Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

Well that sounds like problem #1. Can't they find a hobby instead? One that doesn't involve being awful.

how is that a problem? it's how a lot of society functions. it's been my primary drive most of my life. i certainly wouldn't have taken up weight lifting or been motivated to go back to school if women didn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Ausmund posted:

It doesn't make sense to me.

By saying it doesn't make sense to you, you're using the same logic as people saying it makes sense to them. Therefore, making not making sense and making sense are the same.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

how is that a problem? it's how a lot of society functions. it's been my primary drive most of my life. i certainly wouldn't have taken up weight lifting or been motivated to go back to school if women didn't exist.

That's a bit weird.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how. do you think most guys get into bodybuilding for its own sake? lmao. loving is the prime driver for most people.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean the primary drive for your life being to have sex with other people.

It's a bit weird.

I mean it's good fun but there's way better things you can do with other people.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

how. do you think most guys get into bodybuilding for its own sake? lmao. loving is the prime driver for most people.

Anecdotally, most bodybuilders I know seem to do it more for praise/social status amongst their male bodybuilder friends and sex is often viewed as a distraction from lifting or a fringe benefit at best.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

I mean the primary drive for your life being to have sex with other people.

It's a bit weird.

haha what.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ratoslov posted:

By saying it doesn't make sense to you, you're using the same logic as people saying it makes sense to them. Therefore, making not making sense and making sense are the same.
I'm saying it doesn't make sense to me to assume something about someone without getting to know who they are and how they think.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ausmund posted:

I'm saying it doesn't make sense to me to assume something about someone without getting to know who they are and how they think.

It makes a lot of sense to assume, specifically, that someone who advocates for hosed up poo poo to happen to other people for no good reason, is a piece of poo poo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ausmund posted:

but i'm not assuming, they've told me.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ausmund posted:

And yet you make assumptions about people you interact with every single day of your life, often without realizing it. That's just the way things work, kiddo.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

OwlFancier posted:

It makes a lot of sense to assume, specifically, that someone who advocates for hosed up poo poo to happen to other people for no good reason, is a piece of poo poo.

Altright people make the same argument about Muslims in europe. It's all extremist bullshit.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

like i told you before, it is not.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Who What Now posted:

And yet you make assumptions about people you interact with every single day of your life, often without realizing it. That's just the way things work, kiddo.
Things I do subconsciously isn't the same as using it as a rationale in an argument.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ausmund posted:

Altright people make the same argument about Muslims in europe. It's all extremist bullshit.

Except they're wrong? I'm not?

Like one of those is demonstrably true, the other isn't.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ausmund posted:

Not every instance of the logic is wrong just because some of them are.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ausmund posted:

Placing the burden on everyone else and never the fuckshits.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Ausmund posted:

Okay. Here's a question: If someone has committed a murder, is it correct to call them a murderer?

Because by your logic, just because someone's committed a murder, it's not proper to call them a murderer until you understand their thought processes and can then definitively say they're someone that murders.

Obviously, though, that's absurd- by committing a murder, they become a murderer. Your actions have consequences. What you do changes who you are.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Regarde Aduck posted:

Placing the burden on everyone else and never the fuckshits.
In my view, if people want to understand why there are fuckshits and where fuckshits come from, exactly.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Ausmund posted:

So if I find out someone I know is a republican and voted for Trump, I should just assume that they're a hateful biggoted piece of poo poo? I'm not okay with treating people like that. It doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe this makes me the bigot, but... yeah? I'd have to assume you are a bigot to some degree or at least comfortable enabling bigotry if you went out and voted for Trump. This is seperate from whether or not I like to call people bigots, but, like, objectively they support a giant bigot.

Bigot.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ausmund posted:

So if I find out someone I know is a republican and voted for Trump, I should just assume that they're a hateful biggoted piece of poo poo? I'm not okay with treating people like that. It doesn't make sense to me.

nobody would vote republican unless they were racist and doubly so for trump specifically. it's been a white supremacist party for decades and it only gets worse each passing year.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean there's always the possibility that they're incredibly stupid and have absolutely no concept of what they're voting for or what they're saying they support.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ratoslov posted:

Okay. Here's a question: If someone has committed a murder, is it correct to call them a murderer?

Because by your logic, just because someone's committed a murder, it's not proper to call them a murderer until you understand their thought processes and can then definitively say they're someone that murders.

Obviously, though, that's absurd- by committing a murder, they become a murderer. Your actions have consequences. What you do changes who you are.
Yes somebody who kills someone is a murderer. That's what the word means.

Assuming that they're an inhumane monster without even hearing the story or the context is what I'd have an issue with. I support rehabilitation and awareness over punishment and cruelty.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Who What Now posted:

So you're saying that the Nazis had some good ideas...
I mean the ban on cruel experiments on animals was a pretty good call. But allowing them on humans kinda ruined that.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ausmund posted:

Assuming that they're an inhumane monster without even hearing the story or the context is what I'd have an issue with. I support rehabilitation and awareness over punishment and cruelty.

Sweet. Go start a thread about it.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

OwlFancier posted:

I mean there's always the possibility that they're incredibly stupid and have absolutely no concept of what they're voting for or what they're saying they support.
I agree. I think there are circumstances where someone who is racist isn't necessarily hateful, but just lacks understanding or is uninformed. Or maybe they grew up in a conservative environment and haven't been exposed to different ways of thinking. Just assuming off that bat that they're a irredeemable piece of poo poo because of how they vote is what I take issue with.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ausmund posted:

I agree. I think there are circumstances where someone who is racist isn't necessarily hateful, but just lacks understanding or is uninformed. Or maybe they grew up in a conservative environment and haven't been exposed to different ways of thinking. Just assuming off that bat that they're a irredeemable piece of poo poo because of how they vote is what I take issue with.

Hahaha that's not what I said at all. Racists are hateful always whether they understand it or not.

Though it's correct that people can stop being a piece of poo poo, but not while continuing to support the republicans!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ausmund posted:

We have documented evidence that these people are irredeemable pieces of poo poo.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

OwlFancier posted:

Hahaha that's not what I said at all. Racists are hateful always whether they understand it or not.

Though it's correct that people can stop being a piece of poo poo, but not while continuing to support the republicans!

quote:

I mean there's always the possibility that they're incredibly stupid
???

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Who What Now posted:

We have documented evidence that these people are irredeemable pieces of poo poo.
Specific evidence isn't the same as broad generalizations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You can be stupid and also hateful. That's often the cause of misdirected hate, like "It's the immigrants that are stealing the jobs so I'll vote for the guys that want to gut employment rights."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was facetiously suggesting the hypothetical possibility that someone actually believes the opposite of everything the republicans believe and just has some sort of brain problem where they can't tell political parties apart.

Stupid or no if you're racist you're a hateful piece of poo poo.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Ausmund posted:

Ausmund posted:

Yes somebody who is islamic is a terrorist. That's what the word means.

Wow, such prejudice. Maybe you should go think about what you're saying before you jump to conclusions.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Stupid people can be hateful. Don't be ableist.

Ausmund posted:

Specific evidence isn't the same as broad generalizations.

Literally every single one of these fucknuts exhaustively documents their crimes. These aren't generalizations, they are statements of inarguable facts.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Guavanaut posted:

You can be stupid and also hateful. That's often the cause of misdirected hate, like "It's the immigrants that are stealing the jobs so I'll vote for the guys that want to gut employment rights."
Let's say someone has a dumb opinion on something. And that viewpoint other extremists use is rooted in something hateful. Maybe it's because they're a hateful person. Or maybe they don't understand the issue completely. Or maybe it's both. But to say it's ALWAYS hateful I don't agree with. People can make mistakes and get poo poo wrong. Like there are people that doesn't know what dead naming is. Doesn't necessarily make them a transphobe.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ratoslov posted:

Wow, such prejudice. Maybe you should go think about what you're saying before you jump to conclusions.
Dictionary definition?

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Who What Now posted:

Nobody is irredeemable.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Following links in this godforsaken thread has started to leak into my internet advertising profile or whatever the gently caress.

I've not even taken a first look at that poo poo.

Ausmund posted:

Let's say someone has a dumb opinion on something. And that viewpoint other extremists use is rooted in something hateful. Maybe it's because they're a hateful person. Or maybe they don't understand the issue completely. Or maybe it's both. But to say it's ALWAYS hateful I don't agree with. People can make mistakes and get poo poo wrong. Like there are people that doesn't know what dead naming is. Doesn't necessarily make them a transphobe.
There's a difference between not being aware of a term of art in a community but being willing to learn and being pissed that your job sucks and being misdirected into taking that out on some marginalized group instead of lack of employment rights.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ausmund posted:

Nobody is irredeemable.

*leans in close to the mic, lips like a puckered anus quivering with unreleased diarrhea*

Wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Guavanaut posted:

Following links in this godforsaken thread has started to leak into my internet advertising profile or whatever the gently caress.

I've not even taken a first look at that poo poo.

There's a difference between not being aware of a term of art in a community but being willing to learn and being pissed that your job sucks and being misdirected into taking that out on some marginalized group instead of lack of employment rights.
That's what I'm saying. It's worth trying to understand why they're saying it instead of leaping to a negative conclusion about them.

• Locked thread