Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Listerine Hangover
Aug 5, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Just put the nastiest B/U deck together playing 3 riddleforms with 12 total noncreature spells including Torment of Hailfire. Breeziest draft I've ever played, can confirm riddleform is disgusting if you know how to play it.

Listerine Hangover fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jul 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I really wish I started playing the U/R Emerge deck earlier. This deck actually feels like it has way more lines of play than normal decks, and it can just swing a game so quickly.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Molybdenum posted:

Hot ban take: invisible stalker should be banned in triple innistrad draft

it's like the 3rd best blue uncommon, people just hate losing to combos

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

interesting historical/collector note from my binder of lightning bolts (I collected them, ok)

Now, from a bit of reading I'm thinking the 1994's are revised (french), and the asian 1996's are 4th. All printed black border because the first set released in a new language was done as such. The 1995 is the weird one, but I'm thinking that's 4th as well since it looks like FBB revised was only Italian/French/German

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Nosre posted:

Now, from a bit of reading I'm thinking the 1994's are revised (french), and the asian 1996's are 4th. All printed black border because the first set released in a new language was done as such. The 1995 is the weird one, but I'm thinking that's 4th as well since it looks like FBB revised was only Italian/French/German

You're correct. 94 is FBB revised which is only GER/FR/ITA, 95/96 is 4th which was only printed in black border in Asian languages IIRC.

I don't suppose you have a Korean Swords? I really need a 4th one.

Edit: Relampago is Spanish I think, so that must be 4th and I guess I'm wrong about it being only black bordered in moon languages. :shrug:

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 12, 2017

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Just that one, unfortunately (do you know if it is chinese or japanese?)

So FBB 4th is over two years (1995 in Spanish, 1996 asian sets). Also interesting is the big color difference in one of the asian sets, even though they're all 1996. Cool!

The one on the left is definitely the prettiest

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

That Swords is Japanese. Chinese is a lot blockier. I have a set of those but getting the 4th Swords for a halfway reasonable price has been impossible. That Korean bolt is definitely sweet. Probably worth a pretty good amount too. Old Korean cards tend to be pretty rare/valuable.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DangerDongs posted:

I really wish I started playing the U/R Emerge deck earlier. This deck actually feels like it has way more lines of play than normal decks, and it can just swing a game so quickly.

I had a good player tell me to play that deck with the 2/1 Eternalize guy that is a faithless looting when you play it. (Champion of Wits)

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Seattle goons, I'm in town and I'm going to mox boarding house bellvue if you want to come beat a Midwest goon at wizard poker.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Seattle goons, I'm in town and I'm going to mox boarding house bellvue if you want to come beat a Midwest goon at wizard poker.

I was planning on going over there Friday for Modern, you just in town for the day?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

WTF is with some people having a massive boner for the Scarab God? It's the only god that I've heard people talk about at my LGS. Also I just read Nassif's CFB article about the likelihood of HoD cards making it into constructed and some of the comments about how he's dumb for not talking about how "broken" it is are just :psyduck:

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

ThePeavstenator posted:

WTF is with some people having a massive boner for the Scarab God? It's the only god that I've heard people talk about at my LGS. Also I just read Nassif's CFB article about the likelihood of HoD cards making it into constructed and some of the comments about how he's dumb for not talking about how "broken" it is are just :psyduck:

At least part of it is some people have this weird blindness to GY effects where they don't seem to understand the cards have to get in your GY first. Also the card is almost blank if you don't already have some zombies and some GY fodder.

But we'll all be sorry when he is the new meta, I guess...

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

ThePeavstenator posted:

Uh, it's hella sweet for EDH, which is the only thing that matters.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Cactrot posted:

I was planning on going over there Friday for Modern, you just in town for the day?

Today's most likely the only day I can get over there, I leave town Friday morning. I'll probably just see about pick up some games or if I'm uncommonly lucky catch a draft. I don't have my cards with me, so it's all kind of a crapshoot, but I want to experience a well run game store when I have the chance.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

SoftNum posted:

At least part of it is some people have this weird blindness to GY effects where they don't seem to understand the cards have to get in your GY first. Also the card is almost blank if you don't already have some zombies and some GY fodder.

But we'll all be sorry when he is the new meta, I guess...

To be fair, you can also grab creatures from your opponents graveyard. If you watch the video Marshall posted yesterday you will see how powerful it is but it is funny when his opponent sideboards in the Crook and it pretty much stalls the game.

It's also annoying how some people call every card that is powerful "broken".

Another funny moment from Marshalls sealed video is

Turn 2 plays Hapatra
Turn 3 plays Ammit Eternal
Opponent scoops immediately

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Tainen posted:

To be fair, you can also grab creatures from your opponents graveyard. If you watch the video Marshall posted yesterday you will see how powerful it is but it is funny when his opponent sideboards in the Crook and it pretty much stalls the game.

It's also annoying how some people call every card that is powerful "broken".

Another funny moment from Marshalls sealed video is

Turn 2 plays Hapatra
Turn 3 plays Ammit Eternal
Opponent scoops immediately

It's definitely powerful in limited but in constructed getting a 5/5 for 5 that lets you conditionally make 4/4s for 4 is not amazing.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Anyone know if there's a way to see cards MISSING from a set in tcgplayer? Turns out I have most of the Legends big cards (except the biggest :( )

This collection feature looks pretty barebones as of yet though

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ThePeavstenator posted:

It's like Havengul Lich but better because it's a discount for bigger EBTs, a P/T buff for guys below 4, and it can steal your opponents' value guys, is a 5/5, and it trades ridiculously well because it goes right back to your hand.

The zombie trigger is just a bonus, but just as a 5/5 that can reanimate stuff for a flat cost and is hard to get rid of for good, it's really solid.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's like Havengul Lich but better because it's a discount for bigger EBTs, a P/T buff for guys below 4, and it can steal your opponents' value guys, is a 5/5, and it trades ridiculously well because it goes right back to your hand.

The zombie trigger is just a bonus, but just as a 5/5 that can reanimate stuff for a flat cost and is hard to get rid of for good, it's really solid.

Fair enough, but if you're looking for a reanimator effect why not just use Lili?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Today's most likely the only day I can get over there, I leave town Friday morning. I'll probably just see about pick up some games or if I'm uncommonly lucky catch a draft. I don't have my cards with me, so it's all kind of a crapshoot, but I want to experience a well run game store when I have the chance.

Thursday nights are modern/legacy if you can make it. I can bring any deck I have the parts for if you're interested--my collection is mostly legacy stuff

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

gwrtheyrn posted:

Thursday nights are modern/legacy if you can make it. I can bring any deck I have the parts for if you're interested--my collection is mostly legacy stuff

I'm actually there now, can't stay late. Stories could not prepare me for a store with this level of cleanliness, organization, and professionalism.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Havengul Lich was given some hype up for control decks when it was first revealed for standard purposes, although part of that was control being in a pretty weak spot at the time and control players being desperate for anything playable at all that format.

Only some hype though, since the other spoiler that day was Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, who was the worst possible spoiler for a control player to see (a card that fucks over their favorite card types just by being on the field, and applying to everyone means you couldn't even run it yourself to gently caress over the opponent without hurting yourself more). Lich crashed and burned in standard due to being too slow and clunky, Thalia ended up having Legacy Goblin decks splash for white to put her in due to how good she ended up being.

Only issue Scarab God has is that it might end up too slow against aggro. It's not the safest bet for seeing constructed play (that honor goes to Abrade), but it's definitely one of the most likely to make it in Standard.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ThePeavstenator posted:

Fair enough, but if you're looking for a reanimator effect why not just use Lili?

Scarab's is instant speed, costs mana instead of loyalty so it refreshes every turn instead of every 3 2/2s, and is attached to a 5/5. It's less reviving big threats reanimator, and more gumming up the board and reusing good ETBs. Eternalize Spell Quellers and Torrential Gearhulks and Whirler Virtuosos and such, you know?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Scarab's is instant speed, costs mana instead of loyalty so it refreshes every turn instead of every 3 2/2s, and is attached to a 5/5. It's less reviving big threats reanimator, and more gumming up the board and reusing good ETBs. Eternalize Spell Quellers and Torrential Gearhulks and Whirler Virtuosos and such, you know?

That seems like a lot of setup to make decent value plays, it feels too slow and conditional just to get plays that other decks have by casting their spells. I'd rather just cast a 2 mana 4/4 or a 5 mana 8/8. I guess we'll see when the PT happens.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

That seems like a lot of setup to make decent value plays, it feels too slow and conditional just to get plays that other decks have by casting their spells. I'd rather just cast a 2 mana 4/4 or a 5 mana 8/8. I guess we'll see when the PT happens.

If either deck has any amount of creature removal interaction there is very little setup.

Play it, and it either dies and goes back to the hand or lives and starts bringing back earlier plays only beefier.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Do I sick an Hour of Devastation or two into my Turbofog sideboard, or maybe Locust God :thunk:

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

To me it seems like your run of the mill card to sideboard in standard for slower, more grindy matchups.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Scarab God seems like a decent finisher, but like all finishers how good it ends up being is very metagame dependent.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Gods in this set are all miserable to play against in limited..

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
idk about standard but I'm very excited to jam him in my cube (cube)

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

the Orb of Zot posted:

Havengul Lich was given some hype up for control decks when it was first revealed for standard purposes, although part of that was control being in a pretty weak spot at the time and control players being desperate for anything playable at all that format.

Only some hype though, since the other spoiler that day was Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, who was the worst possible spoiler for a control player to see (a card that fucks over their favorite card types just by being on the field, and applying to everyone means you couldn't even run it yourself to gently caress over the opponent without hurting yourself more). Lich crashed and burned in standard due to being too slow and clunky, Thalia ended up having Legacy Goblin decks splash for white to put her in due to how good she ended up being.

Only issue Scarab God has is that it might end up too slow against aggro. It's not the safest bet for seeing constructed play (that honor goes to Abrade), but it's definitely one of the most likely to make it in Standard.

Havengul Lich was the loving bomb in Heartless Summoning decks, and that's even outside of its ability to turn Perilous Myr into a machinegun.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I look forward to the kids next weekend doing things like playing an Unsummon to return a gearhulk to someone's hand, only to never learn why it's usually a bad idea bounce your opponent's creatures with very powerful enters-the-battlefield abilities.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Torrential Gearhulk -> target Unsummon -> Unsummon Torrential Gearhulk

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

mcmagic posted:

The Gods in this set are all miserable to play against in limited..

Are you ok? You only typed two dots this time.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Signal the Clans ----> reveal Relentless Rats, Relentless Rats, Relentless Rats

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Angry Grimace posted:

Signal the Clans ----> reveal Relentless Rats, Relentless Rats, Relentless Rats

broken

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
If you aren't rat ripple-ing you just aren't living

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

so much value

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

suicidesteve posted:

Oh god. Someone is going to actually do that in an effort to save their own Torrential Gearhulk and get blown out by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

It's the worst best Stonecloaker ever.