Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Weird, I've spent quite a few bike's lives trying to land on boats at max speed and I haven't died once

Did you stay on the bike? I'm pretty sure if I didn't jump off it I'd be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

fletcher posted:

There was an excellent video on PUBG parachute mechanics I saw on reddit a few weeks ago, can't seem to find it now though

That would be neat, getting beaten to the punch and shot by fools who refuse to have some punching fun over and over is harsh.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So for two games straight I was able to come across the auto pistol and that thing in close quarters with an Ex Mag is a beauty to behold and just spray fools with. Even better when you have a suppressor attached to it. I'm finding that when I play solo I enjoy kinda hanging behind most people building up my arsenal and sniping when possible while trying to maintain the balance of staying ahead of the bubble or having the good luck in staying inside the circle at least two times over so I don't feel that pressured to move around much. Water Town is slowly becoming my favorite town.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Elentor posted:

It's nice to tell people to get good like grimmz and all but most people are never gonna get that good, and even if you're so bad you can only win 10% of the duels having a strat that will get you to the top 5 reliably means you have a much higher chance of winning a game than playing with no strategy and just dying to the people with "faster reaction time and better aim" all the time.

People go over these wild machinations because what else do you expect? "Aim faster" is not useful, everyone knows they suck already. They know it every time they miss a spray and die. Having a good strategy can carry you a long way in this game.

If your goal is to get wins, then improving your aim is necessary in order to win end game 1v1s. In order to improve your aim you need to practice by getting in lots of battles. Paradoxically if you just camp and get top 5 every game, but never win cause your aim sucks, then your rating will keep going up and making it even less likely for you to win because the players you meet in the end game will keep getting better. This is why I think actually winning games should count much more to your rating then just getting a high placement.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Jiro posted:

So for two games straight I was able to come across the auto pistol and that thing in close quarters with an Ex Mag is a beauty to behold and just spray fools with. Even better when you have a suppressor attached to it. I'm finding that when I play solo I enjoy kinda hanging behind most people building up my arsenal and sniping when possible while trying to maintain the balance of staying ahead of the bubble or having the good luck in staying inside the circle at least two times over so I don't feel that pressured to move around much. Water Town is slowly becoming my favorite town.

I try to face danger as much as I can, but playing some solo games slow as molasses is kind of relaxing at times. Either hang back and hug the zone, or find a quiet house in the middle and hang around. Shouldn't make a habit of it though.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

qkkl posted:

If your goal is to get wins, then improving your aim is necessary in order to win end game 1v1s. In order to improve your aim you need to practice by getting in lots of battles.

Yes I agree, but everyone knows that and the people who don't know that can be taught that in a single sentence like the one you just said. That's not a lot of content to discuss. Of course the bulk of the actual content discussed in the thread is going to be strategy, it's either that or inventory space.

qkkl posted:

. Paradoxically if you just camp and get top 5 every game, but never win cause your aim sucks, then your rating will keep going up and making it even less likely for you to win because the players you meet in the end game will keep getting better. This is why I think actually winning games should count much more to your rating then just getting a high placement.

If this is any consolation to you at some point getting just to top 10% starts to yield point loss and you need to get to top 5% or less to break even.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mistle posted:

They made the network connection defer to server side updates, so lag switching might get you across a field fine, but if you do it to avoid getting shot, you'll still get shot.

also they put in that network lag detected freeze specifically to combat lag switches

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Did you stay on the bike? I'm pretty sure if I didn't jump off it I'd be fine.

Oh well yea, definitely stay on it. You can land almost anything on land too as long as you hit with both wheels on the ground at the same time and let go of the throttle while in the air until landing. Learn the forward and backwards air controls, ignore the others.

Go max speed always because it takes forever to run out of gas and try and drive up cliffs onto houses it's really fun. You can do backflips really easily by holding space if you're going high enough

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Black Griffon posted:

I try to face danger as much as I can, but playing some solo games slow as molasses is kind of relaxing at times. Either hang back and hug the zone, or find a quiet house in the middle and hang around. Shouldn't make a habit of it though.

I'm still new to this game I really only get gung ho when I'm in duos or squads, safety in numbers, and I really enjoy playing the patient sniper probably to my detriment sooner than later. And it definitely is relaxing especially since there's no over land music playing and you sometimes hear pops in the distance. Weirdly nice.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Is there really a difference between the vert and angled grips? I know one is supposed to help with horizontal and one with vertical recoil, but I've never noticed much change.

Yes. Someone posted a photo of bullet holes with each. Horizontal makes it travel in a horizontal line (obviously) for the most part. Vertical recoil is more condensed but more sporadic. After see the photo and watching a few videos I feel like vertical is slightly better if you get the choice.

The change between them doesn't seem different enough to seek out one or the other. Both help immensely compared to not having one of course. IMO Horizontal seems to be better for long range, but you aren't gimping yourself by equipping one or the other - just make sure you get one.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I don't think about my hands too much. Just trying to hit the ball in the air. Hit the ball in the air!

96 spacejam posted:

Yes. Someone posted a photo of bullet holes with each. Horizontal makes it travel in a horizontal line (obviously) for the most part. Vertical recoil is more condensed but more sporadic. After see the photo and watching a few videos I feel like vertical is slightly better if you get the choice.

The change between them doesn't seem different enough to seek out one or the other. Both help immensely compared to not having one of course. IMO Horizontal seems to be better for long range, but you aren't gimping yourself by equipping one or the other - just make sure you get one.

As I've heard it, recoil isn't entirely deterministic so emptying one clip at a wall won't tell you much.

FWIW the stats data mined from the game (see pubg.me) contradict the in game descriptions.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

goon + beer = bad: https://www.twitch.tv/thepeavstenator

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

OdinsBeard posted:

As I've heard it, recoil isn't entirely deterministic so emptying one clip at a wall won't tell you much.

FWIW the stats data mined from the game (see pubg.me) contradict the in game descriptions.

Probably also depends on the guns. I can't remember the gun he was using but it was fully modded.

But yeah, just looked through a bunch of threads of Reddit regarding the issue and the consensus from people that seemingly know what they're talking about is that recoil is unpredictable, unlike CS:GO or other pew pew games.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

96 spacejam posted:

Probably also depends on the guns. I can't remember the gun he was using but it was fully modded.

But yeah, just looked through a bunch of threads of Reddit regarding the issue and the consensus from people that seemingly know what they're talking about is that recoil is unpredictable, unlike CS:GO or other pew pew games.

good

practicing recoil patterns would be supremo unfun

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
chuting to the school owns. i got 2 punch kills and a pistol kill and then died to another guy with a pistol all before coming off the roof

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
also the biggest play in the world is to punch someone until you are almost dead of being punched then go prone and crawl around until someone kills the idiot walking after you trying to punch the ground

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

These last minutes of the game get tense as gently caress.

I deserved to get my head blown off a few times there but luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUX-U6EqsfI

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Can enemies hear the really loud sound of revolver rounds hitting the ground when you're reloading?

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

"lets go" grosses me out. and so does "gah dayum" said witheringly. I thought it was just a grimmz thing but this anthony fella has the cancer too.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 13, 2017

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

qkkl posted:

Can enemies hear the really loud sound of revolver rounds hitting the ground when you're reloading?

I've heard it (and shotty shells) but only when I'm super close to someone, the only time I can remember it clearly was a teammate in the same room as me.

ngreasy
Aug 1, 2007
laksjdfkljle
People can hear you reloading and the shotgun/revolver shells tinkling but only at a distance of ~2 meters or so per some youtube shithead

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

We kept getting into car battles and dismounting to finish the fights and then taking the enemy car in a squad game tonight. I ended up with 14 kills and the win, and this little gem of a clip.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/158750385

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

VulgarandStupid posted:

We kept getting into car battles and dismounting to finish the fights and then taking the enemy car in a squad game tonight. I ended up with 14 kills and the win, and this little gem of a clip.

lmao

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

VulgarandStupid posted:

Glorious.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I got my first roadkill today and I got it by brutally crushing a guy between a rock and a dacia and it owned

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Parachute tips:

First, figure out where you're going before you jump, and mark it.

Once ejected, use the compass to instantly point that way and click W. There's two bars on your height meter on the left: The full bar (the gray bar) and the smaller parachute bar (the white bar).

There's three distances to consider: Close (less than 1 km ish), medium (1-2 km) and far (2+ km)

If you're going somewhere close, use the wing of the plane to make sure you drop so your path is perpendicular to the path of the plane, so you minimize flight distance. Fly with the camera horizontal enough that you drop at 126 km/h until you are about 300m out from your target building, then look straight down. If you turn from horizon to straight down with about 300-350 meters to go to your target building, you should slowly lose all forward momentum and start going straight down with about 150 meters to your target building, which is ideal. You need to start looking straight down no later than just after half way through the full, gray bar. You still hold down W at this point. No other buttons need to be touched.

Once you get to the top of the white bar, your parachute will start to open. You need to hit 234 km/h to do a correct close drop. 233 won't do. Here's the important part of a close drop, that most people gently caress up: As soon as the parachute starts to open, let go of your W key. This will allow you to preserve some downward momentum even though your parachute is open, and you will notice that your downward speed will reduce over a few seconds from about 130 km/h and down. Don't touch your W key until your downward speed is down to around 70 km/h, at which point you look down and hold W again. If you are very close to your target, circle down for slightly more downward momentum. This is not super important. The actual big difference between good and bad close drops is whether or not people let go of W when the chute opens. Again, good players let go of W when the chute opens, assuming they managed to hit 234.

If you're going somewhere medium, fly horizontally until you're about 500 meters out from your target, then look down for the last remaining bit before the parachute opens. Once it opens, hold down W and fly directly to your target. Tap W instead of holding it to get further distance with the parachute if you're otherwise going to be short. This will delay your landing, so only do it if you're going to be short.

If you're going somewhere far, you're usually best off flying horizontally towards the target, holding down W the whole time after your parachute opens and making sure your chute opens over or near a road, so you can look for a vehicle. Opening your parachute early to fly far is usually a trap. Someone will get a vehicle and beat you to it.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

A silenced/Exmags/extended stock micro uzi is definitely the best gun in the game

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

My friend just bought the game and got a win in his first game ever, in squads with me +2.

A win where he killed 0 and the only shots he landed was when he downed a teammate on accident.

I don't think he's proud of it.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
This chicken dinner... is ashes

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Perfect in every way.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
Drive across bridge from military to main island,

get past camper,

jump off death cycle

Empty 9mm pistol at him and miss

Headshot him with pan as he comes around overturned van

Steal his suppressors and scopes

goty

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Got top 3 and died to the circle cause I'm bad at this game. I knew the second I stood up to run I'll get shot or try and crawl to the circle. Thought maybe I'll make it, had full health and full boosted but no luck.

I need to pay attention more to the final circles before they close in.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Justin Credible posted:

Cool, now just to be able to find something other than smoke grenades and melee weapons while people nearby immediately pick up VSSs that weren't even on the roofs!
Don't underestimate Smoke. Even indoors it can be a good tool.
A buddy of mine got trapped on the second floor of a building with a smoke and a .45 pistol. The two guys at the bottom had a shotty and pistol. He was content to just hide in the corner and wait for them to storm up and shoot him. I convinced him to toss the smoke down the stairs, wait for it to bloom out, then jump of the balcony and storm in from the back door as they're watching the stairs like goobers waiting for him to run down.
He managed to down both of them (Then a third guy rocked up as he was looting them, RIP).

Fart Car '97 posted:

A silenced/Exmags/extended stock micro uzi is definitely the best gun in the game
I loving love a pimped out Micro Uzi. As long as the whole match isn't in open fields you can even bumrush Lvl 3 armoured guys with it.

Dunno what rank I'm at but smoking a building in general tends to make people huddle in the corner of the room/stairs for whatever reason. Makes it piss easy to rush the room.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
https://twitter.com/BattleRoyaleMod/status/885446512825647107

Finally I can stop playing with all these bad players who abuse 3rd person

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjTKdQ5JPSU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Last night a guy beat me to my drop site by like 10 seconds and looted all the guns. He chased me around but couldn't aim for poo poo (even worse than me). Got behind him for the superman punch headshot kill

confirmed goty

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

thegoat posted:

Is there a reason to ever be in 1st person on a regular server? Pretty much all the videos I see are in 3rd so I assume not.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

thegoat posted:

WIll third person be available still? First person only doesn't appeal to me that much

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

fknlo posted:

Is there a reason to ever be in 1st person on a regular server? Pretty much all the videos I see are in 3rd so I assume not.

ADS, focusing on a specific area in the distance, and that's pretty much it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

underage at the vape shop posted:

WIll third person be available still? First person only doesn't appeal to me that much

It's in addition to the existing game modes.

• Locked thread