Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Raxivace posted:

We had those people at my school too.

...poo poo, maybe we really are the same person after all.

Next you're going to tell me you were a straight-A student who got in a bunch of advanced courses in high school. Despite the fact that you didn't put any effort in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Haha, can't say I was an especially impressive or notable student I'm afraid.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Raxivace posted:

Haha, can't say I was an especially impressive or notable student I'm afraid.

You're me in College, then.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Every school had those kids who wore Naruto headbands. Some still do. There are also kids who bleach their hair and spike it up with lots of gel, but they end up looking more like guidos than super saiyans.

Me? I dyed my hair purple in high school so I could look like Trunks.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

It did not work.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's weird, because while I'm sure Naruto was massive here too, it didn't feel like it to me? I mean, people that were into anime were VERY into it, but it definitely wasn't a phenomenon like DBZ or Saint Seiya - even though I'm sure it eclipsed the latter easily overall. Same thing with One Piece. If I'm not mistaken lezard is from Argentina, so maybe that colors his perspective - I think watching anime as a kid was way more normalized down in Latin America than it was in the USA, especially in the 90s and early 00s. That poo poo aired on network TV and all. Meanwhile, Shippuden never made it to cable in Brazil and I'm not sure the original series had a full run on network TV. Plus it got here 5 and 9 years after it started its run in Japan, for the OG series and Shippuden respectively!

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
One Piece never seemed to hit it as big outside of Japan as it did in Japan.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Nothing has been as big as DBZ here except maybe Sailor Moon and even then nah. Goku is on the same level as Batman and Spider Man.

Naruto is really a new generation thing, maybe in 20 years the kids today will remember it like we do DBZ.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Naruto kinda suffers from the Star wars prequels syndrome where if you didn't watch it as it was going, there's no value going back and watching it now.

Dragon ball wasn't really great either, but it does sort of stand the test of time better.

At least shonen stuff now is pretty fantastic, between My Hero Academia and Dragonball Super.

Does this generation have a third? One Piece is kinda its own thing from last generation.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Attack on Titan was pretty big, It seems to have fizzled out though

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Having watched Dragonball recently I can say that it is still really good.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
When DBZ started getting real popular in the states I was just about to enter middle school. Toonami stopping in the middle of namek and switching it back to the beginning like four (six loving times maybe?) really put me off, and for me it didn't help that the music, the voice acting just completely up and changed when they finally released the next half.

High School I noticed some kids wearing headbands and talking about leaf village, and doing a bunch of quick ninja hand gestures or some poo poo, thought that was pretty embarrassing.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 13, 2017

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Stallion Cabana posted:

One Piece never seemed to hit it as big outside of Japan as it did in Japan.

Thanks 4Kids.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Fargin Icehole posted:

When DBZ started getting real popular in the states I was just about to enter middle school. Toonami stopping in the middle of namek and switching it back to the beginning like four times really put me off, and it didn't help that the music, the voice acting just completely up and changed when they finally released the next half.

High School I noticed some kids wearing headbands and talking about leaf village, and doing a bunch of quick ninja hand gestures or some poo poo, thought that was pretty embarrassing.

I recall liking the Naruto manga a lot. I was subscribed to US Shonen Jump up through that tournament arc where they introduced Gaara, and I also got about that far in the anime before I ran out of steam :v:

Most of what I know about Naruto past that is due to wikis and weeaboo osmosis. And Boruto.

But yeah, I don't think it ever got that popular at my high school. Most of my friends were super jazzed about DBZ or Sailor Moon, still.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

4kids didn't help but i doubt it would've been a huge hit in america either way, a lot of 90s-early 00s anime fandom felt focused on how anime could be so much more serious and badass than american cartoons and there's no real way to spin one piece as something like that

dragon ball kinda got lucky that we got z first and not db classic

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
My experience is, anime is only as popular as the effort that goes into marketing it.

Nothing quite achieved the level of Dragonball Z because anime was systematically dismantled in the west by the time, say, Naruto was out and getting to its better arcs. With Toonami getting canned and Adult Swim constantly changing its Saturday schedule seemingly out of sheer spite, nothing else could get a foothold. Outside Cartoon Network, you pretty much had to already be into anime for anime's sake.

The only casual anime fans I met in the mid-late 2000s' pretty much just had a passing knowledge of Inuyasha or Bleach.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
The Internet for better and worse helped if you were an anime fan, i guess.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Brother Entropy posted:

4kids didn't help but i doubt it would've been a huge hit in america either way, a lot of 90s-early 00s anime fandom felt focused on how anime could be so much more serious and badass than american cartoons and there's no real way to spin one piece as something like that

dragon ball kinda got lucky that we got z first and not db classic

One Piece's chief issue in that department is pacing. There's all kinds of bad-rear end fighting and righteous fury, it's just that it doesn't really come to a boil until the end of an arc in almost every case. You know the arc is about to end when Luffy gets the shadows over his eyes and starts talking about justice and comradery, and how the villain has fully and irrevocably offended his sensibilities in both of those categories :v:

This gets a little better sometime around where they get Chopper on the crew. I guess maybe Oda was a bit more into the groove by then, and started weaving sick battles into the character drama parts.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

The Internet for better and worse helped if you were an anime fan, i guess.

Yup. Nothing was airing consistently or at reasonable hours in 2004. It was a sheer stroke of luck that my brother had fansubbed Naruto DVDs onhand, which led me finding subs online, which led me to, of all things, Evangelion.

It's been rather downhill from there.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Muten Roshi-sama!?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

Naruto kinda suffers from the Star wars prequels syndrome where if you didn't watch it as it was going, there's no value going back and watching it now.

I'm watching it now and nah

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Cartoon Network's questionable programming decisions is probably what hurt most anime after the peak of Toonami. Bleach at least got a steady time slot for years on Adult Swim and despite bouncing around networks and living in filler hell, Naruto somehow became arguably the most recognized of the "Big 3" Shonen Jump trio but 4Kids probably hurt One Piece a lot more than they ever helped it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

way I remember it, there was a big backlash against anime for years around the time naruto started airing on cartoon network. a lot of the kids that grew up on dragon ball decided that anime was bad/gross by high school. I know people that still don't consider dragon ball to be anime at all. so naruto was still big but it never had a chance to reach the same amount of people as dbz did

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

I know people that still don't consider dragon ball to be anime at all.

You know some really weird people

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Andrast posted:

You know some really weird people

I wouldn't be surprised if that's a fairly wide-spread opinion. Lots of people grew up with Dragon Ball as kids and lots of people consider anime the worst thing, there's gonna be some overlap there.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

way I remember it, there was a big backlash against anime for years around the time naruto started airing on cartoon network. a lot of the kids that grew up on dragon ball decided that anime was bad/gross by high school. I know people that still don't consider dragon ball to be anime at all. so naruto was still big but it never had a chance to reach the same amount of people as dbz did

I guess, in a way, we can thank Bronies for taking all the hate away from anime fandom. Now, being super angry about anime is just seen as being behind the scene. Not that a lot people like it, but indiscriminate anime hate was, like, five hate cycles ago, man. We're on to a whole new scene now.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Aurora posted:

I'm watching it now and nah

Not saying it's exactly like that, though I am surprised someone would give it any time of the day now a days, but then again even the prequels had their fans.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Naruto is alright before the timeskip and fairly quickly devolves into garbage after it.

At least that's how the manga works. Never watched the anime.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Andrast posted:

Naruto is alright before the timeskip and fairly quickly devolves into garbage after it.

The anime has like 80 episodes of filler before the timeskip so its even worse.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Andrast posted:

The anime is endless filler. Like, no really. They caught up so much to the manga that, pre-timeskip had a 60-80 episode random, non continous filler arc. And, then, the post-timeskip added a ton of a filler per episode then a bunch of filler arcs afterwards. Like, they dragged out one chapter in the manga around the end to last 20 episodes. No, I'm being loving serious. I'm not trying to spoil here, but there was a chapter in the manga where you could tell everyone's experience to one thing. In the manga, they did it in one panel shots. In the anime, each one got 2-3 episodes.

Naruto's creators really, really, really do not want to lose their timeslot.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah I had dropped the anime when it was just endless running after Deidara.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Is shippuden like DB:Kai or is it a sequel?

All I know about Naruto is over exaggerated things and weebs wearing headbands. :v:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Zedd posted:

Is shippuden like DB:Kai or is it a sequel?

All I know about Naruto is over exaggerated things and weebs wearing headbands. :v:
Shippuden is to Naruto as Dragon Ball Z is to Dragon Ball. Just a time skip. If Naruto had a Kai-like show where they cut out the filler it'd probably almost be watchable.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Covok posted:

The anime is endless filler. Like, no really. They caught up so much to the manga that, pre-timeskip had a 60-80 episode random, non continous filler arc. And, then, the post-timeskip added a ton of a filler per episode then a bunch of filler arcs afterwards. Like, they dragged out one chapter in the manga around the end to last 20 episodes. No, I'm being loving serious. I'm not trying to spoil here, but there was a chapter in the manga where you could tell everyone's experience to one thing. In the manga, they did it in one panel shots. In the anime, each one got 2-3 episodes.

Naruto's creators really, really, really do not want to lose their timeslot.

Hell, the anime was still doing filler arcs long after the manga had already ended, they really wanted to keep the show on the air as long as possible. The current Boruto show is surprisingly good so far though, it's kind of doing it's own thing (at the moment at least) rather then following any established manga (So in Dragon Ball terms, less GT and more Super).

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The only true way to experience Naruto is the Ultimate Ninja Storm games.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

The only true way to experience Naruto is the Ultimate Ninja Storm games.

Not emptyquote.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The big ninja war already seemed bloated as gently caress in the manga, I cannot even imagine how it'd be in the anime if they were padding it out even more.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Larryb posted:

Hell, the anime was still doing filler arcs long after the manga had already ended, they really wanted to keep the show on the air as long as possible. The current Boruto show is surprisingly good so far though, it's kind of doing it's own thing (at the moment at least) rather then following any established manga (So in Dragon Ball terms, less GT and more Super).

that seems a flawed comparison because GT wasn't based on a manga either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Augus posted:

that seems a flawed comparison because GT wasn't based on a manga either

That comparison was meant to be more in terms of overall quality but fair point. Either way, it's a pretty good show, especially if you liked the first half of Naruto.

• Locked thread