Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

StarMinstrel posted:

This thread personified:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cSl_ebjR78
(some are fake yadda yadda)

That little girl cooking the egg :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

RyokoTK posted:

That little girl cooking the egg :3:

Very unsafe. It could blow up any minute.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Usin Electro boom is cheating

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

nerdz posted:

Because you can never have too many outlets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AYLNyQP0pw

This looks like someone with mental health issues tried to put up outlets. Like... deep in the grips of a meth binge or with a strange sort of severe OCD. Is it even possible for all those to be hooked up to enough different circuits to even use all that poo poo?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ChesterJT posted:

So do mods have lengthy lists of toxx clauses like this or is it up to someone to report the post if/when it doesn't pan out?

I don’t know what the mods do.

I put it on my own calendar so I have something to chuckle about in the surreal hellscape of 2022.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/SEBu48G.mp4

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The absolute most surprising thing about this is that nothing went terrifyingly wrong.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Show this to all the loving STEMlords who tell you automated trucks will replace all truck drivers within the next few years.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Memento posted:

The absolute most surprising thing about this is that nothing went terrifyingly wrong.

I was genuinely on the edge of my seat.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

MisterOblivious posted:

Show this to all the loving STEMlords who tell you automated trucks will replace all truck drivers within the next few years.

Because automation starts with the edge cases. No, most truck drivers will get replaced, not everyone at once in the next few years, but gradually and then quickly. I imagine a good starting point is OTR routes where both start and endpoints have good facilities and are the same every time.

BTW, I don't see anything in that gif that could not easily be done by an autonomous truck with proper sensors and path planning.

A much harder job is crowded cities or other places with lots of pedestrians. This is one of those things that is easy for humans but hard for computers and vice versa.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Anta posted:

A much harder job is crowded cities or other places with lots of pedestrians. This is one word those things that is easy for humans but hard for computers and vice versa.

:agreed:

Geometry is easy for a computer to work out.

Inferring the intent and future actions of humans is so much harder.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
What the gently caress happened to the truck at 9:50 in the dashcam compilation?? :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36Sg7mcXQzM&t=587s

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

What the gently caress happened to the truck at 9:50 in the dashcam compilation?? :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36Sg7mcXQzM&t=587s

Power line.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Must have worked great with the electric engines in the wheels.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Anta posted:

Because automation starts with the edge cases. No, most truck drivers will get replaced, not everyone at once in the next few years, but gradually and then quickly. I imagine a good starting point is OTR routes where both start and endpoints have good facilities and are the same every time.

BTW, I don't see anything in that gif that could not easily be done by an autonomous truck with proper sensors and path planning.

A much harder job is crowded cities or other places with lots of pedestrians. This is one of those things that is easy for humans but hard for computers and vice versa.

I suspect automated trucking will start with a hub-and-spokes model. The automated trucks will get the long-haul interstate stuff on good, well-marked roads with predictable routes. The cargo will then be off-loaded to smaller trucks driven by humans to do more complicated or poorly-marked routes.

Over time, both street markings and automation will improve to where fully-automated trucks can do it all. It will take some time, though.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

spog posted:

I was genuinely on the edge of my seat.

:agreed: That was pretty drat cool. I mean, ladder company fire trucks have been doing that for years, but what a sweet application of the same technology.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

lmao there's nothing in that gif that a robo-truck wouldn't be able to do faster and more reliably

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

FuturePastNow posted:

lmao there's nothing in that gif that a robo-truck wouldn't be able to do faster and more reliably

But the gif wasn't of the truck mistaking the side of another truck for the sky and decapitating its owner?

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

IPCRESS posted:

But the gif wasn't of the truck mistaking the side of another truck for the sky and decapitating its owner?

The rollout of autonomous driving and trucking is going to be filled with hilarious early bugs like that.

Like the Google car that could not deal with a cyclist doing a track stand:
http://www.roboticstrends.com/article/a_cyclists_encounter_with_an_indecisive_google_self_driving_car

It will sometimes be fatal.

And it will still be safer than human driving despite people only seeing the outliers. Like seat belts and airbags, people are going to have stories of the one time their uncle totally got thrown clear of the burning car or the airbag decapitated someone.

Anta fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 12, 2017

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Anta posted:

The rollout of autonomous driving and trucking is going to be filled with hilarious early bugs like that.

Like the Google car that could not deal with a cyclist doing a track stand:
http://www.roboticstrends.com/article/a_cyclists_encounter_with_an_indecisive_google_self_driving_car

It will sometimes be fatal.

And it will still be safer than human driving despite people only seeing the outliers. Like seat belts and airbags, people are going to have stories of the one time their uncle totally got thrown clear of the burning car or the airbag decapitated someone.

Hot take: autonomous trucking will never come to the US.

We live in a country that can't loving even establish positive track control on its busiest rail corridors despite like a decade of effort and multiple mass casualty incidents that would have been prevented by it. Plus what's going to happen when your Walmart Robo-Truck breaks down in the middle of nowhere? Who's going to be responsible for the cargo?

Autonomous vehicles are awesome and amazing, but deployment will be expensive and come with liability that won't be worth it to shippers. I just don't think it will be practical to replace the current solution of using overworked and underpaid humans who take on a lions share of the cost, hardship, and risk.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hubis posted:

We live in a country that can't loving even establish positive track control on its busiest rail corridors despite like a decade of effort and multiple mass casualty incidents that would have been prevented by it. Plus what's going to happen when your Walmart Robo-Truck breaks down in the middle of nowhere? Who's going to be responsible for the cargo?

Autonomous vehicles are awesome and amazing, but deployment will be expensive and come with liability that won't be worth it to shippers. I just don't think it will be practical to replace the current solution of using overworked and underpaid humans who take on a lions share of the cost, hardship, and risk.

At least one company will try it (walmart or whoever) and if it saves them a penny a year everyone else will follow

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Things will likely go semi-autonomous for quite a while before full autonomy is even an option. Keep a warm meatbag in the cab to trigger SmartSteering when needed, or take over on the long tail where there's a lot of dense traffic, but let auto-pilot handle the boring fly-over parts. Would probably be better for ergonomics, too, if the driver can move around the cab and not have to be in a driving-capable position for the whole drive.

Though that's my optimistic view. Like Hubis, I doubt fully autonomous vehicles will ever work on a broad scale in the US. State laws are too variable, and yeah, if we can't handle rail, we're too dumb for the rest of this poo poo.

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008
I know battery talk was a couple pages ago, but looks like some researcher was able to develop a non-flammable solid electrolyte for lithium batteries:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/tech/new-damage-proof-battery-has-higher-energy-density-wont-explode/

Which makes it possible to use lithium metal instead of ions for more energy density.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Hubis posted:

No matter what level of automation, you're probably looking at someone always being in the truck, or very nearby for security reasons. Otherwise, it would be painfully easy to start robbing autonomous trucks on the highway.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

*masked bandits approach a dark highway in the middle of the night armed only with bags of salt*
*magical shapes are drawn with the salt on the road, this spell results in the truck slowing down and pulling over into a designated location and being easily cleaned out*

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Bird in a Blender posted:

No matter what level of automation, you're probably looking at someone always being in the truck, or very nearby for security reasons. Otherwise, it would be painfully easy to start robbing autonomous trucks on the highway.

Easy solution: Automated machine guns mounted to the inside of the cargo container, container is opened in some way prior to the next stop, blast those motherfuckers.

Or, Skynet

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

Things will likely go semi-autonomous for quite a while before full autonomy is even an option. Keep a warm meatbag in the cab to trigger SmartSteering when needed, or take over on the long tail where there's a lot of dense traffic, but let auto-pilot handle the boring fly-over parts. Would probably be better for ergonomics, too, if the driver can move around the cab and not have to be in a driving-capable position for the whole drive.

Though that's my optimistic view. Like Hubis, I doubt fully autonomous vehicles will ever work on a broad scale in the US. State laws are too variable, and yeah, if we can't handle rail, we're too dumb for the rest of this poo poo.

Yeah, the most likely path I see it taking is as an autonomous "co-pilot" that would ostensibly be there as a backup to reduce accidents due to fatigue or whatever, but in practice would probably do most of the driving while the meatbag was there in case of outlying circumstances (bad weather, mechanical failure, etc). Even then I only think it will happen if the technology becomes incredibly cheap (which is possible or even likely given time) and shows a net benefit in terms of insurance discounts/loss reduction/the ability to push even crazier hours on drivers.

And on the subject, I can't help but think you're more likely to see it on trains first, simply because the number of factors that need to be accounted for are way more controlled.

MF_James posted:

Or, Skynet

Close

E:

lol

Hubis fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 12, 2017

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Am I allowed to get blackout drunk in a self driving car?

[edit] I can see it now.

:cop: I'm giving you a DUI.
:v: Driving under the influence? But I wasn't driving!
:cop: I don't see another person in the car, sir!

And then a Judge rules AI as "a person" and then there'll be AI Rights activists and AI Voting protests and it's all downhill from there.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 12, 2017

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The big benefit of autonomous trucks will eventually be that the driver can go "off duty" and be in the sleeper compartment while the truck does all the easy driving. This lets the truck essentially run 24/7 without the need to have multiple drivers, in a similar way to how airliners doing transoceanic routes will have two crews, one for takeoff and landing, one for the long, boring middle part.

Autonomous trucks have the advantage that, if conditions get outside programming and the driver doesn't take control, it can pull off or just plain stop and put on hazard lights without killing dozens, if not hundreds, of people.

And to the person who wonders what happens when the programming mistakes some part of another truck for the sky, well, that's an accident, at least until every car has a transponder like aircraft. It isn't hard to envision a future where every vehicle has a device that talks to other vehicles as a safety device.

Also, you should also remember that in a bit under half of all traffic accidents, neither side applies their brakes until after the initial collision. Autonomous vehicles won't eliminate accidents, but they sure as hell can stop a lot of them.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

This will be how the survivors of the purge of the working class eke out a living once all the jobs are gone.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

GotLag posted:

This will be how the survivors of the purge of the working class eke out a living once all the jobs are gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyDm6NvJRK8

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's painfully easy to rob trucks right now. most of it gets done in truck stops while the driver is sleeping.

I posted this a while ago but it's more relevant now.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

Hubis posted:

Positive track control is:
  • a huge investment
  • not a direct cost saving or added revenue

which means that rail companies have to be forced to implement it, there is no direct profit motive.

Self-driving trucks use existing infrastructure and give the operator the option to run trucks 24/7, without having to pay for a driver. Those two alone probably make it worth running autonomous trucks with no driver, even with losses from highway robbery and breakdowns. And the investment is borne by the truck manufacturers who want to sell these things. From the operator perspective, you can start small with just a few of the things.

They way I think it will work is autonomous trucks with no onboard driver, instead, there's a remote control option where a single driver can control/monitor multiple trucks, only taking over if the AI can't handle whatever the situation is.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ak Gara posted:

Am I allowed to get blackout drunk in a self driving car?

[edit] I can see it now.

:cop: I'm giving you a DUI.
:v: Driving under the influence? But I wasn't driving!
:cop: I don't see another person in the car, sir!

And then a Judge rules AI as "a person" and then there'll be AI Rights activists and AI Voting protests and it's all downhill from there.

Only in a level 4 or higher car (the point at which the driver is not expected to ever have to take direct control).

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

There are still gonna be dudes in trucks if only to sign shipping paperwork

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Self-driving trucks probably won't be completely autonomous, they'll just have a babysitter "driver" who makes a little over minimum wage.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

FuturePastNow posted:

Self-driving trucks probably won't be completely autonomous, they'll just have a babysitter "driver" who makes a little over minimum wage.

Will he still be drugged out of his mind and operating on 3 hours of sleep?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

FuturePastNow posted:

They will be fully driverless/attendant-less eventually, for sure. There are already driverless autonomous vehicle prototypes and there's no technical limitation.

People seriously overestimate their ability to perceive and handle obstacles while driving. A computer system doesn't look away from the road even once to check the a/c or whatever, and can look in all directions at once. And as long as they don't program "brake-check or tailgate strangers because gently caress them for some reason" into the AI it will be safer across the board, even with existing retarded drivers to compete with in the medium-term.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Baronjutter posted:

Will he still be drugged out of his mind and operating on 3 hours of sleep?
Search your feelings, young padawan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

There are still gonna be dudes in trucks if only to sign shipping paperwork
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL6ujBsW8pg