Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

For sure, you'll regret not farming for the event servants. I only had KinRider at NP1, thankfully I had another single-target rider to tide me over until Onigaishima returned.
Another thing to watch out for; most of the welfare servants start off as 'temporary' until you get to a certain point (usually completing the event or trading a certain item in Scathassassin's case). Feel free to level and the 'temporary' one, just make sure to clear the requirement to keep 'em or you'll have burnt the EXP cards for nothing. Don't do what I did in last year's summer event and forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

anyone has a decent teamcomp if I want to fall asleep and just grind the exp hands?
eric bloodaxe, kiyohime or darius (whoever you have at a higher np level,) support waver, kaleidoscopes.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

OK. Again it's probably one of those things that will make perfect sense how to balance it all once said events get underway. If those events really are the only way to powerup those extra servants then obviously it makes the most sense to take advantage of that time to do so, but anything at all to alleviate the insanity of grinding monuments is something I would want to do almost equally. I guess my hope is that you wind up maxing out the NP super early and if you're on the ball can use the remaining time to get tons of monuments.

I haven't played the JP version so hopefully someone will correct me if I get this wrong, but let's take the first Halloween event as an example. One of the random drops from the event missions is Bats. 50 Bats could buy an extra copy of Caster Liz to power up her NP, max one because other copies cost different currencies. 20 Bats could buy a Twinkle Candy which is the only ascension material Caster Liz uses, max 4 which is all you need. Or 10 Bats buys you a Saber monument, max 20 times. Or 100 bats buys you an event-specific 4* CE, max 4 times because the game is heartless.

So it's a pretty simple decision of what to spend the event currency on, with the understanding that some of the things you can buy can be obtained elsewhere and some can't.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Endorph posted:

eric bloodaxe, kiyohime or darius (whoever you have at a higher np level,) support waver, kaleidoscopes.

I guess I do have to use Kiyohime now. :(

Also this has nothing to do with anything but why was everyone so confused when they first met Spartacus in Septum? Like... he's saying normal words.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of events, JP servers are back up and the summer event rerun is on.

And it's time to go surfing.

Tired Moritz posted:

Also this has nothing to do with anything but why was everyone so confused when they first met Spartacus in Septum? Like... he's saying normal words.

Kiyohime's not bad.

Yeah, I think Spartacus was one of the first Berserkers they made to speak in something other than unintelligible roaring/screaming/grunting. Not that always makes any more sense.

That's one thing they've done a good job of in FGO, adding Berserkers who are crazy in different ways, like Kiyohime or Nightingale.

Bakanogami fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 12, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

NRVNQSR posted:

I haven't played the JP version so hopefully someone will correct me if I get this wrong, but let's take the first Halloween event as an example. One of the random drops from the event missions is Bats. 50 Bats could buy an extra copy of Caster Liz to power up her NP, max one because other copies cost different currencies. 20 Bats could buy a Twinkle Candy which is the only ascension material Caster Liz uses, max 4 which is all you need. Or 10 Bats buys you a Saber monument, max 20 times. Or 100 bats buys you an event-specific 4* CE, max 4 times because the game is heartless.

So it's a pretty simple decision of what to spend the event currency on, with the understanding that some of the things you can buy can be obtained elsewhere and some can't.
In this case since Liz Caster is apparently medicore I'd think the CE and a mountain of Saber monuments would be far more valuable.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Bakanogami posted:

That's one thing they've done a good job of in FGO, adding Berserkers who are crazy in different ways, like Kiyohime or Nightingale.

Tamamo Cat best cat or dog thing. I love how unhinged she looks in the april fool card

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Nate RFB posted:

OK. Again it's probably one of those things that will make perfect sense how to balance it all once said events get underway. If those events really are the only way to powerup those extra servants then obviously it makes the most sense to take advantage of that time to do so, but anything at all to alleviate the insanity of grinding monuments is something I would want to do almost equally. I guess my hope is that you wind up maxing out the NP super early and if you're on the ball can use the remaining time to get tons of monuments.

Maxing out an event servant's NP and farming monuments are not mutually exclusive things. You'll usually be farming the event currency to buy monuments at the same time you are farming the mats needed to max the NP.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Tamamo Cat best cat or dog thing. I love how unhinged she looks in the april fool card

Is TCat's NP her chewing and beating up on her opponents and then falling asleep from overeating or exhaustion for 2 turns?

Description is vague but the title: Opulence of Sun and Shine and Catnap

Edit: VVV That is just fantastic.

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 12, 2017

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Is TCat's NP her chewing and beating up on her opponents and then falling asleep from overeating or exhaustion for 2 turn?

It is exactly that, and it is amazing.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

In this case since Liz Caster is apparently medicore I'd think the CE and a mountain of Saber monuments would be far more valuable.

Monuments become so plentiful that you eventually stop even noticing them in the event shops, whereas event servants are way more limited, so please make the good prioritizations and not the bad ones. Also Caster Liz is pretty alright, she's not as super strong as Rider Kintoki or anything but she's an OK AoE Caster

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

I saw this brought up elsewhere and I think it's that he spoke in an archaic and unusual way in Japanese.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
This ridiculous run gave me the last assassin monument I needed to 4th Ascension Jeanne:

Nate RFB posted:

So long Artoria, I hope I never have to fight you ever again.

That QP requirement though :eyepop:

Apparently, it costs 9 million QP to grail her the first time. I hope the cost doesn't go up with each additional grail.

UchihaHirou fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 12, 2017

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

UchihaHirou posted:

Apparently, it costs 9 million QP to grail her the first time. I hope the cost doesn't go up with each additional grail.

It does, but not by much.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
man, long hair jeanne looks off.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I like her 2nd Ascension look the best.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Tired Moritz posted:

He might've been saying normal words, but he still wasn't making any sense. He was essentially having an entirely different conversation from everyone else.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Other than story mode, what's the best way to get statues?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

The man called M posted:

Other than story mode, what's the best way to get statues?

Right now, doing the green set of Dailies that tell you 'Duel with Three Knights/Four Calvaries'. The 30AP one guarantees at least one piece/monument drop from the final fight.

In the future, Event shops and the revamped set of Dailies that don't suck rear end.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

Right now, doing the green set of Dailies that tell you 'Duel with Three Knights/Four Calvaries'. The 30AP one guarantees at least one piece/monument drop from the final fight.

Couldn't the final fight technically drop a Void Dust instead? I admit I've never definitely seen that, though.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

NRVNQSR posted:

Couldn't the final fight technically drop a Void Dust instead? I admit I've never definitely seen that, though.

No, void dust only drops from the Shadow Servants.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Vengarr posted:

No, void dust only drops from the Shadow Servants.

Oh, of course; I completely forgot that they have different drop tables. Thanks!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I encountered a Berserker today in the Dailies that I haven't seen before - blonde male, open white shirt, black pants, red gauntlets. Some big gold club.. thing.. as a weapon.

Twib
Dec 24, 2013
That would be Kintoki - like Gil, he's a 5* limited character that gets released early enough to be already in the game files ar launch. His claim to fame is being the strongest Berserker in the game. And for loving Gold.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Twib posted:

That would be Kintoki - like Gil, he's a 5* limited character that gets released early enough to be already in the game files ar launch. His claim to fame is being the strongest Berserker in the game. And for loving Gold.

Yeah he one-shotted my lvl 60 friend Gil that I brought along. I never got Gil, but I do have Catwoman and Lancelot for Berserkers. I'd kill for a decent caster though..

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

New Leaf posted:

Yeah that must have been it. What a confusing series..

its not confusing if you just read the vn

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I'm currently reading the LP and I hope it answers why there's like twenty versions of the the same person.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Endorph posted:

actually here, a summary of the welfares. also spoilers.

saber lily (saber): bad
halloween elizabeth (caster): mediocre. her only good things are her high np gain, but she has the same arts caster with buster np problem that gilles/cu caster/mephistopheles have. though she at least has a buster up skill. only useful for waveclear on assassin nodes, but she does a decent job at that.
nobunaga (archer): pretty alright. she's another aoe np welfare but her np does decent damage and her skills actually synergize with her decent stargen. plus her NP does extra damage to servants with Riding, and a lot of Sabers have riding. And she's an archer.
Santa Artoria (Rider): She's basically Alter Saber, but in the rider class, and with worse attack. Saber Alter is pretty good, somewhat worse Saber Alter is decent. And a heal with a half-decent buff attached is probably better than rank e charisma.
Ryougi (Assassin): Arts assassin who does decent damage, has a strong single target NP due to it automatically being NP5, and has a basic but good skillset.
Irisviel (Caster): Garbo. She's a dedicated healer but the thing is due to how this game works, heals over time like Hans has are so, so much better than just flat heals. And all her NP does is heal people. Hans's heals people and gives them buffs.
Kintoki (Rider): Insanely good. He has an insanely strong NP, a skillset that it solely focused on buffing it and pumping it out, and even has decent stats for his rarity and class. He's probably one of the best 4*s in the game, and he gives a bunch of the 5* Riders a run for their money.
Scathach (Assassin): Decent. Nothing to write home about and her stargen is pretty mediocre for her class, but her NP generates a lot of stars and does decent damage due to being NP5. Mostly useful as waveclear in Rider only nodes.
Kuro (Archer): Insanely good. An amazing skillset, an incredibly strong NP, good hit counts for NP gain, and great stats for her rarity and class. Not quite as good as Rider Kintoki, but still crazy good for being free.
Elizabeth Brave (Saber): Has the best animations in the game. Is otherwise a mediocre 4* saber, though her RNG-as-heck third skill and her single target NP can lead to some shenanigans.
Santa Jeanne (Lancer): An AOE buster skillset basically like all the sabers, but she's a lancer, and with the added bonus of her NP buffing the rest of the party. And again, saint's present is probably better than Charisma. Decent.
Chacha (Berserker): Actually pretty good. Her attack is kind of low but her class makes up for it, and an aoe buster is a lot better on a berserker than it is on a Saber or Lancer or Rider. Combine that with a strong defense debuff and a skill that makes it pretty much guaranteed that she'll have 100% crit rates and she can do some great damage. Not Kuro or Kintoki tier, but a step above the average welfares.
BB (Moon Cancer): The only Moon Cancer in the game, which makes her invaluable against Avenger bosses. Her attack stat is pretty low, but her NP is decently strong and it gives her allies 20% np gauge. Works great as a damage dealer on an arts team due to that, since everyone will just be using their NPs every single turn.

And to summarize:

2 are bad
2 are mediocre
3 are decent
3 are good
1 is great
2 are amazing

So a pretty good haul all in all considering they're free.

I know this is super late but I just wanna point out that Halloween Liz has two skills that generates stars, one of them over time, and both skills also come with survivability options attached (stars per turn + pretty big self-heal and stars + guts, respectively), and her remaining skill is a Buster buff that shores up her NP damage. And she's NP5 by default.
So she can feed your party stars and help you clear preboss mobs more effectively than Berserkers. Assassin mobs in particular can get extremely annoying later on, because they have natural high crit rate and can sometimes are quite tanky. Especially those loving automata that have a 1-use Evade skill and sizable attack. gently caress those things.
So while she's not amazing, she IMO has a solid niche that is sadly underappreciated.

Irisviel is a dedicated healer, but more important she can give AoE Guts much more often than almost everyone else because even though her NP generation is kind of rear end it's still way faster than anyone else's skill cooldowns. This can be an incredible boon when you need to stick around for a long time, such as certain challenge quests (e.g. the 100 Hassan fight) or when the enemy has Invul Pierce and your def buffs aren't cutting it. Her niche is very narrow, so she's overall not really good, but she can save your rear end when you do need that niche.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 12, 2017

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Stairmaster posted:

its not confusing if you just read the vn

sorry i only play vns that let me date boys

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

issei doesnt deserve him

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Marogareh posted:

I'm currently reading the LP and I hope it answers why there's like twenty versions of the the same person.

Throne of Heroes is a subsystem of the Akashic Records, also known as the Root, the sum total of all knowledge in the Multiverse and is basically God. The Throne of Heroes takes all legends and folklore and myths and stuff about the heroes and villains it houses and adds them to that hero's power level, which is why the actual Heroic Spirits in the actual Throne are ideal, perfect beings. Since there is no power source on Earth strong enough to manifest a Heroic Spirit in full, not even the weaker, lovely ones, people came up with containers that can store a Heroic Spirit's persona and a fraction of their power in it. Because there are different interpretations and stories about a hero from different stages of their life, and also because the multiverse is canon in the Nasuverse, different versions of the same guy can be summoned.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I think he's talking about how there's like 5 versions of the same blonde girl.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Oh that's because Takeuchi, the artist of the original game and co-CEO along with Nasu, is a Saber-phile and he loves sticking her everywhere.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the lead illustrator knows what he likes

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

one day nasu will write the shinji route

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

The Prototype characters are from an AU where FSN is this.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
The answer really depends on whether the person you're talking about is Cu Chulainn, Tamamo no Mae, Matou Sakura or Arthuria's face.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Proto Cu was a better design just puttin it out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Lancer Tamamo and two Bonnie Annes in one 10-pull. Back to hording for Summer 2017. :toot: