Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Nosfereefer posted:

Some important doctor man lost use of both hands and I had a power claw laying around, so in a pinch I installed it. He still has no use of his hands :(

Looks like his arm is shattered, so you put a robot hand on a ruined arm. You should still be able to get the power claw back if you just remove it. If you get your hands (ha ha) on a bionic arm that should get him able to haul stuff and do basic interactions, although his manipulation skill will still be bad until you get him two arms, so I wouldn't sign him back up for medical duty until then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Burned off, shot off, cut off, shattered....turkey scar.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

bird food bathtub posted:

The firebirds of ancient legend were kind of a letdown when we found them in the stars, but they can still gently caress you up.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Mzbundifund posted:

Looks like his arm is shattered, so you put a robot hand on a ruined arm. You should still be able to get the power claw back if you just remove it. If you get your hands (ha ha) on a bionic arm that should get him able to haul stuff and do basic interactions, although his manipulation skill will still be bad until you get him two arms, so I wouldn't sign him back up for medical duty until then.

Yeah I get that, I'm only disturbed by the image of him hauling a power claw at the end of his shattered arm :(

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

OwlFancier posted:

Uh, you realise that this is a power claw?

While technically your doctor might have been able to do surgery with it, the chances of success would be... slim.

Depends a lot on the nature of the surgery doesn't it.

I found this extremely humorous and emitted an audible expression of mirth

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

If you get your hands (ha ha) on a bionic arm that should get him able to haul stuff

Word of warning, with only 1 arm he will only be able to haul half the amount someone with 2 arms could.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
In the current version it seems like condition debuffs are way too oppressive on skill success chance. With a 20% consciousness/manipulation loss (such as recovering from an infection), you might as well put the pawn on cleaning duty: Your skill 15 builder will fail to make wooden walls ~15% of the time. Your skill 15 grower will fail to harvest cotton just as often, wasting hundreds when clearing a field.

This probably makes joywires really really useless.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah i noticed that too. consciousness penalties should probably be logarithmic; if you're walking around on the tail end of an infection or have a long term but not permanent problem like a nanite infestation you should still be able to function, everyone's pushed through marginal days like that and managed to not gently caress everything up. sure you're not rocking the top of your game but you're also not acting like a rank amateur. at like 50% consciousness though it should be a serious impediment to your day, which just so happens to be where food poisoning puts you at so hey hurr

Heffer
May 1, 2003

If you couldn't successfully cook while stoned, no commercial kitchen would ever function.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Does the advanced prosthetics mod have any options for fixing shattered bones? I have the mod, but I still don't have enough plasteel for the fancier tables, or to craft anything more than a basic prosthetic arm. My top researcher got his radius shattered, but then again he's 78 with a bad back, so he might not be worth the trouble.

Also, how do I get more plasteel? I've stripped my first mechanoid but it it's nowhere near enough for my main stumbling block at the moment (the multi-analyzer), there's zero (visible) plasteel deposits on the map, and it seems like outlander bulk traders don't carry any. No plasteel means I'm kinda stuck since my two researchers have already exhausted the research tree for anything that doesn't require a multi-analyzer.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Deep drilling. It's the best! You'll be drowning in resources.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Just because there's no visible deposits doesn't necessarily mean there aren't any above ground deposits on the map, it just means you gotta make like a dwarf and start exploratory mining operations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Just make sure you do it at least 30 tiles away from your home area unless you like infestations.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

SexyBlindfold posted:

Also, how do I get more plasteel? I've stripped my first mechanoid but it it's nowhere near enough for my main stumbling block at the moment (the multi-analyzer), there's zero (visible) plasteel deposits on the map, and it seems like outlander bulk traders don't carry any. No plasteel means I'm kinda stuck since my two researchers have already exhausted the research tree for anything that doesn't require a multi-analyzer.
Bulk traders should carry plasteel, especially orbital ones.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Capture dudes, sacrifice them to Dagon/Cthulhu, get all the good poo poo

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I feel the more trade ships mod is still mandatory for colonies once you get to 10+ people.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Ive seen plasteel deposits in tropical and temperate maps. It may just be a random chance on any map. I would start a caravan and settle another tile and if none is immediately visible abandon it and try another. Tropical usually has jade as well. Ive started doing jungle maps and anecdotally they have more valuable deposits in general.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

hailthefish posted:

Just because there's no visible deposits doesn't necessarily mean there aren't any above ground deposits on the map, it just means you gotta make like a dwarf and start exploratory mining operations.

How does anyone do this? The level of micro managing is friggin obscene for a game that is basically nothing but micro managing. Mark one tile of rock, click to prioritize it, do nothing but wait until that pawn's done because you have to mark the next tile or they'll immediately wander away.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
You just mark out exploratory mine shafts 2 apart and let your pawns do it on their own time. No micromanaging needed.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Do you even VeinMiner bro

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yesterday I learned that the Allow Tool mod can do that, and gobs of other really useful poo poo, it's one of the best interface mods available.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
A team of Orassans drop podded in to help me against a raid that ended a few minutes ago and I'd already captured anyone still alive. Fortunately a little while later, a prison break occured, so they helpfully swooped in to put it down.

One of them used some sort of launcher that obliterated most of the prison, destroying more than half the beds and killing a couple prisoners.

Thanks cats

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

Yesterday I learned that the Allow Tool mod can do that, and gobs of other really useful poo poo, it's one of the best interface mods available.

Allow Tool should be one of your first installs in my opinion. Hunt Everything and Mine Connected are the two most useful tools, next to Select All On Map. Ever want to find out where you forgot those deep drills at? Now you can!

edit: Because goons are loving awful people, I present my warg den.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 12, 2017

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Warmachine posted:

PUPPIES!!! :neckbeard:

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

How does anyone do this? The level of micro managing is friggin obscene for a game that is basically nothing but micro managing. Mark one tile of rock, click to prioritize it, do nothing but wait until that pawn's done because you have to mark the next tile or they'll immediately wander away.

You can go into the 'work' section, click 'mine' and just order your colonists to cut a swathe through a mountain. Leaving 2 squares between shafts is optimal. This changed my life after way too long doing it square-by-square.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Designate the whole shaft and walk away man. It's okay. It'll get done eventually.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Are you setting work priorities for your pawns? Take one pawn that's good at mining and set mining to 1, and everything else at or below 2.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Warmachine posted:

Allow Tool should be one of your first installs in my opinion. Hunt Everything and Mine Connected are the two most useful tools, next to Select All On Map. Ever want to find out where you forgot those deep drills at? Now you can!

I really like this, I wonder if they eat less of the overall total by eating the body directly? I know they eat less than raw meat/veg if it's been through the cooking process.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

carnivores as a whole eat less and less often than omnivores or herbivores as a whole, to balance their more expensive diet somewhat. the particulars with butchered raw meat are just weird because the raw meat has a lower nutritional value than you might otherwise expect.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Bhodi posted:

I really like this, I wonder if they eat less of the overall total by eating the body directly? I know they eat less than raw meat/veg if it's been through the cooking process.

Cooking the food adjusts the nutrition value. I expect that eating the corpse gives the nutrition value of the raw meat per food item consumed and reduces the corpse by a commensurate value (the "percent missing" value).

Unfortunately, wargs won't eat kibble, but you should check the nutrition value of simple meals Vs the nutrition value of the raw meat. If it's < 0.09 then it's nutritionally worth it to cook their meat (keeping it separate is another story though).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Is there any material benefit to actually building cloth beds for animals?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Improved recovery rates from injury, showing that they are Good Girls and Good Boys. I don't think it affects their rest the way that beds do for people.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

immediately slaughter any animal that can fit in a bed imho

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

wargs won't eat cooked meals either so the point is moot. they are unique in that they only eat raw meat and corpses.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Coolguye posted:

wargs won't eat cooked meals either so the point is moot. they are unique in that they only eat raw meat and corpses.

What if the bodies are lightly singed by incendiary mortars? Does that count as "cooked"?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

nope

i mean in a technical sense yeah sure probably has denatured a couple-a proteins and poo poo but it's also still a corpse

to really test this we need a deep fat fryer so what i suggest is

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sorites paradox of a corpse

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Would wargs eat a live prisoner? Asking for a friend.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

GenericOverusedName posted:

Designate the whole shaft and walk away man. It's okay. It'll get done eventually.

When I finish rebuilding my now blown up desktop I need to investigate this. I must have overlooked how to designate the whole shaft somehow. Only way I've known how to do it so far is click the first block of visible material, press L to designate it to be mined. As far as I knew to this point there was no way to designate further blocks because they were invisible and would not let you select them. This has made mining a hideously tedious, one-block-at-a-time ordeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Heffer posted:

Would wargs eat a live prisoner? Asking for a friend.

Just make the only exit from your prison the warg den