Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It's not USB-the-protocol that's at fault afaict, but a near-universal implementation flaw in the devices. Implementers could check the opaque firmware for a valid signature after the last DFU_DNLOAD command is processed.

E: it looks like IronKey gets it right, as one example.

Elizabethan Error posted:

because if it wasn't and the firmware gets borked, you've now got a paperweight that was formerly a usb drive.

Can you think of a USB device that has had a controller firmware update, or made the firmware available for repair? I admit that I can't.

Subjunctive has a new favorite as of 21:29 on Jul 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Näcken claims another victim.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Flying fish can make powerful, self-propelled leaps out of water into air, where their long, wing-like fins enable gliding flight for considerable distances above the water's surface. This uncommon ability is a natural defence mechanism to evade predators.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

because if it wasn't and the firmware gets borked, you've now got a paperweight that was formerly a usb drive.

Then give it a method of rewriting the firmware that isn't just plugging it into a machine the same way you do every other time you use it. At least make you like, pop a cover and open/close a jumper to stop the firmware being write accessible

Subjunctive posted:

Can you think of a USB device that has had a controller firmware update, or made the firmware available for repair? I admit that I can't.

Also this. I've never had to repair the firmware of a USB, because every time I've broken one it's because the thing was physically damaged so I tossed it. If one did break in the firmware I'd just get a new one, because I don't store anything vital on it and whatever I had there I can just get back from my computer anyway. I've never had a stick that had firmware update or repair as an advertised feature.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is “USB device” synonymous with “USB flash drive” for kids these days?

I’ve never updated a flash drive’s firmware, but I have updated plenty of other devices’ firmware via USB.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

VideoGames posted:

I didn't know who she was so I went and looked her up and good grief she has earned a whole decade off to party if she really wants! I don't even have a medal, let alone that many golds and Olympic ones!

"A once-in-a-generation talent who dominated every Olympic event she was in went to THE BEACH and STARBUCKS?!
Kids these days are so lazy and selfish"

edit:
Don't feel bad, you can still fulfill your life's dream of having as many Tour de France titles as Lance Armstrong!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Baronjutter posted:

How do the drives infect? Wouldn't you have to run a program or something or are computers insane and auto-run things off a usb?

layoffs_august_2017.pdf.exe

Even with Autorun disabled, every single person who plugged that usb stick in is opening that file.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Wait, we're not supposed to run on a work computer the random flash drives we find? But if I run it on my home computer, it could have something malicious on it!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ak Gara posted:

Wait, we're not supposed to run on a work computer the random flash drives we find? But if I run it on my home computer, it could have something malicious on it!

Every office should just have a stand alone computer not connected to anything right by the front door so employees can satisfy their monkeybrain curiosity without doing harm.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

It's not USB-the-protocol that's at fault afaict, but a near-universal implementation flaw in the devices. Implementers could check the opaque firmware for a valid signature after the last DFU_DNLOAD command is processed.

E: it looks like IronKey gets it right, as one example.

USB /device/ yes, usb drive no. there's plenty of things that update firmware via usb.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Worth noting that any USB device can contain malware. It's not restricted to flash drives.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Facebook Aunt posted:

Every office should just have a stand alone computer not connected to anything right by the front door so employees can satisfy their monkeybrain curiosity without doing harm.

IT should just unplug all usb ports

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

USB /device/ yes, usb drive no. there's plenty of things that update firmware via usb.

No, they don't update the USB controller's firmware, which is the software at issue. That is a separate component from the phone/printer/vacuum/router's firmware that's being updated via the USB controller.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Azhais posted:

IT should just unplug all usb ports

There are always people who will actually need their USB ports for things, I often have work-critical stuff plugged in to my machine. I'm probably the only person on these boards who has a usb 3.5" floppy drive plugged into their work computer.

Also if my IT department are anything to go by they want nothing at all to do with actual hardware of machines beyond plugging in monitors.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Memento posted:

There are always people who will actually need their USB ports for things, I often have work-critical stuff plugged in to my machine.

Like, often, keyboards and mice.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Memento posted:

I'm probably the only person on these boards who has a usb 3.5" floppy drive plugged into their work computer.

Just lol if your CNC is new enough to use 3.5". Program that poo poo on 5 and a quarter.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Subjunctive posted:

Like, often, keyboards and mice.

That's what crazy glue is for

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
never stick your usb where it doesn't belong. I thought everyone knew this.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ilmucche posted:

Just lol if your CNC is new enough to use 3.5". Program that poo poo on 5 and a quarter.

Gravimeter, but yeah. It's not quite that old. My boss was furious when one of our students dropped his Windows 95 laptop that he had been using to program it because he thought once it was broken that was it. The idea that you could get a USB floppy drive was a revelation to him.

Then we shipped it to Brazil to run a survey, and found out in order to ship it back we would have to pay export duty worth about 2/3 as much as a brand new one.

Ima Giraffe
Apr 30, 2009

Pucker Up!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Reminder that people on the Internet poo poo all over her because she stood at attention instead of putting her hand over her heart or whatever during the US anthem. Even though she was raised in a military household and was taught to do that.

She deserves every good thing she gets.

That was Gabby Douglas, the other amazing black gymnast treated poorly.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/jsbthRL.mp4

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

I know I'm late, but that's his favorite pair of shoes?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/FDsarEF.mp4

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

this thread really makes you appreciate the resilience of the human body.

Tip Shades
Oct 28, 2016

I... guess he was trying to jump over both tables?

Man I wish I had that guy's self-confidence.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tip Shades posted:

I... guess he was trying to jump over both tables?

Man I wish I had that guy's self-confidence.

What about his broken jaw and/or neck?

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

loving hell the way his arms and legs spasm out after impact:barf:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SclbRYmGG9A&t=97s

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Memento posted:

I'm probably the only person on these boards who has a usb 3.5" floppy drive plugged into their work computer.

Wth do you need a floppy drive for? Only thing I can think of is that you work with antiquated equipment that need updating by it, otherwise just use images

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ima Giraffe posted:

That was Gabby Douglas, the other amazing black gymnast treated poorly.

It's me, I'm the internet racist now. Give me your best Holocaust denials!

I have a poor memory.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

djssniper posted:

Wth do you need a floppy drive for? Only thing I can think of is that you work with antiquated equipment that need updating by it, otherwise just use images

That's really weird, I thought for a second you were the guy who had already joked about having a CNC machine even older than only ran off 5.25" floppies. We have an mid-90s Scintrex gravimeter that has zero connections to the outside except for a floppy drive. If you want to get data off it, you need 3.5"s, and if you want to do anything with that data, you need some way to put it on a modern computer.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Memento posted:

That's really weird, I thought for a second you were the guy who had already joked about having a CNC machine even older than only ran off 5.25" floppies. We have an mid-90s Scintrex gravimeter that has zero connections to the outside except for a floppy drive. If you want to get data off it, you need 3.5"s, and if you want to do anything with that data, you need some way to put it on a modern computer.

https://www.amazon.com/Generic-SFR1M44-U-Emulator-Industrial-Equipment/dp/B008HYT6T2

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Yeah we looked at those but it's such a sensitive machine, we're not sure that opening it up will mean it still operates within spec. And it's such an old machine, no one can give us a straight answer on that. Anyways, like I said it's in Brazil now and chances are good it's not coming back, so we're probably going to be in the market for a new one before the end of the year. Or we might just start farming the work out to contractors.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah we looked into something like this for our CNC mills, but turns out that because it's still emulating a floppy drive, the machine can't just stream the g-code off the "disc" so each file is limited to 1.44MB or the machine won't read it.

Now we program the machine at 115200bps RS232 with a 30-foot DB9

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It's me, I'm the internet racist now. Give me your best Holocaust denials!

I have a poor memory.

Just proves that badass athletes who also happen to be black women scare people a lot and make them uncomfortable and that's some good schadenfreude too? It would be nice if it was only one person who got this poo poo though.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Memento posted:

layoffs_august_2017.pdf.exe

"Hide extension of known file types"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012
Some horse schadenfreude

instead of writing the families phone number on the horse the son painted it completely.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/rosy-pink-mistakenly-painted-horse-brings-levity-to-b-c-wildfire-fight-1.4201474
"She's old so she doesn't really give a (care) about anything anymore other than just eating," he joked. "She's a very expensive lawn ornament."\