Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The heck kind of cube do you play with four people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Any kind

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Archenteron posted:

Its your best answer to a Leyline of Sanctity as mill, yeah

I run a singleton Echoing Truth that works too! But that's mostly for token shenanigans, especially Kiki decks.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

The kind where it's impossible to get 4 people together to do a stupid cube, never mind 8.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Siivola posted:

The heck kind of cube do you play with four people?

I played a sealed cube with 3 of my friends just yesterday. My deck's only creatures were 2 really big eldrazi. My entire deck was based around cheating them out with either Oath of Druids or Tooth and Nail. I went 2-1

I'm blessed because I have a lot of friends who actually play cube. We often have 6 players or even 8 players for a cube, and if we don't then we can also play EDH

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

If we're cubing with four we usually do 5 packs of 9 so cards aren't endlessly wheeling. You could also do 6 packs of 15 and in each pick you choose a card for your deck and a card to get discarded from the draft face down.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
There are many ways to do smaller cube drafts but you should burn cards if you do.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

suicidesteve posted:

The kind where it's impossible to get 4 people together to do a stupid cube, never mind 8.

In hindsight, pimping my cube this hard was perhaps a mistake. The number of people I trust to play it was narrowed by that choice, and it was already hard enough to try to find 8.

We've done a lot of 4 player, and it works well enough.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

BaronVonVaderham posted:

In hindsight, pimping my cube this hard was perhaps a mistake. The number of people I trust to play it was narrowed by that choice, and it was already hard enough to try to find 8.

We've done a lot of 4 player, and it works well enough.

I'll trade you my non-pimped cube cards for your pimped ones.

Usually when I have four I do 8 packs of 15, pick one, burn two. Burn drafting lets you see much more cards and better supports aggro and more synergistic strategies. I used to do 5 packs of 9 and it worked well enough but I'd recommend trying burn drafting if you haven't. Plus you can configure it however you'd like. Four or five cubers make up the majority of the time we cube and that's infrequent enough as is.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Another option for doing a 4 player or even a 2 player cube draft is Tic Tac Toe draft. You makes packs of nine cards and deal each pack out face up in a 3 x 3 grid. First player chooses a row or column and takes those three cards. The second player chooses one of the remaining rows or columns (getting either 2 or 3 cards). The rest of the cards are trashed.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

We've done that with 3 people except we did 4x4 and could go diagonal to really mess stuff up. Then we played a 3-way game for maximum silliness.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Brought my lifetime GDS tournament record to 7-1-1 at yesterday's event. This thing is a beast. My only loss so far was to Jeskai Delver with Myth Realized. That card matched up really well in our games, since it only got activated when it could be protected, so I couldn't remove it, and it got big enough to tangle with everything. I had some awkward draws, and I'm still making so many misplays with the deck, but I also think there's potential there (edit: in Myth). And if I'm going to lose, I'd much rather it be to something different.

Shovelmint fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 7, 2017

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

teddust posted:

Another option for doing a 4 player or even a 2 player cube draft is Tic Tac Toe draft. You makes packs of nine cards and deal each pack out face up in a 3 x 3 grid. First player chooses a row or column and takes those three cards. The second player chooses one of the remaining rows or columns (getting either 2 or 3 cards). The rest of the cards are trashed.

I like grid drafting for two but definitely prefer burn for four. And they're pretty equal for two as well.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
What are some good anti-artifact and anti-GY creatures in Modern in WBG? Do people still play Kataki in the format? Playing around with the idea of a creature-heavy SB for that Eldritch Evolution deck I posted earlier, being able to tutor for most of your SB options seems really good.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Scavenging Ooze, Kataki, Pridemage, Rec Sage, the 4/4 with cumulative upkeep of putting a card in a graveyard on the bottom, Stonecloaker, Manglehorn.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
The first four Steve mentioned along with Yixlid Jailer. If you're playing tutor effects like chord or evolution then you should definitely be playing 1 kataki in the side.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

Scavenging Ooze, Kataki, Pridemage, Rec Sage, the 4/4 with cumulative upkeep of putting a card in a graveyard on the bottom, Stonecloaker, Manglehorn.

um, Jotun Grunt has a cumulative upkeep of two cards to the bottom :goonsay:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Fingers McLongDong posted:

The first four Steve mentioned along with Yixlid Jailer. If you're playing tutor effects like chord or evolution then you should definitely be playing 1 kataki in the side.

Yeah I have those four on-hand already, and Jailer's probably not tough to find. This is where I am now-

Deck: Abzan Evolve

//Lands
3 Blooming Marsh
2 Forest
1 Gavony Township
1 Godless Shrine
3 Marsh Flats
2 Overgrown Tomb
1 Plains
1 Razorverge Thicket
1 Swamp
4 Temple Garden
4 Windswept Heath

//Spells
4 Eldritch Evolution
1 Maelstrom Pulse
4 Path to Exile

//Creatures
1 Baneslayer Angel
4 Birds of Paradise
1 Blood Baron of Vizkopa
1 Eternal Witness
3 Kitchen Finks
1 Linvala, Keeper of Silence
2 Noble Hierarch
1 Qasali Pridemage
3 Renegade Rallier
1 Scavenging Ooze
3 Siege Rhino
1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
1 Tireless Tracker
4 Voice of Resurgence
1 Wilt-Leaf Liege

//Sideboard
2 Abrupt Decay
1 Eidolon of Rhetoric
1 Gaddock Teeg
1 Kataki, War's Wage
1 Orzhov Pontiff
1 Qasali Pridemage
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Selfless Spirit
1 Stony Silence
2 Surgical Extraction
2 Thoughtseize
1 Yixlid Jailer

Display deck statistics

Brought in a few Ralliers for some recursion and Blood Baron as a finisher and problem card for Death's Shadow. Debating that SB Pridemage, which was a Rec Sage until a few minutes ago- better to have potential recursion with Rallier, or to have the ETB trigger?

E: Yes the manabase isn't 100% efficient :smith: I'm working on it!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 8, 2017

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Personally I like pridemage over rec sage, that is my choice when playing company anyway. It doesn't have the immediate ETB but it's just a much better creature in its own, being able to play it out as an aggressive creature has always been good. Works well with rallier too.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Plus it hits X-moth lands a lot better.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I don't think this is ever going to be great, but I opened two copies of Ramunap Excavator at my prerelease and I think it's a sign telling me that I should totally make Crucible Company in Modern, probably in a GW Hatebears / Company shell. The obvious plan is is to play tax effects like Thalia to slow down the opponent long enough for you to Ghost Quarter them out of the game. Here are my concerns so far:

1. Excavator is unplayable by itself and extra copes don't add any additional value, so I'm not sure how many copies I want to play vs just trying to make a more generically powerful GW shell.
2. The combo is a little slow even once it's set up, so you probably want to support it with something like Azusa, but now we're playing even more cards that are completely garbage by themselves to support the combo.
3. The deck probably wants to play Leonin Arbiter to support the GQ plan, but doing so effectively cuts you off of fetches yourself: that means no Knight of the Reliquary, and Azusa is much worse because you can't recur a fetch from your GY. I suppose you could try running Mindcensor instead, but it's slower.

Here's something of a first draft.

//Lands
2 Forest
2 Gavony Township
4 Ghost Quarter
3 Horizon Canopy
1 Plains
4 Temple Garden
4 Windswept Heath
2 Wooded Foothills

//Spells
4 Collected Company
4 Path to Exile

//Creatures
3 Aven Mindcensor
2 Azusa, Lost but Seeking
3 Birds of Paradise
2 Courser of Kruphix
3 Knight of the Reliquary
4 Noble Hierarch
2 Qasali Pridemage
3 Ramunap Excavator
4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
2 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
2 Voice of Resurgence

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Voyager I posted:

I don't think this is ever going to be great, but I opened two copies of Ramunap Excavator at my prerelease and I think it's a sign telling me that I should totally make Crucible Company in Modern, probably in a GW Hatebears / Company shell. The obvious plan is is to play tax effects like Thalia to slow down the opponent long enough for you to Ghost Quarter them out of the game. Here are my concerns so far:

1. Excavator is unplayable by itself and extra copes don't add any additional value, so I'm not sure how many copies I want to play vs just trying to make a more generically powerful GW shell.
2. The combo is a little slow even once it's set up, so you probably want to support it with something like Azusa, but now we're playing even more cards that are completely garbage by themselves to support the combo.
3. The deck probably wants to play Leonin Arbiter to support the GQ plan, but doing so effectively cuts you off of fetches yourself: that means no Knight of the Reliquary, and Azusa is much worse because you can't recur a fetch from your GY. I suppose you could try running Mindcensor instead, but it's slower.

Here's something of a first draft.

//Lands
2 Forest
2 Gavony Township
4 Ghost Quarter
3 Horizon Canopy
1 Plains
4 Temple Garden
4 Windswept Heath
2 Wooded Foothills

//Spells
4 Collected Company
4 Path to Exile

//Creatures
3 Aven Mindcensor
2 Azusa, Lost but Seeking
3 Birds of Paradise
2 Courser of Kruphix
3 Knight of the Reliquary
4 Noble Hierarch
2 Qasali Pridemage
3 Ramunap Excavator
4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
2 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
2 Voice of Resurgence

I think I'd rather play it as part of a GW shell instead of as the focus of a deck. Seems like something that could bolster already-existing GW Hatebears decks, though I don't know what those look like these days nor do I know how effective they are. It might be best off as a 2x in aa list like this, which already has Arbiter baked in.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

I think I'd rather play it as part of a GW shell instead of as the focus of a deck. Seems like something that could bolster already-existing GW Hatebears decks, though I don't know what those look like these days nor do I know how effective they are. It might be best off as a 2x in aa list like this, which already has Arbiter baked in.

As the resident hatebears/taxes guy, I don't think it slots into that deck or the more taxes version of gw. Slow, super mediocre stats for 3 cmc, no ETB and no value just from being on board. Thalia and arbiter work because they are fine by themselves. This guy would work best in a GW value shell like the one Todd Stevens has been playing periodically that runs 1 Azusa and a few KotR and wins through value dudes and sometimes ghost quarter locking. I think his version actually ran a maindeck crucible even.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Fingers McLongDong posted:

As the resident hatebears/taxes guy, I don't think it slots into that deck or the more taxes version of gw. Slow, super mediocre stats for 3 cmc, no ETB and no value just from being on board. Thalia and arbiter work because they are fine by themselves. This guy would work best in a GW value shell like the one Todd Stevens has been playing periodically that runs 1 Azusa and a few KotR and wins through value dudes and sometimes ghost quarter locking. I think his version actually ran a maindeck crucible even.

Thinking about it more I think you're right. This card doesn't do enough by itself to build around that hard, and it plays too poorly with Arbiter to really do well in the same deck, and I don't think a GQ plan without Arbiter is fast enough.

The card has the potential to get gross as part of a toolbox and has some powerful interactions beyond Ghost Quarter (being able to Horizon Canopy every turn sounds like one hell of a mana sink), but trying to curve a 3 drop into Ghost Quarter is way the gently caress too slow to be Plan A.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 9, 2017

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

After playing a few leagues with it, I think Nissa, Steward of Elements is really solid in Knightfall or any other blue Collected Company deck. Playing it with X=1, ticking up once, then zeroing for the rest of the game is going to put you really far ahead, and it's hard to pressure her behind your wall of creatures. If lightning bolt ever comes back or the format speeds up she's out, but I like the card a lot right now. If you're playing the vizier combo it's even a semi-respectable way to spend infinite mana.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

uninverted posted:

After playing a few leagues with it, I think Nissa, Steward of Elements is really solid in Knightfall or any other blue Collected Company deck. Playing it with X=1, ticking up once, then zeroing for the rest of the game is going to put you really far ahead, and it's hard to pressure her behind your wall of creatures. If lightning bolt ever comes back or the format speeds up she's out, but I like the card a lot right now. If you're playing the vizier combo it's even a semi-respectable way to spend infinite mana.

keep in mind you can start her loyalty at any point you want especially if you have good mana combos...I've loved it since she was first revealed and brought a grip.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I tried her in a Bant Spirits as a 1-of. I don't think she's a good fit there, unfortunately. Three mana is generally when you want to stop playing sorcery speed spells at all in that deck. I also found that doing nothing but scry on her first turn, and then needing to not lose loyalty to have a chance of the 0 doing anything is rough too.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Food for thought for HoD cards in Modern (if you can stand SO's voice)-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mvFchJPdaA

I'm super-excited to try Fraying Sanity in Mill but he needs to stop obsessing over comboing with Traumatize because even as a Mill player that plan doesn't sound super-great.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

That combo is only good if you somehow cheat it and can cast both st the same time.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
FNM time.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

AkumaHokoru posted:

keep in mind you can start her loyalty at any point you want especially if you have good mana combos...I've loved it since she was first revealed and brought a grip.

Hmm, I think I'll brew bant vizier knightfall. Sounds fun.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Those tokens are awesome.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Cactrot posted:

Those tokens are awesome.

Thanks; I knew there was a reason I bought a color printer. If I get to win a couple games with bee swarm it'll all be worth it. If not, back to 8rack next week.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Walked posted:

I'm looking for suggestions on a third legacy deck, part of it is wanting to mix it up, and part of it is that I'm getting a legacy scene going at my shop and I've been lending decks more and more.

I have Bant Deathblade as my primary deck and Reanimator that I loan often.

I really just want to pick something up that plays differently - I am debating between New Miracles, Death and Taxes (leaning away from this as there's a lot of that here already), and I'm not sure what else.

My primary factor is that it 'feels' different so I have a secondary deck that offers a different dynamic, and isn't just a T1-3 combo deck. What am I foolishly not considering?

the answer is probably lands, isn't it?

It was lands. Be still my sobbing wallet

Walked fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 13, 2017

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

hornet nest is pretty gas. I've got a copy in the sideboard of elves for death's shadow. I'm still looking for a Nekrataal that I can chord and coco into, though. Boneshredder isn't modern legal

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

hornet nest is pretty gas. I've got a copy in the sideboard of elves for death's shadow. I'm still looking for a Nekrataal that I can chord and coco into, though. Boneshredder isn't modern legal

Big game Hunter
Ovinomancer
Wasteland strangler
Any fiend Hunter variant

That's all I got.

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

L0cke17 posted:

Big game Hunter
Ovinomancer
Wasteland strangler
Any fiend Hunter variant

That's all I got.

Garza's Assassin is sweet
maybe Skirsdag Flayer if you're going super deep

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Walked posted:

It was lands. Be still my sobbing wallet

Welcome to the lands club.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Welcome to the lands club.

Wouldn't it be a country club?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

There must be Monopoly boardwalk sleeves somewhere that you can use for that deck.