Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
I freely admit I'm bad at this game, but Dagger Toss kicks some serious rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Finally! A wall!

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

rujasu posted:

Lucky Draw got me a dupe and Zidane SSB. I had almost nothing for IX, so that's at least something. I have been fortunate in terms of pulling 6* relics, so I'm not stressing out much about any banners right now.

Not to veer too far off-topic here, but you can play FFXIV for free up to like level 30 now. If you're really that casual that you'll only play once every two weeks, well, it will probably take you a year or more to get through the free content, so all the better!

You... May actually have compelled me to give it a shot. I didn't realize it had any kind of free trial at this point.

Is it me or is it kind of jarring going back to realm dungeons after like a month of orbfest.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

iamsosmrt posted:

You... May actually have compelled me to give it a shot. I didn't realize it had any kind of free trial at this point.

Is it me or is it kind of jarring going back to realm dungeons after like a month of orbfest.

I have been trying to start a free trial on my PS4 and its been nothing but trouble- ranging from initially being unable to create an account because I had created an account in another region ten years ago for a trial of...something else? Then every attempt to log in with a new email/account has kicked me out and refused to start the game. Its getting to the point where I'm frustrated enough trying to log in that I want to give up on trying it out.

I'm also trying to blitz through as many realm dungeons as I can. A quick count is that I have a little over a hundred mythril left to grind out of elite dungeons, and I'm hoping that will help cover my Rikku and Rinoa pulls (and freeing up the mythril I have for another XIV pull). We should be getting at least 22 or so mythril tomorrow between the X Event dungeons and the Portal App rewards which should also help.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Having some trouble deciding how to spend my Bravery + Dexterity Motes. I have it narrowed down between Tidus, Zidane, and Vaan.

I have Tidus' OSB and Chain + Yuffie's BSB, so doublecast water has some potential there. I have Zidane's BSB and SSB, and the +wind damage would be nice, but I'm not 100% sure about how useful his Trance would be. Vaan probably sees the most play of the three, but his first LM is a bit meh and I'm honestly not sure how good his LM2 actually is in practice.

Any recommendations? Or are there going to be any other characters getting absurd LMs soon that use that combo?

Kumog
Dec 28, 2006
Am I your god?
Titan Apoc+ finally cleared, woo.

Turns out Celes/Ceodore was a hell of a useful combo for the fight. Celes just going BSB-CMD1 spam the entire fight, drain striking occasionally for heals. Ceodore tanking with Gaia's Cross and a bow in backrow, Lionheart RM. Constant SSB/BSB combo spam to keep medicas rolling and his HP never dropping because back row tanking is amazing when your BSB's CMD1 is a smart 25% heal to an ally.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
INCREDIBLY goddamn nerdy complaint about the latest announcement: announcing "The Dra Al Bhed Event" is like talking about the Rio Grande River, ATM machines, or PIN numbers.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
No, because the name of the event is Dra Al Bhed. So they're saying: "The "Dra Al Bhed" event'". It's perfectly valid.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Anyone know the duration of ex soldier mode? It seems pretty short

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

All EX modes last 15 seconds, and it's an absolute time; it will happily expire while you are inputting commands for that character

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Technically Terra's lasts 25 seconds, but she is the exception to the rule.

Some of them (the ones that increase stats) can also be extended if someone with Buff Duration Legend Materia uses it as an RW, but this is will rarely be relevant (maybe Rikku using Tidus USB and Tyro/Minfilia/Ramza using Marche USB).

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Having some trouble deciding how to spend my Bravery + Dexterity Motes. I have it narrowed down between Tidus, Zidane, and Vaan.

I have Tidus' OSB and Chain + Yuffie's BSB, so doublecast water has some potential there. I have Zidane's BSB and SSB, and the +wind damage would be nice, but I'm not 100% sure about how useful his Trance would be. Vaan probably sees the most play of the three, but his first LM is a bit meh and I'm honestly not sure how good his LM2 actually is in practice.

Any recommendations? Or are there going to be any other characters getting absurd LMs soon that use that combo?

Personally I'm doing Tidus because I have his BSB and OSB. Sapphire Shot under BSB does ridiculous damage with Cloud's BSB and it would be nice to doublecast those.

It feels like if you have multiple characters you use you either go for Trances or Doublecasts - my other mote spend is Yshtola to give her doublecast white magic

Edit: Also Orlandeu still doesn't have LM in Japan which is like 6 months ahead :/

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Edit: Also Orlandeu still doesn't have LM in Japan which is like 6 months ahead :/

Neither does OK and thats completely reasonable. They're so far ahead of the curve that the least they can do to stop people using him 99% of the time by buffing other characters first.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Onion Knight hasn't been ahead of the curve for months now. His BSB is still solid, but in a streamlined team you have better options (Reks for physical, Mog for magical), and as an RW it's faced a lot of stiff competition; Rikku's USB outclasses it completely if you don't need Swiftspell.

As a character, he's got great stats, top of the line ability access and an okay skillset. But he's lacking the utility skillset and SBs to make him a Tyro-level support now.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Nameless Pete posted:

INCREDIBLY goddamn nerdy complaint about the latest announcement: announcing "The Dra Al Bhed Event" is like talking about the Rio Grande River, ATM machines, or PIN numbers.

Fun fact - I used to live in a city in south Texas named Harlingen (and when I say south I mean all the goddamned way south, on the Mexican border), which was one of over a dozen cities that made up a region called the Rio Grande Valley. I don't expect you to have heard of it, not many people have. But I'm just saying that in one part of the US, the Rio Grande does not just refer to the river. And yes I know what Rio means in Spanish.

That said, the name of the event is LITERALLY "Dra Al Bhed". How else are they going to refer to it?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

Onion Knight hasn't been ahead of the curve for months now. His BSB is still solid, but in a streamlined team you have better options (Reks for physical, Mog for magical), and as an RW it's faced a lot of stiff competition; Rikku's USB outclasses it completely if you don't need Swiftspell.

As a character, he's got great stats, top of the line ability access and an okay skillset. But he's lacking the utility skillset and SBs to make him a Tyro-level support now.

I asked the question earlier but didn't get responses

Tyro with Wall, USB and BSB, Yshtola with Wall, BSB - Do I need both of these characters?

Can I kick out Tyro and replace him with Ramza or something?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

depends on the fight doesn't it? i have fights where i bring both since i expect yshtola to be very busy healing, and others where i only use ysh or even only tyro.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Tyro with Wall, USB and BSB, Yshtola with Wall, BSB - Do I need both of these characters?

You could, but Tyro is a dancer and his USB is really good. On fights with lots of status ailments you'll want him to USB and Ysh to Wall. On fights with lots of incoming damage you'll want Tyro to wall and Ysh to BSB.

It also depends on the rest of the party and what relics you have for other people and what you RW.

Give it a try, I guess. It isn't like hard content costs Stamina.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Yeah the recommended blind attack for most enemies/conditions barely even proced. It was awful

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

If you don't need Tyro's USB and/or Y'shtola's BSB early then yes you can roll with just Y'shtola.

Keep in mind that if you're relying on Y'shtola for both Wall and BSB and she's your only source of healing, she'll have to RM Dr. Mog/Mako Might for Wall starter, then Wrath for 3-ish turns to get enough bar for BSB. Any Wrath turn means she can't heal, or you forego Wrath for healing and take longer to build bar for BSB. That may not be possible depending on the fight and/or the rest of your team setup.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Honestly the rate at which even newer relics become obsolete is the main reason I'd never spend any real money on this game. I can't imagine looking at some Vega 42s moldering in my vault and going "yep, I paid $25 for that" let alone the insane amounts some people spend chasing things. That reddit thread routinely has people spending multiple hundreds of dollars on a single banner and it blows my mind.

I have a 6* Vega 42s + with full rosettas and it's equal to the Rigels (Sazh's BSB weapon) in attack power. Better than it, with synergy. "Obsolete" is a strong term, for stat sticks.

(And I say that as someone who pulled a Force Saber as my only new relic on the lucky draw. That's definitely obsolete.)

That said, SB obsolescence is speeding up, and that worries me.

Armitage posted:

Yeah the recommended blind attack for most enemies/conditions barely even proced. It was awful

Before Blindga (and Blind Shell) came around with its 60% proc rate, our best options were the 1* Black Magic Blind (30% proc), 2* Support Dark Attack (20% proc) and 3* Dark Buster (30% Proc). Then Shadow Flare came around with a 50% proc rate and players pissed themselves in glee, because Sephiroth was already The Strongest and the banner also had Lunatic High (remember that? The game's first hastega and protectga) and suddenly people were dropping $500 on a banner and ragequitting when they didn't get their husbando's sword.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

The gist of everything people's saying is, you don't really need to have a set "A-Team" or whatever. Most difficult fights require you to think out a working strategy and mix and match different combinations of SBs. I only have Tyro's USB along with Y'shtola's Wall and BSB and have had quite a few fights where I needed all 3 of these components to get through an A+ fight. With Cloud Meta's arrival, you might even roll those two PLUS Ramza and another support character, all in place to buff your solo DPSer.

KataraniSword posted:

That said, SB obsolescence is speeding up, and that worries me.

What newer relics are truly being made obsolete these days? Mostly I see either new relics that were just poorly thought out and obsolete before they even arrived or things that will always be decent at least CM usage.

iamsosmrt fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 13, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

iamsosmrt posted:

The gist of everything people's saying is, you don't really need to have a set "A-Team" or whatever. Most difficult fights require you to think out a working strategy and mix and match different combinations of SBs. I only have Tyro's USB along with Y'shtola's Wall and BSB and have had quite a few fights where I needed all 3 of these components to get through an A+ fight. With Cloud Meta's arrival, you might even roll those two PLUS Ramza and another support character, all in place to buff your solo DPSer.

That said, having one solid "core" team that is able to get you through at least U++ fights is good to lean on to get the mythril, orbs, eggs, and MC lodes you need to really be able to be flexible like that.

Tyro's advantage is that he can fit literally every niche skill-wise. You could have him wrathing/lifesiphoning constantly to keep USB and Wall going, or you could have him doing AoE breaks with dances, or fitting elemental weaknesses/status effects in for mastery, you name it. Y'shtola's advantage is that she heal real good.

You don't need both sources of wall in your team, but it certainly can't hurt unless you need more DPS.

EDIT:

iamsosmrt posted:

What newer relics are truly being made obsolete these days? Mostly I see either new relics that were just poorly thought out and obsolete before they even arrived or things that will always be decent at least CM usage.

What's your definition of "newer"? CMs are a niche category where even the old, outdated stuff is good because you're under challenge constraints, but outside of them, Rikku USB pretty much makes any combination of Hastega+buffs irrelevant with the rare exception of stacking stat boosts. Terra and Rosa notably have USBs that are "our great SSB but better". Cloud USB and Squall BSB2 are pretty much kings of the damage hill. Even Minfilia's USB is a direct upgrade to Vessel of Fate's entry, though Swiftspell spamming and OK's ludicrous stats keep VoF notable. Every OSB that isn't TG Cid's is lesser in comparison, especially for RW purposes, because Orlandu's is just that good. And so on.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 13, 2017

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

KPC_Mammon posted:

You could, but Tyro is a dancer and his USB is really good. On fights with lots of status ailments you'll want him to USB and Ysh to Wall. On fights with lots of incoming damage you'll want Tyro to wall and Ysh to BSB.

It also depends on the rest of the party and what relics you have for other people and what you RW.

Give it a try, I guess. It isn't like hard content costs Stamina.

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

If you don't need Tyro's USB and/or Y'shtola's BSB early then yes you can roll with just Y'shtola.

Keep in mind that if you're relying on Y'shtola for both Wall and BSB and she's your only source of healing, she'll have to RM Dr. Mog/Mako Might for Wall starter, then Wrath for 3-ish turns to get enough bar for BSB. Any Wrath turn means she can't heal, or you forego Wrath for healing and take longer to build bar for BSB. That may not be possible depending on the fight and/or the rest of your team setup.

My main party:

Orlandeu+OSB
Vaan + BSB
Tidus + BSB + OSB or Agrias + BSB

and the mentioned Tyro and Yshtola

RW: Hastega+Attack boosts

I was thinking of taking Tyro out, putting in Ramza with Shout (bit outdated) so I could make room for Tidus to use Cloud's USB.

I think in harder content having Ysh do nothing for 3 turns would probably not work. Really in general I just wanted to jump on the Cloud USB train

iamsosmrt posted:

With Cloud Meta's arrival, you might even roll those two PLUS Ramza and another support character, all in place to buff your solo DPSer.

That could work! Vaan even already does 3 separate stacking defense debuffs. Does one solo Cloud RW outperform a whole team?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

That said, having one solid "core" team that is able to get you through at least U++ fights is good to lean on to get the mythril, orbs, eggs, and MC lodes you need to really be able to be flexible like that.

Tyro's advantage is that he can fit literally every niche skill-wise. You could have him wrathing/lifesiphoning constantly to keep USB and Wall going, or you could have him doing AoE breaks with dances, or fitting elemental weaknesses/status effects in for mastery, you name it. Y'shtola's advantage is that she heal real good.

You don't need both sources of wall in your team, but it certainly can't hurt unless you need more DPS.

EDIT:

What's your definition of "newer"? CMs are a niche category where even the old, outdated stuff is good because you're under challenge constraints, but outside of them, Rikku USB pretty much makes any combination of Hastega+buffs irrelevant with the rare exception of stacking stat boosts. Terra and Rosa notably have USBs that are "our great SSB but better". Cloud USB and Squall BSB2 are pretty much kings of the damage hill. Even Minfilia's USB is a direct upgrade to Vessel of Fate's entry, though Swiftspell spamming and OK's ludicrous stats keep VoF notable. Every OSB that isn't TG Cid's is lesser in comparison, especially for RW purposes, because Orlandu's is just that good. And so on.

Newer being the last six months or so. If you have supreme luck and got all the best relics, then I guess you'd never really go back and use like Zell's BSB or Basch's BSB or something, but I wouldn't think the vast majority of players have had such luck. That said, I think obsolete is the wrong term here. Brand new relics outclassing slightly older relics? That's happening, but in this game, those outclassed relics will still literally clear all content just fine. I've personally never even gotten OK's BSB, which is being outshined now, but I'd be pretty drat happy to get it.

The OSBs are an example of what I was saying earlier. They weren't good from the start. The quicker the game moves away from them, the better.

That could work! Vaan even already does 3 separate stacking defense debuffs. Does one solo Cloud RW outperform a whole team?

If you work it right, it can. It's very possible to do 200K+ damage per action, if not more.

iamsosmrt fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 13, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Do Wrath and Lifesiphon give comparable soul juice, or is one of them better at generating than the other? (Obviously, Lifesiphon also does damage, which is good unless it's going to trigger counters.) I'm thinking of setting Ramza up for Entrust, and he can use both of those.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I think wrath gives slightly more but it also gives a 5% damage boost (which will override shout and the like). So its better used on mages who dont care about their attack stat.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think wrath gives slightly more but it also gives a 5% damage boost (which will override shout and the like). So its better used on mages who dont care about their attack stat.

If Ramza is doing Wrath/Entrust, he doesn't care much about his attack stat either, as I don't have any damaging soul breaks for him. Mostly he just drops Shout, which is why I'm trying to give him something useful to do; I have plenty of other people who would appreciate some more soul bar.

Good to know, thanks.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Prism posted:

Do Wrath and Lifesiphon give comparable soul juice, or is one of them better at generating than the other? (Obviously, Lifesiphon also does damage, which is good unless it's going to trigger counters.) I'm thinking of setting Ramza up for Entrust, and he can use both of those.

LS 30% of a bar, Wrath 36% of a bar. Getting hit by an attack gives a character 10%.

With the materia that gives increase generation you need 3 LS but 2 wrath for a full bar. If you get hit 2 LS is enough

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Im not sure if you considered this or not so i do apologize but making ramza dead weight is woefully underutilizing him.

If he has mako might/dr. Mogs teachings he can open up with shout and use full break/breakdowns, or really anything, and get back a full bar just in time to cast shout again. Shout isnt going to stack with itself so going in with the plan to just spam it is almost as bad as an empty slot.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

Im not sure if you considered this or not so i do apologize but making ramza dead weight is woefully underutilizing him.

If he has mako might/dr. Mogs teachings he can open up with shout and use full break/breakdowns, or really anything, and get back a full bar just in time to cast shout again. Shout isnt going to stack with itself so going in with the plan to just spam it is almost as bad as an empty slot.

As someone who has used Ramza as a battery before, letting someone with EX mode + OSB poo poo out damage is anything but dead weight. Enelement + OSB is also probably worth attaching a battery to if the boss is weak to that element.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

RagnarokAngel posted:

I don't want to spam Shout. That's why I want to let him do something else too. I have no other source of Hastega but Shout (and Cid-7's identical SB).

He can do (one kind of) Breakdown plus Full Break, sure - or I can have him power up any of my people who would really like extra break bars, one of which is much better at breaking than he is due to having SBs that do it plus dancing, and another of which is Alphinaud for Deployment Tactics and Aerial Burst.

Plus, weakness hits, as noted. Agrias cleans up against anything that is or can be imperiled down to Holy weak, especially if Raines can also capitalize on that. Obviously not all of these apply at once, but yeah, Entrust Guy seems like a useful role for Ramza sometimes.

And it's not like I can't switch back for times I don't need it, either.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

In the Titan Apoc+ fight I cleared I was doing over 40k damage per CMD1 on Cloud while the Orlandu player was doing maybe 65-70k with his OSB and 15-20k with his BSB's CMD1 when he used it early on.

It's absolutely possible for a well setup character with Cloud's USB to out damage an entire party. Especially if that character is hitting elemental weakness. Tidus using his BSB against a water-vulnerable enemy, for example, would probably out damage the rest of your party several times over.

Philouza
Jul 20, 2005
Titan A+ and Jump Start downed; mage dark team for the A+ and a physical holy team for JS. Jump start was painless, A+ was a bit closer but that's to be expected.

A+
Raines [BSB]
Nabaat [BSB]
Irvine [BSB]
Vanille [BSB]
Tyro [Wall]
RW Vessel of Fate
Nabaat + Raines is pretty awesome.

Jump Start
Ramza [Shout]
Selphie [USB]
Beatrix [BSB]
Locke [OSB]
Agrias [OSB]
RW Wall

Still have to do the Titan multiplayer stuff. I'll probably take Zidane and Alph for some wind fun and hope things go well.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Evil Fluffy posted:

In the Titan Apoc+ fight I cleared I was doing over 40k damage per CMD1 on Cloud while the Orlandu player was doing maybe 65-70k with his OSB and 15-20k with his BSB's CMD1 when he used it early on.

It's absolutely possible for a well setup character with Cloud's USB to out damage an entire party. Especially if that character is hitting elemental weakness. Tidus using his BSB against a water-vulnerable enemy, for example, would probably out damage the rest of your party several times over.

Yeah, I mentioned it earlier but in the Bahamut D300 fight, my Cid (VII) did 260k with the opening cast of his BSB under Cloud's USB + Zack Chain with 3 imperil stacks, which is insanely disgusting. And that's with a character who isn't even fully dived, had a lovely weapon with no synergy, and only one piece of +element gear.

Before all of the setup, that same 10-hit BSB cast did 7k damage total, so imagine what a character who was already pumping out big numbers with no buffs could do.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Would an RW'd ex mode overwrite an existing ex mode

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Lightning USB and CLOUD USB seems to stack, but I didn't try it on particularly hard content so I could be mistaken.

99,999 x 2 thundering twinstrikes is a great way to clear elite dungeons though.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

EX modes all stack with everything (though note that effects which are on the same SB but not part of the EX mode, such as Cloud USB's crit=100%, obey normal stacking rules).

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i was looking through enlir's and it seems cloud's 100% crit is a unique buff 'cross slash' and has its own buff id

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I'm going to eke out 50 mythril before the cloud banner goes away and I'm conflicted over whether or not to bankrupt myself with one more draw on it

• Locked thread