Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

Covok posted:

Does it baffle anyone else that this not one, not two, not three, but seemingly dozens of channels on youtube that just talk about Star Wars lore everyday? That's it. That's all their content. Just "this is how the Sith used to use the toilet" for a minute. And, even more baffling, they have a good subscription and view count?

Sometimes I get bored and just start reading random wikis.

Our bizarre capitalism spawn sometimes like that except someone else reads it to them because they grew up with YouTube the way we did with TV.

Also jivjov is great because you can imagine their avatar saying all their posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
jivjov isn't even G-canon.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

UmOk posted:

I would post a jivjov-ish response to this, but as we can see I'm a failure at that.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

UmOk posted:

jivjov is j-canon.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Oh I'm noncanonical, I don't exist in-universe.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

jivjov posted:

Oh I'm noncanonical, I don't exist in-universe.

extradimensional jivjov

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

uftheory posted:

Is Chewbecca's life debt to Han or back history of being a slave anywhere in the movies? I've always just though of him as Han's hired muscle/copilot/mechanic.

As a kid I always wonder why they programmed C3PO to be so scared all the time and why R2D2 wasn't given a voice synthesizer since they obviously had the technology. This thread has been like a visit to the Star Wars holocaust museum for me and made me realize I wasn't respecting their struggle.

I don't think Chewbacca's backstory was mentioned at all in the OT. In the prequels he was, what, some kind of military officer? Yoda's military liason on Kashyyyk or however it's spelled. But we have no film reference for what happens to him in between.

R2D2 never had a voice synthesizer because then the films would be rated R.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Where did they get fireworks to shoot off on endor?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

banned from Starbucks posted:

Maybe on their Spaceships?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Fireworks aren't that hard.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
how did they got thee corpus of dark vador to ender? was it magiks?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

That was falling death star debris being blown up by xwings so the teddy hear picnic didn't get ruined.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Fun fact: the funeral pyre scene was filmed at Skywalker ranch.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Covok posted:

Does it baffle anyone else that this not one, not two, not three, but seemingly dozens of channels on youtube that just talk about Star Wars lore everyday? That's it. That's all their content. Just "this is how the Sith used to use the toilet" for a minute. And, even more baffling, they have a good subscription and view count?
There is a stupid amount of lore to cover though, so having a few dozen channels splitting the load is a good thing

At least the Great Canon Purge got rid of most of the garbage, but alas, we lost things like the early Dark Horse Star Wars comics, so...your mileage may vary on whether or not it was a good thing

On the bright side, no Vong and Darth Caedus
Downside, no Kyle Katarn and Mara Jade

Jewmanji posted:

Fun fact: the funeral pyre scene was filmed at Skywalker ranch.
It was bonfire night and they just kept the camera rolling

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Vinylshadow posted:

There is a stupid amount of lore to cover though, so having a few dozen channels splitting the load is a good thing

At least the Great Canon Purge got rid of most of the garbage, but alas, we lost things like the early Dark Horse Star Wars comics, so...your mileage may vary on whether or not it was a good thing

On the bright side, no Vong and Darth Caedus
Downside, no Kyle Katarn and Mara Jade

It was bonfire night and they just kept the camera rolling

It's not like the new EU is inherently better in any way. The only reason Disney steamrolled the old EU is so they could fill in all the old gaps themselves with their own merchandise. It's all just as unnecessary and of equally spotty quality.

The old EU at least had its own sort of bizarre, patchwork charm. I was never into most of the actual EU products themselves, but all of the old reference books attempting to tie everything (and I mean everything) together into a coherent narrative were really cool and led to a lot of worthwhile creativity, IMO. It was like some grand, glorious religious apologia project on steroids. I got the same kick out of it that I get from reading all the convoluted explanations for Jesus having two different genealogies in the Bible. It's great stuff.

I also felt like it actually made the universe feel paradoxically more lived-in and real to have all this insane, implausible, and frequently very silly stuff popping up everywhere amidst all the more measured and down-to-earth narratives. That's pretty much what real life history is like, anyway. Like, have you ever heard of the Pig War? Or that time NASA lost a Mars orbiter because they forgot to convert from English units to metric? Or like, have you noticed that Donald J. Trump is currently President of the United States of America? If I can believe those things, I can believe that in the Star Wars universe Han Solo punched a space otter one time, or that IG-88 secretly uploaded his mind into the Death Star as part of a grand scheme to liberate droid-kind from the shackles of slavery. That's basically the definition of pulp.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Sounds like there will be a BTS reel or something for Last Jedi at the D23 thing. Nice

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Really Chewbacca is a mog: half man, half dog.

He's his own best friend. :v:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

dialhforhero posted:

Really Chewbacca is a mog: half man, half dog.

He's his own best friend. :v:

I too watched Spaceballs!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Cnut the Great posted:

It's not like the new EU is inherently better in any way. The only reason Disney steamrolled the old EU is so they could fill in all the old gaps themselves with their own merchandise. It's all just as unnecessary and of equally spotty quality.

The old EU at least had its own sort of bizarre, patchwork charm. I was never into most of the actual EU products themselves, but all of the old reference books attempting to tie everything (and I mean everything) together into a coherent narrative were really cool and led to a lot of worthwhile creativity, IMO. It was like some grand, glorious religious apologia project on steroids. I got the same kick out of it that I get from reading all the convoluted explanations for Jesus having two different genealogies in the Bible. It's great stuff.

I also felt like it actually made the universe feel paradoxically more lived-in and real to have all this insane, implausible, and frequently very silly stuff popping up everywhere amidst all the more measured and down-to-earth narratives. That's pretty much what real life history is like, anyway. Like, have you ever heard of the Pig War? Or that time NASA lost a Mars orbiter because they forgot to convert from English units to metric? Or like, have you noticed that Donald J. Trump is currently President of the United States of America? If I can believe those things, I can believe that in the Star Wars universe Han Solo punched a space otter one time, or that IG-88 secretly uploaded his mind into the Death Star as part of a grand scheme to liberate droid-kind from the shackles of slavery. That's basically the definition of pulp.

The Aftermath series may be mostly bad, but it, and the rest of the new EU, I'd say has a far better track record so far than the old EU. The worst of the new EU would have been considered mediocre in the old EU. The worst of the old EU...yeesh. And I'm not just talking the Vong or bug orgies. Early/mid stuff like Truce and Bakura or Children of the Jedi were complete horseshit. Oh and Darksaber. And The Crystal Star. And The Courtship of Princess Leia. And The Black Fleet Crisis.

The Aftermath series is, I think, the worst the new EU has given us. And even it has some fun characters. I can think of nothing redeeming in Children of the Jedi. Other "bad" new EU books like Tarkin are really just mediocre and forgettable. And there are some pretty good books so far, like Lost Stars, Bloodline, and, to a lesser extent, Lords of the Sith. Granted, it's a smaller sample size, but percentage wise, the new EU is on a better track than the old EU was.

edit: And while merchandising was of course the driving force, it also would have been impossible to make movies with the old EU in place. They have to start a movie in a universe where

- Chewie was dead (a moon was dropped on top of him)
- Han and Leia had 3 kids, but one of them was killed by masochistic other universe aliens who are invisible to the Force, and another went evil and was killed by the third
- Luke has a son with a wife who was killed by the evil Han/Leia kid

At a bare minimum, this stuff would have to come up if you used the old characters. Which you know they would.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 14, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Plus it's not like nerds aren't used to universes getting rebooted. It's not like DC didn't find a new way to include every obscure character after Crisis on Infinite Earths. A lot of the fan favorite Star Wars EU has made or will eventually come back in some form. It didn't take long to bring back Thrawn. They can't really bring back Han and Leia's kids, but I can see Mara Jade returning in some fashion.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Plus it's not like nerds aren't used to universes getting rebooted. It's not like DC didn't find a new way to include every obscure character after Crisis on Infinite Earths. A lot of the fan favorite Star Wars EU has made or will eventually come back in some form. It didn't take long to bring back Thrawn. They can't really bring back Han and Leia's kids, but I can see Mara Jade returning in some fashion.

Does TFA actually make explicit that they only had one child?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

homullus posted:

Does TFA actually make explicit that they only had one child?

Not really. Han says he saw, "...our son." So all it really confirms is that they have one son alive.

You'd think if they had more kids it would have come up in conversation, though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

thrawn527 posted:

Not really. Han says he saw, "...our son." So all it really confirms is that they have one son alive.

You'd think if they had more kids it would have come up in conversation, though.

It depends. Han and Leia haven't seen each other for a while, and when they meet things are pretty focused on Ben and the immediate situation at hand. If their daughter was off somewhere living her life normally and they both had full knowledge of what she was up to, there may have been no reason in the limited time they had to discuss her. Like if two divorced parents had to talk on the phone because one of their kids was in the hospital or something, the conversation would probably center around that particular kid and not much else.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Even if they had outright said he was an only child, that wouldn't stop them from adding another, not would it be without precedent.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!
Rey could easily turn out to be a daughter that they were told died in infancy if a writer/director really wanted to go that route.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

Rey could easily turn out to be a daughter that they were told died in infancy if a writer/director really wanted to go that route.

She's Luke's.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The comics did reveal Han was briefly married before he even met Leia.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Jabba bought out his unpaid child support debt.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
There's no scenario where a reveal of Rey as Han and Leia's daughter isn't cheap and lovely.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

To be honest, I'm fully expecting these genealogy reveals to be met with simply an "ah, okay."

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

General Dog posted:

There's no scenario where a reveal of Rey as Han and Leia's daughter isn't cheap and lovely.

Er, I didn't realize my post was right after talking about Rey. I didn't wanna insinuate that. That would indeed be cheap and lovely.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think they later said it was a scam wedding for a con Han was involved in.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
What if Rey and Kylo Ren are the new Solo twins?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Beeez posted:

I think they later said it was a scam wedding for a con Han was involved in.

I remember reading that, but I was never sure if they meant if they faked a wedding or if that they actually legally got married to carry out the scam.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Covok posted:

What if Rey and Kylo Ren are the new Solo twins?
So at what point was the third child unceremoniously killed off because he was gonna go down the same path as his grandfather and them having the same name was too silly so they gave that story to the older brother instead?

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

I just noticed how the Last Jedi trailer showed the rebels fighting AT-ATs. :suicide:

But don't worry guys, this isn't corporate boardroom committee bullshit because they're fighting in the desert this time! It's artistic!

The Force Awakens isn't going to be the only retro movie in the Sequel Trilogy.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Did you skip Rogue One or something?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Honestly, the way things are set up, an ESB clone isn't that out-of-place

Rey's training with a grumpy old fart
First Order swans into the rebel base and kidnaps Rey's two boyfriends, so she's gotta go save them
Kylo and Rey duel and someone loses a hand

And I wouldn't even be mad

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Was Rogue one 3D a limited run that is oop already or is it just out of stock for now? Went to grab it today and realized they were gone everywhere :wtf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I am all about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJxDQVnOyx4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lei0GoZbWw4

Gonz fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jul 15, 2017

• Locked thread