Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

My mom has some "Universal Life" policy that has a $100,000 payout when she dies. I looked into these, and apparently they were marketed in the 1980s with 3 benefits:

-Low monthly premiums
-Retains a cash value (you never lose your money!)
-The rise of the stock market will keep your monthly premiums low

Unfortunately the last one never happened, and now people with these policies as they push Age 70 are being forced to pay higher monthly premiums to make up for it. I told my mom her premiums were going to skyrocket at some point, suggested she just cash out the policy and throw it in a CD, and she said something like "you're insulting me right now - do you think I don't know how to manage my money?"

Baby Boomers have never been told "no" and just trust salesmen blindly.

Good luck with that!

Are you being serious? A CD? May well just cash it out, toss an extra $20 on it, and stuff it into a pillow case. Current rates are horrible for CDs. You could have suggested to 1035 exchange the cash value into a fixed annuity, at least with those you'll be getting full percentage points of interest. That's not even considering that the current cash value may be enough to keep the policy in place with no growth through her life expectancy. You can PM me if you actually want help with any of this, doesn't sound like she does, but I'm just putting that offer out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Hoodwinker posted:

Very true. Who can you trust? Only the horses, I've found. Only the horses.

Christopher Reeves trusted horses.

Just saying, you can't even trust a horse. Best to stick with ponies.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

The ones in my child pedagogy textbook in college v:shobon:v Sorry for the useless answer, it's something I found interesting but didn't pursue professionally so I don't have access to any journals about it

If anyone's library gives them EBSCO / JSTOR access they may be able to find something. It was priceless when I was at a community college with no library to speak of.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I only read this thread but thought this might be appreciated

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If anyone's library gives them EBSCO / JSTOR access they may be able to find something. It was priceless when I was at a community college with no library to speak of.

This isn't a derail because this is about being GWM with learnin', ok mods?!?

Google Scholar is surprisingly robust and has a lot of free resources, I often rely on it during my freelance writing when helping students in academia who don't know the difference between a mommy blog post on vegan alternative treatments to cancer and a robust medical article on the potential hazards of vaping tobacco. No logins required if you sort by "include only those with a PDF" or something like that.

You might not have access to the whole enchilada (some articles are blocked or only accessible thru a database login) but it's a solid starting point for lit reviews, mining other sources, etc if you want to try and find a little more objective info on any given topic

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
i wonder if there's any big bwm stories with memeing that aren't bwl separately? i mean, the act itself is free but it's done by foolish people, so there has to be a correlation

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

tastefully arranged labia posted:

I only read this thread but thought this might be appreciated

What are you doing to that poor bird?! Put that back! Right away!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

Are you being serious? A CD? May well just cash it out, toss an extra $20 on it, and stuff it into a pillow case. Current rates are horrible for CDs. You could have suggested to 1035 exchange the cash value into a fixed annuity, at least with those you'll be getting full percentage points of interest. That's not even considering that the current cash value may be enough to keep the policy in place with no growth through her life expectancy. You can PM me if you actually want help with any of this, doesn't sound like she does, but I'm just putting that offer out there.

Current rates at 2.25% with her balance at $40k would give her $900 annually in interest (plus more as it starts to compound)

If she lives to 90 she will have paid $70,000 for a $100,000 life insurance policy - if she takes it out and puts it in the CD, she'll have paid $40,000 that will grow to $70,000 without any further premium payments

It's basically a wash, but why bother with the premium payments if they're likely to grow as she ages? I don't want her to take out a reverse mortgage to pay $800/month for her premiums, and knowing her she'd do that to keep the policy alive

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Are interest rates for things like savings accounts and CDs ever going to be worth much again? When I was a kid I remember learning all this stuff about the magic of compound interest, but I haven't seen more than a 1% return on something I'd feel safe parking my money in as a layperson in my entire adulthood.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Are interest rates for things like savings accounts and CDs ever going to be worth much again? When I was a kid I remember learning all this stuff about the magic of compound interest, but I haven't seen more than a 1% return on something I'd feel safe parking my money in as a layperson in my entire adulthood.

It's based largely on the Fed rate. So, if the Fed ever raises rates a significant amount it will.

Are you including an IRA as something you don't feel is safe? Because you shouldn't be. Even a crazy conservative mostly cash allocation will be better than 1%.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 12, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's based largely on the Fed rate. So, if the Fed ever raises rates a significant amount it will.

Are you including an IRA as something you don't feel is safe? Because you shouldn't be. Even a crazy conservative mostly cash allocation will be better than 1%.

Oh no I was doing some extreme generalization of course. IRAs are great.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Savings accounts have never really been the place to get the magic of compound interest. Back when savings accounts had higher interest rates, lending interest rates and inflation were also much higher making it all pretty much a wash.

Sure you used to be able to find 5% savings accounts, but your mortgage was 12%.

You'll never beat inflation in a zero-risk account.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Guinness posted:

Savings accounts have never really been the place to get the magic of compound interest. Back when savings accounts had higher interest rates, lending interest rates and inflation were also much higher making it all pretty much a wash.

Sure you used to be able to find 5% savings accounts, but your mortgage was 12%.

Yeah but as a kid I didn't have a mortgage :smugbert:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Well now that I'm locked in at 3.375%, can interest rates please rocket back up?

Oh wait, that'll make my home value drop.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

No Butt Stuff posted:

Well now that I'm locked in at 3.375%, can interest rates please rocket back up?

Oh wait, that'll make my home value drop.

Just arrange for a famous person to die there. Permanent boost in $$$

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I guess I could invite Lowtax over. He can't have too many years left.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

No Butt Stuff posted:

I guess I could invite Lowtax over. He can't have too many years left.

She said famous.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

KingSlime posted:

This isn't a derail because this is about being GWM with learnin', ok mods?!?

Google Scholar is surprisingly robust and has a lot of free resources, I often rely on it during my freelance writing when helping students in academia who don't know the difference between a mommy blog post on vegan alternative treatments to cancer and a robust medical article on the potential hazards of vaping tobacco. No logins required if you sort by "include only those with a PDF" or something like that.

You might not have access to the whole enchilada (some articles are blocked or only accessible thru a database login) but it's a solid starting point for lit reviews, mining other sources, etc if you want to try and find a little more objective info on any given topic

Before this topic gets overlooked, Sci-hub is the place to go when you don't have access to the millions of dollars required for academic journal access. The guy who invented modern journal ripoff practices is a real evil fucker: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/jun/27/profitable-business-scientific-publishing-bad-for-science

The woman who runs Sci-Hub is pretty cool though: http://bigthink.com/neurobonkers/a-pirate-bay-for-science

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Synchrony (formerly GE Capital) has 1.25%+ CDs, or did pretty recently at least. I think their savings accounts are decent too. They're FDIC insured, you just have to be willing to deal with an internet bank.

Not saying it's a great idea or even a great rate, but I use it for extra cash I want semi-liquid

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
took a picture for this thread

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Guinness posted:

TIPS?

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
literally no such thing as a zero risk account

FDIC insured? but you have to price in the risk the FDIC implodes cuz orangeman crony was embezzling all the money allocated or something idiotic like that
literal blocks of gold? lol tomorrow we find a russian gold mine with 90% of the gold in the world
treasury bonds? tips? lol orange avatar of cocaine

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

moana posted:

Why did you give that to your baby is she a bad poster :ohdear:

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008
I've never yet met a baby who was a good poster.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
They just shitpost a lot and cry if you call them out on it.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

moana posted:

Extremely forums poster John Smith voice: You should be charging that human rent because they live in your house and consume your goods. I hope you're keeping a running tab of what they owe you so you can present the bill to them when they can assume fiduciary responsibility.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Cloks posted:

Extremely forums poster John Smith voice: You should be charging that human rent because they live in your house and consume your goods. I hope you're keeping a running tab of what they owe you so you can present the bill to them when they can assume fiduciary responsibility.
Having children is needlessly reckless behavior and it's entirely your fault when your child marries a person of low class and standards, resulting in tainting of the family bloodline.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

Current rates at 2.25% with her balance at $40k would give her $900 annually in interest (plus more as it starts to compound)

If she lives to 90 she will have paid $70,000 for a $100,000 life insurance policy - if she takes it out and puts it in the CD, she'll have paid $40,000 that will grow to $70,000 without any further premium payments

It's basically a wash, but why bother with the premium payments if they're likely to grow as she ages? I don't want her to take out a reverse mortgage to pay $800/month for her premiums, and knowing her she'd do that to keep the policy alive

What year does the inforce illustration show the premiums increasing? Is there a life insurance need? If she want's insurance she can look into a guaranteed UL policy or something. The premiums never go up for that, but they're structured to lose all cash value at a certain point and you can exchange the old policy towards the new one. Insurance isn't an investment and treating it like one isn't always the best idea.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

DarkHorse posted:

Synchrony (formerly GE Capital) has 1.25%+ CDs, or did pretty recently at least. I think their savings accounts are decent too. They're FDIC insured, you just have to be willing to deal with an internet bank.

Not saying it's a great idea or even a great rate, but I use it for extra cash I want semi-liquid

Pro tip, GSBank offers 1.2% on their savings account. Why park it in a CD when you can have it liquid!

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

curufinor posted:

Yeah, all the vocational stuff is taught in a nice modern way in, say, Korea. In America, there is still, i think, a literal plurality who teach kids checkbooks and not anything online and useful.

To get to the Korean state of things, you just have to spend as much and get as much as the Koreans. A majority of middle class Korean families with a kid spends more on education for that kid than on food. That, along with enough misogyny such that the smartest women go on directly to the teachers colleges, is what makes that work. The Finnish should probably be copied instead on the teachers colleges front.

I mean, they also do the spend more on education than on food thing in NYC, the South bay, Fairfax and environs, and various other upper middle class and rich places, but even lower middle class Koreans spend that much.

Do the better schools have better saving face classes? That seems to be the most important thing to learn in Eastern business.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
Korean education system in particular went from mud huts to calculusin10thgrade in like 50 years, so a lot of the face bullshit is from people who were mostly educated in mud huts (ok, pitiless concrete schools). Doesn't say that the creative thinking is there, but if you studiously avoid workplaces with people age >40 in them it'll be ok

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
I feel like grad school is a classic bwm step in life but it doesn't get as much love as horses dying of thinkingofants

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3393fr/i_have_no_idea_how_to_pay_for_grad_school/

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Someone might have already mentioned this but the American banking system is still backwards enough that the most convenient free way to transfer money between people is, a lot of the time, a check (especially if your bank will instantly grant you access to a portion of it while it processes). Balancing the checkbook is fairly useless but knowing how checks work is still valuable, at least until we have the fast and easy bank to bank transfers the rest of the developed world has had for decades.

I kinda thought checks were pretty self-explanatory too but I have several friends who are very smart yet can't figure them out, and come to me and ask "Ok what the heck do I put in the 'memo' line? Is that legally binding? Do I put my account number on this thing? Wait it's already on it?! How did it get there??"

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

At least if I have friends who use my bank, I can send them money that way. If they use a different bank, then it's impossible and I give up.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

No Butt Stuff posted:

At least if I have friends who use my bank, I can send them money that way. If they use a different bank, then it's impossible and I give up.

I use a bank and a credit union (trying to shift all the way to the credit union but it's a pain to get everything moved over so it's just sorta split now) and the bank has bank-to-bank transfers with other banks for a lovely fee, and the credit union supposedly has it for free but they use some third-party servicer whose website is horribly broken and doesn't accept any account number I ever enter into it :sigh:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

ate all the Oreos posted:

Someone might have already mentioned this but the American banking system is still backwards enough that the most convenient free way to transfer money between people is, a lot of the time, a check (especially if your bank will instantly grant you access to a portion of it while it processes). Balancing the checkbook is fairly useless but knowing how checks work is still valuable, at least until we have the fast and easy bank to bank transfers the rest of the developed world has had for decades.

I kinda thought checks were pretty self-explanatory too but I have several friends who are very smart yet can't figure them out, and come to me and ask "Ok what the heck do I put in the 'memo' line? Is that legally binding? Do I put my account number on this thing? Wait it's already on it?! How did it get there??"

Just venmo it grandpa.

And the "for"/"memo" line on a check is where you put a joke like "eating a bug" or "gymnastic lessons"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

C.H.O.M.E posted:

Just venmo it grandpa.

And the "for"/"memo" line on a check is where you put a joke like "eating a bug" or "gymnastic lessons"

I thought venmo had a fee, or at least had a day or two lag transferring the money into your bank account so you can actually use it.

Like if it doesn't need to be instant (and the other person has an account) I usually use PayPal because bank transfers in the US with paypal are free, but then getting the money out of paypal and into your actual bank can take one to three days for reasons.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

C.H.O.M.E posted:

Just venmo it grandpa.

Venmo is owned by Paypal.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I dutifully balanced my checkbook once, as my mother had taught me, the first month after I left home. Then I realized it was perfectly pointless because of itemized bank statements. This was over 20 years ago. It hasn't become more important since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It's probable that we shouldn't call it 'balancing a checkbook' anymore because even people who write checks probably aren't filing out the register and then checking it against their bank statement, but the basic concept that it is trying to teach you is reconciling your transactions with your assets so that you know where your money is going and that there aren't any mistakes. That is actually a pretty significant and valuable lesson that a lot of people probably don't get until they gently caress up whatever self-management they have developed and overdraw/bounce payments and get to deal with the fallout from doing so.

It's also the second half of the budgeting process that a lot of people miss; many people do the 'make a budget' thing and then are sloppy about following through and confirming where all their spending has actually occurred. Not that we are any better at teaching people that first step, either.