Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Nukes make the water on nuclear vessels and they probably want to get sick and die / hope everyone else gets sick and dies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Laranzu posted:

The LHD ran out of toilet paper after an unexpected extended stay in Kenya's harbor.

It was pretty brutal.

So do you masturbate into the socks you steal before you wipe your drippy rear end or the reverse and pretend you're doing anal?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Whoa whoa whoa, you're allowed to masturbate on boats?

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Zeris posted:

I only really worked on merchant ships from 2008-15, other than doing the merchant vessel security thing back in 04-05, but in all cases I'm pretty sure I affected the ballasting with the baby batter I was producing...

"You have been awarded a VA rating for Callused, Leathery Dong caused by inadequate access to proper facilities, 11%"

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Zeris posted:

don't ask, don't tell

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Impregnate outboard spaces

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Starting the new job tomorrow, goodbye Navy...you weren't really all that bad.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Reverand maynard posted:

wait how does water work on ship exactly?

it gets sucked up into the ship and then filtered via reverse osmosis and desalinated, but the water off the coast of India is special water, it's probably some of the most polluted water in the world, they discharge straight up black water into the areas where ships anchor out, and their rivers pretty much classify as black water. If your potable water processing system isn't running loving perfectly, the entire crew will get very sick, because India has loving disgusting water.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sounds like a great time to drink the radar cooling water. That, or drink the stuff in the bottoms of the -40 air traps.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Sir Lucius posted:

Starting the new job tomorrow, goodbye Navy...you weren't really all that bad.

You sure about that?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lol I took ADT orders to work at my NOSC.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

What depths of despair or drink led you to this decision?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Welp, at least you can help people in your unit with NOSC bullshit. Or don't.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

Welp, at least you can help people in your unit with NOSC bullshit. Or don't.

Actually this is roughly 90% of the reason I took the orders.
Communications are.... poor.

The other 10% is because the other job I had lined is getting badly delayed because jpas for some loving reason has my birthplace hosed up and I can't get a civilian cac. It's been resolved on the military side but the security team on the civilian side says it's not. Whatever.
They say it will still be available on Oct 1rst so hopefully the issue gets resolved by then.
It's possible there may be a gov shutdown so this may be a good thing.
Also the shipyard finally responded to my application from January! I'm on the list for an interview!
Just in time for the shutdown I'm sure!

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

orange juche posted:

it gets sucked up into the ship and then filtered via reverse osmosis and desalinated, but the water off the coast of India is special water, it's probably some of the most polluted water in the world, they discharge straight up black water into the areas where ships anchor out, and their rivers pretty much classify as black water. If your potable water processing system isn't running loving perfectly, the entire crew will get very sick, because India has loving disgusting water.

Would packing a lifestraw be a good idea?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Rotacixe posted:

Would packing a lifestraw be a good idea?

The gently caress is a lifestraw? Is it one of those portable purifier things? I dunno, maybe? I mean, reverse osmosis is a really good system for purification, but my experience with ship water is if you anchor in a bad port (any African or Indian port), expect everyone to get the screaming shits from the water due to some nasties that got past the purification system somehow. Also goes without saying don't drink the water in town, this applies for pretty much any non-US port visit though. I didn't get sick in Europe, but any other port, most of the crew got sick if they drank local water or drank water from the ship's supply until we got back out of port. Booze is fine to drink though, nasties are killed by alcohol.

Really the worst thing that will happen is the entire crew will be incapacitated and everyone will be standing watch from the can. (I have heard of ships having problems meeting mission because the whole crew was sick with stomach bugs)

I only bring up India because when our DESRON made port there, the entire loving crew was sick and making GBS threads and puking their brains out when they left port.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 13, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I remember when the ship sucked up a bunch of JP5 it spilled and everyone had the shits for a bit. They told us it was fine to drink it :downs:

That poo poo forever permeated the plastic of our nalgenes

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Fitzgerald post patch pictures. Wish they would release the prepatch ones.

https://news.usni.org/2017/07/12/new-dry-dock-photos-show-extent-hidden-uss-fitzgerald-damage

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

vulturesrow posted:

I am currently experiencing what is easily the worst port call I've had in my almost 20 years. If you're ever told you are going to India, just go ahead and lower your expectations, especially if you are on a carrier (and thus have to anchor out).

Didn't even get off until I had slg the last day.

I blame 3/4 of it on the ship.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Are they going to reopen that berthing when it's fixed or would they change it for a different purpose. Would be creepy to be assigned to the berthing where all those dudes died.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ron Jeremy posted:

Are they going to reopen that berthing when it's fixed or would they change it for a different purpose. Would be creepy to be assigned to the berthing where all those dudes died.

Change it to a paint locker.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

CMD598 posted:

Didn't even get off until I had slg the last day.

I blame 3/4 of it on the ship.

Didn't realize you were out here. This happens pretty much every time we bring a strike group to India so I can't fault the ship too much. Doesn't make it suck any less. I have at least one Sailor who didn't make it off either.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

vulturesrow posted:

Didn't realize you were out here. This happens pretty much every time we bring a strike group to India so I can't fault the ship too much. Doesn't make it suck any less. I have at least one Sailor who didn't make it off either.

Given its showing so far, it's just too unsurprising for me to not assume it played a part.

GW/Reagan/CVW5 may have just set a high bar for me though.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Ron Jeremy posted:

Guaranteed it ends up being a berthing again, there just isn't 'extra' space on a DDG where you could move it to.

No doubt there will be a memorial installed as well, similar to USS Cole.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Didn't the cole just lose their Goat Locker?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

CMD598 posted:

Given its showing so far, it's just too unsurprising for me to not assume it played a part.

GW/Reagan/CVW5 may have just set a high bar for me though.

Nearly all the issues were caused by one of two things: Indians not having services in place when we arrived, and having to anchor so far offshore (in waters that are known to be rough, combined with some intermittently sketchy weather). The ship has no control over any of that. Also, you really can't compare FDNF anything to stateside. Completely different OPTEMPO and way of doing business. Also don't forget you are on the oldest aircraft carrier in the entire Navy. I'm down for being critical where it's warranted but it really isn't in this case.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

Nearly all the issues were caused by one of two things: Indians not having services in place when we arrived, and having to anchor so far offshore (in waters that are known to be rough, combined with some intermittently sketchy weather). The ship has no control over any of that. Also, you really can't compare FDNF anything to stateside. Completely different OPTEMPO and way of doing business. Also don't forget you are on the oldest aircraft carrier in the entire Navy. I'm down for being critical where it's warranted but it really isn't in this case.

Wait, you went from oldest ship in the navy to the oldest ship in the navy? Wow you got hosed.

You were on Enterprise before she got decommissioned or was I thinking of another noble? You all look the same you know?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I didn't realize the blue ridge is the oldest active ship (constitution and pueblo don't really count).

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Ron Jeremy posted:

No, it will be berthing again, and as mentioned by Lou Takki, both will likely have memorials for the sailors who died in them. Now, will they change some of the design features as a result of this? Who knows. But having one side of the berthing have non-watertight doors and then have the other side have water tight doors did us no favors that night. It is a common design feature of FLT 1 DDGs (at least the Bath, Maine built ships), but maybe they'll rethink the design.

Cole lost their Goat Locker and Main 1. We lost berthing 1, 2 and the forward most machinery space.

I have now been in the berthings. The best way to describe them is you make a little LEGO house. Then you violently shake all those LEGOs until they are dislodged and scattered. That's what it looks like. I can't get further into detail for obvious reasons. It is incredibly eerie down there.

Also! I am in one of those pictures where they're showing off the patches. We were doing the hull walk when someone took it.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

orange juche posted:

Wait, you went from oldest ship in the navy to the oldest ship in the navy? Wow you got hosed.

You were on Enterprise before she got decommissioned or was I thinking of another noble? You all look the same you know?

My first deployment was on the JFK. I've also cruised on GW and Stennis. Never the Enterprise though. JFK was pretty fuggin' old and not a nuke.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008
Now there's an exotic mission. Towing an elephant back to land.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrSE4IRrCwI

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

vulturesrow posted:

My first deployment was on the JFK. I've also cruised on GW and Stennis. Never the Enterprise though. JFK was pretty fuggin' old and not a nuke.

I was on the second to last Enterprise cruise. I 'missed' the last one. At least they got a poo poo ton of port calls. We had as many beer days as port calls the time before.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Geizkragen posted:

I was on the second to last Enterprise cruise. I 'missed' the last one. At least they got a poo poo ton of port calls. We had as many beer days as port calls the time before.

More beer days than port calls iirc.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
Was on Nimitz in 08 during first CVN to Chennai. Can confirm double dragon Gastro'enteritis shipwide for two weeks straight and 4 hour cleaning stations daily with quarantine chow.

They park you out by a wastewater plant. You are drinking their poo poo.

Also the boats sank and every one was stranded on the pier. Have pictures of the situation. I wasn't sleeping there. Took the admirals gig to rescue people the next morning, oddly enough the 4th of July.

Only officers had hotels. So it was just enlisted being stranded on the industrial pier and they weren't allowed to leave or to find lodging.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Been out for over a month now and it's been good. Starting grad school in the fall.

Feels weird not having my paycheck but other than that it's not an ad transition. If any of you mil goons are going to UVA let me know. I want to be involved in the veterans organization.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Vriess posted:

Was on Nimitz in 08 during first CVN to Chennai. Can confirm double dragon Gastro'enteritis shipwide for two weeks straight and 4 hour cleaning stations daily with quarantine chow.

They park you out by a wastewater plant. You are drinking their poo poo.

Also the boats sank and every one was stranded on the pier. Have pictures of the situation. I wasn't sleeping there. Took the admirals gig to rescue people the next morning, oddly enough the 4th of July.

Only officers had hotels. So it was just enlisted being stranded on the industrial pier and they weren't allowed to leave or to find lodging.

Yes yes! I loved your pictures and this story!

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!
I got my hearing aids today and thought I would get some old model. I got some brand new poo poo that came out in May. It bluetooth connects with my phone. Safety stand downs and quarters just got a lot more tolerable.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

Yes yes! I loved your pictures and this story!

Can we all get a recap?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LordNad posted:

I got my hearing aids today and thought I would get some old model. I got some brand new poo poo that came out in May. It bluetooth connects with my phone. Safety stand downs and quarters just got a lot more tolerable.

You're AD and got some? What kinda bull did you have to go through to make that work?

I know my hearing is starting to get rough with background noise. Just didn't think you could stay in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

Laranzu posted:

You're AD and got some? What kinda bull did you have to go through to make that work?

I know my hearing is starting to get rough with background noise. Just didn't think you could stay in.

I had a brain tumor and the surgery left me deaf in my right ear. Ask your audiologist about it. They gave me the kind that amplifies my existing hearing as well as transmits from right to left.

As for staying in that remains to be seen. I can't even apply for a waiver until 1 year after the surgery but the occupational audiologist is optimistic. My left hearing is tolerable and all I have to do is go on a flight with her and prove I can operate safely.

EDIT: Ask about hearing aids not about getting a brain tumor.