Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I don't remember if twitter was part of the good side, but imagine if twitter logged Donnie out of his account and forced him into a slow lane and say it was the FCC head's fault.

Donnie's first tv execution, the FCC head.

e dog tax, talking about beepboop machine tubes, have a beepboop dog.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Unrelated, but Drew Margery on deadspin fielded a question about whether or not Barron Trump was gonna break the record for number of times jacking it in the White House. I wonder what the current record is now.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Why? Other than your client being a moron who can't keep his mouth shut and at this point no reasonable person would blame his lawyers for that.

Welshing on his debts is considerably more of a concern. :v:

Ethically speaking it sounds like a nightmare representing him or his family. He's absolutely the rear end in a top hat client who honestly expects his attorney to lie their face off and break every rule imaginable to make sure he wins.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Covok posted:

Has the matterring happened yet?

No, but this Clay Aiken thing will probably make him mad enough to tweet something dumb, I guess.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

botany posted:

Yeah like all those other autocorrect fails when Fox puts a (D) behind a GOP politician who got caught raping boys or whatever. Or when they photoshop pictures to make the people on them uglier. Or when they invent statistics. :thumbsup:

How does that work in your mind?

1) Point out to our racist audience that the guy on our own side is a Jew.
2) ???
3) Profit

'Jared Kosher' is not an anti-semitic dog whistle--Let The Boss show you how it's done

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

seiferguy posted:

Unrelated, but Drew Margery on deadspin fielded a question about whether or not Barron Trump was gonna break the record for number of times jacking it in the White House. I wonder what the current record is now.

How many days was Clinton in office?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
What happens if Pence gets put in charge mid way through?

If the GOP support him when would his second term end if he were to win the 2nd time round. Would he only get 6 years or would he get 10 years (e.g 1 1/2 terms or 2 1/2).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rigel posted:

The most evil member of congress has an idea

https://twitter.com/YahooNews/status/885157015336751110

He must've just (re)watched 300 and felt the Spartans were on to something with that whole "rebuild a wall with the bodies of the dead" thing.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

horse mans posted:

What the hell does that saying mean? What's an in?

The in, as opposed to the out. Let's try it this way: "remember when you were a dick in the morning?"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Potentially, but the original Wheeler rules under the Obama FCC were significant because they were implemented before it became a major issue in practice.

Once the rules are established, they tend to end up on rails for a long time because people organize their businesses and conduct around those rules.

Opposition to changing them is going to grow massively once everyone has been operating under these rules for years.

I can see a SCOTUS decision based around the first amendment for net neutrality but that is a long road to get there.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Wark Say posted:

Man, Hannity is a giant pussy.

Until he agrees to be waterboarded, I concur.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

sean spicer posted:

if i could go back in time i'd show the creator of pepe what his child would eventually become

Oh believe me, he knows.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Kosner/Kushner thing is probably because both are legitimate names and there was some typo (Koshner?) that got autocorrected to the wrong one.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

CyberPingu posted:

What happens if Pence gets put in charge mid way through?

If the GOP support him when would his second term end if he were to win the 2nd time round. Would he only get 6 years or would he get 10 years (e.g 1 1/2 terms or 2 1/2).

22nd amendment covers this. If you serve more than 2 years of a term, you may only be elected once.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

seiferguy posted:

warrenghardingjackoffletters.txt

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Majumbo posted:

22nd amendment covers this. If you serve more than 2 years of a term, you may only be elected once.

So if its only a year he could serve a maximum of 9 years

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
e: wrong, n/m

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I can see a SCOTUS decision based around the first amendment for net neutrality but that is a long road to get there.

SCOTUS isn't really an issue here.

The FCC has authority to write Net Neutrality rules, it is just choosing to write them in a way that blocks net neutrality.

Once these have been "the rules" for years and trillions of dollars in commerce and personal habits are based around this infrastructure, it is going to be VERY hard to redo them from the ground-up.

Opposition would be massive, compared to today, because it would be expensive and troublesome to switch and status quo bias will hurt energy to make dramatic changes.

It's like if someone built a highway with an inefficient route. Then 5 years later, there is a new administration and they say, "Well, if we demolish the highway and make it a straight line, then we will save a ton of time." There will be significant resistance to demolishing the highway because people have their daily commutes already planned out, businesses have their trucks scheduled for certain trips and times, etc.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I kind of question the response of "if asked to do something illegal I would resign". I get that it is the "proper" response, but who is then supposed to investigate?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
This may get lost in a fast moving thread, but today, right now, is the 100th anniversary of the Bisbee Deportation, wherein deputized vigilantes organized by some mining company forcibly deported about 1,300 striking mine workers, their supporters, and bystanders from Bisbee, Arizona, U.S., to New Mexico.

As bad as class warfare is today, man it was poo poo back then. This is a world where you don't show up for work one day and your boss deports you, a U.S. citizen. What happened to you afterwards?

quote:

From the day of the deportations until November 1917, the Citizens' Protective League ruled Bisbee. Based in a building owned by the copper companies, its representatives interrogated residents about their political beliefs with respect to unions and the war, determining who could work or obtain a draft deferment. Sheriff Wheeler established guards at all entrances to Bisbee and Douglas. Anyone seeking to exit or enter the town over the next several months had to have a "passport" issued by Wheeler. Any adult male in town who was not known to the sheriff's men was brought before a secret sheriff's kangaroo court. Hundreds of citizens were tried, and most of them were deported and threatened with lynching if they returned. Even long-time citizens of Bisbee were deported by this "court".[3][4][5][6] Only a handful of deportees ever returned to Bisbee.

Not allowed back home and threatened with lynching, of course. The newspapers of the time and the federal government sided with the mining executives, not the workers and random bystanders.

quote:

Former President Theodore Roosevelt said that "no human being in his senses doubts that the men deported from Bisbee were bent on destruction and murder."[15]

quote:

Although many newspapers carried stories about the event, most of them editorialized that the workers "must have" been violent, and therefore "gotten what they deserved." Some major papers said that Sheriff Wheeler had gone too far, but declared that he should have imprisoned the miners rather than deported them.[3][4][5][6] The New York Times criticized the violence on the part of the mine owners and suggested that mass arrests "on vagrancy charges" would have been appropriate.[16]

quote:

"Arizona officials never initiated criminal proceedings in state court against those responsible for the deportation of workers and their lost wages and other losses"

The union's demands that were being fought over were quite bold and unreasonable, as you can tell:

quote:

They asked for an end to physical examinations (used by the mine owners to counter theft), two workers on each drilling machine, two men working the ore elevators, an end to blasting while men were in the mine, an end to the bonus system (Note: Under the bonus system, miners were paid more money not only for mining more ore, but for mining high-quality ore. Since only a few veins were of the highest-quality ore, assignment to these veins was very important. Mine supervisors routinely discriminated and played favorites among the miners when assigning the high-grade veins), no more assignment of construction work to miners (Note: Construction work was unpaid), replacement of the sliding scale of wages with a $6.00 per day shift rate, and no discrimination against union members. The company refused all the demands.[3][4]

But not to worry -- by 1920 once all that had blown over, the AG gave it the attention it deserved:

quote:

At the end of the conflict, Attorney General A. Mitchell Palmer and others advocated for a peacetime equivalent of the Sedition Act, using the Bisbee events as a justification. They claimed that the only reason the company representatives and local law enforcement had taken the law into their own hands was that the government lacked the power to suppress radical sentiment directly. If the government were armed with appropriate legislation and the threat of long prison terms, private citizens would not feel the need to act.

In modern times we all have to watch Trump continue to be a free man, but being legally untouchable as part of the upper class really only has one direction to go throughout history, and that's towards improvement from a state of being completely awful.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 12, 2017

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Oh believe me, he knows.

I feel for Furie, poor bastard is trying to rip his creation from the filthy hands of white supremacists to no avail.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BiggerBoat posted:

Until he agrees to be waterboarded, I concur.

Even if he did, it'd be like when cops get tasered so they 'know' what it's like. Except they're only zapped for a fraction of a second. Hannity would have someone dunk his head in a bucket once and then he'd crow on about it not being bad.

Hannity deserves a proper waterboarding. With video of it posted online so that when he's screaming and begging for mercy everyone of his dumb followers can maybe realize how loving bad it is.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

SCOTUS isn't really an issue here.

The FCC has authority to write Net Neutrality rules, it is just choosing to write them in a way that blocks net neutrality.

Once these have been "the rules" for years and trillions of dollars in commerce and personal habits are based around this infrastructure, it is going to be VERY hard to redo them from the ground-up.

Opposition would be massive, compared to today, because it would be expensive and troublesome to switch and status quo bias will hurt energy to make dramatic changes.

It's like if someone built a highway with an inefficient route. Then 5 years later, there is a new administration and they say, "Well, if we demolish the highway and make it a straight line, then we will save a ton of time." There will be significant resistance to demolishing the highway because people have their daily commutes already planned out, businesses have their trucks scheduled for certain trips and times, etc.

While I see what you are saying, it would appear that any upheaval would be on the ISP's side, not the consumer. There wouldn't be infrastructure moving, just resetting everything back to how it is now by removing the throttling on their side.

Or maybe it's more complex than I understand, I am not a computer scientist.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/885166340130168834

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Even if he did, it'd be like when cops get tasered so they 'know' what it's like. Except they're only zapped for a fraction of a second. Hannity would have someone dunk his head in a bucket once and then he'd crow on about it not being bad.

Hannity deserves a proper waterboarding. With video of it posted online so that when he's screaming and begging for mercy everyone of his dumb followers can maybe realize how loving bad it is.

I dunno dude. Mancow or one of those "it's not torture" loudmouth radio dudes agreed to do it and lasted like 10 seconds. Regardless, I don't really care. I just want to see Sean Hannity loving waterboarded is all I'm saying.

Because I hate Sean Hannity a lot.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Rigel posted:

Nothing spells revolt like starvation.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/ClueHeywood/status/884994772527706118

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
lol this guy

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/885153534068613121

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

This is the hard hitting journalism that we deserve.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rigel posted:

He's just as stupid as he is evil. The ones that know what they are doing are more evil.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
NPR just had an interview with a Republican and Democrat strategist. The Republican's name was Paris if you want to look it up.

It was a thing of beauty. Among the Trump Jr defenses:

It didn't turn out to be anything, therefore it wasn't illegal.

Donald Jr was very transparent.

Jr isn't a government employee.

The Democrat lady just absolutely loses it. It's probably on the NPR One app. Definitely worth a listen. You could tell the Republican was just keeping his job and had no faith in any of his answers.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Jr. isn't a government employee but Kushner sure as hell is.

Also, yes, private citizens can still commit treason.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Jr. isn't a government employee but Kushner sure as hell is.

Also, yes, private citizens can still commit treason.

I think the point was he's not a government employee, but he was working on the campaign. Doesn't make it any less illegal. It's just the strategist throwing up flak and noise.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Mozi posted:

Kosner/Kushner thing is probably because both are legitimate names and there was some typo (Koshner?) that got autocorrected to the wrong one.

Yes, because they use an iPhone to produce their programming. :rolleyes:

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

twice burned ice posted:

Yes, because they use an iPhone to produce their programming. :rolleyes:

Not that I'm defending them but, by default, macos automatically spellchecks and corrects.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

who was it

https://twitter.com/SteveKopack/status/885174738238177283

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

also lol at that guy that was whiing on twitter yesterday about 'his' story getting scooped by trump jr. this is somehow worse schadenfreude

https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/885169470074957824

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Deleted

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Lindsey Graham is ... good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Serfer posted:

Not that I'm defending them but, by default, macos automatically spellchecks and corrects.

Well poo poo. Color me uninformed.

• Locked thread