Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yes, we are, but my point is that this thread is not the hall of public opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I wish everything else in FFXIII wasn't poo poo so I could enjoy the good combat system properly

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I never got around to the end parts where you get a full party for most of the time.
I liked the combat in XIII-2, I assume it was just like that, right?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was like that only with actual challenge and no Pokemon as the third character

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I liked the pokemon though.

It's a fun combat system though, they don't have to scrap it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Also you get a full party permanently about 1/3 of the way through so it's not really just the end bits.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I liked XIII-2 feeling a bit more open at least.

Crystarium wasn't very interesting to me for character growth.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I liked the noise it made when you put points into it

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I guess it was an even more streamlined sphere grid.

What I kinda want is the license boards again but maybe cut out some of the fluff with equipment slots and have more techs.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'd prefer FF9's system. Leveling up just makes you stronger. You get abilities from equipment.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Minus the equipment adds stat boosts on level up thing.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Golden Goat posted:

Yes. That was very obtuse.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I liked the noise it made when you put points into it

Thanks to Pork Lift, I can never do this without thinking "time to genesis our crystos".

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Golden Goat posted:

Wait so your stat boosts in FFIX will change depending on what equipment you are wearing at the time? Does the game actually tell you that at any point?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Wait so your stat boosts in FFIX will change depending on what equipment you are wearing at the time? Does the game actually tell you that at any point?

Don't think so.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

No it does not and it's really weird. It's not gonna mess up your game unless you're doing an insanely unfun hard mode mod.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I myself am ambivalent on FF13 but it's hard to deny that a lot of people liked it, it's the 3rd or 4th best-selling mainline title ever depending on how you factor in sequels and it thrived during the great console JRPG holocaust of the early 2010s. Lightning is right up there with Cloud in terms of popularity with younger fans of the series, in fact she's probably one of the most recognizable characters from any FF in common parlance now.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Lightning is good

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Celes is cooler than Lightning.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I Like Lightning and thought she was one of the strong links in 13 :shrug:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Meridian posted:

Celes is cooler than Lightning.
Also true.

Hot question that determines if I'll continue playing World of Final Fantasy or leave it til I get through FFXII:
Is my good home Hell House a collectable mirage?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I didn't realize they added entirely new music to the soundtrack of Zodiac Age. 12 was always right about my favorite FF but this remake ticked almost all the boxes for improvements (still no decent steal gambit that i've seen).

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I'm temped to just grab XIII next time it's on sale to see what the fuzz is about, but someone mentioned the port wasn't very good - still the case? If it's just complains about 30fps or whatever - I don't mind long as it runs stable.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Levantine posted:

I didn't realize they added entirely new music to the soundtrack of Zodiac Age. 12 was always right about my favorite FF but this remake ticked almost all the boxes for improvements (still no decent steal gambit that i've seen).

I've been using:

1. Foe: >/= 90% HP - Steal
2. Foe: Target Lowest HP - Attack

and then someone else with:

1. Foe: Party Leader's Target - Attack

Works fine running around in the world where you'll usually get one steal attempt at the start of the fight and then your team crushes the monster. It gets wonky when there's more than 2-3 targets though and your leader just runs around trying to steal from empty handed monsters sometimes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Do you get gambits that can target elemental weaknesses automatically eventually or am I just going to have to switch my default attack gambit when I need to?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

Do you get gambits that make it easier to target elemental weaknesses eventually or am I just going to have to switch my default attack gambit when I need to?

There's foe target gambits based on elemental weakness and susceptibility.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Meridian posted:

I've been using:

1. Foe: >/= 90% HP - Steal
2. Foe: Target Lowest HP - Attack

and then someone else with:

1. Foe: Party Leader's Target - Attack

Works fine running around in the world where you'll usually get one steal attempt at the start of the fight and then your team crushes the monster. It gets wonky when there's more than 2-3 targets though and your leader just runs around trying to steal from empty handed monsters sometimes.

Yeah, you can design around it, but they should have just added "enemy has item = steal". If I'm fighting an enemy that has something I want I override gambits til I get it for the most part. But for trash I do similarly to what you describe.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Levantine posted:

Yeah, you can design around it, but they should have just added "enemy has item = steal". If I'm fighting an enemy that has something I want I override gambits til I get it for the most part. But for trash I do similarly to what you describe.

I agree totally. It gets difficult to manage sometimes especially if you're using the speed boost. It's all good though. It's a relatively minor annoyance in my opinion.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Avalerion posted:

I'm temped to just grab XIII next time it's on sale to see what the fuzz is about, but someone mentioned the port wasn't very good - still the case? If it's just complains about 30fps or whatever - I don't mind long as it runs stable.

It's still a not very good port but if you have current-gen PC specs + some form of adaptive sync you can probably overpower its frame drop issues.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I think they just shouldn't remake FF7 at all because the only reason they're doing it is to cash in on the hype since they've had so many projects in development hell for so long and need to recoup some losses and know they can get away with any decisions they want because they know fans will shovel anything with FF7 in the title down their throats as fast as their wallets will let them

Why can SE do remakes of FF1/2/3/4 and add new feature/alter content to FF12 but not FF7? I don't think there's anything special about any of the other games that means they can't have remakes ever.

Golden Goat posted:

I never got too far in XIII but one are gods and the other is people who work for said gods, right?

Kinda. There are actual gods in FNC that are their own thing, they made the fal'Cie and humans. fal'Cie are demi-gods basically who use their powers to keep the world functioning. l'Cie are the humans that are granted magic powers from the fal'Cie to complete whatever task the fal'Cie wants.

Golden Goat posted:

I never got around to the end parts where you get a full party for most of the time.
I liked the combat in XIII-2, I assume it was just like that, right?

It's close. The balancing of spells/abilities works differently, and the way characters are is completely different. In 13-2 Serah and Noel don't get many interesting abilities themselves and are barebones, and monsters have most of the really good poo poo. In 13, the good poo poo is evenly distributed between the 6 party members

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It's really crazy how much more fun the speed boost makes the game. When XII first came out I'd always burn out half way in or so. Last night I actually stayed up late because I was having fun just cruising around the sand sea. As someone who played the original that's a statement I never thought I'd make.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Avalerion posted:

The 2 primary complaints about the port I've seen are:

1. Needs a slightly beefy computer compared to other ports from that era. You probably would be fine if your computer isn't ancient, but don't play on a lovely laptop. The crystarium will always lag, but everything else will be fine.

2. Game can have issues with controllers and doesn't let you change controls in-game. Personally I just use an external program for my controller and it's fine.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

When I first played the original I really did not like it. IZJS I played a ton of. Little changes like the speed boost help an insane amount.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played the PC version last year on a machine that hasn't been upgraded since 2011, it ran okay at 1080p with shadows and AA turned down but not off and didn't have a problem with my 360 controller, at least not after I switched it to display 360 button prompts anyway.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Final Fantasy VII remake should just have had the localization touched up and been done with sprites, FF6 style.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

FF13 personally gets better with age for me and the combat system is legitimately fun. The story criticisms are valid but I generally like the characters. Hope was definitely a characterization misstep.

Lightning Returns was pretty unplayable for me because me and my friend laughed the entire way through the opening cutscenes because it was so bad and nonsensical.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Meridian posted:

Final Fantasy VII remake should just have had the localization touched up and been done with sprites, FF6 style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScFJpfH2fwk

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Endorph posted:

the only people who hated ff13 were turbonerds on the internet who have played every final fantasy. it's pretty popular with casual fans or younger people., save for people who get their opinions from said turbonerds. acting like ff13 was publicly reviled and loathed is pretty insane when tons of people were super into it for years after its release.

also the only problem with the terms in ff13 are the fact that they sound kind of samey, they're all perfectly explained and anyone who had issues figuring out what they meant was just blatantly not even trying to give the game's plot a fair shake.

I'm glad to know that all the things people didn't like were imaginary and it's actually perfect

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Vargatron posted:

Lightning Returns was pretty unplayable for me because me and my friend laughed the entire way through the opening cutscenes because it was so bad and nonsensical.
LR was definitely super goofy and I really liked it for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The nonsensical aspects are what made LR enjoyable to me. Lightning is a much better character when she's playing it straight against a world of insanity, less so in the very self-serious plot of FF13 proper.