Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Sorry to kind of ignore your post, but is this quality level of terrain/table at stores normal? I see a lot of pictures of people playing on what I would consider low quality tables, and that is one thing when its your own table and you might not have the time or resources to get make something nice, but a store should at the very least have fully painted terrain and something a little nicer than the sad little hill. Maybe I am spoiled because I build a lot of terrain and spend as much time on boards as I do models, but I can't imagine getting excited about putting my models, that I have spent dozens if not hundreds of hours on, on some half assed table like that.

It's a folding table inside a newsagents that sells 40k stuff on the side, it's very much a beggars can't be choosers situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Seems like the Havana Coffee Co.'s sponsorship didn't pan out the way they thought it would.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Looking to get into the tabletop after some convincing by my coworkers and I'm leaning towards Ad Mech. I'd like to take a Stormraven as an Auxiliary Support Detachment due to Ad Mech's lack of transport options and I noticed on the rules for transporting on the Stormraven that it specifically mentions it transporting Chapter Infantry models. Does that mean none of my Ad Mech infantry are allowed to be transported and deploy from the Stormraven and I'd only be taking it as a big shooty flyer?

Mr. Funktastic fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 13, 2017

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Looking to get into the tabletop after some convincing by my coworkers and I'm leaning towards Ad Mech. I'd like to take a Stormraven as an Auxiliary Support Detachment due to Ad Mech's lack of transport options and I noticed on the rules for transporting on the Stormraven that it specifically mentions Chapter Infantry. Does that mean none of my Ad Mech infantry are allowed to be transported and deploy from the Stormraven and I'd only be taking it as a big shooty flyer?

Sadly.

Admech are poo poo out of luck when it comes to transports.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

Artum posted:

Sadly.

Admech are poo poo out of luck when it comes to transports.

drat, looks like my plan to drop Fulgurite Electro Priests on some fool's heads is gonna have to stay a dream. At least they're a good enough shooting army to at least deal with most threats reliably without CC. Maybe Sicarian Infiltrators are a decent enough option to at least distract/tie up some of their ranged units? And on that note, any other noteworthy Imperial auxiliary support detachment options for Admech (1500 pt game)?

Mr. Funktastic fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 13, 2017

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Land_Raider_Excelsior

Where is the info that this can carry Primaris (as can the little dinky Rhino) coming from?

From what I can see these were a Warhammer World exclusive 2 pack back in 2015.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Harkano posted:

Where is the info that this can carry Primaris (as can the little dinky Rhino) coming from?

Nothing I think they just assumed this.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Corrode posted:

The Warseer posts are coming from inside the thread!

So there was this black and white space marine on a black and white bike

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

adamantium|wang posted:

So there was this black and white space marine on a black and white bike

Squad broken

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Harkano posted:

The command Rhino is coincidentally called the Rhino Primaris. That's the source of pretty much any and all confusion on the matter.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Zaphod42 posted:

Could I get a version with the vocals filtered out? :ohdear: The rest sounds good.

Now you know the pain of being a metal fan. Nothing quite like searching for a karaoke version of In Flames or Septic Embalmment or Infant Grinder or whatever.

NORTH-HALL
Jan 15, 2005
"Barney comes to play with us whenever we may need him!"

NORTH-HALL posted:

So if I have 6 killa kans with mega blasters, do I have to roll all hits separately to see who wounds themselves when it overheats?

Gunna repost this now that the infinite music links have stopped.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

NORTH-HALL posted:

Gunna repost this now that the infinite music links have stopped.

They're a squad so the wound transfers to the model that's already wounded.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Actually, I'm pretty sure you do. Same way you can't just roll a bunch of plasma shots together on a Marine squad and then declare "Oh, no the plasma gun blew up, not my sergeant with plasma pistol who also has a power sword!"

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

jng2058 posted:

Actually, I'm pretty sure you do. Same way you can't just roll a bunch of plasma shots together on a Marine squad and then declare "Oh, no the plasma gun blew up, not my sergeant with plasma pistol who also has a power sword!"

In a squad of multi-wound models that take mortal wounds (not model removed), already wounded models take them first, but otherwise you assign them however you want. The Mortal Wound is assigned to the unit, not to a model. It's a very subtle difference.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
But the bearer is slain with plasma, not mortal wounds? :confused:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It depends on the plasma. Plasma Guns, Plasma Incincerators, Combi-Plasma, Plasma Cannons, and Plasma Pistols remove the model. Heavy Plasma Cannons, Leman Russ Plasma Cannons and other vehicle plasma weapons do mortal wounds.

EDIT: fun fact: Heavy Plasma Cannons only actually do 1 Mortal Wound. They're very good on Dreadnoughts.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 13, 2017

NORTH-HALL
Jan 15, 2005
"Barney comes to play with us whenever we may need him!"
For Orky plasma, kustom Mega Blasters, it says "On a hit roll of 1, the bearer suffers a mortal wound" whether on tanks or troops.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Sorry to kind of ignore your post, but is this quality level of terrain/table at stores normal? I see a lot of pictures of people playing on what I would consider low quality tables, and that is one thing when its your own table and you might not have the time or resources to get make something nice, but a store should at the very least have fully painted terrain and something a little nicer than the sad little hill. Maybe I am spoiled because I build a lot of terrain and spend as much time on boards as I do models, but I can't imagine getting excited about putting my models, that I have spent dozens if not hundreds of hours on, on some half assed table like that.

All the shops in my city have have had great terrain, as does the main local club. At the current store half of it is mine from when I ran tournaments and we put a lot of time into making things LoS-blocking etc. and of course it's all fully painted.

I see tons of sad empty boards posted here though so I'm probably spoiled.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
First time painting a loyalist space marine in years. So, many, years. Thoughts/criticism?

Shamefully lifted the colours off an internet image with a few little shifts of my own. Won't lie, painting this one 'LERN2PAINT' guy has me fired up to finish my primaris army.

Also have no idea what to name my chapter as of yet.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Looks good mang. Super clean

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Corrode posted:

Looks good mang. Super clean

Like the color pallet too.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Found a couple of cool dudes while I was reorganising my cases.

The 3rd edition metal captain which for some reason I decided to paint up as a Flesh Tearer:

Inquisitor Coteaz. Grabbed the last metal one at my old store before the transition to Finecast:

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

a cock shaped fruit posted:

First time painting a loyalist space marine in years. So, many, years. Thoughts/criticism?

Shamefully lifted the colours off an internet image with a few little shifts of my own. Won't lie, painting this one 'LERN2PAINT' guy has me fired up to finish my primaris army.

Fuckin rad. Raptors?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

the fighting irish

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Paint the seal on his shoulder red not blue. Otherwise he's ace.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Had my first game as Tau yesterday. Supporting overwatch is great, especially as my opponent only had a few big mobs of Boyz, so I didn't have to make too many decisions about whether to overwatch with some units and not others in case of later charges etc.

We played a Relic game, with some Kroot holding the objective for a round before getting charged and destroyed by a massive squad of Boyz, at which point I just loaded my Fire Warriors into a Devilfish and chased.

The very last combat phase of the entire match resulted in a single Kroot Hound charging his relic-holding warboss and taking his last wound, letting me win the game. It was his last model on the board and only on a 6+ would the game have continued, so chances are I would have lost despite wiping him out to a single model.

Note to self: Actually put your commander down before turn 3 next time. I kept forgetting to deploy him in my excitement to get to my shooting phase... I nearly lost him altogether. :v: his ballistic skill made him do some serious damage when he turned up though, putting down like 8 orks in one turn with 3 Burst Cannons.

Fire warriors are good. I'm aiming to get myself a Pathfinder squad next to get a Pulse drone to boost the range on the pulse rifles, plus a Cadre Fireblade for some extra shots. 3 (or 4?) S5 shots at 18".

Stealth Suits are insanely resilient, especially in cover. -1 to hit and 2+ save. I need more of those, ideally with some Melta-style weapons for tanks.

Kroot hounds are ace for a single power point (or 4pts per model, I think?) 2 attacks, hitting on 3+, with 1 AP and a 12" movement.

If he'd have had trukks or anything with particularly high toughness my list would have failed to do as much damage I imagine, and I basically took volume of shots but nothing much higher than S5, and no multiple damage weapons.

I've seen a lot online about how Tau suck now, but they seem okay to me.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Looks awesome, and yeah it's very much like the Raptors scheme.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

I like me some clean Marines. If I had to critic one thing it would be, many consider another lens color? A yellow, orange, or red could make the eyes pop a bit more, but overall its looking real good.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Orange would look great in there.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Corrode posted:

Found a couple of cool dudes while I was reorganising my cases.

. . .

Inquisitor Coteaz. Grabbed the last metal one at my old store before the transition to Finecast:

This is a great model mate. Coteaz is a classic and the dark scheme really suits him. I've got an unpainted resin one lying around, should really get cracking on it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That marine looks crazy good. The only thing I'd add is that you could blend the highlights by either:

A) mixing the base and highlight colors together and painting it over the "shore" where the colors meet, or
B) mixing the base color with a mate medium and using it to wash the edges of your highlight.

It's a totally optional step and he looks great without any additional work, but something to consider if you're looking for a way to push yourself.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Surprise T Rex posted:

I've seen a lot online about how Tau suck now, but they seem okay to me.

The problem is not particularly that Tau suck, it's just that our good options are like 6-7 units total and you happen to have brought all of them :v:. Commanders, FW, Stealth suits, kroot hounds, brachers in devilfish, drones, longstrike supported hammerheads, and vespid are all good, everything else is kinda pointless since either commanders do them better or just out right are terrible (see skyray). Really people should not be saying that Tau are terrible more that their internal balance is horrific.

R0ckfish fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 13, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Genghis Cohen posted:

This is a great model mate. Coteaz is a classic and the dark scheme really suits him. I've got an unpainted resin one lying around, should really get cracking on it.

Thanks. I should get him on the table at some point but I own nothing else Inquisitorial really.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
On the music point, as a less comedic suggestion - I can't unhear, since the early 2000's, this as the soundtrack of The Black Legion.

Machine Head - Desire to Fire (Oh God I Am Old.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2OhptaI2WQ

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Twitch stream just announced that the Space Marines codex will have rules for the Ultramarines, but also rules for 8 chapters from the Ultima Founding.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Zuul the Cat posted:

Twitch stream just announced that the Space Marines codex will have rules for the Ultramarines, but also rules for 8 chapters from the Ultima Founding.

Did they say that was all? What about the other first/second founding chapters that have characters and poo poo?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

JoshTheStampede posted:

Did they say that was all? What about the other first/second founding chapters that have characters and poo poo?

They didn't say anything about them.

Edit: Streams over. They didn't really announce anything, didn't answer any questions.

Zuul the Cat fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 13, 2017

Hummingbird James
Jan 3, 2013

Zuul the Cat posted:

They uh said First Founding, so basically the same chapters as we've always had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Hummingbird James posted:

They uh said First Founding, so basically the same chapters as we've always had.

First founding vs Ultima founding is a pretty big difference. :)