Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
Rats can go downhill so very quickly. It can be a blessing in disguise, but I know what the feeling is like.

The fact you kept them warm and looked after them overnight, plus the immediate vets visit, gives them the best possible chance.

You've done all you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Introductions went just terribly

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Aww. That's a good cuddle puddle. :3:

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

These are all some very cute ratties and I want to give them all tummy smooches.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

There's no better place to smooch a rat.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'd smooch those rats like a corncob. While rotating them 360 degrees.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I meant to post days ago, but our rats are alive and well! they both went through two weeks of treatment and they're extremely active and playful now. :kimchi: they wrestle and climb everything in the cage and they seem to have a lot of fun.

they've figured out two of the three ramps in the cage, but they don't seem to like the one separating the two levels yet. just a matter of time, I assume.

they run up to the front of the cage whenever we walk by for a sniff, it's so cute aaaaa

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm jealous of this rat. This rat knows how to live it's life properly.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hey, fellow rat!goons, I'm gonna be taking a break from this thread as I had to put down my last rat, Hamilton, today (2 years). It's it's been pretty ahrd; he was my lil' miracle rattie (shortly after I brought him home, I came home from work and found he had a huge strip of flesh hanging off his stomach/side. I swiftly got him into our vet and since then he's been my wonderful lil' food-obsessed baby.) Gonna miss hik so much.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

You have my condolences; it really sucks when you have to say goodbye. :(

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
this site doesn't deserve my cute pet pics

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Feb 24, 2019

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

dovetaile posted:

Hey, fellow rat!goons, I'm gonna be taking a break from this thread as I had to put down my last rat, Hamilton, today (2 years). It's it's been pretty ahrd; he was my lil' miracle rattie (shortly after I brought him home, I came home from work and found he had a huge strip of flesh hanging off his stomach/side. I swiftly got him into our vet and since then he's been my wonderful lil' food-obsessed baby.) Gonna miss hik so much.
sometimes I feel like this thread is the forum equivalent of people you only meet at weddings and funerals - new rats, dead rats and not long enough in between. Sorry for your loss, it's always hard.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

*X-Files theme plays*

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Smaslug is very old and very loveable

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Good fatty. :3:

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Precious lil' pawsies. :3: (Uugh, i can't stay away for too long. Thank you all for the condolences and that adorable video one of you posted. :glomp:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Looks about right.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

they have popsicle sticks, two kinds of store-bought wood chews, plenty of crunchy oxbow, antler pieces, cardboard and paper, and they still like to gnaw the cage bars. :mad:

they took to the whole two-level-cage deal really quickly after we got them back from the vet. twice as much space to poop in! they're not so small anymore and they dart up and down the ramps (and the sides of the cage...) in an impressive way. I'm so proud of them.

it's cool seeing how they balance with their tails and everything when they climb, but I get so worried they're gonna fall and hurt themselves. I have to get more rope toys to make sturdier rope bridges for them.

e: I notice most of the bar-chewing happens when we're around the cage. they come up to us around every side and level of the cage, respond to light tapping if I want them to go up to a certain spot, etc., and they like to grab and lick our fingers. we have the cage in a place where there aren't things within ratty reach, but I do give them paper/fabric/toilet paper/etc. through the bars sometimes because they yoink it from my hands and stash it, and dart back for more.

but, for example, I turned on the light and went to check on them because something made a loud noise, and they ran up to me and started climbing and gnawing the bars. do they want attention? do they want out of the cage for a while? any time we open the doors, they come running (no matter where they were or what they were doing) and crawl all over us and sometimes it's hard to get them to calm down and stay in, especially at night. I don't know if I'm not giving them enough attention or free time, though they do stop chewing and freaking out once we're away from the cage.

I haven't rat-proofed our room or another spot for free-ranged floor time yet; we've been putting a blanket on our bed with some boxes and tubes (sometimes a shallow container of water and peas, sometimes other snacks) for their outside-the-cage time, with a long cardboard tube going from the cage to the bed where they run back and forth freely, and usually go back and stay in the cage when they're done. they get to choose when they're finished with that and I think that's cool and good.

I would love for free-range floor time to be in the same room so they can go back to the cage when they want, as well, but I don't know how easy it'll be to rat-proof everything that needs it.

snoo fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 17, 2017

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
This seems like a good time to ask: what does it take to rat - proof a room's floor, other than the obvious 'no live wires'?

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

You basically just don't want any nooks and crannies that you can't, yourself, reach into when play time is over. Though even that can be okay once you've got them to a point where they'll come to you when called. I find that if you give them a treat whenever you put them back into the cage, they'll fight you less on this point.

Also, don't leave anything both expensive and chewable lying around.

Regarding live wires (:siren: ANECDOTAL EXPERIENCE INCOMING :siren:) I don't really find that to be a big problem as long as you're supervising. I've had a lot of rats over the years and none have ever been interested in chewing live wires. Stereo wires and phone cables are a different matter - these aren't dangerous, but they seem to be fun to chew, so try to keep these out of reach.

The Snoo posted:

do they want attention? do they want out of the cage for a while?

Bar chewing is usually a sign of boredom - so yeah, they want attention. This doesn't necessarily mean that you're not giving them enough attention (most rats get along fine with one hour of playtime each day, preferably in a free range area they can explore), it may be that they just really like you.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

we've been doing a good hour of free range, ~30 minutes twice a day (morning and evening); I'm planning on blocking off some spots in the bedroom so they can free range on the floor with the tube that allows them to go back home whenever they want. hopefully I'll have that ready this evening.

the most 'dangerous' things are some gaps beside my desk, and a lot of cables and wires around our desks as well. I'm going to use some cardboard and packing tape to block off the desk gaps and make sure everything on the low shelves is secure/in boxes/etc.

I obviously don't see what they're doing 24/7 but it seems like they only chew the bar when we're saying hello through the cage. they get real excited and climb up the bars and grab our hands :lol:

foster and smith have a :siren: free shipping w/ no minimum :siren: promo today, so I'm gonna get a second water bottle and some extra wood chews to make things out of.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Well, Myia passed sometime this morning. My best guess is heart attack - she was stretched out in her "I want pets" pose. I'd like to say it was painless, but the fact is she had a lot of porphyrin discharge in her eyes so I only hope it was relatively quick. She seemed perfectly fine last night when I had her out to play.

Myia was a very special rat to me. Unlike most females, she was usually much more interested in cuddles than she was in exploring. Her favourite place to snack was on my lap. She was clever and affectionate and wonderful, and I'm really going to miss her.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh my god! Those are the cutest rats. :3:
I cannot even.

Same photographer:

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Who are these rats who don't poop in terror every time they think I might put them in water

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.

Falstaff posted:

Well, Myia passed sometime this morning. My best guess is heart attack - she was stretched out in her "I want pets" pose. I'd like to say it was painless, but the fact is she had a lot of porphyrin discharge in her eyes so I only hope it was relatively quick. She seemed perfectly fine last night when I had her out to play.

Myia was a very special rat to me. Unlike most females, she was usually much more interested in cuddles than she was in exploring. Her favourite place to snack was on my lap. She was clever and affectionate and wonderful, and I'm really going to miss her.

Sorry for your loss. Cuddly rats are the best.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Crossposting from the AliExpress thread, some people got a kick out of how my endoscope test footage turned my cute ratties into a horror show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tpTrshLFOI

I like that big fat rat nose at the start.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Harry and Lloyd are impossible to photograph because at least one of them always shoves his nose into the camera. Even very tiny cameras.

I hope that you aren't missing a good opportunity to boop that snoot.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

:3:

quick question: I had some shell-less bird seed and a bunch of it fell into some pots/containers on our balcony, and started growing. afaik the two seeds that grew were millet (red or white, I'm not sure) and 'canary seed'. I've read that rats can eat the millet sprigs that you might get for birds, and that they eat the seed sometimes if it's in their food mix, but is the grassy part safe for them to eat?

I've seen people do dig boxes with bird seed like this and I would assume that it's okay, but I want to be sure. my googling is not bringing up much.

(our rats have the oxbow triangles and I supplement w/ vegetables several times a week, and other stuff like dry pasta, chicken, egg, or sometimes fruit and treats. I have a shitload of bird seed and if it's safe for them to have occasionally, then I'd like to be able to make use of it! and it looks nice when it grows. I also still want to grow dandelions for both me and the rats to eat.)

snoo fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 12, 2017

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Rats can eat bird seeds and it's fine, so you should be good there. I read once that rats don't do so great with high oxalic acid foods, so you might want to avoid the dandelions, but to be honest I can't recall where I read that and I'm having trouble finding a cite, so that might just be bullshit.

Fruits and veggies are always good, it sounds like you've got a very balanced diet for your rats.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

:thunk: well, I'd personally be eating the 'younger' leaves which seem to be lower in oxalic acid, and also taste better. I'll be feeding it sparingly in any case. I purchased some dandelion seeds recently, and I'm considering using my old 10 gallon aquarium as a dig box planter for the bird seeds.

this is one of the few things I found about oxalates, specifically regarding spinach, since I remembered that I haven't been feeding spinach because I read that it wasn't as good for them as some other greens. they really love kale, which is awesome, and I can hang stuff like that in their cage as an extra challenge. I kinda rotate what I give them. :) the mint at my parents' place is doing well and I gave them some of that, which they enjoyed and it made them smell really nice, and I yoinked a few pieces with roots to grow here for them (and me!).

we use puffed rice as a treat for training them to respond to a click-calling noise at the moment. and I was surprised at how they demolished cooked chicken bones! I'm so happy they're healthy and doing well. they're in a healthy weight range, and watching them hop around, wrestle, and climb everything is so precious! aaaaaaa

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Snoo posted:

:thunk: well, I'd personally be eating the 'younger' leaves which seem to be lower in oxalic acid, and also taste better. I'll be feeding it sparingly in any case. I purchased some dandelion seeds recently, and I'm considering using my old 10 gallon aquarium as a dig box planter for the bird seeds.

this is one of the few things I found about oxalates, specifically regarding spinach, since I remembered that I haven't been feeding spinach because I read that it wasn't as good for them as some other greens. they really love kale, which is awesome, and I can hang stuff like that in their cage as an extra challenge. I kinda rotate what I give them. :) the mint at my parents' place is doing well and I gave them some of that, which they enjoyed and it made them smell really nice, and I yoinked a few pieces with roots to grow here for them (and me!).

we use puffed rice as a treat for training them to respond to a click-calling noise at the moment. and I was surprised at how they demolished cooked chicken bones! I'm so happy they're healthy and doing well. they're in a healthy weight range, and watching them hop around, wrestle, and climb everything is so precious! aaaaaaa

Oh man, one of the things I loved giving my boys was cooked chicken bones. They loved them too and i loved showing up the completely devoured smooth bone after they were done.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

1 like = 1 prayer for an elderly Smaslug as she spends a few nights at the vet

good rats and nose grabbing will come to you only if you comment "thank mrs smaslug"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
thank mrs smaslag (and a :glomp: for you as well)