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

oops

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Eldragon posted:

Croberts loves big reveals. Its his excuse to get on stage and have people tell him how wonderful he is. Of course this doesn't explain why they couldn't manage a sizzle reel at Gamescom or Citizencon last year.

So they probably don't have anything show able that doesn't have obvious problems. Like the Morrow Tour. So instead they craft a fake "totally in game" demo that lets them hand-wave away bugs.

Didn't they surprise release their FPS after one of last years CrobertFest, or am I getting mixed up?

Prob my fave thing about SC is the couldn't-be-more-declarative 'This game is not an MMO' on the Kickstarter. That seemed to have got handwaved away fairly quickly.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

lol

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Why would an ore hauler "punch above its weight"? If its trying to be discreet, shouldn't it have less punch and more concealment? Why would an ore hauler have offensive capabilities other than some mining drill or weak turrets?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

welp, all signs point to SQ42 being ready for release by the end of the year then

:moonrio:

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

So there really is yet another concept ship going up for sale? I'm not at all surprised, but I can't help but laugh.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Why would an ore hauler "punch above its weight"? If its trying to be discreet, shouldn't it have less punch and more concealment? Why would an ore hauler have offensive capabilities other than some mining drill or weak turrets?

Or why would you want/need a vehicle for transporting goods across the surface of a planet when a player can use their drat spaceship and land from orbit.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Beet Wagon a deep cover Surface Detail alt all along

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

the last 10 concept sales have all mentioned that the ship "punches above its weight" (which has turned out to be true in exactly 0 of them, after CIG refactors them before release) so I thought I should include it. It seemed an obvious nod that it was satire.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Eldragon posted:

So there really is yet another concept ship going up for sale? I'm not at all surprised, but I can't help but laugh.

Or why would you want/need a vehicle for transporting goods across the surface of a planet when a player can use their drat spaceship and land from orbit.

Its surface only?! I thought it was another space ship.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

the last 10 concept sales have all mentioned that the ship "punches above its weight" (which has turned out to be true in exactly 0 of them, after CIG refactors them before release) so I thought I should include it. It seemed an obvious nod that it was satire.

We all know you're an actual employee, an a method to ensure fairness in our online forum. Unlike those IDIOTS at Frontier!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Eldragon posted:

(it's something I made up entirely to gently caress with nerds on spectrum)

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Well, they all have 0 mass, so...

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

We all know you're an actual employee, an a method to ensure fairness in our online forum. Unlike those IDIOTS at Frontier!

You can't imagine my horror when I drew the short straw on the "Go undercover on SA to see what mean things Beer4theBeerGod is writing about us" assignment.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Beet Wagon posted:

(it's something I made up entirely to gently caress with nerds on spectrum)

I believed it, because at this point CIG will put anything up for sale.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

TheAgent posted:

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/885140878108577793

:munch:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

You can't imagine my horror when I drew the short straw on the "Go undercover on SA to see what mean things Beer4theBeerGod is writing about us" assignment.

Imagine if Roberts appeared in "Undercover Boss". What goofy hair-do would they give him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

Seems like a pretty cushy job, and you're doing a much better job than Toast. You at least provided us with great doggo material and you seem willing to talk with people who aren't named Derek Smart about various topics.

Oh, and you aren't an insufferable oval office.