Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Futaba Anzu posted:

is there any way to rearrange icons on the menu or add more rows?

They'll always be in order played, descending. If you reboot or change what's in the cartridge slot, that will jump to the front. Once you have over 12 games or applications, at the end of your row will be a symbol to access a grid listing all programs available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

japtor posted:

The hardware is mature more or less (the wrinkle being needing to deal with multiple possible performance/output profiles), but the software stack is still new. It's like if you were porting between Windows and macOS, the hardware could be completely identical but you (...and/or whatever middleware dev) still have to deal with all the underlying software differences.:

That's why I said some. Best case is probably low teens performance improvement due to stack optimization. At the end of the day though, we have a likely FreeBSD kernel running on a standard ARM platform with graphics extensions written by a company who has been doing it in Android for years. Improvement is always a possibility, it's just not going to be as big from a platform perspective.

Devs will get a better handle on what works well and what doesn't, but that's going to be more "avoid doing costly things" than unlocking latent potential.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

japtor posted:

I'm thinking it's more an issue if you want USB-PD cause that stuff tends to be the most shoddily implemented, like stuff not actually being able to power what they advertise.

This isn't an issue if you actually get a good USB-C cable, though. Just make sure you don't use the UBS-C cables that come with PD power banks like RavPower or Anker cuz they're pretty much all poo poo and non-compliant. If you get PD power bank with a solid, in compliant USB-C cable you'll be safe and have enough power to charge the Switch while playing.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

E-Money posted:

Is there a secret to playing zelda in handheld mode comfortably? I was really excited about playing handheld but am really struggling with the joycons. Especially on the right side. Everything feels out of place and i have to do a claw grip to get everything to work. Already switched jump/sprint controls. Maybe my baby sensitive hands are just spoiled by PS4/Xbone/Pro controllers but it's been really uncomfortable. I think it would be fine for other games but it just feels like an awkward stretch.

Rip the joycons off and try to find a way to play in tabletop mode. Though it doesn't technically fix the gate between your thumb's reach and the lower buttons and joystick, the added comfort of playing with your arms where they want to be will make it work

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
I still get a lot of disconnects while playing ARMS or MK8 online... Does my router suck or does Nintendo?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've literally just bought whatever the first Linksys I see in an office Depot, or used the wireless modem my internet provider provides, all on default settings(except password of course, and changing my dns to 8.8.8.8), my entire life, and never had any connectivity problems with any device ever.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Deltron 3030 posted:

I still get a lot of disconnects while playing ARMS or MK8 online... Does my router suck or does Nintendo?

There's going to be a flood of "internet works fine for me" posts but I had to DMZ my Switch to play online and I still get disconnects in MK8

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Networking is basically magic

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Fun Times! posted:

Ordered a screen protector and SD card almost a week ago and that poo poo hasn't shipped. I'm impatient. Waiting for the card to arrive to download Mario Kart.

I ordered mine from American Amazon on the 6th, it shipped on the 8th, and it arrived on the 11th.

And I'm in Canada, and never paid extra for shipping.

:iiam:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't even know what DMZ means in a device context

geddy
Jul 12, 2017

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It stands for "demilitarized zone" and it basically is a setting on your router to use if you're in a bad part of Afghanistan, I assume.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Same thing it means everywhere, but the technical is it's a separate network port so all ports are open and it's outside the firewall. So if someone wants to hack your switch and there's a networking exploit and you have it in the DMZ you are getting hacked.

In a corporate network a DMZ usually still has some firewall rules but it's much more open, it's where you put your web servers so people on the internet can access them, but they can't access your internal servers.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

See that's your problem right there, don't use firewalls

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Default router settings have firewalls

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Deltron 3030 posted:

Yes.

Many home routers are meh and Nintendo doesnt have a great track record. I have a westell fios router that plays nice with everything but i also dont live in a wifi filled apartment either. I told my parents to buy a more pricey router when despite the router being smack in the middle of the house they couldn't really keep a signal 1 floor up. $100 later they have way better coverage in the house, partly by using a 5Ghz signal now. the Switch handles 5Ghz so going that route might help too.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Deltron 3030 posted:

With both ARMS and MK8, you're connected to one other person acting as the server (or, perhaps you are the server.) You're at the mercy of their connection quality. It's especially bad in MK8, because they have to serve 10 more people other than yourself. So, MK8 being generally lovely online is to be expected. ARMS I know less about, especially the lobby. Hopefully it's not the same deal.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

enojy posted:

With both ARMS and MK8, you're connected to one other person acting as the server (or, perhaps you are the server.) You're at the mercy of their connection quality. It's especially bad in MK8, because they have to serve 10 more people other than yourself.

So what the hell are we eventually paying for?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

LethalGeek posted:

Yes.

Many home routers are meh and Nintendo doesnt have a great track record. I have a westell fios router that plays nice with everything but i also dont live in a wifi filled apartment either. I told my parents to buy a more pricey router when despite the router being smack in the middle of the house they couldn't really keep a signal 1 floor up. $100 later they have way better coverage in the house, partly by using a 5Ghz signal now. the Switch handles 5Ghz so going that route might help too.

If you are going to spend $100, keep the router they give you if the firewall is decent enough, turn off the wireless and just get a Unifi wireless AP AC lite Supports wireless AC, is an AP and not a router, supports mesh networking and all the other features for only $78. It's intended for small businesses but the UI is friendly enough.

Switch does support wireless AC, I've had it connect at gigabit speeds to my network using one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I couldn't maintain a local multiplayer connection over WiFi with two other switches playing MK8D on release weekend. We actually ended up having to do an online Friends Only multiplayer.

So, to sum up, local network play was constant drops, only two people could maintain a connection and the 3rd was always booted (random person every time.)

Round trip it though the internet? Worked fine for hours on end.

It's possible patches to either the game or switch have improved things since.

My local wifi is a mesh network that works really really well with every other device.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Imagined posted:

It's not dedicated servers lol

Note that this is how things work for most console games, for generations now. Only thing Nintendo is late for is charging for it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

InFlames235 posted:

This isn't an issue if you actually get a good USB-C cable, though. Just make sure you don't use the UBS-C cables that come with PD power banks like RavPower or Anker cuz they're pretty much all poo poo and non-compliant. If you get PD power bank with a solid, in compliant USB-C cable you'll be safe and have enough power to charge the Switch while playing.
It's a bit more nuanced than that cause the Switch itself not being compliant. The problem seems to be that it negotiates at .5A then proceeds to draw 1.5A, if the charger isn't expecting that or can't output that at whatever voltage profile it negotiated at it can overload the charger. (Those two appear to be fine, albeit not enough if anyone wanted a portable dock power setup cause they only do 15V/2A when it seems like the 15V/3A profile is needed for the dock).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Get an AirPort Extreme. Mine never gives me wifi problems with anything including my Switch.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Deltron 3030 posted:

I was getting MK8 disconnects last night and it doesn't happen with other consoles and computers.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Dr Cheeto posted:

Networking is basically magic

As a network engineer, I appreciate people continuing to think this so I can keep getting paid very well.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nintendo wifi just doesn't play nice with certain routers it seems. Consider an ethernet dongle if you're having issues.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zelder posted:

And then he killed everyone

And then Whis undid it because Dragonball Super has gone a level beyond Zero Fucks Given. They call it Zero Fucks Given 2. :ssj:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Finally got around to playing a bunch of Wonderboy and how the hell do I deal with vampire dragon.

I do like 2 damage to him while he seemingly chunks off half my lifebar in a single touch and it's kind of bonkers. I really don't want to go through the final dungeon again just to die to a cheap boss

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I don't remember him being that tough, you probably need better weapons and armor. I think by then I had a legendary sword and legendary shield, which helped a lot.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Those can be got pretty easily by going back to the opening dungeon.

I don't recall vampire dragon being tough either, Daimyo dragon had a tougher pattern. I can't remember what vampire dragon's pattern even was.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Those can be got pretty easily by going back to the opening dungeon.

I don't recall vampire dragon being tough either, Daimyo dragon had a tougher pattern. I can't remember what vampire dragon's pattern even was.

It's less that he's tough because he has hard attacks, it's moreso he just does so much damage while I plink away at him so it's just that it takes so long I start making stupid plays trying to get it to go by faster.

Will need to go nab the legendary stuff though as I was using whatever is a step below it (I assume)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The sword you get in shogun land or maybe a shop near there actually does more damage for lion than even the legendary. Don't remember it's name.

Also the Hades armor is an autores like a potion.(but make sure you reequip some armor after it happens)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Deltron 3030 posted:

I think MK8D has worse netcode than MK8 somehow. I have had more disconnections the first day of MK8D than I did the whole time of playing MK8.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spacebump posted:

I think MK8D has worse netcode than MK8 somehow. I have had more disconnections the first day of MK8D than I did the whole time of playing MK8.

It's definitely better after the patches. I don't have any issues with disconnects now.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had 1 disconnect issue post-patch but none after that :shrug:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Here's this week's drop.

Switch
ACA NeoGeo Fatal Fury Special | NA | PAL | $7.99 / £6.29 / €6.99 (eShop Only)
Bulb Boy | PAL | £7.19 / €7.99 (eShop Only)
Cars 3: Driven to Win | PAL | £49.99 / €59.99 (eShop / Retail) (14 July)
De Mambo | NA | PAL | $12.99 / £ ? / €10.99 (eShop Only)
Death Squared | NA | PAL | $14.99 / £ ? / €10.50 (eShop Only)
I And Me | NA | $9.99 (eShop Only)
Levels+: Addictive Puzzle Game | NA | PAL | $6.99 / £ ? / € ? (eShop Only)

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 13, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Drive to win, PAL!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

japtor posted:

It's a bit more nuanced than that cause the Switch itself not being compliant. The problem seems to be that it negotiates at .5A then proceeds to draw 1.5A, if the charger isn't expecting that or can't output that at whatever voltage profile it negotiated at it can overload the charger. (Those two appear to be fine, albeit not enough if anyone wanted a portable dock power setup cause they only do 15V/2A when it seems like the 15V/3A profile is needed for the dock).

Iirc that only applies to chargers that support new standards for negotiating multiple type-C outputs. The dude that found out it's non-compliant did it with a custom testing circuit, I don't think there are any chargers out there that would actually risk being overloaded

It's kind of impressive that the internet hasn't afaik managed to burn a Switch while charging yet

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Really, joycon docks should be on every keyboard

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Imagined posted:

The matchmaking protocol and a bunch of NES games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Imagined posted:

we're getting the opportunity to give nintendo money just like sony and microsoft. be thankful for it

• Locked thread