Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Forever_Peace posted:

Um you forgot Austin Hooper. Rude.

I'm in 4 leagues where I'll be drafting TEs, and I'm betting I wind up with Polish Hat or Hooper in 2 of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Brate seems like a much safer pick than Howard this year. Brate has evidence of being decent in the pros already, and already knows the playbook. I am not sure why most ADP things have him so low.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.
In my current year-1-dynasty slow draft now entering round 8:

my WR:
Amari Cooper
DeAndre Hopkins
Sammy Watkins
Allen Robinson

my RB:
Christian McCaffrey

I really wanted more RBs but how am I supposed to leave ARob sitting there at #85. We only start 1 RB (two RB/WR/TE flex spots) so if I grab Dalvin Cook, am I going to be without a productive RB between him and CMC for the first 6 weeks? I could always scoop some productive old guy like Frank Gore or something later down the line.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
*whispers*

The Packers have never had a TE1 with Jordy Nelson playing a full season

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Spoeank posted:

*whispers*

Well now that's a fun fact...

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Pancakes by Mail posted:

my WR:
Amari Cooper
DeAndre Hopkins
Sammy Watkins
Allen Robinson

my RB:
Christian McCaffrey

I really wanted more RBs but how am I supposed to leave ARob sitting there at #85. We only start 1 RB (two RB/WR/TE flex spots) so if I grab Dalvin Cook, am I going to be without a productive RB between him and CMC for the first 6 weeks? I could always scoop some productive old guy like Frank Gore or something later down the line.

If those were your first four picks at receiver, you loving murdered it. Who are your other two picks?

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

Spoeank posted:

*whispers*

Jermichael Finley in 2011. TE5 in standard, TE9 in PPR.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Tiptoes posted:

Jermichael Finley in 2011. TE5 in standard, TE9 in PPR.

Jordy was listed as only starting 9 games that year which I didn't have as full time, despite the target count

Edit PFFs snap counts don't go back that far so i may just be a dumb fat baby who can be ignored.

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 13, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I love how TE talk is always happening.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Spoeank posted:

*whispers*

It's a lost cause debating it, there's always a narrative to suggest he'll be awesome (Jared Cook getting the same treatment the past couple years too). Bennett was supposed to be a high end TE1 if Gronk missed time, and a mid TE1 if Gronk stayed healthy. Instead he posted numbers that would've been TE#12 or 13 the last couple years, but was like TE#8 because the position was such a shitshow year. Surely he'll do better now, swapping Edelman and Hogan and an offense that feeds tight ends for Jordy and Adams and has had the entire TE corps average 60-600-4.5 on 90 targets the past 5 years. Bennett is bad and GB is bad for tight ends. He'll get like 70 targets (to Kendricks and Rodgers' combined 30ish) and score 4 touchdowns.

MacheteZombie posted:

I love how TE talk is always happening.

It brings out the most extreme opinions, what can ya do?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Pancakes by Mail posted:

my WR:
Amari Cooper
DeAndre Hopkins
Sammy Watkins
Allen Robinson

my RB:
Christian McCaffrey

Uhhh what??

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If only fantasy football figured out a consistent and reliable way to score offensive blocking, the tight end position would be so much more interesting and useful.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

Sataere posted:

If those were your first four picks at receiver, you loving murdered it. Who are your other two picks?

There have been a lot of weird and straight-up bad picks in this draft. I actually passed on ARob a few times because I didn't want to miss out on every non-receiver position, but finally yeah at #85 it was just too ridiculous not to get him.
I've gone (with some pick trading)
#14 Amari Cooper WR
#28 Khalil Mack DL (DL eligibility sealed it for me)
#29 DeAndre Hopkins WR
#42 Andrew Luck QB
#56 Christian McCaffrey RB
#57 Sammy Watkins WR
#70 CJ Mosley LB
#84 Carlos Dunlap DL
#85 Allen Robinson WR

My next pick is #112. I really think I need another RB (Dalvin Cook?) at that point depending on who's available. As you can see I haven't even been drafting well (went too early on Luck, could have completely forgone the LB position until late rounds, Khalil Mack at #28 is probably a reach too) but my opponents seem intent on making just the most baffling picks and leaving insane, insane value on the table to where I've just been scooping up top-15 WRs basically for free.

Edit: the lineup settings on offense are pretty weird, 1 QB/1 RB/1 WR/1 TE/2 RB/WR/TE flex, 0 ppr, but there's no way I should have landed those 4 receivers regardless

Pancakes by Mail fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 13, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

If only fantasy football figured out a consistent and reliable way to score offensive blocking, the tight end position would be so much more interesting and useful.

I want blocking points for players so badly haha. Would be cool if implemented right.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pancakes by Mail posted:

Edit: the lineup settings on offense are pretty weird, 1 QB/1 RB/1 WR/1 TE/2 RB/WR/TE flex, 0 ppr, but there's no way I should have landed those 4 receivers regardless

You've got a really weird league but yeah you're probably drafting IDP guys way too early. There's a much softer falloff in IDP positions, and also way more value generally available on waivers throughout a season. In most IDP drafts I've seen, JJ Watt goes in a earlish round (maybe 3rd to fourth round) and everyone else goes much later.

That said that starting lineup is fairly weird. What are your keeper rules? Those can affect things a lot too.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
While we are on the topic of tight end chat: every league should have tight end premium scoring of some form. It really opens up the viable flex plays and creates more viable strategies.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Papes posted:

While we are on the topic of tight end chat: every league should have tight end premium scoring of some form. It really opens up the viable flex plays and creates more viable strategies.

My dynasty league implemented ppr scoring in tiers, .5 for wr, .75 for rbs, 1 for tes n qbs. I like it. We also play with 3 wr/rb/te as flex spots so people get creative with lineups sometimes.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

You've got a really weird league but yeah you're probably drafting IDP guys way too early. There's a much softer falloff in IDP positions, and also way more value generally available on waivers throughout a season. In most IDP drafts I've seen, JJ Watt goes in a earlish round (maybe 3rd to fourth round) and everyone else goes much later.

That said that starting lineup is fairly weird. What are your keeper rules? Those can affect things a lot too.

He posted his scoring when we had the original debate about trading the number one overall pick. According to those IDP settings, Mack is an amazing value.

Also, if I'm right, they only get to keep five players next year, which means it's retarded to draft for your anymore and just go BPA regardless of age. Unless you convinced them not to go half keeper/half dynasty/all bad league

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The question isn't how many points Mack will get you, but how many points are left among other players in that position once Mack is gone. If the falloff is steep, Mack is an early rounder; but if a replacement for Mack is readily available for only a tiny drop in points, he's not. In my experience, there has only been one or two IDP players (JJ, and only when he plays a whole season) for whom that is the case; otherwise, IDPs go late because there isn't the positional scarcity.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

The question isn't how many points Mack will get you, but how many points are left among other players in that position once Mack is gone. If the falloff is steep, Mack is an early rounder; but if a replacement for Mack is readily available for only a tiny drop in points, he's not. In my experience, there has only been one or two IDP players (JJ, and only when he plays a whole season) for whom that is the case; otherwise, IDPs go late because there isn't the positional scarcity.

Once again, it depends on the scoring settings. A lot of the time, IDP goes late because defensive scoring isn't set up to be as valuable as offensive scoring. When IDP is scored properly, players at all three levels tier in a way where it makes sense to invest in the position early.

His IDP scoring was similar to that of the cheating for charity league, in which Khalil Mack was the top defensive scorer by a significant margin. Moreover, the difference between other defensive lineman was massive. Like Gronk compared to other tight ends back in his prime.

In a dynasty format, at that age, the case for positional value could be made he's a top ten value.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hmm. I guess I'd want to see the numbers (this wasn't how it worked in the all-IDP league I played a couple years, nor in my dynasty league where we use IDP) but I'll accept that with this scoring maybe it makes sense.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sataere posted:

When IDP is scored properly, players at all three levels tier in a way where it makes sense to invest in the position early.

Still can't quite make this blanket statement. If you start 2 LBs, there's no way you should be chasing the top tier guys in early rounds. The other thing is variability year to year seems quite a bit higher. There's much more fluidity in, say, the top 20 guys at each defensive spot each year, compared to offensive. Kuechly will be a top 2 or 3 guy if healthy, sure, but someone like Bobby Wagner or Zach Brown or Zach Orr ranged anywhere from a projected LB2 to undrafted. I wouldn't be surprised if Wagner was anything from like LB#20 to LB#1 next year. Same at DL (Damon Harrison, Olivier Vernon, Brandon Graham, Akiem Hicks, Frank Clark), same at DB (basically every team's starting SS has a chance at being a top 20 guy, plus a few CBs sprinkled in).

I personally like drafting one of the last few "guaranteed" top 20 guys, then speculating on rookies and upside in the later rounds. That's contingent on other managers starting to take IDPs earlier than I think is optimal, of course, so that offensive talent drops. With someone like ARob in the 80s, you could be making a ridiculously stacked offensive lineup!

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

My dynasty league implemented ppr scoring in tiers, .5 for wr, .75 for rbs, 1 for tes n qbs. I like it. We also play with 3 wr/rb/te as flex spots so people get creative with lineups sometimes.

This sounds cool. My only question is whether beersheets could do it.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

RisqueBarber posted:

I know in past seasons Beer has set up a custom request form closer to the season starts.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Oh look...TE chat again...

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

RVProfootballer posted:

Still can't quite make this blanket statement. If you start 2 LBs, there's no way you should be chasing the top tier guys in early rounds. The other thing is variability year to year seems quite a bit higher. There's much more fluidity in, say, the top 20 guys at each defensive spot each year, compared to offensive. Kuechly will be a top 2 or 3 guy if healthy, sure, but someone like Bobby Wagner or Zach Brown or Zach Orr ranged anywhere from a projected LB2 to undrafted. I wouldn't be surprised if Wagner was anything from like LB#20 to LB#1 next year. Same at DL (Damon Harrison, Olivier Vernon, Brandon Graham, Akiem Hicks, Frank Clark), same at DB (basically every team's starting SS has a chance at being a top 20 guy, plus a few CBs sprinkled in).

I personally like drafting one of the last few "guaranteed" top 20 guys, then speculating on rookies and upside in the later rounds. That's contingent on other managers starting to take IDPs earlier than I think is optimal, of course, so that offensive talent drops. With someone like ARob in the 80s, you could be making a ridiculously stacked offensive lineup!

To be clear, I was specifically citing why Khalil Mack makes sense. With middle linebackers, the difference between the #5 and #20 guy is marginal and there is a huge level of variance from year to year.

But you could easily make the case for Kuechly early before concussions became a concern. He was consistently a top tier player.

In a league where sacks are scored like touchdowns, having the best, young edge rusher in your lineup to slot as a DL is a huge positional advantage, both short term and long term.

In the charity league, guys were drafting defensive players in the first round because it was a viable draft strategy.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

pubic works project posted:

What I really want to know is if Tyler Higbee's SPARQ score makes him injury prone against a tough strength of schedule.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RisqueBarber posted:

It's something I've been meaning to do, but it would basically require me to rewrite... everything.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

pubic works project posted:

We could go back to page after page after page of Perkinschat

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Spoeank posted:

We could go back to page after page after page of Perkinschat

Okay okay! Sorry!!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
It's July, what the hell else is this thread for? Anyone uninterested in inane arguments wouldn't be here!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

I've been tasked with doing sleeper, breakout/bounceback and bust articles for each team and I'm stuck on the Bears because there are exactly 3 players being drafted and I'm not insane enough to call Jordan Howard a bust

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spoeank posted:

I've been tasked with doing sleeper, breakout/bounceback and bust articles for each team and I'm stuck on the Bears because there are exactly 3 players being drafted and I'm not insane enough to call Jordan Howard a bust

I guess talk about the UDFAs?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

I guess talk about the UDFAs?

It's for fantasy though.

It's a marry/gently caress/kill situation. Maybe I just call Kevin White a bust but then I have to put Jordan Howard as a breakout and Cam Meredith as a sleeper.

It's all so annoying. Why do you gotta be like this bears

edit: gently caress it I'm pro-rating Wheaton per game stats and calling him a sleeper who cares

Edit: Wheaton not Wright

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 13, 2017

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
Have Kevin White be the sleeper and Meredith the bust, because that's probably the only way you can finish the article whether you believe it's true or not. (It's probably not)

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

coronaball posted:

Have Kevin White be the sleeper and Meredith the bust, because that's probably the only way you can finish the article whether you believe it's true or not. (It's probably not)

But then Howard is a breakout. None of this works!

Sleeper: Wheaton (lol I dont buy this lol)
Breakout: Meredith
Bust: Kevin White

I did it. Fuckin finally.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Connor Barth is the sleeper yo
he is poised to break out (because the bears will be unable to finish drives)

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Spoeank posted:

But then Howard is a breakout. None of this works!

Sleeper: Wheaton (lol I dont buy this lol)
Bust: Kevin White

I did it. Fuckin finally.

Howard can still be the breakout. He was the number two NFL RB last season, despite only starting 13? games. Yeah, he was a low end RB1, but he'll finish the year as a top three fantasy running back.

Kevin White is an ideal sleeper candidate at his ADP, because he's not been on the field due to injuries, but he was showing signs every game he played and the Bears letting Alshon walk shows they are committed to him. He'll be the number one by default, so it's a very high upside play with minimal risk.

Bust is your playoff hopes after you willingly draft players from the Chicago Bears to fill out your fantasy roster. :v:

There's your article!

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
How can a guy with a 13th round ADP be a bust?

That's the problem, all the Bears players that are being drafted are deserving of their ADP. Howard is a low-end RB1 that goes in round 2. Meredith is a small sample size WR2/flex as the (maybe) #1 receiver on a bad team with bad QBs. White is a flier who has done nothing in the rare instances he was healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Sleeper: that tight end they drafted
Bust: Howard and White

• Locked thread