Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/adagamov/status/883913708988231680

The body of one of the greatest hockey players of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://www.si.com/nhl/2017/06/12/pittsburgh-penguins-2018-stanley-cup-favorites

It appears that the Pittsburgh Penguins are favored to win the Stanley Cup in 2018.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
the annual citizen tayne meltdown/probation/banning takes the sting out of a successful pittsburgh sports team, if i can be frank

Apr 7, 2003

Wonderllama posted:

the annual citizen tayne meltdown/probation/banning takes the sting out of a successful pittsburgh sports team, if i can be frank

You mean the part where I win epically and the hockey thread has a meltdown? Gonna own to repeat it in 2018.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Citizen Tayne posted:

You mean the part where I win epically and the hockey thread has a meltdown? Gonna own to repeat it in 2018.

Dare I say it, but you sir are indeed, the Donald Trump of the Something Awful hockey forums.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wonderllama posted:

Here's a thought, don't feed the troll.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Tayne is pretty funny and I'm glad he's back. You could say his posting is something I can get into.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

Tayne is pretty funny and I'm glad he's back. You could say his posting is something I can get into.

It's like may contain peanuts' toxx but less funny

Apr 7, 2003

iospace posted:

Here's a thought, don't feed the troll.

You heard it here first, winners are trolls.

Apr 7, 2003

*looks at the win/loss column* I can't handle all this trolling

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I am sentimental and would like to see Jagr sign with the Penguins.

I am also going to preemptively call anyone an idiot who thinks he can't keep up with fast forwards, game comes to Jagr, Jagr not come to game.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Gunjin posted:

It's vague as poo poo, but it's in there.

Yeah, I dunno what PPP was talking about there. Summer LTIR is very much a thing and has been since the first CBA. In terms of available cap space it's far better to figure out how to cram the injured guys onto your opening day roster and then throw them onto LTIR, but there's nothing stopping you from putting them on LTIR in the summer (except for the fact that you'd end up with a bit less additional cap space during the season).

T-Bone posted:

I am sentimental and would like to see Jagr sign with the Penguins.

I am also going to preemptively call anyone an idiot who thinks he can't keep up with fast forwards, game comes to Jagr, Jagr not come to game.

I would love to see the Canucks sign Jagr and put him with the twins to make the slowest, cyclist line in the history of the sport.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

ThinkTank posted:

I would love to see the Canucks sign Jagr and put him with the twins to make the slowest, cyclist line in the history of the sport.

My second choice would be the Sharks with Jumbo but this would be fun too.

Actually he'd be a good fit for the Capitals if they could somehow get him under the cap. Maybe Nashville to replace Neal.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Leonsis would never let the Caps sign Jagr, even if he took league minimum to play on the 3rd line, dude holds a grudge.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

T-Bone posted:

My second choice would be the Sharks with Jumbo but this would be fun too.

Actually he'd be a good fit for the Capitals if they could somehow get him under the cap. Maybe Nashville to replace Neal.

Irony of irony would be Jagr playing next year with the Caps and leads Caps to the Cup

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I gave up any grudge toward Jagr when he basically straight-up apologized for not living up to expectations in DC. It would be hilarious to bring him back here.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
He'd honestly be perfect for them but for ~history~ and well the cap of course. I think mentally he'd be a good addition too for that group but oh well

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I'd take Jagr back on a cheap deal I really don't give a poo poo about 15 years ago. I'm pretty sure Tom Wilson is their second line right wing right now which seems less than ideal???

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mind_Taker posted:

I really don't give a poo poo about 15 years ago.

Mods?!

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
If you're doing SAS fantasy draft we've sort of started, though the draft clock's not starting til tomorrow.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

I'd take Jagr back on a cheap deal

This is likely the problem. I'm guessing he wants a lot more than anyone's willing to pay

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
he's still worth 4 mil for 1 season, probably

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Even I would probably root for a Penguins threepeat if they signed Jagr. That's just too good of a story, and I basically only watch hockey for the narrative these days.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
no story that ends with the pens winning the cup is a good story

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

a false posted:

:yeah:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
If Jagr just wanted money he'd have already signed with the KHL or an even crappier league.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

a false posted:

i dunno

last year's ended with the sharks losing it so that was pretty okay

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/SportsCentre/status/885163049451225088

$5.3 mil AAV. That's a good deal for a defenseman who's probably not well known.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
definitely did not know there was an NHL hockey player named jaccob slavin

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

bewbies posted:

Or that he was worth $5m+/year.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He's solid, but more importantly he had an awesome response when a reporter asked after a hat trick when the last time he had one was, he goes "Probably in mites?". Which is hockey for like, 8 year olds I believe.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

bewbies posted:

Who the hell spells it Jaccob?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a game theory maneuver.

Condition people to think of you with an extra C and within a few years boom, Captain.

Grant Some employs a similar trick.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Seems like a good deal to me. Slavin is real good and he's only 23. Contract could look like a bargain in a hurry.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Carolina is quietly assembling a half-decent young team.
Shame about their owner.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

Who the hell spells it Jaccob?

Have you met white people

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Since people know who Slevin is, I assume that someone is watching Hurricanes games. So, what's the deal with Hanifin? Is he still projected to be a top D? Is he taking the Hedman route of waiting a few years before becoming elite?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I probably catch 20 or so Canes games a year and my impression is that Hanifin is fine. He's still only 19 and averaged like 18-20 minutes a game. His numbers improved across the board so, like you said, I think it's just going to be a bit of a slow development and he'll have a breakout year sometime soon. He's definitely real close. He bounced around and had a few partners, but when Hainsey was traded to Pittsburgh he started getting a lot more important minutes and his statistics were even better than when he was getting sheltered/depth minutes. It wouldn't surprise me if he takes a big step forward, in terms of offensive production, next season considering how well he played at the tail end of last year. They usually play him with Pesce or Faulk and he has a lot of good chemistry with those guys.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

Since people know who Slevin is, I assume that someone is watching Hurricanes games. So, what's the deal with Hanifin? Is he still projected to be a top D? Is he taking the Hedman route of waiting a few years before becoming elite?
The amount of defensemen who broke out at age 20 is quite small, and it includes guys like Phaneuf and Myers.

I don't think he was ever supposed to be as good as Hedman was, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
The Wings are apparently still in talks with Vanek, but I guess the hitch is shedding salary elsewhere. Despite having all the trappings of an idiotic Holland move, signing Vanek on the cheap and shipping him out at the deadline would probably be worth it.

Tatar is also asking for 6 million but and beat writers are arguing that the Teej contract might pull him down to 5 million. He's one of like 3 moveable assets on the team and he's also not going to be worth his contract by the time team recovers, so just trade him, my dudes.

Trade Tatar. Slot Vanek in. Tank and collect assets. The end.

• Locked thread