Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
They've said the faction classes are fully customizable (and you can even put them in normal soldier gear or vice versa) and I assume if you get to keep the ~story important~ ones they're the only pre-made ones you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Coolguye posted:

when a bonded squadmate dies the survivor doesn't panic, they go into a special killing frenzy where they get large buffs to aim and crit but you lose control of them and they move like an advent soldier (which is to say, like an idiot)

Unironically owns.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

A Shadow of Mordor style nemesis system is loving awesome. I can't wait to see how it develops in practice.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Wow, it's $40 on steam. I found it for $36 on GMG, anyone know of any better deals?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Looking forward to viewing those vids but it's neat to see the XCOM dev team take some neat inspirations from the Long War series while stripping out the extreme grognarding

I have high hopes for this as usual, DLCs have been 50/50 but the main games and expacks have been consistently fantastic.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Coolguye posted:

when a bonded squadmate dies the survivor doesn't panic, they go into a special killing frenzy where they get large buffs to aim and crit but you lose control of them and they move like an advent soldier (which is to say, like an idiot)
You singed my hair!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

marshmallow creep posted:

Unironically owns.

To be clear I am making poo poo up

I hope it works like that though

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oh I know. And I do too.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
The special narrative hero units work like Shen's Last Gift. Play with the mission enabled and you get the named unique one. Play without out and you get a randomly generated one.

Atleast that's how I heard is how it works.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Alright, so the xpac is $40 on Steam. Cheapest I found is $29.51 on GMG, use the code 2017E318OFF for the full discount. Works for me in the states, dunno about other parts of the world.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Might have missed an official announcement clarifying it, but from the videos above I would have assumed you got to play the unique characters from each faction for those story missions as a demo/tutorial and once you have enough rep with the faction you can recruit a customizable soldier of your own.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Jetamo posted:

The special narrative hero units work like Shen's Last Gift. Play with the mission enabled and you get the named unique one. Play without out and you get a randomly generated one.

Well I hope starting a new game with a controller doesn't disable them like it does with the current DLC.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Gato posted:

Looks like the hero units are fixed characters like Shang and Durand from EU, which is a bit of a shame. I always felt like using them detracted from the fun of procedurally generating your own stories.

please tell me they're not called hero units.......

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Photobooth lookin sick nasty.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Jetamo posted:

Yes, that is how it works. Enable the narrative mission and your first Reaper and Skirmisher will always be Outrider and Praval Mox.

Disable it and they'll be either random dude or dudette or someone from your character pool.

And as a side note: bonded squadmates will indeed go berserk (not a normal panic, in other words) if their partner dies.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

the photobooth is GOOD for xcom

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
You know, as much as I wanna know more about all this... I think I'm going to avoid looking at the gameplay videos.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Reapers eat aliens. Including the sapient ones. That's not creepy at all.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Speedball posted:

I'm guessing there's not a whole lot of other choices if you're in the cities. The Twinkies probably ran out years ago :v:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Speedball posted:

Ah yes, :turianass: Reapers :turianass:

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I'm now curious if eating roast chryssalid is purely down to lack of options or if they are actually good.

YouSpoonyBard
May 10, 2007
You Killed Anna!

Coolguye posted:

To be clear I am making poo poo up

I hope it works like that though

I actually think Jake said this on the Gamespot E3 stream. He lumped this behavior in with the new will-based maladies that can afflict your squad.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
"Commander, we're received word of a lone rebel adept at fighting the Lost. This 'Talahassee' only requests one thing: a Twinkie."

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Speedball posted:

You're tellin me there's not gonna be mountains of instamash and processed salisbury steak after the apocalypse?

Fallout you've lied to me once again!! :argh:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

BenRGamer posted:

You're tellin me there's not gonna be mountains of instamash and processed salisbury steak after the apocalypse?

Fallout you've lied to me once again!! :argh:

Frozen pizza rolls, dude.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

cerious posted:

Alright, so the xpac is $40 on Steam. Cheapest I found is $29.51 on GMG, use the code 2017E318OFF for the full discount. Works for me in the states, dunno about other parts of the world.

drat, I've been really stoked about the expansion since I first heard about it, but somehow I've remained completely oblivious to the price (until now). Thanks for this info--just picked up a copy.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Anime_Otaku posted:

I'm now curious if eating roast chryssalid is purely down to lack of options or if they are actually good.

Crustaceans are generally good

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The Nemesis system, soldier bonds and photobooth/poster thing show that Jake has finally understood after all these years why I love XCOM. You fixed your game, Jake. :unsmith:

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

cerious posted:

Bless you friend.

e: worked for me in the UK, in case Britgoons want to try.

e again: I'm genuinely astounded at how good Jake and Firaxis are at not just making solid, fun games, but they seem to have a really good understanding on how to make it even better. Enemy Within was the single best expansion of any game I've ever played that I can recall, it wasn't just some new stuff tacked on, it was a fundamentally new experience that built on top of what was already great. Seeing the awesome little tweaks, like the ability to predict view range or wether moving to a location will be a flank shows just how much attention to detail and how much feedback and player experience they take on board.

PiCroft fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 13, 2017

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Jake is such a goober to listen to talk about his games. The Lost missions look amazing and should offer that middle ground of overwatch creep and timers, I think it is a great mechanic and a good way to solve that problem without getting rid of timers altogether.

Also loving the additional narrative. But c'mon, Vahlen? Also there looks like there is one new facility on the avenger that no one entered into in all the videos I've seen thus far - wondering what it is.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
The concept of hero units put a bit of a foul taste in my mouth, but I am willing to give them a shot.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gyshall posted:

Also loving the additional narrative. But c'mon, Vahlen?

Good god, what did she do this time?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

With how much they're adding I really want them to make the squadsize max at eight or ten without mods and just slam a bunch of enemy pods down, just so there's more to see and do. The big thing I'm worrying about is money/resource bloat for half of this stuff.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm looking forward to Long War 2.5 because I have a brain disease

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Backhand posted:

The concept of hero units put a bit of a foul taste in my mouth, but I am willing to give them a shot.

They're just normal units with special progression like Psi-Ops or Sparks.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

RBA Starblade posted:

With how much they're adding I really want them to make the squadsize max at eight or ten without mods and just slam a bunch of enemy pods down, just so there's more to see and do. The big thing I'm worrying about is money/resource bloat for half of this stuff.

With the whole special-mission-conditions thing they've got going on, I'd be very surprised if "take extra soldiers, but the mission is harder" wasn't in the rotation somewhere.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Last night I finally made it to the last mission. I'm playing Ironman so, hopefully I don't gently caress it up tonight.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Okay watching the parts of the video about soldier bonding and the photobooth has amplified my hype levels from "minimal" to "ecstatic"

gonna bond so many soldier barbies

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Have they said if that plot mission is always going to be reapers and skirmishers(?) in that first mission, with the latter getting captured by the assassin, or if that will randomize abit and you might get a different chosen ruining the day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Thyrork posted:

Have they said if that plot mission is always going to be reapers and skirmishers(?) in that first mission, with the latter getting captured by the assassin, or if that will randomize abit and you might get a different chosen ruining the day?

They haven't yet.

Though I assume it'll probably always work out like that if you enable the plot stuff since VA is expensive. Randomization would come in with the missions you get if you disable the narrative ones, like how Alien Hunters works.