Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Let's just hope he's more proactive about that stuff when "The Mighty Eighth" comes out in 2019. :negative:

Judging from the trailer for it from a while back we already know the answer it's no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

MikeCrotch posted:

Judging from the trailer for it from a while back we already know the answer it's no

What do you mean? Of course a B-17 can maintain level flight with a second B-17 lying upside down on top of it!

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

my kinda ape posted:

What do you mean? Of course a B-17 can maintain level flight with a second B-17 lying upside down on top of it!

That actually happened!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MikeCrotch posted:

Pretty sure that trailer was made before they actually started filming the show.

But yeah, it was not good.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I will not believe it is going to be an accurate portrayal of the daylight bombing campaign over Germany until they confirm that there is a scene where LeMay is pleasuring himself with reconnaissance photos of gutted German cities.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/us-air-force-now-training-29-super-tucano-21510

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Honestly NATO is a good thing for everyone and should be expanded as widely as possible. Russia wants in? Why the gently caress not? Article 5 already only applies to defensive wars, and if nothing else it would create a snowball effect. The best of all possible worlds would be a NATO-like organization that encompassed basically every country on the planet so that if any single rear end in a top hat decided to grab a chunk of his neighbor he'd get dogpiled by everyone else.
1) This runs into the hilarious problem of trying to decide "OK, any land you seized by force before right... now is A-OK, but anything after this point is no good. Sorry, Palestinians.

2) How can you, as a German history major, think that formal treaties would be any obstacle to a bellicose nation that wanted to wage war? If we let Russia into NATO, the GRU would spend their time slurping up NATO/SECRET, planting bugs, and sowing dissent, and then when they decided to invade Lithuania (or whoever) they would insist that it was a defensive action because a Lithuanian soldier/threw a grenade across the border.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
Anyone want a makers plate off a Destroyer that saw action in WW2? https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/Brass-Plate-from-USS-Hopewell/36719998/LotDetail.asp?lid=36719998

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I'd rather buy this.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

LingcodKilla posted:

I'd rather buy this.

I would pay more than $125 for that.

I looked around and found the USS Hopewell Association, they're still having reunions and such so I forwarded the info to them since it would probably mean the most to them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Well I'm driving through Tacoma tomorrow and can check if it's still at the shop I saw it in if you like.
I barely need an excuse to go antiquing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

I would pay more than $125 for that.

I think $125 is about right. It's not from THAT Wahoo.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

MrYenko posted:

I think $125 is about right. It's not from THAT Wahoo.

I'm assuming you're sarcastic. The ashtray literally has the hull number stamped on it. 565 did there best to try to live up to their name sake but the Cold War only afford so many opportunities for valor.

Still wish I had 'kept' more random poo poo from my boat. Among other things I've got a reactor coolant pump breaker phase contact. (Giant chunk of copper for you laypeople)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm assuming you're sarcastic. The ashtray literally has the hull number stamped on it. 565 did there best to try to live up to their name sake but the Cold War only afford so many opportunities for valor.

Still wish I had 'kept' more random poo poo from my boat. Among other things I've got a reactor coolant pump breaker phase contact. (Giant chunk of copper for you laypeople)

I want to ask what kind of current rating that can handle but I also don't want to get blackholed by the opsec wizard

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

You're really underselling busbars; these off Wikipedia are 1500A ones:

Yes they're usually open to the air like that, why wouldn't they be?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
There's an image floating around somewhere of a setup like that with a warning something like "Live Wire Do Not Touch Instant Death" and next to it, "$500 fine".

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
On the topic of the US military and climate change....

truth stranger fiction etc (throws phone)

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Oh Jesus Christ

on more cheerful topics:
probably not the thread to ask, but is there a consensus on how good/fun helo the Mi-8 is?
And what's the worst (shoddily made, etc) copy of a Soviet tank out there?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

JcDent posted:

And what's the worst (shoddily made, etc) copy of a Soviet tank out there?

The export models.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mi-8 is a utility helo, and it does that job well. Never seen it described as "fun."

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Dandywalken posted:

Mi-8 is a utility helo, and it does that job well. Never seen it described as "fun."

I've heard it's barrels of fun.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Dude.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Speaking of Syria:

https://twitter.com/halaljew/status/884128259692261377/video/1

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

drat that cold.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

*Rolls up newspaper and whacks mlmp08 over the head*
No! Bad joke, bad.

Fake edit: Ok, be honest, which one you bought this? :caro:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
:lol: That's been around for a while. Before he was recovered.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

With all the positive feedback loops like permafrost methane and ice albedo apparently built into the system and our stubborn refusal to take action I kinda wonder if we haven't maybe missed the boat already.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Really? How have I've never noticed, now I'm going to have to use it in everything.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I'd really like to see some decorated military representatives walk into the appropriate halls of government and start letting rip. I'd also like to know if the Democrats are doing anything with this free pass to rip on the Republics about this?

Throatwarbler posted:

This isn't in the ME but India and Pakistan are having an ATGM duel along the LoC right now. ATGM duels are a thing now.

Post is from the ME thread but I have a question, why aren't Anti-Personnel Guided Missiles a thing? Like, I know that the role of blowing up mans who are far away up is a task suited for artillery or air support historically as if something is worth shooting it's worth shooting a lot, but often air power is used to bring down precision "no, THIS building!" fire. It seems to me it would be much cheaper and even more effective as now you can have the men on the ground engaging and destroying targets that they have in LoS and of a known location. You could even use it to attack particular windows/floors of buildings. I know that guided stuff is generally more expensive, but we're already at the point of multiple actors using ATGMs as a poor man's precision artillery, why not optimize it for the role?

Also, going by the OG-7 style RPG-7 warhead it isn't like you need a big gently caress-off warhead on the thing to do the job, and thus can make the missile smaller and more portable. I know one argument would be that in a peer-on-peer fight such systems wouldn't be as useful, but that could be allayed somewhat by equipping the missile with a HEDP warhead that is sufficient for wrecking not-tanks and having most of the explosive directed towards fragmentation.

I also know that, of course, the Russians have ideas about putting Thermobarics (+2 HE, +2 to war crimes score) on things like the Metis-M, but IIRC they've never adopted or exported such a thing.

gently caress, I should go to the appropriate company here in Russia and pitch an idea for a warhead replacement kit for say, the Malyutka. It'd probably sell well!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Xerxes17 posted:

I'd really like to see some decorated military representatives walk into the appropriate halls of government and start letting rip. I'd also like to know if the Democrats are doing anything with this free pass to rip on the Republics about this?

Post is from the ME thread but I have a question, why aren't Anti-Personnel Guided Missiles a thing? Like, I know that the role of blowing up mans who are far away up is a task suited for artillery or air support historically as if something is worth shooting it's worth shooting a lot, but often air power is used to bring down precision "no, THIS building!" fire. It seems to me it would be much cheaper and even more effective as now you can have the men on the ground engaging and destroying targets that they have in LoS and of a known location. You could even use it to attack particular windows/floors of buildings. I know that guided stuff is generally more expensive, but we're already at the point of multiple actors using ATGMs as a poor man's precision artillery, why not optimize it for the role?

Also, going by the OG-7 style RPG-7 warhead it isn't like you need a big gently caress-off warhead on the thing to do the job, and thus can make the missile smaller and more portable. I know one argument would be that in a peer-on-peer fight such systems wouldn't be as useful, but that could be allayed somewhat by equipping the missile with a HEDP warhead that is sufficient for wrecking not-tanks and having most of the explosive directed towards fragmentation.

I also know that, of course, the Russians have ideas about putting Thermobarics (+2 HE, +2 to war crimes score) on things like the Metis-M, but IIRC they've never adopted or exported such a thing.

gently caress, I should go to the appropriate company here in Russia and pitch an idea for a warhead replacement kit for say, the Malyutka. It'd probably sell well!

Not a missile but its openly published that the ARL and ONR have been working on getting 81mm and 60mm guided mortars going with the intention to extend range and bring precision strike down to whatever level trucks around 81mm mortars.

How is it that they manage to shoot worse than the arabs. loving holding it by the mag? What?

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015
I've heard apocryphal tales of Javelin being used as a counter-sniper weapon in Afghanistan, does that count?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

inkjet_lakes posted:

I've heard apocryphal tales of Javelin being used as a counter-sniper weapon in Afghanistan, does that count?

That seems like it would be a useful way to deal with a sniper shooting thru a hole in a wall.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

CarForumPoster posted:

Not a missile but its openly published that the ARL and ONR have been working on getting 81mm and 60mm guided mortars going with the intention to extend range and bring precision strike down to whatever level trucks around 81mm mortars.

How is it that they manage to shoot worse than the arabs. loving holding it by the mag? What?

What side are they even on?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

priznat posted:

That seems like it would be a useful way to deal with a sniper shooting thru a hole in a wall.

It's incredibly inefficient from a cost perspective, but yeah, an ATGM can be incredibly accurate out to several thousand yards and will murder things directly behind just about any wall it hits. They also often come paired with infrared optics that can make spotting an otherwise hidden person at great distances possible. They're also pretty drat hard to see coming at long range and the target likely won't see or hear it until it hits.

Things like guided mortars and the XM25 fill similar niches - infantry can hit very precisely from outside normal effective rifle ranges on the first shot.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 13, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

aphid_licker posted:

With all the positive feedback loops like permafrost methane and ice albedo apparently built into the system and our stubborn refusal to take action I kinda wonder if we haven't maybe missed the boat already.

Yeah there's like two years left to duck 2.5 degrees and nobody within a hundred miles of political power is even talking about the kind of investment needed to pull it off. 8 degrees by 2100 (the worst case scenario as projected in 2000) is looking optimistic at the rate we keep getting bad news.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: in an economy with investment dollars sloshing around with nowhere to go, record low labor participation, and the most serious existential threat to human civilization in a thousand years clearly in sight, it's insane that nobody is prepared to take action.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mlmp08 posted:

:vince:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

LingcodKilla posted:

What side are they even on?

Who cares I just don't want them to make it back...inshallah.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

CarForumPoster posted:

Who cares I just don't want them to make it back...inshallah.

They won't last a day without their braggadocio behavior getting reported and then getting picked up for a gitmo stay.

Most likely they will die over there and be tossed in a ditch.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Warbadger posted:

It's incredibly inefficient from a cost perspective, but yeah, an ATGM can be incredibly accurate out to several thousand yards and will murder things directly behind just about any wall it hits. They also often come paired with infrared optics that can make spotting an otherwise hidden person at great distances possible. They're also pretty drat hard to see coming at long range and the target likely won't see or hear it until it hits.

Things like guided mortars and the XM25 fill similar niches - infantry can hit very precisely from outside normal effective rifle ranges on the first shot.

I was going to say it would be cost inefficient but then I thought the alternative is probably getting some CAS which would probably cost even more :haw: (depending on the plane delivering the package).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

aphid_licker posted:

It's too big and complex to really make a hard call about what the tipping point is. Considering current US Gov't attitudes about climate change, under Trump, it's likely we're hurtling very close to it. But it would require a large, internationally coordinated effort to really impact it at this point and I don't know if anyone has the will for that.