Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Like the Simpsons this thread will never die. There is always more and it is always worse.

It really says something about Futurama that there's really only one season that is generally bad, the one that came out after the DVD specials. Once that speed bump was crossed the show got good again, but most importantly, it actually ended. Even the original run's cancellation finale was great. The writers gave a poo poo which is more than can be said about the Simpsons.

Wait so the new Futurama actually got good? I stopped watching 3 episodes in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Aesop Poprock posted:

Wait so the new Futurama actually got good? I stopped watching 3 episodes in

It had some huge stinkers later, but there were episodes that reached the pre-cancellation heights.

But you can't really talk about that because you'll wind up with a bunch of posts going "iPhone episode" over and over.

It's a huge bummer that Futurama's last gasp was that loving Simpsons crossover.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The majority of the bad new episodes are in season 6, but it definitely evened out for season 7. The series finale where Leela and Fry spend their whole life wandering across a time frozen earth was great.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 12, 2017

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

It had some huge stinkers later, but there were episodes that reached the pre-cancellation heights.

But you can't really talk about that because you'll wind up with a bunch of posts going "iPhone episode" over and over.

It's a huge bummer that Futurama's last gasp was that loving Simpsons crossover.

Yeah, seconding this. Everyone freaked out at the iPhone episode, but most of the episodes from the post DVD movies are a lot better than that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

The majority of the bad new episodes are in season 6, but it definitely evened out for season 7. The series finale where Leela and Fry spend their whole life wandering across a time frozen earth was great.

This one, and the time travel one, and The Thing one are up there with the classics.

I don't know that it ever evened out really. It's super up-and-down because those aired with some real loving bad ones like the gender swap one or the Saturday morning cartoon one or the one all about Bender's rear end. BUT overall there's a lot of good stuff in the later seasons.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A goofy thing about the gender swap episode is that when they air it in syndication they edit the hell out of it.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

My Linux Rig posted:

Blah

Blah

Blah

Blah

Blah

Blah

blah

You won't believe how pissed off this goon got about Simpsons-related posts in the Simpsons thread! CLICK HERE to read full article

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When Homer raped that girl.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DrPlump posted:

Ooh, Portrait! Sounds classy!

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

This one, and the time travel one, and The Thing one are up there with the classics.

I don't know that it ever evened out really. It's super up-and-down because those aired with some real loving bad ones like the gender swap one or the Saturday morning cartoon one or the one all about Bender's rear end. BUT overall there's a lot of good stuff in the later seasons.

Gender swap episode was hilarious. You just made the list, bud.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

DrPlump posted:

when homer got raped by a panda

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
When OJ brutally murdered his wife and her lover, but then got off at trial. That was the lowest point of the Simpsons.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Killswitch posted:

Gender swap episode was hilarious. You just made the list, bud.

Saturday Morning Cartoon was was p good in my opinion, too. Surprised to find out people don't like these ones.

Humor must be highly subjective or something.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Saturday Morning Cartoon was was p good in my opinion, too. Surprised to find out people don't like these ones.

Humor must be highly subjective or something.

That one was gonna be the series finale because it was one of those anthology ones that they always did at the end of the season. And then someone high up saw what a piece of poo poo it was and changed the schedule to make sure the show wouldn't go out on that note.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I caught the second half of the one where Bart thinks he got a girl pregnant and everyone else just accepts that that's what happened without being concerned for his wellbeing or questioning the physical likelihood that he could be the dad.

I'm gonna guess it was set up earlier that Bart is just really naive and didn't actually get raped.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The season 28 finale is legit good.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The season 28 finale is legit good.

What was good about it?

I wish someone respectable would make a list of all the legit good episodes after season 10. It would be cool to have a playlist of good Simpsons episodes I've never seen.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 13, 2017

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings was the final Futurama episode and it went out on a great episode

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

SeANMcBAY posted:

What was good about it?

I wish someone respectable would make a list of all the legit good episodes after season 10. It would be cool to have a playlist of good Simpsons episodes I've never seen.

There's like one really really good laugh out loud joke, some amusing parts, and I wasn't offended or outraged by any of it.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i never watched the simpsons growing up (caught bits of a couple of episodes here and there but that's it) and a few months ago i decided to binge the whole series as quickly as possible and jfc man, what a weird experience. it basically gave me whiplash yet at the same time i can't pin down where it went fucky on me. i just know that one week i was thinking "wow this show really is brilliant, no wonder its such a staple" and the next week homer was raped by a panda and then another week later homer banged lena dunham :cry:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It went to poo poo at around the time that celebrities in general decided that it was cool to be on the show rather than embarrassing

Bad Llama
Jan 2, 2007
pwnerer
The memes are the lowest point. That and people who talk about the simpsons in daily life.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Sentient Data posted:

It went to poo poo at around the time that celebrities in general decided that it was cool to be on the show rather than embarrassing

When they stopped voicing incidental characters and starting playing themselves exclusively. Hey it's 50 Cent, maybe he'll help! Hey it's Tony Blair, maybe he'll help!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

cool new Polack jokes posted:

When they stopped voicing incidental characters and starting playing themselves exclusively. Hey it's 50 Cent, maybe he'll help! Hey it's Tony Blair, maybe he'll help!

I miss when their incidental characters were like "Hey! It's.... Adam West?"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
A cool thing about KOTH is that I wasn't able to tell there were celebrity cameos until somebody pointed them out in the credits. It just felt like the guests had a good time doing goofy voices, instead of doing an episode as part of a contractually mandated personal brand growth campaign approved by a focus group.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Sentient Data posted:

I used to think celebs willing to embarrass themselves with a Simpsons cameo were the best. Homer At The Bat is the classic example of how guest stars were treated if they were playing themselves, and it was great.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

When OJ brutally murdered his wife and her lover, but then got off at trial. That was the lowest point of the Simpsons.

Speaking of OJ Simpson, it doesn't make any sense that Kato Kaelin would have heard some thumps behind her house and then Furhman finds the other glove back there! Something is up with that guy I think....

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

PostNouveau posted:

I watched this out of morbid curiosity and now my memories of both shows are forever marred

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I'd like to see a list of top 5 to watch/top 5 to avoid for this show to get a sense of both extremes from a variety of viewpoints

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jason Sextro posted:

I used to think celebs willing to embarrass themselves with a Simpsons cameo were the best. Homer At The Bat is the classic example of how guest stars were treated if they were playing themselves, and it was great.

Lord Palmerston!
Pitt the Elder!
LORD PALMERSTON!
PITT THE ELDER!

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I'd like to see a list of top 5 to watch/top 5 to avoid for this show to get a sense of both extremes from a variety of viewpoints

Top few hundred to avoid: All the Lisa episodes

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Hrist posted:

Top few hundred to avoid: All the Lisa episodes

lisa the vegetarian is one of the best episodes tho

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Lisa The Vegetarian is a oval office who ruined the barbecue

and it was one of the first random celebrity just being a celebrity guest stars. why the heck is Paul McCartney at the Kwik-E-Mart

people just give it a pass because it's ~~The Beatles~~

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
The flying pig gag was funny...

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

*20 years of continuing nadirs*

It's still good, it's still good!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Top five:
Last exit to springfield
Cape Fear
King sized homer
Who shot mr Burns
You only move twice

Bottom five:
Lisa the Simpson
Principle and the pauper
My Sister the Sitter
The clip shows (except the 138th episode spectacular)
All of season 10

After season 10 it's probably worse but you'll stop caring about the show by then

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
We've been over this. There are plenty of good Lisa episodes. Like everything else, the classic era knew how to do them. It was post-classic era when Lisa became a preachy mouthpiece and a caricature of herself.

I'd have a very hard time picking a top 5 from seasons 3-8. It's so consistent that I'd say the worst episodes are maybe a B- at worst. To contrast that I'd say to look further than season 10 if you want to see just how far removed the show became from the claassic era. I'd say season 12-onward.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

bitterandtwisted posted:

Bottom five:
Lisa the Simpson
Principle and the pauper

funny thing is these two at least would be head and shoulders above anything else on right now

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Lisa's Substitute was an amazing episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I'd have a very hard time picking a top 5 from seasons 3-8. It's so consistent that I'd say the worst episodes are maybe a B- at worst.

B- is about as bad as any episode gets from that era. I'd even throw in Season 2 at that point, you'd have to go back to season 1 to get down to C.

I miss the late 90's/early 2000's when after dinner I could watch reruns of the Simpsons, and the worst that could happen was it was the couple weeks where they were showing season 1.