Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Is there something I need to do to make an ExFAT disk work with Windows 10? I formated a USB drive as ExFAT/GUID Partition Map but Windows 10 said it needed to be erased.

It works fine on every Mac I tested it with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wdarkk posted:

Is there something I need to do to make an ExFAT disk work with Windows 10? I formated a USB drive as ExFAT/GUID Partition Map but Windows 10 said it needed to be erased.

It works fine on every Mac I tested it with.

Don't use GUID. Use MBR if you want to use it with Windows.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH22240?locale=en_US

quote:

• GUID Partition Map: Used for all Intel-based Mac computers.
  • Master Boot Record: Used for Windows partitions that will be formatted as MS-DOS (FAT) or ExFAT.
  • Apple Partition Map: Used for compatibility with older PowerPC-based Mac computers.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

BobHoward posted:

TBH why are you cloning it at all? You just got the computer, there's probably nothing on it but the previous owner's stuff, you could just install the SSD and start over from scratch. That's what I'd prefer to do anyways to avoid potential leftover malware or other jank.

Your procedure for starting over could look like:

1. wipe the SSD while it's still in your windows machine - ATA secure erase if you've got a utility that'll do that, otherwise make sure the partition table is wiped since I don't think you want anything present

2. install SSD in mini

3. boot mini, follow instructions

Some time later (how long depends on your internet connection) your mini will boot an OS that is exactly the same one that was originally on it when the original owner took it out of its original box. You will then need to update the OS to current.

Another procedure for starting over which probably reduces total download time:

1. go to Mac App Store, download latest macOS

2. instead of letting the installer run when it's done downloading, grab an 8GB or larger thumbdrive and follow this guide to make a bootable installer:

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-make-a-bootable-macos-sierra-usb-flash-drive-1786853248

3. install blank SSD in mini, boot installer, let it guide you (the instructions might not cover using Disk Utility to format the drive, but if so you'll do that from one of the menus in the installer, and you'll want it to be a GPT partition table and HFS+ filesystem)

It got wiped beforehand, and I foolishly decided to just start using it and got a load of busywork out of the way that I didn't necessarily care to repeat. Which was probably for the best considering I forgot that I had pretty much none of the screwdrivers necessary to actually open the thing so I just used it for a few days while I sourced them. Ended up just cloning the drive to a 3tb external that I had previously backed up to my NAS, swapping the drive out, booting from the external then cloning it back to the new drive. Not the most elegant solution but hey, it was free and I didn't have to hack open the external or go through OSX setup. Thanks for the tips tho :)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Proteus Jones posted:

Don't use GUID. Use MBR if you want to use it with Windows.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH22240?locale=en_US

Hmm. You can format in Windows using GUID and exFAT and it works fine. I swear I remember doing it the other way around and having it work too.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are beta and dev builds of the OS date coded? I'm not talking about the date they were released but the actual build date? Just curious how far they lag behind.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Sigh, so my department is losing their poo poo because I spent a few grand and bought JAMF, they think we should just use AIRWATCH to manage MacOS instead. They don't seem to think there's much difference between the two. Our AirWatch is admin'd by someone who thought enabling the root account on all of our Macs, and using the same password for them all, was a sound policy to resolve an issue. Some days.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Is it possible for Time Machine to overwrite old backups by itself or do I really have to manually delete the old backup every time? I run Time Machine to back up once every few months because it takes like 3 hours to crate the Time Machine backup this way.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

von Braun posted:

Is it possible for Time Machine to overwrite old backups by itself or do I really have to manually delete the old backup every time? I run Time Machine to back up once every few months because it takes like 3 hours to crate the Time Machine backup this way.

I thought it automatically deleted the oldest backups when disk space ran low?

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Theophany posted:

I thought it automatically deleted the oldest backups when disk space ran low?

I don't know, it says the TM partition is low on space (my macbook is 128GB) and I have to manually go into Time Machine to delete the old one. Been doing it this way for 4-5 years. There must be a better way. it's getting annoying and takes so much time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That's definitely not how it's supposed to work. Mine's been deleting the old backups for two years.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The whole point is it's supposed to be seamless and invisible. Otherwise nobody would bother doing backups.

It's supposed to be "set up once, never think about it again".

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

von Braun posted:

I don't know, it says the TM partition is low on space (my macbook is 128GB) and I have to manually go into Time Machine to delete the old one. Been doing it this way for 4-5 years. There must be a better way. it's getting annoying and takes so much time.

Wait a sec, are the low space notifications coming from TM itself or are they just general system notifications? If it's the latter I'd just ignore them and let TM do it's thing. If it's working properly it'll delete the oldest backups when it has to. If it is working as it is supposed to, there's probably a way to switch off disk space notifications for your TM partition.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Theophany posted:

Wait a sec, are the low space notifications coming from TM itself or are they just general system notifications? If it's the latter I'd just ignore them and let TM do it's thing. If it's working properly it'll delete the oldest backups when it has to. If it is working as it is supposed to, there's probably a way to switch off disk space notifications for your TM partition.

Hm, ok. I will look that up when I get home. It's been 4 months since my last backup so I don't remember/haven't thought about it if it was the system or TM itself complaining.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, you'll get low disk space warnings at some point no matter what as your TM backups get larger and larger, but it will delete the oldest ones.

Or at least I think it will. I'm not in front of a Mac, but check your Time Machine options to make sure it's not a checkbox you have to fill.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
10.13 definitely has a "Notify after old backups are deleted" option in TM preferences.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
I plugged my harddrive in and let it run. It created a a new backup and didn't complain. Guess it works? The backup is 56GB and I have 89GB for the TM partition.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Why is Cmd+X (cut) eternally visible-but-grayed-out in the Edit menu? I know the "accepted" way to cut-paste folders and files is to Cmd+C then Cmd+Alt+V but I can't find any reason for why the command is disabled in the first place.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wait, does cmd-opt V delete the original too? As in, a replacement for Ctrl X/Ctrl V? If so, how have I missed this for 10 years?!

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Wait, does cmd-opt V delete the original too? As in, a replacement for Ctrl X/Ctrl V? If so, how have I missed this for 10 years?!
Yeah, Cmd+Opt+V will actually move the file instead of just making a copy of it. How were you accomplishing this before today? :gonk:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Always having the source and destination folders visible at all times like the spatial finder intended, peace be upon Siracusa

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Spring folders and mashing modifiers until the plus sign goes away :v:

I don't know that it's exactly the reason why, but "Cut" is a text command, and the entirety of Finder works like a text field, more or less. For instance, the japanese IME won't let you use the keyboard shortcuts to switch between text input modes except in a text field, (such as an address bar, or the body of a text editor); however it will do so if Finder is the frontmost application. Also, if it didn't, you wouldn't be able to jump to files in whatever's the frontmost Finder window by typing the name. However, as far as Finder is concerned, Cut is a text operation, so it won't be active unless you're renaming a file.

Presumably part of it is also for continuity — it's expected that under Edit there will be Cut/Copy/Paste, unlike in the context menu, which is more variable. So it stays there, even though Finder won't let you perform a Cut action on a file itself. Same reason Paste is still there, even if whatever you have in your pasteboard isn't able to be pasted there.

Now that I think about it, I think the second bit's the more compelling reason.

Also if we're talking about cool well-hidden poo poo, you can still drag selected text out of a window and to any finder window to create a text clipping. It's like quicklook, but better! Or like Stickies, but without having to remember that Stickies still exist.
f.e.: also the desktop is a finder window, you can cmd+` to it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

IAmKale posted:

Yeah, Cmd+Opt+V will actually move the file instead of just making a copy of it. How were you accomplishing this before today? :gonk:

Usually stuff would be on the same drive, so dragging to a Finder tab is fine. But now I'm running multiple drives and copying more between them, it was definitely something I was going to be googling soon because I knew it had to exist. Thanks!

I do love Opt key modifiers, they're always fun.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Zenostein posted:

I don't know that it's exactly the reason why, but "Cut" is a text command, and the entirety of Finder works like a text field, more or less.
Interesting. Is this a pattern from the NeXT days, like the way OSX handles windows as "pages" in an application that's always open (versus each window being an independent instance of an application a la Windows)?

OSX Sierra (well, whatever came just before it) is my first real exposure to Macs as an everyday driver so I don't know a whole lot about the evolution of the OS. Idiosyncracies like what you posted are super interesting.

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 14, 2017

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
The options return to an active non-greyed-out state when you're in a text field of some kind. That is, the search, renaming a file, or creating a new file name. It's just showing you all the options you have available at any point with any action.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Ever since upgrading to Sierra recently, I've been unable to click shift items in Finder.

I have a Corsair keyboard using hacked drivers and turns out Sierra changed some stuff and the project for the drivers was abandoned.

Read the actual Readme and it said while this project is no more, there is another one carrying the torch.

Check it out if you have a Corsair keyboard: https://github.com/mattanger/ckb-next

Updating to this fixed my annoying issue.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

IAmKale posted:

Interesting. Is this a pattern from the NeXT days, like the way OSX handles windows as "pages" in an application that's always open (versus each window being an independent instance of an application a la Windows)?

Nah, this is old-school MacOS behavior.

NeXT (as a Unix tradition OS) had each app self-contained in its own window, no global menu bar. Blending that with the old Mac way was trippy as gently caress for us unix propellerheads.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

What's the video player of choice for OSX? I love quicktime but the supported formats is so limited. I've been using MPlayerX for the other 90% of formats that I'm playing and I love the minimal interface, but the seeming lack of an ability to set a default audio/subtitle track and the sheer determination the installer has to spew adware over your HDD is a little disconcerting.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Try IINA https://lhc70000.github.io/iina/

It's like VLC in some ways, but much faster and made for macOS. There's even a browser extension to open YouTube URLs in the main video player. Lots of subtitle control, default track control IIRC. There is no installer, no malware. It's new though so it's still a work in progress.

I switched about 2 weeks ago and I enjoy it so far. It's built on mpv which is what MPlayer uses I think?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'll give that a try too, thanks. VLC is always the 'go to', but I've noticed in the past it's not always been the best, but for macOS I've never really ventured much further.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Yeah I used VLC for the longest time but two minutes setting up my keys and I was happy with this. I wish it had the option to go into overlay full screen instead of Apple full screen (separate desktop) but it’s not a dealbreaker for me

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Pivo posted:

Try IINA https://lhc70000.github.io/iina/

It's like VLC in some ways, but much faster and made for macOS. There's even a browser extension to open YouTube URLs in the main video player. Lots of subtitle control, default track control IIRC. There is no installer, no malware. It's new though so it's still a work in progress.

I switched about 2 weeks ago and I enjoy it so far. It's built on mpv which is what MPlayer uses I think?

This is perfect, thanks! I always used MPC-HC on windows - VLC is very consistent and it'll open anything but it always felt a bit sluggish and hacky - plus I never really trusted any media player where you could adjust the volume to 200%.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

But it goes to 11!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Generic Monk posted:

plus I never really trusted any media player where you could adjust the volume to 200%.

Then you will have to enable the volume limiter in IINA because it goes above 100% too ...

I like the feature, much easier than digging into preference menus for the software preamp

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Pivo posted:

Then you will have to enable the volume limiter in IINA because it goes above 100% too ...

I like the feature, much easier than digging into preference menus for the software preamp

ack serves me right for acting like a smug audiophile

I have a (lovely but serviceable) amp that goes way louder than anyone would reasonably need connected to my mac so I just hammer on the weird 80s volume control until I can hear poo poo if I happen to be watching anything mastered at a really low volume

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Can't do that with Macbook Pro speakers without additional software unfortunately.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

My go to for media players are Movist and Eltima Player.. never found an .mkv or other video file yet they can't play between the two of them.

The latter is payware but it's worth it as it is constantly updated.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

IAmKale posted:

OSX Sierra (well, whatever came just before it) is my first real exposure to Macs as an everyday driver so I don't know a whole lot about the evolution of the OS. Idiosyncracies like what you posted are super interesting.

Phoenixan posted:

The options return to an active non-greyed-out state when you're in a text field of some kind. That is, the search, renaming a file, or creating a new file name. It's just showing you all the options you have available at any point with any action.

It's basically this. It would be pretty obnoxious for items in the menu bar to appear/disappear, they're just always there, and (in this particular case) almost always inactive.

The finder being a text field is just because "select a filename with the keyboard" was one of the very few ways to navigate macos via keyboard. I'm pretty sure it wasn't until OS X that you could actually use the keyboard in the menu bar, unlike windows.

Incidentally, you still have to turn that on — I'm not even sure the keyboard shortcut to enable full access is enabled by default. In any event, ctrl+f2 is way less convenient than hitting alt. That sort of behavior you can blame on Mac "hey we have a mouse use it for everything" OS.

Speaking of classic mac behavior, where did the option for Simple Finder go? I know they removed the lozenge ages ago, but I could've sworn there was an option to turn it on somewhere. Nothing says "I'm using a macintosh" quite like having a separate window open for every folder in your directory path from Macintosh HD.

I don't like IINA because for some reason it's noticeably laggier than mpv when playing the same file. I donno, maybe it's not using frameskip or something, but it's kinda annoying.If you aren't using a broken 2010 mbp on the terrible intel chip, this is probably not an issue The only reason I use mpv over VLC is because it has far better jump options, and because VLC inexplicably has a frame advance key, but not a frame back key. I do appreciate that VLC actually put out a PPC version relatively recently, though.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
So I just bought a USB3.0 HD to use with Time Machine, and it's taking a really long time to backup the first time (.01gb/second but seems to go in fits and starts) ... is this normal?

It's the first backup to the HD, and I did select encryption.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
mpv has always worked flawlessly for me on my late 2013 rMBP. I haven't ever felt the need to switch. It's lightweight and functional. It just works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

My go to for media players are Movist and Eltima Player.. never found an .mkv or other video file yet they can't play between the two of them.

The latter is payware but it's worth it as it is constantly updated.

I used to love Movist and I bought it in the App Store when they went that route but I stopped using it when it wouldn't render subtitles from ripped BDs when most all other popular players would. Using makeMKV for ripping which is pretty standard these days.