Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
The purpose of the HSA is to avoid paying taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

aware of dog posted:

Okay, I know racists think all black people look alike, but this is just ridiculous.

Also
https://mobile.twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/885498387042377730

Okay, but we know that's not loving true. He's publicly disclosed meetings with Russian government appointees!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
John Cena should run and just play this ad all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MdK8hBkR3s

I would vote for Cena.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Chilichimp posted:

Okay, but we know that's not loving true. He's publicly disclosed meetings with Russian government appointees!

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/885501806478061568
Doesn't really make much sense to me though

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mozi posted:

The purpose of the HSA is to avoid paying taxes.

Well, except that it can only be used on healthcare spending (or such is the idea... execution through Congress/GOP is a different story). So sure a rich individual could avoid taxes by dumping into an HSA, but they'd effectively be locking their money out.

The HSA idea is just another option to address the financing of healthcare while doing nothing to address the underlying fundamental truth, which is that the costs actually ARE unsustainable.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
How could any seasoned politician answer "no" to having contact with foreign governments? That's kinda their job.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Joking aside, same. Right now he is Cool Muscle Guy That Hangs Out With Kids With Muscular Dystrophy. If he starts running and putting out all this crap then it's going to suck.

The Rock is very carefully almost totally apolitical because he's aware that becoming political would hurt his brand.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Boon posted:

Well, except that it can only be used on healthcare spending. So sure a rich individual could avoid taxes by dumping into an HSA, but they'd effectively be locking their money out.

I read a book on personal finance recently and apparently HSAs are very useful for avoiding taxes and if you are clever, there's no need for the contents to be restricted to healthcare. Of course, no use to ordinary people who will have maybe $500 in their HSA, enough to cover one trip to the doctors.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

lol

To an extent I can understand not listing meetings he had in his capacity as Senator Sessions of the great state of Alabama... but those meetings with Kislyak were in his capacity as a Trump campaign stooge. He can't claim some kind of immunity from disclosure for his activities outside the boundaries of his duties as a Senator.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Boon posted:

Well, except that it can only be used on healthcare spending (or such is the idea... execution through Congress/GOP is a different story). So sure a rich individual could avoid taxes by dumping into an HSA, but they'd effectively be locking their money out.

The HSA idea is just another option to address the financing of healthcare while doing nothing to address the underlying fundamental truth, which is that the costs actually ARE unsustainable.

HSA disbursements after age 65 can be used for anything.

A HSA is the only truly tax-free investment. Tax-free in, wait until 65, and tax-free out.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
The problem with a moderate republican is that there will still be the hardcore ones around them. And if the moderate just lets the crazy people do what they want while making them look sane and signing there bills he just as bad, if not worse, than a hardcore.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

business hammocks posted:

Zodiac Killer got his hsas and bare-bones scam plans. He's voting for it.

There were 10 noes last time. How many asked for some of these things?

Human
Skinning
Accounts?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Lol HSA

I'm sure the 300 bucks I was able to put into it will cover the cost of my $30,000 dollar surgery and my $400 a month medication

At least its tax free right

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

HSA disbursements after age 65 can be used for anything.

A HSA is the only truly tax-free investment. Tax-free in, wait until 65, and tax-free out.

I thought HSA was use-it-or-lose-it in that any money put in and not spent this year goes to the Feds. So you couldn't use it as a long term savings account.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Old James posted:

I thought HSA was use-it-or-lose-it in that any money put in and not spent this year goes to the Feds. So you couldn't use it as a long term savings account.

That's an FSA.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

You can "only" put 6750/yr into an HSA.

I think that's way more likely to help someone earning 50-100k than the super rich.

Is it a great solution? No, but I don't think it's really benefiting the super rich more than the middle class.

Just cap the maximum income you can have to make contributions like a 401k and call it a day.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Old James posted:

That's FSAs, which are different

No Butt Stuff posted:

I think that's way more likely to help someone earning 50-100k than the super rich.

Is it a great solution? No, but I don't think it's really benefiting the super rich more than the middle class.

Just cap the maximum income you can have to make contributions like a 401k and call it a day.

It helps everyone not poor that can afford to put money in an HSA

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

yeah but you get like .5% interest on that if you max it every year and if you do it every single year for 20 years you'll be able to spend like almost 10 days in the hospital.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Chilichimp posted:

That was a completely different person. That Jeff Sessions was a Senator that met all sorts of people that it would be just silly to try to list out without switching to a Cyrillic keyboard.

Recently, Jefferson Sessions was born anew as Attorney General, leaving behind that old life. Any foreign meetings the old Sessions might have had have no meaning to New Jeff. He has transcended any such interactions, promises, meetings, international conspiracies, Klan honoraria, Nazi memorabilia or mixed race love children that Old Jeff might have been party to.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FSA = Flexible Spending Account.

You can put pre-tax dollars into it and use it within the benefits year to pay for qualified medical expenses. It's basically a checking account that reduces your taxable income and can only be used for healthcare during a one-year period. No interest or dividends.

HSA = Health Savings Account

Basically an investment account that you can choose different stock, bond, or money-market investments. If you are under 65, then you can only make a qualified distribution for healthcare expenses. If you are over 65, then you can take it out whenever you want tax-free.

- Contributions lower your taxable income
- Qualified withdrawals do not count as income and are not taxed.
- Balance is held in stocks or bond funds and can receive dividends, capital gains, and go up or down with the value of a fund. It is a brokerage account that you can only use for healthcare expenses before 65.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

No Butt Stuff posted:

True but you can also invest your contributions in a HSA, which greatly enhances its status as a tax break for the rich and HENRYs.

Stop pretending like your average 40k a year slob can afford to dump money into a HSA.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I have no problem with any improvements to HSA's since they primarily help middle and upper-middle class people. Hell, I even have one.

But, if its being thrown in for the purpose of getting enough votes to kill more poor people, then gently caress you.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

A HSA is a libertarian answer to the problem of healthcare. Looks great at first glance but good lord is the idea not thought through. Namely, why the gently caress would someone put money into a HSA when they can barely afford other luxuries like heat or food?

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/11/us/politics/russia-trump.html

quote:

The emails were discovered in recent weeks by Mr. Kushner’s legal team as it reviewed documents, and the team amended his clearance forms to disclose it, according to people briefed on the developments, who like others declined to be identified because of the sensitive political and legal issues involved.

Did Kushner even know his lawyers were amending his clearance forms?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Push El Burrito posted:

John Cena should run and just play this ad all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MdK8hBkR3s

I would vote for Cena.

Shot in my hometown too!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Peven Stan posted:

True but you can also invest your contributions in a HSA, which greatly enhances its status as a tax break for the rich and HENRYs.

Stop pretending like your average 40k a year slob can afford to dump money into a HSA.

I literally said 50k-100k in the post you quoted.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Feldegast42 posted:

Lol HSA

I'm sure the 300 bucks I was able to put into it will cover the cost of my $30,000 dollar surgery and my $400 a month medication

At least its tax free right

If you're running a high deductible / low premium plan, an HSA is a perfect tool for maintaining a sum near your out-of-pocket max. That being said, only a young professional who doesn't really have healthcare costs (and also saves money for unforseen poo poo) would benefit from a catastrophic care plan like this... which is like no one, so this is a loving sham.

Why the gently caress to Flexible Spending Accounts not roll-over year to year? I've never understood these things.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Peven Stan posted:

$40k /yr slob here; this is accurate. I need that money to pay my rent.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Peven Stan posted:

"Moderate" Republicans just love these tax free savings accounts as a solution to everything. Your poor $40k slob is also meant to be putting at least $4,000 into his retirement savings each year, as well as saving up for his children to go to college in a 529 plan. Now he has to save up for healthcare expenses, too.

It's the kind of solution that works decently if you are earning $150,000 a year as a household, and leaves everyone else on the streets.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Lacrosse posted:

$40k /yr slob here; this is accurate. I need that money to pay my rent.

Yeah, when I was making 40k I wasn't even contributing to my 401k. You're paycheck to paycheck in that range.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

aware of dog posted:

New version of the senate health bill leaked. Some updates:
-$45 billion to help fight the opioid crisis
-People will be allowed to use HSAs to pay their premiums
-People will be allowed to use tax credits on low-cost catastrophic plans
-Keeps some, but not all, of the taxes in the ACA
-Creates a fund to pay insurers for covering high-risk individuals

So it's the old system but with some Obamacare poo poo thrown around the room. Yeah this probably won't pass, the freedom caucus will hate it.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

yeah but you get like .5% interest on that if you max it every year and if you do it every single year for 20 years you'll be able to spend like almost 10 days in the hospital.

:perfect:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Depends where you live frankly. But uhm, no matter where you are $40k would go a much longer way with universal health care. Just saying

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

HSA's are good...why is this a debate?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Chilichimp posted:

Yeah, when I was making 40k I wasn't even contributing to my 401k. You're paycheck to paycheck in that range.

lol, only if you are bad at budgeting or refuse to get a roommate.

I lived off of 33k a year for a bit in Washington, D.C. and still contributed to an IRA.

40k is not paycheck to paycheck, even on a less than frugal budget, in a lot places in the U.S.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

lol, only if you are bad at budgeting or refuse to get a roommate.

I lived off of 33k a year for a bit in Washington, D.C. and still contributed to an IRA.

40k is not paycheck to paycheck, even on a less than frugal budget, in a lot places in the U.S.

don't budget shame

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

RisqueBarber posted:

HSA's are good...why is this a debate?

because they are not a good enough trade off on their own to gut the aca further

rear view mirrors are good too but don't loving matter without an engine, chassis, wheels etc

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Peven Stan posted:

These conversations are a lot easier to have if we don't pretend >40k and rich are the same thing.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Also, the CBO released an analysis of Trump's budget.
https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/885517834297716736

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

skylined! posted:

because they are not a good enough trade off on their own to gut the aca further

rear view mirrors are good too but don't loving matter without an engine, classy, wheels etc

I don't think anyone is saying that they are. HSA's already exist. I was just responding to mcmagic's assertion that HSAs are only a tax break for the rich, when they are, in fact, not.

• Locked thread