Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Palladium posted:

The Street Fighter Spaniard is barely out and we are already counting on blue Pandorian cathumans to save AMD's rear end.

Do they call it the AMD RX Bison, or the RX Balrog in Japan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Riflen posted:

In a shocking turn, it's looking like Vega RX may only be revealed at Siggraph, or at best the release of AMD reference boards only.

https://www.techpowerup.com/235067/amd-aib-partners-rx-vega-manufacturing-bios-release-schedule-leaked

AIB partners only getting BIOS on August 2nd. Bets on when you'll actually be able to use this GPU?

I'd say mid-august at the earliest for AIB cards.

eames
May 9, 2009

so there's still a chance that Volta will launch before Vega AIBs become available. :bravo:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

eames posted:

so there's still a chance that Volta will launch before Vega AIBs become available. :bravo:

I can only hope so, I've been waiting a long time to upgrade from my 970.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

eames posted:

The late 2016 release date was a typographical error.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
My CS:GO crashed into a black screen then the game ran as normal as if nothing happened. Ran GPU-Z and found my 1070 running only at 8x mode. Reseating the card in the slot fixed the problem, got back 16x.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'd say mid-august at the earliest for AIB cards.

Wasn't it leaked that they don't even get a 'release' quality Vega BIOS until August 2.?
You can slap on 6 weeks plus to that.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

sauer kraut posted:

Wasn't it leaked that they don't even get a 'release' quality Vega BIOS until August 2.?
You can slap on 6 weeks plus to that.

Ummm, yes? I was replying to that very post. The minimum lag time before AIBs getting BIOS in and some cards making it to market should be around two weeks if they rush, I'd expect wider availability a month or so after.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

A nice dose of comedy for your morning:

r/AMD delusions posted:

We have all said that Vega FE release was a crapshoot and it definitely underwhelmed the gaming community who took it's performance as a measure to judge Vega.
BUT
1. We generally agree that FE is a great option for the intended market (prosumer)
2. Vega FE is definitely not running on intended drivers.
3. Vega FE is also facing memory latency issues which it theoretically shouldn't have.

My crazy theory :
RX Vega with the correct drivers will Buttf*ck the 1080 Ti. Yes the Ti.

Reasons why I believe so:
1. Tiled Rasterisation contributes a major part to the performance. It is disabled on Vega FE.
2. Memory latency causing issues should theoretically not happen and hence I'm holding drivers as the culprit again.
3. The FE giving out performance comparable to 1080 or 1070 in some cases. And being pretty effective in prosumer workloads. This somehow seems to me that it's an amd decision to appease the crowd but not give away anything on the performance.
4. In some cases, amd reps telling the pitchfork mob on here that the FE is working on intended drivers which clearly they clearly aren't.
5. Raja being so confident over the previous few months. And being deceptively mum since FE.

We all like to hate on the amd marketing team but maybe the strategy was to let nvidia think it's nothing but then come out with a defining product.
My confidence in that continues to grow day after day. I can't be sure, like anyone on here, but I do believe we're in for a definite surprise at Siggraph.

Tldr; Vega FE might have "intended" gimped drivers to hide the true performance on RX Vega but appease the crowds. I believe so because the features reportedly being gimped contribute to the performance in a very large way.

In case people want to downvote me to hell for being stupid, I'll take your upvotes when the benchmarks come out :)

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

:stonklol:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
wow thats some 9th degree checkers business strategy

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Those amd fanboys can't see the forest for trees on Vega. Product looks poor

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

quote:

I do believe we're in for a definite surprise at Siggraph

And how.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.techpowerup.com/235092/intel-says-amd-epyc-processors-glued-together-in-official-slide-deck

Looking forward to "nvidia says navi gpus "glued-together".

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

If Vega isn't bad, it'll be good!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Turns out Vega's entire problem was too much glue. Disassembling the die and replacing the interposer glue with Artic Silver 5 got me 20C temp drops and saved 50W!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Maybe they won't say anything and just own it in performance. And then release something MCM'd.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

At this point I don't disagree with him. Vega seems to be consuming way more power than predicted for its given performance. Like OK, maybe AdoredTV has been right all along and 1080 performance is roughly where this will land, but I don't think anyone figured it would be eating 400W to do it. Something went wrong.

I just disagree about the "and then it will surely be fixed in RX Vega in 2 weeks". If this wasn't reflective of the drivers or performance that RX Vega will provide, AMD would be shouting it from the rooftops. Radio silence means bad news.

The idea that AMD is somehow sneaking one past NVIDIA by making Vega FE super lovely is batshit crazy though. People are bailing in droves and buying Pascal, it's not in AMD's interest to sandbag on a product that's already horrifically late.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 12, 2017

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Paul MaudDib posted:

At this point I don't disagree with him. Vega seems to be consuming way more power than predicted for its given performance. Like OK, maybe AdoredTV has been right all along and 1080 performance is roughly where this will land, but I don't think anyone figured it would be eating 400W to do it. Something went wrong.

I just disagree about the "and then it will surely be fixed in RX Vega in 2 weeks". If this wasn't reflective of the drivers or performance that RX Vega will provide, AMD would be shouting it from the rooftops. Radio silence means bad news.

The idea that AMD is somehow sneaking one past NVIDIA by making Vega FE super lovely is batshit crazy though. People are bailing in droves and buying Pascal, it's not in their interest to sandbag on a product that's already horrifically late.

You mean you dont agree that AMD intentionally released gimped drivers to lower Nvidias expectations just to turn around and go Hah! 3 weeks later and surprise them with functioning drivers to totally ... steal... the GPU market with a 1080ti killer???

edit: aw I didnt see the edit but my quote button did lol

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Sold my RX 480's for $300/per on craigslist :toot: . Better than loving with ebay and having to ship things.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

fknlo posted:

Sold my RX 480's for $300/per on craigslist :toot: . Better than loving with ebay and having to ship things.

Nicely done, that owns.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Twerk from Home posted:

Nicely done, that owns.

Didn't even get raped or murdered! I had one guy trying to get me down to $550 or so but gently caress that guy. "Well the sellers on ebay are really only getting $X and it wouldn't be fair blah blah blah". I was just going to send them to a friend that was going to mine with them and send me the profits if they didn't sell this week.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

fknlo posted:

I just tossed mine up too for the same, was trying to sell a whole gaming PC with it in it, but might as well part that thing out.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

fknlo posted:

"Well the sellers on ebay are really only getting $X and it wouldn't be fair blah blah blah".

Oh what? then go to Ebay, rear end in a top hat.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Oh what? then go to Ebay, rear end in a top hat.

But I would prefer the option to rape and/or murder you when we meet in person! eBay doesn't offer you such options, rear end in a top hat.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Both parties, locked in a logic loop with no end in sight, die from the elements leaving both GPUs tragically unable to mine burritos ever again

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I was reading a reddit post asking why Galax, Palit, Gainward, and a couple other brands are not in the NA market (my best guess, they don't think the accounting/RMA overhead is worth it for a market 15% the size of China+the EU combined).

That reminded me though, what the gently caress was Galax's deal with that public flameout a couple years ago?

quote:

Signs of this were foreshadowed since late last year, but we were hoping to not see Galaxy move out of the US market. However now, even though Galaxy will not respond to our emails, it seems as though the fork has been stuck in Galaxy, because it is all but done. Emails to Galaxy in November of last year questioning strategy and product direction from HardOCP went unanswered. Galaxy has also been unresponsive in terms of continuing advertising with HardOCP in 2014. It ignored organizing promotions that were already paid for (6 Weeks of Christmas) with us in which we usually offer six Galaxy video cards to our readers. It instead offered us some warehoused power supplies that are not sold in the United States and we declined. We never heard from Galaxy again on advertising. Galaxy had also promised review samples of new NVIDIA GPU products that were never delivered. No communication was made that the new video cards were no long coming either. A video card vendor going silent about advertising budgets is certainly not unheard of, but one that suddenly does not want its products reviewed is something of a red flag.

It seems that we are not the only ones Galaxy did not respond to for months. You can add almost every major seller of its cards to the list and while it has spoken with NVIDIA it seems that there is not much to be said.

Galaxy’s sales force was Galaxy North America's representative arm, meaning that it actively sold Galaxy products to the likes of Amazon, Best Buy, NCIX, Newegg, and TigerDirect, among others. Speaking with these reps last year, it became evident that Galaxy North America went near dormant in terms of operating, communications, and shipping complete orders. After a string of sales proposals to etailers and retailers that were simply not in any way acceptable were quickly rebuffed by Galaxy’s customers, Galaxy seemed to have moved into official U-Boat mode and went silent for a good bit of time. Long time customers of Galaxy products were simply ignored as Galaxy communications ground to a halt. I have been in constant contact with Galaxy’s sales team over the last few months regarding Galaxy's direction and business plans for moving forward, but even its own representative arm was left in the dark. Hundreds of emails, texts, and phone calls were never answered while inventory shipments to customers were never delivered. Obviously this leaves the sales team in an odd situation when they cannot even get communications with the company it represents
Galaxy had been told by its sales team it was getting into a position that it needed to wind the business down with customers, or move forward. No plan was ever defined and no specifics were ever given outside of Galaxy stating that it wanted to continue business in North America. After Galaxy’s NA sales team lost total faith in Galaxy continuing to execute business properly, the team explained to its customers that it had no faith in Galaxy moving forward with any kind of business model. Galaxy is now trying to cut out its NA sales team by attempting to direct sell to etailers and retailers, but these attempts have fallen flat. Over the years, Galaxy has never fostered any direct relationships with any of its customer base, or much of one NVIDIA for that matter. This all seems to prove to me that Galaxy North America executives are either inept, inadequate, or simply incompetent to continue its business in North America. ...

quote:

Update - 3:44PM CDT - From Galaxy NA's Facebook Page:

"In response to reports of an alleged end to Galaxy’s business in North America, we would like to make clear that Galaxy is not pulling out from the North American market. We have recently had some changes in our structure and discontinued working with our current sales rep in North America but have no intention of ceasing business and operations in the region.

"Galaxy will continue all support and service as usual. We have a full team of staff servicing users’ RMAs and our support hotline is still operating. Our service email is still working as usual, we will continue replacing cards for end users, and our warranties will be honored and valid."
https://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/02/06/galaxy_abandons_north_american_gpu_market/1

Which they obviously didn't, Galax has no US market presence other than direct sales through their website.

So like... what the gently caress happened there?

A couple months later Galaxy did end up doing a merger with KFA2 to form the "Galax" brand so I can understand a little bit of internal turmoil. But it's not like the CEO is answering the phone and coordinating product shipments. Disappearing off the radar for months even to your subsidiaries is just loving weird.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 12, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

RX Vega lineup

Looking like there won't be top-end Vega cards from the AIB partners?

https://videocardz.com/70890/amd-radeon-rx-vega-xtx-vega-xt-and-vega-xl

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Cygni posted:

RX Vega lineup

Looking like there won't be top-end Vega cards from the AIB partners?

https://videocardz.com/70890/amd-radeon-rx-vega-xtx-vega-xt-and-vega-xl

I'm not sure where you are getting that from? It says that the cut down version will be AIB only, not that the high end version is AMD only.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm not sure where you are getting that from? It says that the cut down version will be AIB only, not that the high end version is AMD only.

With "AIO Cooler" there is a strong implication of being reference-only, like the Fury X. Partners get to put their labels on them, but no aftermarket boards or open-cooler options.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

maybe im reading too far into it, but saying "and this segment is AIB only!" implies to me that they plan on releasing first party cards in the other segments. seems strange to be competing against your own AIB partners for sales, unless its something like the Founders Editions where they are gonna mandate stuff at first and then let the AIBs do their own thing after that?

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

I think you are reading to much into it. It'll probably be like the RX 480 launch where initially every card was a reference design. Custom designs from the AIBs where not available until a month or two after launch. The Vega XL being AIB exclusive probably means there won't be a reference design for it and it won't be available until the AIBs get their own designs out.

Drakhoran fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 13, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

oh ok, that makes sense. ill be honest, i didnt really pay attention to the RX480 after the launch reviews.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Drakhoran posted:

I think you are reading to much into it. It'll probably be like the RX 480 launch where initially every card was a reference design. Custom designs from the AIBs where not available until a month or two after launch. The Vega XL being AIB exclusive probably means there won't be a reference design for it and it won't be available until the AIBs get their own designs out.

I wonder if that is because of bios stuff?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
They're probably just focused less on the not-high-end part for launch

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Seriously, this is just like the Fury X. AIB partners get to put their sticker on it but it's a reference-only product.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I'm ~assuming~ the AIO Vega is literally the same as the regular Vega so AIB for that part number probably dont make much sense since they can just put a watercooler on the chips they do have and accomplish the same thing but... kind of moot either way I guess. It says 375 fuckin watts on it stock its hard to believe still

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

1gnoirents posted:

I'm ~assuming~ the AIO Vega is literally the same as the regular Vega so AIB for that part number probably dont make much sense since they can just put a watercooler on the chips they do have and accomplish the same thing but... kind of moot either way I guess. It says 375 fuckin watts on it stock its hard to believe still

On a power-limited card, a 375W card is a significant upgrade from a 300W one.

AMD going for dat market segmentation.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Paul MaudDib posted:

On a power-limited card, a 375W card is a significant upgrade from a 300W one.

AMD going for dat market segmentation.

I mean, couldn't an AIB slap an AIO on an "air cool" Vega they do have access to and use more power? Or am I misunderstanding entirely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

1gnoirents posted:

I mean, couldn't an AIB slap an AIO on an "air cool" Vega they do have access to and use more power? Or am I misunderstanding entirely

"AIO Cooler [only]"

How many air-cooled Fury Xs did you see?