Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Use BEHR no. 63 deck cleaner or equivalent, it will clean, remove mildew, tannin, and any mill glaze still left. It also brightens it to a more uniform color. Their stain is garbage, but the no. 63 works well.

I've sanded the entire thing, and then hosed it down. I don't think it can get cleaner. The pressure treatment residue is bright green, and because it has penetrated the wood, sanding doesn't remove it. I've read from multiple sources that it will fade in the sun & from weathering, but I want to make sure it still will after I've sealed it with the above-mentioned product.

Thanks for the recommendation though, I'll keep that product in mind for future projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Hi,

I just put down some pressure treated decking, and I'm in the process of sanding and sealing it. I've sanded, and have just now cleaned it off. It has green streaks all through it from the pressure-treating process, and I believe they fade with time, but I'm not sure if they will fade once I've sealed it with this: http://www.perfectwoodstains.ca/view-product/cetol-srd-re Which states that it has 'Excellent UV Protection'.

The green doesn't look too noticeable in these pictures but I just hosed it down, and the green stands out like crazy. Definitely don't want it to look like that once it's sealed.

Thanks for the advice!

I've always let PT sit outside in place for a year to gray before coating it with anything, since it's generally soaking wet from the store.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

armorer posted:

I've always let PT sit outside in place for a year to gray before coating it with anything, since it's generally soaking wet from the store.

That's good advice, and I did. I've had the lumber for a year (with airflow in the stack) before I built the deck.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

They make cheap plugin testers that do just this. You put your rj-45 into both ends of the tester and it shows you pinout. Missing lines are broken conductors. $500 for Fluke, $20 for cheap, and $6 for crap.

That involves crimping solid-core-compatible plugs onto every line only to cut them off again to crimp onto keystones.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I suppose I could fit the keystones and then plug in two short known-good patch cables and use those for the tester.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MC Jaded Burnout posted:

I suppose I could fit the keystones and then plug in two short known-good patch cables and use those for the tester.

Ding ding ding. Test your patch cords with your cables, then leave them plugged into the tester.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

DavidAlltheTime posted:

That's good advice, and I did. I've had the lumber for a year (with airflow in the stack) before I built the deck.

While these may mellow out a little more with more direct sun exposure, I think what you have is going to stay. Those intense green spots seem to just hang out forever. Have a couple on my deck, which is now in its 5th summer and is 2 years overdue for a re-staining. Even with the excessive sun bleaching, they just wont leave. I had rejected some boards during construction because of excessive green goo from the treatment, and I'm really glad that I did. The UV "resistance" on your sealer is kind of a joke - I'm sure it helps, but nothing resists the fury of year round direct sun exposure.

If it's really going to bug you, I'd sand more or try to replace the very worst of the problem spots. Otherwise, just live with it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I am getting new appliances delivered tomorrow, and taking out the old ones. Not gonna pay $50 to hook up a microwave!

Anyway, my old microwave above the range appears to have a... weird ducting solution.
I don't know anything about it, but it just *looks* halfassed.
Here's a view from up front inside the cabinet, and from down below. The pencil on the cabinet and wall is the centerline.
http://imgur.com/a/OaIRd
It this OK to use as is? Or should I do something less janky and then repair the giant hole covered by structural ductwork in the bottom of the cabinet?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

canyoneer posted:

I am getting new appliances delivered tomorrow, and taking out the old ones. Not gonna pay $50 to hook up a microwave!

Anyway, my old microwave above the range appears to have a... weird ducting solution.
I don't know anything about it, but it just *looks* halfassed.
Here's a view from up front inside the cabinet, and from down below. The pencil on the cabinet and wall is the centerline.
http://imgur.com/a/OaIRd
It this OK to use as is? Or should I do something less janky and then repair the giant hole covered by structural ductwork in the bottom of the cabinet?

It's not going to be super efficient since the duct is at 90 degrees to the rising air and in such a tight spot but what else do you think is the matter with it?

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

Raised by Hamsters posted:

While these may mellow out a little more with more direct sun exposure, I think what you have is going to stay. Those intense green spots seem to just hang out forever. Have a couple on my deck, which is now in its 5th summer and is 2 years overdue for a re-staining. Even with the excessive sun bleaching, they just wont leave. I had rejected some boards during construction because of excessive green goo from the treatment, and I'm really glad that I did. The UV "resistance" on your sealer is kind of a joke - I'm sure it helps, but nothing resists the fury of year round direct sun exposure.

If it's really going to bug you, I'd sand more or try to replace the very worst of the problem spots. Otherwise, just live with it.

Well... that sucks. I left my sander on some moderately green patches for a while, and they barely touched them. Maybe the sealer tint (light natural) will even the colours out, and not brighten them like the water did :(

Thanks for the perspective, Raised by Hamsters.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Well... that sucks. I left my sander on some moderately green patches for a while, and they barely touched them. Maybe the sealer tint (light natural) will even the colours out, and not brighten them like the water did :(

Make sure you don't sand over 60 or 80 grit max. Beyond that and you'll start to close up the pores on the wood and it won't let any of your stain / treatment in.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

DavidAlltheTime posted:

To second some opinions, that stuff is called pressure treated because the chemicals are pressure steamed in, iirc. So, it's deeply embedded. You went way beyond typical deck building imo, and should be applauded. One thing I learned about painting, the 2 stain tints painters use are red and green. Combined they make brown. More red in your stain will tend in that direction overall, more green pigment in it would accent it in a green direction.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I need to replace the lock sets on two regular-rear end wooden doors and two metal security doors, which means 4 sets. Does anyone have a keyed-alike product that they'd recommend, that also happens to be somewhat cheap?

:confuoot:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Astonishing Wang posted:

I need to replace the lock sets on two regular-rear end wooden doors and two metal security doors, which means 4 sets. Does anyone have a keyed-alike product that they'd recommend, that also happens to be somewhat cheap?

I like the kwikset smart key stuff. You don't have to worry about it being keyed alike, you can rekey it in 30 seconds.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Astonishing Wang posted:

I've got Kwiksets with instant re-keying. You press a little pin-setter tool in with the key you'd like to use and it's done.

edit: like that guy said.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Thirding these guys. Whatever you do, don't cheap out on Constructor, they're hot garbage.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I like the kwikset smart key stuff. You don't have to worry about it being keyed alike, you can rekey it in 30 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR-h64WwfW8

if you buy deadbolts/knobs at ace they can rekey them all alike in-store for free.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, all the big stores will re-key locks to match if you're buying more than one. And kwikset is kinda garbage (as described by that above video for that one style, but it holds true across their product line.)

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 11, 2017

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Don't pay extra for the instant re-key functionality unless you're keying a rental property you expect to turn over every year. Kwikset is fine if you have no special security concerns. Do Not Ever let someone sell you a patented keyway unless it is at the end of a very long list of other security measures you are also implementing which includes preventing bricks from penetrating your windows.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
It's for the place we're renting down in Baja - the two security doors currently lock using two different keys. The wooden doors don't lock at all. I'd like to make it as secure as possible without going spend crazy, and I don't want to ask the owner to do it since we're only paying $125/month rent :D I think I'll go walk through the hardware store and see what they say.

Thanks folks!

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

Mr. Mambold posted:

To second some opinions, that stuff is called pressure treated because the chemicals are pressure steamed in, iirc. So, it's deeply embedded. You went way beyond typical deck building imo, and should be applauded. One thing I learned about painting, the 2 stain tints painters use are red and green. Combined they make brown. More red in your stain will tend in that direction overall, more green pigment in it would accent it in a green direction.

That makes sense. I found a scrap of the decking with some green on it, and I put some sealer on it, so we will see how it turns out. I am prepared to live with boards with green highlights, if need be, but lesson learned for next time. Given the deck is mostly shielded from the rain, and the boards aren't touching the ground, and we generally don't have high humidity around here, I should have used a different product.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Was going to post this in AI, but its more of a hobby/craft type question I think.

I have two of these gauges I need to mount somewhere in my car. They're pretty tiny and flat. About an inch wide each. Was going to have them side by side.

http://zada-tech.com/products/single-gauges/oled-digital-single-oil-pressure-gauge

Any ideas of some kind of enclosure I can make? I have a dremel, I was thinking some kind of flat piece of plastic with windows cut out for the displays, but feel like that may end up looking kind of lovely.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

opengl128 posted:

Was going to post this in AI, but its more of a hobby/craft type question I think.

I have two of these gauges I need to mount somewhere in my car. They're pretty tiny and flat. About an inch wide each. Was going to have them side by side.

http://zada-tech.com/products/single-gauges/oled-digital-single-oil-pressure-gauge

Any ideas of some kind of enclosure I can make? I have a dremel, I was thinking some kind of flat piece of plastic with windows cut out for the displays, but feel like that may end up looking kind of lovely.

If it were mine, I'd 3D print something. It wouldn't be hard to whip up in Fusion360 or even Tinkercad, then have it printed on 3Dhubs. Printed objects can be smoothed with sandable primer and made to look nice.

The old fashioned alternative is to buy a generic enclosure somewhere like Mouser or Digikey, cut/mill out openings and hot glue your board in place.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

opengl128 posted:

Steampunk it.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Steampunk it.

so a high-res OLED display of an analog dial with pre-programmed wiggle?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

opengl128 posted:

Does your car have any option blanks? You could pry one out and use that as your template, either to dremel out or to 3d print something. What kind of car?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

H110Hawk posted:

Does your car have any option blanks?

...and now i finally know the actual term for that, not "poverty reminders."

every one of those just stares at you like "i'm where the AC controls would have gone. if you could afford AC. which you can't."

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SoundMonkey posted:

every one of those just stares at you like "i'm where the AC controls would have gone. if you could afford AC. which you can't."

I don't know if that's the real term for them, just that my car is loaded with them.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

My "hauling poo poo for the house" beater Nissan mini truck has those in spades. There's no tachometer, just a giant blank with graduations on it. There's no trip meter, just a little etched circle where the reset button would belong.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
Does anyone know how to properly remove this old-rear end thermostat so I can replace it with a new one? It came with my apartment (thus no manual) but I really need a programmable one. I'm not sure if I'm even taking it apart properly. I've tried looking for a copy of the manual online but I haven't had any success.

TIA

edit: found a more appropriate thread for this but if anyone has the answer here too I'd appreciate it.

Huge Lady Pleaser fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 12, 2017

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Motronic posted:

Do not use cat 6 unless you really need it.

Unless you know what youa re doing you will spend a bunch of money to end up with something the same or inferior to cat 5e. Cat 6 is a pain in the rear end and not so much an upgrade form cat 5e but a "dammint, I actually need to run this in cat 6 because my very very expensive switches and host machines won't run at 10 Gigabit"

Chances are good you don't really need 10-GigE everywhere in your home, or even own a 10-GigE capable device.

You want future proofing? Maybe pull cat 6 cable and term it on 5e jacks/panels. But even that arguable, especially since you're pulling through existing which means you just installed pull cables for you next upgrade (6, some manner of fiber, something we haven't even heard of yet......)

My buddy is building out a new pizza shop, and doing all the GC work himself (with me). The electrician strung the wires, but neither he nor the POS people would touch the patch panel, so I had to source it and install it.

When I started peeling the cables, I was surprised to find a mix of 5e and 6, though?
There is no way anything in the shop needs 6, and the patch panel I bought was 5e.

I think I did a pretty good job, considering that the place has 15-ft ceilings.

Anyway, why would he mix the cables? Just what he had on hand?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
When we did my mom's place (we physicallly pulled the wire ourselves but the system was designed by smart-home professionals) we did 5e to every jack for "phone" service and 6 for "data." Could it be something like that?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Huge Lady Pleaser posted:

Does anyone know how to properly remove this old-rear end thermostat so I can replace it with a new one? It came with my apartment (thus no manual) but I really need a programmable one. I'm not sure if I'm even taking it apart properly. I've tried looking for a copy of the manual online but I haven't had any success.

TIA

edit: found a more appropriate thread for this but if anyone has the answer here too I'd appreciate it.

That's a variant on the Honeywell T834 (specifically the T834A1212 which is Carrier branded). Here's the manual for the honeywell one which is a little different inside, but maybe it can help? http://www.completeheating.ca/images/pdf/Econostat.pdf

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The basics for replacing a thermostat are that you pop the thermostat off the wall, find the wires that go from the wall to the thermostat, disconnect them from the thermostat, connect them to the new unit, then mount the new unit on the wall. Different wires control different things (e.g. fan/furnace/AC) and specific wire colors are supposed to mean specific things, but there's no real guarantee.

You just took the cover off of your unit; you want to remove the entire thing so there's just a hole in the wall with some wires coming out of it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Different wires control different things (e.g. fan/furnace/AC) and specific wire colors are supposed to mean specific things, but there's no real guarantee.

Yeah, I recommend marking the wires with the right labels as you remove them. Nest comes with stickers for that, I believe.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I really wish that the version I had was like the one in the posted manual. Nothing is labeled on the unit, the wires are soldered to the connections, and I don't have a thin enough screw driver to it into those holes. Looks like I need to make a second trip to the hardware store.

Thanks.

edit: Its probably worth mentioning that I really don't have any idea of how this sort of stuff works. I mean, I've done basic electrical work before but never anything like this. The A/C unit is on the side of my apartment so I can gather some information on that, but I don't know where the heating unit is located unfortunately - probably somewhere I don't have access to though.

Huge Lady Pleaser fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 12, 2017

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Huge Lady Pleaser posted:

Yeah, I really wish that the version I had was like the one in the posted manual. Nothing is labeled on the unit, the wires are soldered to the connections, and I don't have a thin enough screw driver to it into those holes. Looks like I need to make a second trip to the hardware store.

Thanks.

Once you get it off the wall there will most likely be more obvious, labelled connections, maybe on the back. I doubt those wires you see are the actual thermostat wires coming out of the wall.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

Nap Ghost
Ok thanks, I'll try that.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You just took the cover off of your unit; you want to remove the entire thing so there's just a hole in the wall with some wires coming out of it.

While being very careful not to bust that mercury bulb and create a super fun problem. You have renters insurance right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

When we did my mom's place (we physicallly pulled the wire ourselves but the system was designed by smart-home professionals) we did 5e to every jack for "phone" service and 6 for "data." Could it be something like that?

Possible... but we switched to full VOIP system halfway through. And none of the end jacks are labeled as anything. So probably not.