Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cirrhosis Johnson
Jan 9, 2014
I remember a fair amount about this game, except for the title. You were trying to stop a clone of yourself from destroying a city. The game had two modes. First, you were looking at a top down map of the city. You'd see your character, and the evil clone. You'd both move around the map, him trying to destroy the various cities and you trying to collect items to fight him with. Whenever you would land on one of the item squares, a mini game would have to be played in order to collect it. Once you thought you had collected enough of the items you could battle the clone (which played out as a CGI cutscene). I seem to recall that the clone had countermeasures to a number of the items, so you wanted to make sure you collected the majority of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
maybe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g5s9CiCtxk?

Cirrhosis Johnson
Jan 9, 2014
That's it! Thanks!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I literally only learned how to play it as I searched for it to make my post. I never had a ps1, all my friends did, and they never explained the rules.

FYI intelligent qube owns

this game belongs in the OP along with ecstatica and ecstatica

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
My stepbrother's trying to find the name of a game, and I can't help him for my goddamn life:

quote:

There was an old video game with lovely graphics. Me and my friends would play it after our work was done in business classes because we had emulators on our flash drives so I'm not sure if it were gameboy or PC or what. But when you started you choose between like six or eight mutants and each one has a special ability. I know one is a plant and one is a toxic blob. One may have been robotic. You would have your mutant and go through little maps fighting rats I think, or some other mutants that had weapons. After the map, you moved on to the next level. The first three levels looked like underground with dirt, the next three levels looked like it was in a cave. It wasn't an easy game but I loved it dearly. It had the word underground, waste, or junk in its name. War may have been in the name?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Save Russian Jews posted:

My stepbrother's trying to find the name of a game, and I can't help him for my goddamn life:

Sounds like Toxic Crusaders on the game boy.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This is going to be exceedingly vague, but I remember playing a sort of point-and-click adventure game with detective elements, in a modern setting. You start out in a building on the ground floor somewhere, inspecting lockers (?). You end up in a hotel room eventually, and then the shareware/trial version of the game ends. It was probably a mid or late nineties game. That's all I remember

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

This is going to be exceedingly vague, but I remember playing a sort of point-and-click adventure game with detective elements, in a modern setting. You start out in a building on the ground floor somewhere, inspecting lockers (?). You end up in a hotel room eventually, and then the shareware/trial version of the game ends. It was probably a mid or late nineties game. That's all I remember

This sounds incredibly familiar. Was it a "free" game? (Shareware or freeware or similar.) I am read good.

I think the title had a bird in it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Phlegmish posted:

This is a real long shot but could it be Deja Vu?

...! fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 7, 2017

Captain Kevbo
Oct 14, 2000
Commodore 64 game where you controlled a spaceship and blew up bases (or maybe they were other much larger spaceships?). Top down and you could fly kind of like Raid on Bungeling Bay except you could also shoot in all (four, maybe eight?) directions. You had to destroy turrets and dodge obstacles when you entered the bases to get to their core which you destroyed. There was a gulf separating some of the bases that you had to cross that had enemy spaceships.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

...! posted:

This is a real long shot but could it be Deja Vu?

I'm afraid that's not it. I'm pretty sure my game came out later, maybe for Windows 95 or 98. I don't think you were a literal detective either, though my memory is so hazy I honestly don't know.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Captain Kevbo posted:

Commodore 64 game where you controlled a spaceship and blew up bases (or maybe they were other much larger spaceships?). Top down and you could fly kind of like Raid on Bungeling Bay except you could also shoot in all (four, maybe eight?) directions. You had to destroy turrets and dodge obstacles when you entered the bases to get to their core which you destroyed. There was a gulf separating some of the bases that you had to cross that had enemy spaceships.

Sounds like Zaxxon?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Captain Kevbo posted:

Parallax?

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Carrier Command?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I am looking for a game that was probably playstation or playstation 2 potentially possibly xbox 360. It was a JRPG and it was had a more modern setting and at one point in the story you're in a big city and meet some kind of secret government agent who joins your party. That is really vague and thats why I can't find it, maybe someone here knows.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I am looking for a game that was probably playstation or playstation 2 potentially possibly xbox 360. It was a JRPG and it was had a more modern setting and at one point in the story you're in a big city and meet some kind of secret government agent who joins your party. That is really vague and thats why I can't find it, maybe someone here knows.

Sounds like it could be the first Shadow Hearts, for the PS2.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Can't be Shadow Hearts. He said the setting is modern. Shadow Hearts is set around World War I.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
He said more modern than most JRPGs, I think it has a good chance of being what he's looking for. It definitely has a government agent joining your party in a big city.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I really wouldn't consider the 1910s to be "more modern" considering the large number of RPGs that take place close to the present day but it could be possible that you're right, if he's described it poorly.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Shadow Hearts takes a lot of liberties with its technology and one of the characters who joins you is a spy in a big city (based on a real life woman executed for being a French spy).

al-azad fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 11, 2017

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

al-azad posted:

Shadow Hearts takes a lot of liberties with its technology and one of the characters who joins you is a spy in a big city (based on a real life woman executed for being a French spy).

that is exactly what I was thinking of thank you

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.
I'm pretty sure Shadow Hearts is right, but I'm surprised at how well FFVII fits the bill. Depends on how liberally you want to interpret Cait Sith.

E: well now I'm definitely sure about Shadow Hearts

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

...! posted:

Can't be Shadow Hearts. He said the setting is modern. Shadow Hearts is set around World War I.

Modern, not contemporary. World War I took place well into the modern era.

e: :goonsay:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Here's another one, probably Playstation or PS2, a JRPG style game where you start out in a small walled village, and the main driving thing in the start of the game is that there is a mist full of monsters that is encroaching on the village. Sounds a bit like ff9 but its not.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Here's another one, probably Playstation or PS2, a JRPG style game where you start out in a small walled village, and the main driving thing in the start of the game is that there is a mist full of monsters that is encroaching on the village. Sounds a bit like ff9 but its not.

Legend of Legaia

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Gigante posted:

Legend of Legaia

how do you guys remember this poo poo? Because that is def it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I played a lot of RPGs in the PS1/PS2 days

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Legend of Legaia was a good game. The tricky ones are the bad games. The games you don't want to remember but are curious about because their memory is vague and you spent stupid amounts of time on them.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I'm standing by that as a poor description. Get it together, Doorknob Slobber. :colbert:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Legia was a pretty unique RPG. I never owned it and only once played it at my friend's place, but it left such an impression I can still remember it to this day :shrug: the combat system was really neato

leper khan posted:

Legend of Legaia was a good game. The tricky ones are the bad games. The games you don't want to remember but are curious about because their memory is vague and you spent stupid amounts of time on them.

Indeed

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Anyone know of this old elementary school style math game?

It was set in the Wild West and you either played it against a computer or another person. One person was a train and the other was a horse. You needed to solve math problems to move "spaces" which were set up like a snakes and ladder style board. I remember if you land on a certain space the announcer would yell "MOVE ON DOWN TO THE NEXT TOWN" in a western accent.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
A year or so ago I saw this game about a dog with a shotgun fighting other dogs in a world that looked very reminiscent of Fallout. I cannot remember the name of it for the life of me, I think it was on Greenlight but its been way too long. I think I saw a preview of it on Destructoid or Kotaku.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I played this game on AOL's game service in or around 2000. All I can remember about it is that it was essentially a missile command clone, but you were playing on a round earth, so you could build bases all around in a circle.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Yeah I borrowed Legends of Legaia from a friend in HS and remember finding the combat system so interesting. It definitely appears to be one of those forgotten games. It's amazing how much those weird rear end early enemies stuck with me all these years.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Monolith. posted:

A year or so ago I saw this game about a dog with a shotgun fighting other dogs in a world that looked very reminiscent of Fallout. I cannot remember the name of it for the life of me, I think it was on Greenlight but its been way too long. I think I saw a preview of it on Destructoid or Kotaku.

Buck?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

...! posted:

I'm standing by that as a poor description.

I think it was an arcade game. You're this fat guy with, I think, some sort of liver disease. You can't stop eating, and I think there was a Ghostbusters tie-in.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
A few years ago when accessible VR was still on the horizon, I remember reading about a first-person darkish fantasy melee-em-up thing. Anyone know what that was?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gromit posted:

I think it was an arcade game. You're this fat guy with, I think, some sort of liver disease. You can't stop eating, and I think there was a Ghostbusters tie-in.

I'm reading this as a ABBBA non-sequitur.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

spider wisdom posted:

A few years ago when accessible VR was still on the horizon, I remember reading about a first-person darkish fantasy melee-em-up thing. Anyone know what that was?

It was probably CLANG, which never came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm reading this as a ABBBA non-sequitur.

It was also top-down, and I think the guy was hopelessly lost or something.

• Locked thread