Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
this conversation comes around every now and then and i say it every time: the waffle top is the best thing the military invented and the woobie is overrated.

yeah, i said it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I never got a waffle top, only the bottoms. :smith: I still have those and wear them in the winter

i kept the polypros, the lighter ones they ended up putting out instead of those 1/4in thick ones I got the first time in

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
All soldiers should be fitted for prosthetic dicks and a pair of tits to be worn at all times so that they're truly equal

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Zeris posted:

All soldiers should be fitted for prosthetic dicks and a pair of tits to be worn at all times so that they're truly equal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrison_Bergeron

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

TBeats posted:

you know what is comfortable?

just about everything not an army uniform.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I have like 5 sets of waffles because the Army won't stop giving me new ones. Poncho liner is also awesome. My poncho liner sleeping bag is even better.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Smoking jacket, hands down.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

A Bad Poster posted:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mustang posted:

I have like 5 sets of waffles because the Army won't stop giving me new ones. Poncho liner is also awesome. My poncho liner sleeping bag is even better.

Just say woobie weirdo

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Pesticide20 posted:

Just say woobie weirdo

He's an officer and they don't use that uneducated caveman enlisted speak

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
liner, poncho, woodland 1 ea

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Mustang posted:

Is the ACU jacket with the weird elastic band around the waist the maternity version? If so I just saw a male CW5 walking around wearing one
There's a wind jacket that has an elastic waistband. That might be what you saw. Name tapes in the regular places, but rank above the Army tape?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Naked Bear posted:

There's a wind jacket that has an elastic waistband. That might be what you saw. Name tapes in the regular places, but rank above the Army tape?
One weird piece of gear that CSMs hate! You won't believe it's authorized!

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Naked Bear posted:

One weird piece of gear that CSMs hate! You won't believe it's authorized!

That's the fuzzy jacket that only they are allowed to wear.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

A Bad Poster posted:

My wife stole my smoking jacket. Mostly cause it attracts cat cuddles.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

My favorite piece of military clothing is the boonie hat. Partly due to the fact that it's highly functional at protecting you from the sun, but mostly because SNCOs almost universally despise it. Oh yeah, and our BDE commander mandated it for all personnel while not in battle rattle during my deployment to Afghanistan, which made it even better.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

My most prized possession is my black wool watchcap. Toasty warm.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

tastefully arranged labia posted:

My most prized possession is my black wool watchcap. Toasty warm.

i have the olive drab one (i think i actually have two of them) and i like it

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I threw a lot of my poo poo into a dumpster as soon as I signed out on terminal leave. Donated the waffles to Goodwill--maybe they're keeping someone warm.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
loving army sweat pants

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Grognan posted:

loving army sweat pants

My favorite part was how they were designed to not fit at all. Tight around the mid hip, but somehow still loose around the waist. Tight in the thighs, but loose around the knees.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i have no idea waht happened to mine but i'm pretty certain they're still filled with vomit coated saw dust from basic training smoke pits

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Good things about the Army lately:

In my battalion, the sleeve rolling policy is gently caress all free. None of that "one rolls, all roll", bullshit. You roll and your buddy doesn't, whatever, no one says anything. I like rolled sleeves, but some do not and it's awesome we don't have to match. Second good thing, t-shirt and no hat is an acceptable working uniform, unlike in many units that my friends bitch about. So that's cool and good. Third, we can use combat shirts and combat pants during any activity if we want besides straight up office work.

Finally, my sergeant believes it is my name's fault, it being a hyphenated first name, and a last name of "Vähäkylä", that causes most tables and lists to break. Every time I go to CIF, I get brand new poo poo all the time. Camelbaks, eyepro, kneepads, waffles, ACUs, all individual issue I have now gotten 5 loving times, and always the same story. "It doesn't seem like you were issued a Goretex before", as I roll out with my fifth expensive jacket. I wonder when it's gonna catch up to me. I'm drowning in mountains of poo poo. Lol, some people didn't even get issued combat uniforms, and I got them two times here in Italy, so now I can deck out a fire team from my drawer.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Eagerly anticipating hearing about how CIF turn in goes for you. And knowing how awful government systems are, that guy's probably right and your name would make it freak the gently caress out. Whenever we had anyone like that we just used unaccented letters and the first of their hyphenated names, fixed any problems we would have every time.

Edit: not sure about you, but man you've been handing out a lot of PII on here that I wouldn't be comfortable with having out there.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I used to be pretty optimistic about the army, but this was way before gip existed lol

man what a trip

edit: these dudes were probably pre teens when I joined :(

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
edit what the heck DICKS

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Also I dunno what sweat pants you had but marshmellow slacks are like the best things, never a uniform but had to use them in basic because we have no cloths washing facilities that weren't broke.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
oh yeah we had those too.

in fact when i joined the normal pts that everyone wore were called "high speeds" and we'd get to wear those when we got to forscom and we only ever wore the grey sweats. Reception told us we had to wear the pt shorts under our BDUs though because I guess they thought it was funny and so we all did that for a few weeks until our drill sergeants called us retarded faggots or something

I never wore apfu until i went to my first unit

edit: everyone was mad because the pts (and berets) that everyone knows was relatively new at the point and people were still mad that they had to buy them instead of having them issued, much like the ASU

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 12, 2017

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

A Bad Poster posted:

Edit: not sure about you, but man you've been handing out a lot of PII on here that I wouldn't be comfortable with having out there.

Having a unique last name with less than 40 members in the tree, combined with a perfectly unique first name, and having written a book, many articles, used it as a nickname, and maintaining a fairly solid internet footpring, my last name has like zero expecatation of privacy anymore. By googling me you get a face, articles, a life story summary, a picture of me looking like a homeless, mentions from a TV show in Finland, etc etc. There's just no reason for me to safeguard it anymore. Last coup de grace was google somehow removing my old nickname from my youtube-account and slapping my bright spanking real name on it without my consent a long time ago, and whoosh, that was basically it. Good thing my wife has a general white bread last name.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 12, 2017

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Vahakyla posted:

Good things about the Army lately:

In my battalion, the sleeve rolling policy is gently caress all free. None of that "one rolls, all roll", bullshit. You roll and your buddy doesn't, whatever, no one says anything. I like rolled sleeves, but some do not and it's awesome we don't have to match. Second good thing, t-shirt and no hat is an acceptable working uniform, unlike in many units that my friends bitch about. So that's cool and good. Third, we can use combat shirts and combat pants during any activity if we want besides straight up office work.

Finally, my sergeant believes it is my name's fault, it being a hyphenated first name, and a last name of "Vähäkylä", that causes most tables and lists to break. Every time I go to CIF, I get brand new poo poo all the time. Camelbaks, eyepro, kneepads, waffles, ACUs, all individual issue I have now gotten 5 loving times, and always the same story. "It doesn't seem like you were issued a Goretex before", as I roll out with my fifth expensive jacket. I wonder when it's gonna catch up to me. I'm drowning in mountains of poo poo. Lol, some people didn't even get issued combat uniforms, and I got them two times here in Italy, so now I can deck out a fire team from my drawer.

Vahakyla is going to loving love CIF turn in.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Wasabi the J posted:

Vahakyla is going to loving love CIF turn in.

I'll defeat this last boss, walking off-post with a UHaul truck of gear and no paper trail, suck iiiiiiit.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

The weenie always finds a way.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

stay safe CIF ghost

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Separation orders came in today. God, I'm loving giddy

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

edit: these dudes were probably pre teens when I joined :(

You youngster.

I'm constantly :stonk: at Soldiers who I've literally been in the Army longer than they've been alive.

THAT is a trip.

*edit for PT chat* I miss the old coochie pad that used to be in the shorts.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
kids born without being sentient enough for 9/11 should be enlisting now, soon

truly a forever war in afghanistan if it's been happening literally your entire life

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

They may not have even been alive in the nineties. :stare:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

kids born without being sentient enough for 9/11 should be enlisting now, soon

truly a forever war in afghanistan if it's been happening literally your entire life

Only 8/13 of my life :smuggo:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
See, that loving picture is why I just gave up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Remember how Earth-realm had lost nine straight Mortal Kombat tournaments? And then Liu Kang was the last hope to slay Shang Tsung?

Vahakyla, you are my Liu Kang. Don't give up.