Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Abugadu posted:

There have been convictions in cases involving hypnosis for lighter behavior than that. The major difficulty, though, is that we're taught to believe hypnosis isn't real, that people are just acting or are in on a con, and then a prosecutor has to convince a jury that no, it actually has an effect.

It's a much more powerful tool than most people give it credit for, and can be horrifically abused (see, e.g., implanting false memories in criminal suspects, and the Michael Fine case, linked below), which is why certification is usually required by a state/country, because misusing this in a theraputic setting is sociopathic, and potentially worse than basic medical malpractice without the ability to easily prove negligence in a court proceeding. The problem in measuring it is that it works differently on different people, so measuring it using the usual scientific method is near impossible. The most they've nailed down is that the brain exhibits similar patterns to REM sleep.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.84dacf255583

Goons love to make fun of Scott Adams for claiming to be a hypno sex wizard, but inducing an orgasm is a fairly simple thing to accomplish, on the difficulty scale of hypnotic effects.

I wanted to read the study linked in the article but apparently it isn't public. Then I googled the writers and found a neat Arrested Development joke.

https://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/name/Michael_R_Nash_PhD_Knoxville_Tennessee_299941

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Sarcopenia posted:

I wanted to read the study linked in the article but apparently it isn't public. Then I googled the writers and found a neat Arrested Development joke.

https://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/name/Michael_R_Nash_PhD_Knoxville_Tennessee_299941

All i got was psychoanalitic

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

repeating posted:

All i got was psychoanalitic

The name of the website

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Abugadu posted:

The movie Get Out was probably the closest Hollywood's come to an accurate representation - he's not put under against his will, he goes along with it because they deceive him into thinking it's for smoking cessation. Not sure about the induction method, but whatever.

Ooooooh, you're joking. Now i get it. Though, to be fair, the best representation we have of an immortal undead serial killer stalking and murdering teenagers also came from Hollywood.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ooooooh, you're joking. Now i get it. Though, to be fair, the best representation we have of an immortal undead serial killer stalking and murdering teenagers also came from Hollywood.

Not joking. But to be fair, all the other representations are usually Dracula doing the 'look into my eyes' thing.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Sarcopenia posted:

The name of the website

Holy poo poo whoosh

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Abugadu posted:

Not joking. But to be fair, all the other representations are usually Dracula doing the 'look into my eyes' thing.

Uhhh yikes, how many people have you tried to hypnotize to have sex with you?

:thunk:

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
Ah, yes. All that very real hypnosis going on in the world! Next thing you will tell me is that chiropractor s aren't real doctors!

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Fly Molo posted:

Uhhh yikes, how many people have you tried to hypnotize to have sex with you?

:thunk:

None. I'm not a sociopath.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Cephalectomy posted:

Ah, yes. All that very real hypnosis going on in the world! Next thing you will tell me is that chiropractor s aren't real doctors!

Give it a try. As the hypnotist. Learn the Elman induction, find someone who's game, and try it for yourself.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Abugadu posted:

None. I'm not a sociopath.

OooOOoooOOO suck my diiiiiiick OOooOOoooO

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Cumslut1895 posted:

You make an excellent point Fellatio Ghost.

Look, there's no video, no book, no study, no anything that'll convince a skeptic, other than trying it. I don't blame you, because it is fantastical. Just pointing out that I have nothing to gain from blowing whatever e-cred someone can have here, and which is more likely- that hundreds of entertainers, who probably don't make that much money, are paying people to be stooges for their show? Or that it may actually work?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Abugadu posted:

You make an excellent point Fellatio Ghost.

Look, there's no video, no book, no study, no anything that'll convince a skeptic, other than trying it. I don't blame you, because it is fantastical. Just pointing out that I have nothing to gain from blowing whatever e-cred someone can have here, and which is more likely- that hundreds of entertainers, who probably don't make that much money, are paying people to be stooges for their show? Or that it may actually work?

Kill yourself. But hypnotically.

I mean, you said it works.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Well, I suck at self-hypnosis, so that's a barrier. But I think, theoretically, it could be done, probably via a slow poisoning combined with amnesia suggestions, a la Memento. But there's the whole guardian angel part of the subconscious, so questionable whether it'd fly.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Question for skeptics, though - in the Michael Fine case, were the six victims pretending? Going along with being molested?

And why would an attorney, who knows how easy it is to confuse a jury, plead guilty before the trial in a case like this?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Okay so do it for real now.

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010
http://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/wireStory/authorities-scour-vast-farmland-missing-young-men-48559616

This is local to me and so sad and so scary.
Four young men with mutual friends go missing last week, there's all sorts of speculation about drug deals gone bad and now they're digging up a 90 acre farm looking for evidence.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Abugadu posted:

Question for skeptics, though - in the Michael Fine case, were the six victims pretending? Going along with being molested?

And why would an attorney, who knows how easy it is to confuse a jury, plead guilty before the trial in a case like this?

No. I think sexual assault and how you react in that traumatic situation is complicated.
But let's say you're right. Would you agree then that there's a big difference between someone being actively manipulated in a closed setting and someone... Well I don't know exactly what he could put into his mind that would cause that teenager to crash his car. It sounds like the "therapy" was strictly for helping with stress and not nefarious in any way.

I am interested in reading some studies on it though. My boyfriend is a neuroscientist and he constantly reminds me of how weird the brain is. I'll ask him for some good sources on the subject when he gets home.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I know that you're obviously joking but can we not tell people to kill themselves? Jesus christ.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Abugadu posted:

Goons love to make fun of Scott Adams for claiming to be a hypno sex wizard, but inducing an orgasm is a fairly simple thing to accomplish, on the difficulty scale of hypnotic effects.

LMAO

I prefer the old fashioned, physical way

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Cumslut1895 posted:

Gonna give this a try, brb

ed: Didn't work

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Abugadu posted:

I can't point out strongly enough that things like "innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt" or "a preponderance of evidence" are fine or perhaps even admirable legal principles, but they are *really lovely epistemologies.*.

Example: A whole lot of forensic "science" is total bullshit. Bitemark analysis, blood spatter analysis, etc. Arson investigations are notoriously based on bullshit. Courts have way too high an opinion of fingerprint analysis. The FBi for decades used a *totally* bullshit bullet analysis technique. Does this stop courts from sending people to jail on the basis of those things? Hell no. Does that make those things...not bullshit? Hell no.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 16:28 on Jul 12, 2017

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Abugadu posted:

which is more likely- that hundreds of entertainers, who probably don't make that much money, are paying people to be stooges for their show? Or that it may actually work?

I have a hard time believing you're serious because this is literally how stage mind-reading works and people have been doing it for centuries. Do you really not know that mentalist acts plant stooges in the audience all the time, either for information-gathering or to act as "proof" that it works?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Guys, I'm totally a skeptic, but unless you can explain away these photos of fairies maybe you shouldn't be so closed-minded.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I'm not even sure there's actually an argument going on here. My read on the spread of opinions here looks pretty unified: Hypnosis as guided meditation: varies in individual effectiveness, could be largely placebo, who knows who cares, probably a questionable approach to guidance counseling either way. Hypnosis as causing random car accident after a dental appointment: unlikely.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Phanatic posted:

Guys, I'm totally a skeptic, but unless you can explain away these photos of fairies maybe you shouldn't be so closed-minded.

Leave Elsie and Frances out of this! :mad:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Phanatic posted:

Start with this one please:

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

Start with this one please:

Most unnerving part was that it sparked a copycat tooth collector.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Sarcopenia posted:

Most unnerving part was that it sparked a copycat tooth collector.

That wasn't a copycat, that was a sequel.
Yeah, they replaced The Rock with Larry the Cable Guy and thought that was good enough.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
It's uncontroversial that false memories are a real phenomenon though, right? I don't buy stage hypnosis, but I can buy that some people are extra susceptible to suggestion when they're in a state akin to guided meditation.

ETA: I once went to a hypnotism demonstration (at a college, purportedly real and not as part of a paid magic show) and instead of watching, closed my eyes and attempted to let myself be hypnotized. It did nothing, didn't even relax me. But then, meditation does nothing for me either, so I'd buy that YMMV.

pookel has a new favorite as of 17:51 on Jul 12, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
False memories are a thing, but that's because memories as discrete persistent phenomena do not exist, and only get assembled in response to stimuli to fit some sort of functional demand - which essentially means that people remember what they want to remember, or what they feel they should remember. It has nothing to do with hypnosis.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

pookel posted:

It's uncontroversial that false memories are a real phenomenon though, right? I don't buy stage hypnosis, but I can buy that some people are extra susceptible to suggestion when they're in a state akin to guided meditation.

False memories aren't a matter of hypnosis, they're just a matter of people doing what you tell them to do.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

duz posted:

Yeah, they replaced The Rock with Larry the Cable Guy and thought that was good enough.

A chilling premonition of the 2020 and 2028 American Election cycle.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

In high school I went to some hypnosis show and two of my friends got picked to go on stage. One was sent back to his seat and the other got to participate. The one who stayed "got hypnotized" and proceeded to make an absolute fool out of himself on stage in front of hundreds of people. When asked about it afterwards, he claimed he didn't remember any of it. While I'm much more willing to believe he just went along with it, it was still pretty crazy to see someone you know well, and who wasn't a class clown type at all, to proceed to thoroughly embarrass himself in a huge auditorium.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Phanatic posted:

False memories aren't a matter of hypnosis, they're just a matter of people doing what you tell them to do.
I mentioned it as a similar phenomenon (the mind and one's perceptions being affected by outside input) not as an example of hypnosis.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

duz posted:

That wasn't a copycat, that was a sequel.

:thejoke:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

RCarr posted:

In high school I went to some hypnosis show and two of my friends got picked to go on stage. One was sent back to his seat and the other got to participate. The one who stayed "got hypnotized" and proceeded to make an absolute fool out of himself on stage in front of hundreds of people. When asked about it afterwards, he claimed he didn't remember any of it. While I'm much more willing to believe he just went along with it, it was still pretty crazy to see someone you know well, and who wasn't a class clown type at all, to proceed to thoroughly embarrass himself in a huge auditorium.

I think James Randi said something like hypnosis is a chance for everyone to enjoy a lie together.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think James Randi said something like hypnosis is a chance for everyone to enjoy a lie together.

People also underestimate how tough it is to be up on stage and call a performer out for being a bullshit artist. In the moment you just don't want to ruin the show.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

pookel posted:

I mentioned it as a similar phenomenon (the mind and one's perceptions being affected by outside input) not as an example of hypnosis.

You said "extra susceptible to suggestion when in a state akin to guided meditation." False memories don't necessarily have anything to do with people being extra susceptible to suggestion, or in a state akin to guided meditation. They have to be with memory being a fuzzy malleable thing and people being eager to please.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I can literally ask you if you saw the stop sign at the intersection two blocks back and there's a good chance that you'll remember it even if it doesn't exist. You don't need a hypno ray to gently caress with memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

fruit on the bottom posted:

I can literally ask you if you saw the stop sign at the intersection two blocks back and there's a good chance that you'll remember it even if it doesn't exist. You don't need a hypno ray to gently caress with memories.

I'm sitting at a computer desk, why would I think I had recently been driving, never mind that I saw a stop sign? You sound stupid.