Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Well Ian Flynn and Tracey Yardley are going to be at a local game con this summer so I guess I can always ask them what happened to the Sonic comic and they'll just shrug their shoulders and tell me they're not at liberty to say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/GoldS_TCRF/status/885292668640800768

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
:siren: NEW CUTE TAILS :siren:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

What were they even doing on the disc for a YYH game? :psyduck:

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Looks like the YYH game was on a disc full of a bunch of Sega Channel stuff. The YYH ROM was probably a dump of a dev cart that Crackers was previously on. It's kind of like how recording over a part of a tape leaves some previous contents left over if you don't record over the whole thing.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I vaguely recall that Sonic Crackers or one of the various other Sonic betas had some completely-unrelated TMNT content on it as well due to this very issue.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BdhL0hcElo
So good

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

The funny part is that Hanamaru probably doesn't even know what video games are

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

MIRAI/HAIYAI ZURAAA

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

You seem to know, so can you explain what I'm looking at with that tweet because I don't know Japanese, be it the language, culture or pretty much any of the people.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You seem to know, so can you explain what I'm looking at with that tweet because I don't know Japanese, be it the language, culture or pretty much any of the people.

Well it's been awhile since I've seriously studied Japanese and I can barely read any of the kanji in that tweet, but if I had to guess it has the actress that plays Hanamaru being invited over to Sega Japan for the new Sonic x Love Live! promotion thing

Don't really know what this all will entail, but we might get a new figure out of it like we did with Sonic and Rin:

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

what the gently caress is a hanamaru

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

you know that thing you like? It's the opposite of that

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

You dodged my trap this day, Hitlersaurus, but one day you'll slip up and show the world how much you love the anime.:argh:

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

One more month, guys

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well Ian Flynn and Tracey Yardley are going to be at a local game con this summer so I guess I can always ask them what happened to the Sonic comic and they'll just shrug their shoulders and tell me they're not at liberty to say

Ian already stated he is pretty much in the dark about whats happening and frustrated as well. He heard they may get information by the end of July however.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

i can't keep up with this poo poo i thought that was hanayo koizumi

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I highly doubt that Sonic Boom would have been good even without management interference from some cokehead suit at Sega who thought they knew better than actual game developers, but it certainly didn't help.

I mean, the core concept of the game isn't terrible, and Big Red Button was basically an all-star studio of people who worked at Naughty Dog and (I believe) Insomniac back in the day. Without the executive meddling, we might've ended up with something fairly decent and not a bizarre clusterfuck of a game.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

azurite posted:

One more month, guys

Until then I'll totally forget I pre-ordered the game.

That will be such a delicious surprise. :allears:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
So... tonight I thought I'd give Sonic Lost World another try after trying it like a year (or more?) ago and not really getting into it.

...did people really loving like that game? Really? All I could think about in the half-hour I was playing it tonight was how bored I was and how nothing felt satisfying. I had a lot of fun with Generations, I had... some... fun with Sonic Adventure so I understand janky 3D Sonic and I can tolerate that. But Lost World was so loving dull and your jump feels really lazy, it's like you're jumping through syrup. There's a dedicated RUN BUTTON... you have to HOLD a loving button to run. And then you never even run that fast, and if you spin dash you immediately lose all momentum like five seconds later.

I think I may hate it. I'm kinda thinking it's a big pile of poo poo, but maybe that's just me.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

There's a bit of a learning curve. You can have some fun with it after getting past that but it'll still be a mediocre game at best so I wouldn't bother.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

So... tonight I thought I'd give Sonic Lost World another try after trying it like a year (or more?) ago and not really getting into it.

...did people really loving like that game? Really? All I could think about in the half-hour I was playing it tonight was how bored I was and how nothing felt satisfying. I had a lot of fun with Generations, I had... some... fun with Sonic Adventure so I understand janky 3D Sonic and I can tolerate that. But Lost World was so loving dull and your jump feels really lazy, it's like you're jumping through syrup. There's a dedicated RUN BUTTON... you have to HOLD a loving button to run. And then you never even run that fast, and if you spin dash you immediately lose all momentum like five seconds later.

I think I may hate it. I'm kinda thinking it's a big pile of poo poo, but maybe that's just me.

The spin dash is more or less the boost mode of this game actually. If you press and hold the button again after releasing it to spindash you can do it infinitely.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

King Vidiot posted:

...did people really loving like that game?

not really no

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

The spin dash is more or less the boost mode of this game actually. If you press and hold the button again after releasing it to spindash you can do it infinitely.

Probably would've been helpful to know before I gave up on the game forever.

But I gave up on the game forever so I guess the point is moot!

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

King Vidiot posted:

...did people really loving like that game? Really?

I thought the game sucked when I first played it and beat it. And then spent more time learning how to play it properly and had a much better time, though the gimmicky stuff still was annoying. It was a git gud thing I guess

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

Probably would've been helpful to know before I gave up on the game forever.

But I gave up on the game forever so I guess the point is moot!

Should have said something earlier. :shrug:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah I got it a few weeks ago and only played through the first few levels. Saying it feels like Sonic is in syrup is a good analogy because that's totally how it feels.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
Even if you figure out the infinite spindash you just end up puttering along in a straight line and occasionally jumping over hazards until you reach the obligatory 2d platforming section with its even gummier and worse-feeling controls. You technically have more control over Sonic than you do in any boost game but when it's this blasé you might wonder what was even the point of it all.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

My favorite part of Lost World is when they include "alternate paths" that are just straight lines of connecting boost pads that automatically push you past all the level design.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also they continue Colors' trend of punishing you for loving up higher-reaction-time requiring platforming by putting you on an alt path with wisps because they know drat well they're slow and annoying to use lol

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Augus posted:

My favorite part of Lost World is when they include "alternate paths" that are just straight lines of connecting boost pads that automatically push you past all the level design.

I liked the boost pads in the early desert level that just push you onto the sand that you can't run on, which covers 99% of the level. The rest is either sarlacc pits or boost pads.

Believe me when I say that when I play a Sonic game, the last thing I want to do is be able to run unimpeded.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

King Vidiot posted:

I liked the boost pads in the early desert level that just push you onto the sand that you can't run on, which covers 99% of the level. The rest is either sarlacc pits or boost pads.

Believe me when I say that when I play a Sonic game, the last thing I want to do is be able to run unimpeded.

If you jump into the slow sand from a spindash jump and still hold your spindash you can continually jump-slight spindash-jump and get through the sand portions quicker than taking the normal paths.

edit: oh yeah there's a specific kind of roll from a spindash you can do that cleanly lets you go over that sand too, but I never knew if that was intentional or not

Ventana fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 17, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Archie Comics abruptly cancelled all of its Sonic the Hedgehog titles in April 2017, even nixing a planned Free Comic Book Day title. The publisher has now come forward with a brief statement about the hiatus.

"We are in communication with SEGA regarding Sonic and will provide an update when we have one to share," said an Archie Comics spokesperson. "We thank the fans for their patience."

https://www.newsarama.com/35396-archie-comics-responds-to-sonic-the-hedgehog-status.html

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Ventana posted:

If you jump into the slow sand from a spindash jump and still hold your spindash you can continually jump-slight spindash-jump and get through the sand portions quicker than taking the normal paths.

edit: oh yeah there's a specific kind of roll from a spindash you can do that cleanly lets you go over that sand too, but I never knew if that was intentional or not

That's well and good, but that still doesn't count as "running unimpeded". Like imagine a classic 2D Sonic level where you had to continually hold down the jump button in order to move faster than a brisk walk.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

King Vidiot posted:

That's well and good, but that still doesn't count as "running unimpeded". Like imagine a classic 2D Sonic level where you had to continually hold down the jump button in order to move faster than a brisk walk.

Oil Ocean's oil? Reverse Conveyor belts in Sonic 1/2/CD? Typically in these segments you had to jump to either get out or dodge something they put in the way and running sucked.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So I guess we'll get our last Mania update at SDCC, 730-830 (I'm assuming PST) saturday they have a behind the scenes.

Also there's a "Sounds of Sonic" on thursday? Sounds neat.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jun 4, 2018

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

No you guys are right, I should go back and put hours into a game I don't enjoy playing at all until it eventually grows on me sometime before the end of the game.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jun 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
Do you really want to replay the snowball and fruit levels until you're a god at them?