Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

It's 50% accurate!

Going back to last week's draughting chat really briefly, is there a CAD drawing focused thread on the forums somewhere where I could post one of mine to get a critique that focuses on visual display of information?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
My wife and I have been looking at homes lately. She thought I might like the house in this listing. I just started laughing when I saw this picture:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
How does drop ceiling respond to heat and high humidity?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jesus that looks like the woodchip type ceiling panels?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cheap office park style suspended ceilings have zero business in a residence.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Please tell me that is at least a basement bathroom...

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I know we're all focused on the drop ceiling, but check those sink cabinets. Why the ventilation slits? Afraid your toilet paper might suffocate in there?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
You're all missing something else in that shower...

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

kid sinister posted:

You're all missing something else in that shower...

Going with the giant unsealed bulb next to the removable shower head.

It has to be an extra bathroom added into a basement. Please be that...

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

HycoCam posted:

Ding ding ding! There's actually code about sealed lights located in shower stalls.

There's one more thing required on bathroom ceilings that might be barely in frame...

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Oh yeah, I just remembered the other house she found, with some questionable design choices:

You got the ugly tin sheets with I don't know what those are in the door and window corners. Gussets?

And now onto the bathrooms:

I can't even place what time period those countertops are from.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The total lack of any shower curtain is nice too.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

kid sinister posted:

HIS *teal, sharp angular pattern etched in mirror, plain tiles*

HERS *pink, gentler curving pattern in mirror, fancy tiles*

At least I'm assuming that's the batshit logic behind those countertop choices.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Baronjutter posted:

The total lack of any shower curtain is nice too.

Those tend to always be removed prior to sale as the old one is always nasty as hell.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

kid sinister posted:

My wife and I have been looking at homes lately. She thought I might like the house in this listing. I just started laughing when I saw this picture:

I've seen a bulb like that explode when water hit it

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

About as well as you'd think puffed paper would hold up to water.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

That was one rad house back in the late 70's/early 80's. If you ever watched Easy Money--the red bathroom tells you everything. The cabinet is mounted that high to keep the kids from finding the drugs on the top shelf. :) At least the floors have been redone. I image it was some thick shag back in the day.

But what I found kind of curious the kick plate for the central vac and the nu-tone intercom system. What are the schools and surrounding neighborhood like? Depending on your budget and penchant for remodeling--that house might be a steal. Not knowing your market these are total PFA numbers--but if the neighborhood and schools are amazing and homes in the area are selling for say $300K and you could get the home for less than $150K. Turn around and drop another $120K ($60K kitchen, $20K each bath, and $20K in floors/paint)--and in four to six months you could have a house that isn't so dated.

Any way of checking the Days on Market? How is the home priced compared to others in the neighborhood? A couple of really big assumption--the previous owners lived in the house a LONG time and by now--I'd think the initial mortgage has been paid. And if the original owners are gone--who owns the house now? The kids? An executor trying to liquidate? Could be the perfect situation where the sellers are desperate for any offer. Just food for thought.

Oh and looks like there IS a vent in that "gotta be a basement" bath.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Depends on which tiles you use. There are tiles made specifically for high humidity applications. Armstrong's line is called Humiguard. There are even bathroom lights and vents made just for drop ceilings.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

HycoCam posted:

I wish I had pictures of my old place's basement. It had a cinder block wall shower that had been hacked in from a floor drain and mop sink faucet, with the shadiest possible romex fed socket with a sealed-bulb outdoor post light bulb in it as the only shower in the place.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

kid sinister posted:

Not seeing a light, but I am seeing a plumbing trap with a poorly cut notch in a ceiling tile to give it room.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
What on earth is that white thing stuck under the cabinet? A radio?

Wish I'd saved the photo of some cheap rental I saw where the little kitchen area has a oven vent hood dedicated for a tiny toaster oven that comes with the place.

And to make it even weirder there was no space for an oven under it. Continuous countertop.
Or they expected people to buy hotplates to put on the counter.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

WebDog posted:

An alarm clock radio, possibly with CD player. Never seen one in the wild but they've been available in that configuration since the nineties at least.

e: Well there have been slight changes of course:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

kid sinister posted:

Probably a fortune in stroke mags up there. Maybe even some cash &/or a firearm!

kid sinister posted:

Oh yeah, I just remembered the other house she found, with some questionable design choices:

2004 Home Depot return cart.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

kid sinister posted:

1980's. The weird part is they didn't bring the rest of the bathroom with them. That shower should be the same fake-marble plastic as the sinks and the toilet needs a shag rug on the seat.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Jerry Cotton posted:

An alarm clock radio, possibly with CD player. Never seen one in the wild but they've been available in that configuration since the nineties at least.

I have one in my home that the previous owners installed. I left it because if I remove it, then I have four holes in the bottom of that cabinet. I use it from time to time if I'm in the kitchen. Just radio and CD, I don't think it has a connection for an mp3 player or phone. It's at least out of the way, so it doesn't really bug me at all.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Jerry Cotton posted:

They also make them with little flip down LCD tvs

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

As a product I think it makes perfect sense because why wouldn't you want to listen to something or watch TV while cooking and you want all the available counter space for, you know, the cooking. Then again a lot of them were really ugly.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

`Nemesis posted:

Not seeing a light, but I am seeing a plumbing trap with a poorly cut notch in a ceiling tile to give it room.

Hahaha I think you're right! Wow.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lime Tonics posted:

just a little off.

I'm the missing bark on the tree from people scraping by to get in the gate

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

WebDog posted:

My parents had one in the early 90's with a tape deck.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Synthbuttrange posted:

https://twitter.com/tinselt0wn/status/847610299184168960

Looks really nice to drive past when it was really going.

Four months ago, but how is it that this song is always playing during videos like this?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Four months ago, but how is it that this song is always playing during videos like this?

Because people replace the actual audio from the video with the same audio, to be funny.

Here's a Youtube playlist full of them.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Because people replace the actual audio from the video with the same audio, to be funny.

At least that makes me feel better about going/not going insane.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The Bloop posted:

I'm the missing bark on the tree from people scraping by to get in the gate

When you have the money for a brick paved driveway, brick wall, and metal gate, but not enough to remove a tree.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

When you have the money for a brick paved driveway, brick wall, and metal gate, but not enough to remove a tree.

Why wouldn't you build the gate further over?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It fills me with such joy that you dug up a four month old post to let everyone know how dumb you are.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

WebDog posted:

For the complete 90s set, install a small CRT TV somewhere in the kitchen too.

quote:

I can't get over how aggressively non-coordinated that is. At least try to match the wood or something! Why are there two kinds of lights? Why doesn't the fan match anything else either?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Because everything in that kitchen is of the "This was on sale at Home Depot" collection.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Lost it at the Hindenburg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Haifisch posted:

For the complete 90s set, install a small CRT TV somewhere in the kitchen too.

I can't get over how aggressively non-coordinated that is. At least try to match the wood or something! Why are there two kinds of lights? Why doesn't the fan match anything else either?

I think the color of the cabinets plus the counter are OK. The walls being a textured red backsplash just does not work at all, and isn't even where it needs to be.

The ceiling fan is in a place where no one will be unless they are walking through the room.

The island that doesn't match a drat thing in the kitchen is the most glaring thing. Also, the orphan cabinet.