Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SpacePig posted:

I actually looked into this, because the idea that a drink would be named in that way and then pretty widely adopted was sort of insane to me. Ends up the Oxford English Dictionary has an instance of it that predates the militant group by about 40 years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_and_Tan

However, the ice cream was also apparently release as a St. Patrick's Day item, so I can understand why some folks would be upset.

Neat! Puck Magazine was pretty anti-Irish though so there might have been some connotation that led to the group being named that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

SpacePig posted:

However, the ice cream was also apparently release as a St. Patrick's Day item, so I can understand why some folks would be upset.

Yeah basically. These things never come to Ireland usually but they always show up when companies try to cash in on oirishness for Paddy's Day which is in fact a dumb marketing move when that term has widespread negative connotations here.

e: They were called black and tans because of their uniforms a la redcoats

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bars in the US still serve irish car bombs and I don't see anyone complaining about that

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Now I'm imagining the outrage if someone made a 9/11 drink, like two double shots lit on fire or something

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Bars in the US still serve irish car bombs and I don't see anyone complaining about that

If a big drinks company had an official one then they would for sure. So this is actually a really bad point.

e: Also again if you do any googling you'll see plenty of places refuse to serve them or just rename them bombs

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

Now I'm imagining the outrage if someone made a 9/11 drink, like two double shots lit on fire or something

It's been done.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 01:36 on Jul 12, 2017

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Whoooo that's a spicy take. Don't name things after murderers. It's not like "Black and Tan" is some phrase multiple countries have with multiple meanings. It's specifically an Irish thing, and the drink was made up by English bigots to mock the people their government had murdered.

It is in fact possible for something to be in poor taste, and nobody's impressed by an edgelord.

Ben and Jerry's were not being "edgelords," you moron, undoubtedly they like 95% of Americans were completely unfamiliar with 1920s Irish-based British paramilitary groups, and only knew "Black and Tan" as being two colors and a drink. Again, this would be completely different if the proposed ice cream color was being sold or marketed in Ireland, but it wasn't.

This is more in the realm of "Americans getting offended about an Australian commercial that prominently showed a black man in a crowd scene eating fried chicken." (which was a real thing that happened)

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Phanatic posted:

It's been done.

I should have known better

edit: Heros :(

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Sucrose posted:

"Americans getting offended about an Australian commercial that prominently showed a black man in a crowd scene eating fried chicken." (which was a real thing that happened)

Well the essential part you are missing is that Ben and Jerry's and Nike both marketed their products to coincide with St. Patrick's Day so it's not like it was supposed to be totally divorced from Irishness. When looked at with that lens it's quite different than them just referring to a drink. Obviously it's a genuine mistake and being offended by it is silly but it's absolutely a dumb move in marketing.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

EmmyOk posted:

Well the essential part you are missing is that Ben and Jerry's and Nike both marketed their products to coincide with St. Patrick's Day so it's not like it was supposed to be totally divorced from Irishness.

Yeah. Because of the Guinness.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Yeah. Because of the Guineas

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Mu Zeta posted:

anecdotal but my Irish friends were absolutely horrified to learn of the existence of Irish car bombs

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Everyone knows that this is offensive to the Irish, they just don't care that it's offensive. I've heard it's a good way to potentially lose some teeth in the wrong bar, though.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

On the subject of the Irish getting offended about alcohol, my sister learned in bartending school that of the two major labels of Irish Whiskey, you serve one to Irish Catholic patrons and one to Irish Protestants, and God help you if you get it wrong. Not a PR thing, but germane to the conversation at hand.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Qylvaran posted:

On the subject of the Irish getting offended about alcohol, my sister learned in bartending school that of the two major labels of Irish Whiskey, you serve one to Irish Catholic patrons and one to Irish Protestants, and God help you if you get it wrong. Not a PR thing, but germane to the conversation at hand.

I think this must be a myth because literally everywhere serves Jameson and Bushmills and we don't have that many distilleries so you can end up with Bushmills that was made in a Jameson distillery and vice versa. Probably a plastic paddy thing tbh.

Hopefully a more straightforward example that won't requite a viva, from a UK company after the Aurora shooting.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

I think this must be a myth...

Fair. It was nothing but hearsay on my part. Sorry for spreading misinformation.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

I think this must be a myth because literally everywhere serves Jameson and Bushmills and we don't have that many distilleries so you can end up with Bushmills that was made in a Jameson distillery and vice versa. Probably a plastic paddy thing tbh.

Hopefully a more straightforward example that won't requite a viva, from a UK company after the Aurora shooting.

It's the wink that makes it.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Qylvaran posted:

Poison both

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Lycos was always the coolest sounding search engine.

WebCrawler, because it was like a spider crawling around "the web" to find things.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

EmmyOk posted:

Literally just said "Oh noooooooooooo" out loud. Also I love the term "plastic paddy," thank you for teaching it to me :v:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I like Paddy whiskey as well.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Not as bad as the "YOU RETARD" on a bottle of viatmin water

Even better, the person who got it has a kid with a developmentally disabled kid

http://m.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/09/18/coca-cola-you-retard-cap_n_3951264.html

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

EmmyOk posted:

Ah, a classic. It's the "Clearly" that really seals it.

Content: from Chinese phone manufacturer Oppo (who has ties to OnePlus, which makes this even funnier if you've followed that trainwreck of a company)

Sir Lemming has a new favorite as of 14:08 on Jul 12, 2017

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The insistence that "retard" is so horrible to be "the R-word!!!!" is really strange.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Sir Lemming posted:

Ah, a classic. It's the "Clearly" that really seals it.

Content: from Chinese phone manufacturer Oppo (who has ties to OnePlus, which makes this even funnier if you've followed that trainwreck of a company)

It’s remarkable how huge a chunk of beloved pop culture suddenly became creepy.

Yeah, I bet you’ll have lots of fun with Picture Pages, you sick gently caress. Lots of fun with your crayon and your pencil.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

EmmyOk posted:

Not denying it's a myth in Ireland, I have no way of knowing. It did actually come up in The Wire once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjVzGYZLhvo

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Byzantine posted:

The insistence that "retard" is so horrible to be "the R-word!!!!" is really strange.

My uncle has severe FAS and has to live in a group home; after growing up defending him their whole lives my father's been anti-calling-poo poo-retarded for 40 years. It's not a new sjw thing and it's not strange: calling poo poo retarded hurts people and that's mean, sorry you think it's strange that people don't like it when you're mean i guess ?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Byzantine posted:

It's not terribly unreasonable, I think. The idea of getting someone to stop calling something a "brake retarder" because of the negative connotations is a bit silly, but having a program where, by random chance, the phrase "YOU RETARD" in all-caps could appear on a bottle in a primarily English speaking area is kind of insane. It's probably something a French distributor would overlook, but someone English speaking at Coke Canada probably should've caught it.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

Have we passed the point where this kind of mistake is the norm for companies? I remember it being a bigger problem a few years ago but nowadays it doesn't seem to happen as much. Don't tell me corporations have actually learned something about social media.

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

InediblePenguin posted:

My uncle has severe FAS and has to live in a group home; after growing up defending him their whole lives my father's been anti-calling-poo poo-retarded for 40 years. It's not a new sjw thing and it's not strange: calling poo poo retarded hurts people and that's mean, sorry you think it's strange that people don't like it when you're mean i guess ?

I'm allowed to say it. Some of my best friends are retards. I'm almost like an honorary retard.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's completely fine to get upset over "retard" and it was entirely appropriate for Coke to apologize to this guy but at the same time he did kind of go massively above and beyond the call of duty with his letter. Like, at some level you have to know stuff like this is, at worst, a badly vetted random process and doesn't really merit a lecture, right?

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's completely fine to get upset over "retard" and it was entirely appropriate for Coke to apologize to this guy but at the same time he did kind of go massively above and beyond the call of duty with his letter. Like, at some level you have to know stuff like this is, at worst, a badly vetted random process and doesn't really merit a lecture, right?

If the random process is so badly vetted that it allows for slurs, then yes, of course it merits a lecture for the company that made the process. Probably much more than a lecture, in fact. How is this even a question?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It looks like the type of letter you send someone that crippled you with a hit and run with a truck and ruined your life by making you suffer from PTSD. Not some dumb words on a sugar drink.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I can call someone niggardly and when they get all upset say, "well actually..."

But I won't because it upsets people so it's easier to just call them Scottish.

So don't say stuff that upsets people when there are perfectly good other words you can use.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That’s stupid.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Itd be better if the English language was boiled down to like 78 words

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Platystemon posted:

That’s stupid.

Ssh. You'll upset stupid people. Try using a different word.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Platystemon posted:

That’s stupid.

No you.:v:

But seriously. I used the word "retarded" as a kid until my retarded cousin overheard me say it to someone else, and got pretty hurt by it. I also used to use the word "human being" a lot more back before I knew any better, and made an effort to stop after my best friend came out as gay. I'll still say them on occasion, usually when directly quoting a movie or old flash cartoon or something, but I certainly don't use either word in public places, much less polite conversation. It's not unreasonable to watch how you speak to and around other people.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I know of no one who 100% believes we should say anything we want at any time.

I do know a fair number of people who think there should be no safe spaces, but then freak out when someone says something they don't agree with. We're all overly sensitive fucktards who occasionally need a time out.

oldpainless posted:

More like oldspeechless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

oldpainless posted:

You sure you're up for learning another 7 words?