Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

loquacius posted:

the worst thing about being alive right now is that of all the things that could kill us all at any moment only nuclear war is instant and painless like this

and that's if you're lucky enough to live near a major population center, otherwise you will die by being impaled on a stop sign in a fight over some canned goods

Just move next to a volcano duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Bury the waste. If the society who digs it up is advanced enough to notice that each layer they excavate looks suspiciously like a radiation containment vault then they probably won't go in and open up the barrels all Willy nilly.

If all of human society is gone and all that remains are hyperintelligent bugs then lol jokes on you prick for being too hardy to kill on planet crapitalism.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

sounds very condescending. i dig

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm pretty sure their tissues were more or less instantly charred to the point of ash but idk if there's still a skeleton in there

If I remember right, the casting techniques they used when the figures were first discovered ended up corroding the remaining organics within them, so there's presumably nothing really left anymore.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Captain_Maclaine posted:

If I remember right, the casting techniques they used when the figures were first discovered ended up corroding the remaining organics within them, so there's presumably nothing really left anymore.

my rear end, rediscovered inside of a molten ash cast of myself thousands of years later :thunk:

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Good soup! posted:

nah, they're not that bad

Fingering the page, he scanned for the word. Beads of sweat, formed on his furrowed brow from the twin fires of the hearth and his desire, in time turned to fingers, to soft drip-drip-drip against the rushes.

He looked out the window at the grove of lemon trees. Sunrise: The branches, bare as they are now in winter, were but fingers scraping at the teal-orange glow.

He would not suffer the fate of the trees. They may never grasp the sunrise, but he had found his quarry. It had taken him weeks of silent study, but before him, leather bound, his work sat complete. An index of every finger metaphor.

Were he not an adherent to the faith, he would continue the work. Someone must discover why it is that the finger seems to be the fundamental building block of the world. If his...

No, it was too dangerous for him to even consider. Needs must the next generation a question to answer too.

Drawing up his last finger of courage, and opposing his thumb perpendicular to it, he brought his hand to his temple, pointing inwards.

"Valar morghulis," he breathed, and there he died.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

loquacius posted:

the worst thing about being alive right now is that of all the things that could kill us all at any moment only nuclear war is instant and painless like this

It is not unless you are literally at ground zero. Atom bombs don't kill with fire, they kill with force

if something sufficiently shields just enough to survive I hope you like horrific burns and excruciating radiation poisoning for the six months you have left

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IbLZba_0-4

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

oval office cock manhood boiled finger leather oval office fuckin Ser

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

oh okay. biology always was my worst subject

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

reignofevil posted:

Bury the waste. If the society who digs it up is advanced enough to notice that each layer they excavate looks suspiciously like a radiation containment vault then they probably won't go in and open up the barrels all Willy nilly.

If all of human society is gone and all that remains are hyperintelligent bugs then lol jokes on you prick for being too hardy to kill on planet crapitalism.

that's the current idea, to bury it inside of a deep salt strata like a salt dome under a desert which will then further compress and isolate itself over time

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Chokes McGee posted:

oh okay. biology always was my worst subject

It's like a Kalua pig but at molten metal temps.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

juche avocado posted:

Fingering the page, he scanned for the word. Beads of sweat, formed on his furrowed brow from the twin fires of the hearth and his desire, in time turned to fingers, to soft drip-drip-drip against the rushes.

He looked out the window at the grove of lemon trees. Sunrise: The branches, bare as they are now in winter, were but fingers scraping at the teal-orange glow.

He would not suffer the fate of the trees. They may never grasp the sunrise, but he had found his quarry. It had taken him weeks of silent study, but before him, leather bound, his work sat complete. An index of every finger metaphor.

Were he not an adherent to the faith, he would continue the work. Someone must discover why it is that the finger seems to be the fundamental building block of the world. If his...

No, it was too dangerous for him to even consider. Needs must the next generation a question to answer too.

Drawing up his last finger of courage, and opposing his thumb perpendicular to it, he brought his hand to his temple, pointing inwards.

"Valar morghulis," he breathed, and there he died.

I don't think I'll ever stop being at least annoyed if not pissed that, out of all the book series I've read, THIS was the one that got the HBO treatment and became a cultural phenomenon.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80ucxc0rDWU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

It is not unless you are literally at ground zero. Atom bombs don't kill with fire, they kill with force

if something sufficiently shields just enough to survive I hope you like horrific burns and excruciating radiation poisoning for the six months you have left

I checked a website designed to show what ground zero for various cities would be and if a modern nuke was dropped on Boston my apartment building would absolutely fall the gently caress down and crush me to death bro

that's good enough for me

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Baloogan posted:

its wtf bullshit posts cats

ZDR unprobate the cat guy and probate me, ill serve his sentense!!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that's the current idea, to bury it inside of a deep salt strata like a salt dome under a desert which will then further compress and isolate itself over time

I got this one

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Vic "Jeb is a mess" Berger brings down the entire trump administration

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

loquacius posted:

I checked a website designed to show what ground zero for various cities would be and if a modern nuke was dropped on Boston my apartment building would absolutely fall the gently caress down and crush me to death bro

well look at mr fukken fancy death pants over here

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
my beautiful bashful baby boy, perfectly glued to the backdrop

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

loquacius posted:

ok that's fair

Bip Roberts posted:

It's like a Kalua pig but at molten metal temps.

this is... a colorful analogy

but it works

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/885203056673075203

TRUMP

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

galeanorth was literally the only poster i ever used the ignore list for because the cat pics were huge like 1.5 MB and on nearly every page and i phone post a lot so it was killing my data plan

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

ScrubLeague posted:

UN
BAN
THE
CAT
MAN

Burn CSPAM to the ground until our boy is free

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

mormonpartyboat posted:

high quality boy

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

alnilam posted:

galeanorth was literally the only poster i ever used the ignore list for because the cat pics were huge like 1.5 MB and on nearly every page and i phone post a lot so it was killing my data plan

rule 36

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

alnilam posted:

I used to think you were cool, but this is not cool

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
https://twitter.com/AlexSlitzPhoto/status/885203178949681153

pence fans lookin' eager for some vice p

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

reignofevil posted:

Being frank, we all know that the real driving force behind the "we must come up with an infallible millennia-spanning containment vault with universally-understandable warning signs" nonsense is the hope by the nimby set that by setting such an impossible standard, nothing will ever get done and nuclear power will just die off somehow.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

alnilam posted:

56k no

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

This has to be on purpose

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

alnilam posted:

well look at mr fukken fancy death pants over here

That's only if I'm at home when the nuke hits though

I fully admit that if the hard rains fall while I'm at work I will be both homeless AND afflicted with radiation sickness but alive for the time being

unless they carpet-nuke eastern MA, which, y'know, understandable

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

I used to think you were cool, but this is not cool

I wasn't proud of it but it was making the trump thread basically unreadable without burning thru my data :(

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

remember when the white house budget proposal double counted billions of dollars

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Louisgod posted:

This has to be on purpose

you know better than that

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

I hope the stories about him aren't true just because they are so horrible I don't want them to have actually happened to kids.

The DEN stuff is truly horrendous, but we don't really know Singer's involvement in the crime side of DEN past the allegations.

The stuff I know about Singer is more generally creepy rear end in a top hat taking advantage of young people in the business.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

they look like all the white people from Get Out

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

mormonpartyboat posted:

My Okay Son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009