Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

EVEN BETTER NEWS:

edit: actually so are CB-1's, and they're 63 bucks right now: https://www.amazon.com/Status-Audio...2&keywords=m40x

Get the CB=1s. They are fantastic.

They are kinda fugly IMO but they are comfortable and sound great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

EVEN BETTER NEWS:

M40x for $75: https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Techni...1&keywords=m40x

believe me, save your money and get the 40's, they're better in every way.

edit: actually so are CB-1's, and they're 63 bucks right now: https://www.amazon.com/Status-Audio...2&keywords=m40x

Could you elaborate on that? I grabbed the m50x for around the house 'phones but if there's a better cheaper option...

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

catch22 posted:

Could you elaborate on that? I grabbed the m50x for around the house 'phones but if there's a better cheaper option...

I and many others find the exaggerated bass on the 50's flabby and boomy, and the highs are right on the edge of screechy. The M40x has neither of these problems and is very neutral yet pleasing. I think they tried to make the M50's "exciting" and failed horribly.

The CB-1 is actually a better buy, I think, than either. They sound pretty much exactly like the 40's, except the stock pads are extremely comfy and you don't have to replace them within 5 minutes of owning them. People complain about the CB-1 being ugly, but honestly I think all three are equivalently ugly. The CB-1 and M40x sound amazing for the price though.

GashouseGorilla
Nov 11, 2011

Would the CB-1's sound better/feel better than the Samson SR950's (my current pair that I like)?

I've found I'm liking the neutral sound more and more. Normal use like music, gaming, movies, podcasts, etc.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GashouseGorilla posted:

Would the CB-1's sound better/feel better than the Samson SR950's (my current pair that I like)?

I've found I'm liking the neutral sound more and more. Normal use like music, gaming, movies, podcasts, etc.

I'd say yes. They might fit a little more snug on your head but they are very comfortable.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I and many others find the exaggerated bass on the 50's flabby and boomy, and the highs are right on the edge of screechy. The M40x has neither of these problems and is very neutral yet pleasing. I think they tried to make the M50's "exciting" and failed horribly.

The CB-1 is actually a better buy, I think, than either. They sound pretty much exactly like the 40's, except the stock pads are extremely comfy and you don't have to replace them within 5 minutes of owning them. People complain about the CB-1 being ugly, but honestly I think all three are equivalently ugly. The CB-1 and M40x sound amazing for the price though.

Thanks. Canceled m50x and picked up a pair of CB-1s

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

catch22 posted:

Thanks. Canceled m50x and picked up a pair of CB-1s

Cool man, they're great headphones. M50x aren't terrible but they're definitely not as good, especially for twice the price. There are plenty of better "fun" headphone options if you want something less neutral down the road, or you could just EQ the CB-1s to your taste.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

GashouseGorilla posted:

Definitely yes. I've owned the Superlux model that yours are a clone of, and the CB-1s are a step up in every department, especially comfort.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Cool man, they're great headphones. M50x aren't terrible but they're definitely not as good, especially for twice the price. There are plenty of better "fun" headphone options if you want something less neutral down the road, or you could just EQ the CB-1s to your taste.

If you're spending the money on a pair of closed backed headphones, I much prefer the M70x over the 40 or 50. Bonus: mine came with a very nice carry case and a shitton of cables.

If you're trying to spend ALL the money, those massdrop TH-x00 are an excellent way to accomplish just that.

If you're trying not to spend all the money then the CB-1s are really good. I made my drummer buddy buy them on the recommendation of this thread. He says they're "too isolating." I think he's just "special" and found them to be just right.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 12, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

If you're spending the money on a pair of closed backed headphones, I much prefer the M70x over the 40 or 50. Bonus: mine came with a very nice carry case and a shitton of cables.

I do too, certainly on a comfort level, but you gotta REALLY REALLY like treble cans. Like, if you listen to Grados and think "yknow what these highs are nice but I want to feel like someone is banging a closed hi-hat as hard as they can directly in front of my face" then the 70s are for you.

Though, if you have around $300 to spend on headphones and don't already own the monoprice 1060s, the M70x are off the table unless you absolutely need closed, portable-ish cans. Frankly, even then I'd scrounge up another hundo for the Oppo PM-3 or try and find them used.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I do too, certainly on a comfort level, but you gotta REALLY REALLY like treble cans. Like, if you listen to Grados and think "yknow what these highs are nice but I want to feel like someone is banging a closed hi-hat as hard as they can directly in front of my face" then the 70s are for you.

Though, if you have around $300 to spend on headphones and don't already own the monoprice 1060s, the M70x are off the table unless you absolutely need closed, portable-ish cans. Frankly, even then I'd scrounge up another hundo for the Oppo PM-3 or try and find them used.

I actually bought the M70x in a package deal with a focusrite scarlett and samson big diaphragm mic and mount kit for about $300. It was a screaming good deal and the only reason I found it in the first place was because I was shopping for headphones to travel with me to Mexico. I usually do computer stuff at home with my 598se just because they're so drat comfy and my other headphones are strewn about the house connected to various AMPs or hanging in random places where I've forgotten them.
Some people disagree that the M70x travels well, but if I keep it in the case then it's really well protected. If I'm wearing them then they're not intrusive (even if just around my neck) like the larger banded and less forgiving 50x.
I find myself using them when I'm out and about too. I just keep them in the case and toss them in my truck. Wear them when I'm walking to the grocery store or whatever. Sometimes I just plug them into my phone and do poo poo around the house, wear them in the garage when I'm working on bikes or whatever. They're really good if I've got air tools going because they block out a fair amount of noise. I'm supremely happy with them now, but If I didn't get such a good deal on them in the fist place I probably wouldn't have ever given them a shot.

As for the treble; that's pretty spot on. They were loving painful when I first got them. After a lot of listening I think they've mellowed out considerably.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
They aren't as nicely priced but the ATH-MSR7s from that same lineup are pretty amazing. For sale prices though - don't pay full price for them.

Definitely not neutral though and if you raise them above normal listening volumes to rock out with the nice sub bass then the treble will kill you :v:

They went to a family member in the end but still have fond memories of them.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

FYI - Bose's eBay store has Bose-refurbished QC35's for $260 right now.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I got the Sony 950XB bluetooth headphones in the Prime Day sale and they are hilariously bass heavy. What's less hilarious is that they don't fit me comfortably so they're going back. Once you dial down the MEGA EXTREME BASS EFFECT they're not bad but none of that matters if they don't feel good. What I'd really like is ones that fit like my old wired MDR-1Rs, the more expensive Sonys like the MDR-1000X look similar, I should probably find a place to try them on though.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Ok,

after a couple of months with the Audeze LCD3s I have to say that I really love these headphones. I am finding myself mostly using these over the HD800s, which I switch in for piano, classical, and orchestral music.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

ntan1 posted:

Ok,

after a couple of months with the Audeze LCD3s I have to say that I really love these headphones. I am finding myself mostly using these over the HD800s, which I switch in for piano, classical, and orchestral music.

I appreciate the update. I've been wondering how you like them. How's the comfort level? Can you wear them and move around and do stuff like dig through records? Are they good / not distracting for non-critical listening?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
They are very definitely heavier than the HD800s, but still extremely comfortable. I especially like the ear pads, which are quiet soft. I can move around in them for sure.

For non-critical listening, these headphones have a better sound signature than the HD800s. The reason is that the HD800s are extremely revealing and badly recorded albums sound *extremely* bad on them. The LCD3s hide poor music a bit behind its bass, but one way or another you will still see issues with badly recorded music. Just not nearly as bad as the HD800s.

Honestly, for very non-critical listening I'd go for one of the cheaper options like the HD650s.

I also had the opportunity to test out the LCD4s. The conclusion I came to was that the LCD4s were essentially the LCD3s with a slightly more clear bass (somewhat marginal), but the clarity of the HD800s. The LCD4s also had a more open soundstage, and stronger highs, without the "muddy mids" that orchestral music reveals in the LCD3. That being said, I'd probably be looking into Abyss or STAX if I ever decided to upgrade instead of the LCD4s, as I suspect those are stronger headphones.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ntan1 posted:

Ok,

Is the headband plush on the LCD? Odd question I realize but I'm all about soft cushions on the bits that touch my head.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
The cushions are very very soft (same leather as the pads) and plush in my opinion, but the actual headband isn't very thick.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ntan1 posted:

The cushions are very very soft (same leather as the pads) and plush in my opinion, but the actual headband isn't very thick.

Good to know, thanks. I don't care about weight but I do care about cushioning.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Monoprice M560 are on sale for $170, if you need headphones for travel get these.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

NewFatMike posted:

Monoprice M560 are on sale for $170, if you need headphones for travel get these.

While the m560s are great (got some a couple weeks ago), I dunno if I would call them travel headphones. They're still pretty huge and heavy, and they don't hold onto your head very tight so they feel like they'll fall off if you move too much.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ah I meant like sit in an airplane for 15 hours and not hear other people/have them not hear you, especially since they don't need an amp or anything. A little ungainly for a commute, I'd agree

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's now been 3 years since I got my ATH-AD900X and these things are still awesome, functional and not broken unlike the original version which was designed to crack.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Has anyone ever sent their headphones into Audiotechnica for a warranty repair before? The right hinge on my M40xs snapped tonight and I’ve still got a couple months of warranty left. The repair process looks pretty painless, but it’d be nice to calibrate my expectations with some actual lived experience.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

So, uh, I don't need anything fancy, just need a headset with a mic in the $45-60 range. Any recommendations?

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
I've finally decided I'm going to send my Koss porta pros in for repair since they have a lifetime warranty. I live in Europe so I never bothered but since I'm in the US until the 29th of August I've decided to see if I can get it done. Do I need to send it in with the original box or receipt or do I just send them in an envelope or something?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's a form on their website. It will tell you what you need to include. When I've sent stuff in, I've just stuffed it in an envelope.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Wizgot posted:

I've finally decided I'm going to send my Koss porta pros in for repair since they have a lifetime warranty. I live in Europe so I never bothered but since I'm in the US until the 29th of August I've decided to see if I can get it done. Do I need to send it in with the original box or receipt or do I just send them in an envelope or something?

You should call them and make sure they can get them back to you before you leave. Warranty stuff can take a while sometimes.

If you're near Koss HQ, from what I hear you can just walk in to the lobby and they'll just swap them for you pretty much instantly.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Skippy McPants posted:

So, uh, I don't need anything fancy, just need a headset with a mic in the $45-60 range. Any recommendations?

Also consider a desktop or monitor mounted mic.

https://www.amazon.com/Samson-Conne...ords=samson+mic

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Don Lapre posted:

Also consider a desktop or monitor mounted mic.

https://www.amazon.com/Samson-Conne...ords=samson+mic

That cost almost as much as his entire budget.

While a separate mic and headset is the better option sometimes its a real faff and an all in one is easier. The Kingston Hyper-x has a good rep and my other half has good things to say for the Asus Cerberus

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

You should call them and make sure they can get them back to you before you leave. Warranty stuff can take a while sometimes.

If you're near Koss HQ, from what I hear you can just walk in to the lobby and they'll just swap them for you pretty much instantly.

I just called them. They told me it takes from 1-2 weeks depending on if they have the product in stock.The porta pros that I have are the 25th anniversary edition that I got a long time ago. I really doubt they have them anymore and I was wondering if on the note I write I could ask to just switch them out with a normal pair to save time.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I received my HD650s, and they have mostly been great, but the clamp force is making them quite uncomfortable - to the point where I am considering returning them. Is there something of similar quality, but more comfortable? I am coming from a pair of DT770s, which have been extremely comfortable - to the point where I often forget I am wearing them an hour after I've stopped listening to something. I'd have stuck with the beyerdynamic for the comfort, but the 880 and 990 seem like they would be more of a sidegrade, while the DT1990 is almost double the price of the HD650.

Would the Fidelio X2 be more comfortable than the HD650? I tried to bend back the mettle part of the headband on the HD650, and comfort wise it went from a 2/10 to a 6/10 - so a definite improvement, but not on the level of my 770s (which I would rank as a 9.5/10 om comfort).

edit: If I were prepared to step up in price, would something like the DT1990 or Amiron Home be a good purchase? The HD700 is cheaper, but from what I've read clamps as much if not more than the 650.

TyrantWD fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 18, 2017

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I had a big problem with them too coming from the ultra comfy 598s.

1. The clamp helps the bass.

2. It gets more comfortable after a couple weeks. My favorite pair of cans now.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TyrantWD posted:

I received my HD650s, and they have mostly been great, but the clamp force is making them quite uncomfortable - to the point where I am considering returning them. Is there something of similar quality, but more comfortable? I am coming from a pair of DT770s, which have been extremely comfortable - to the point where I often forget I am wearing them an hour after I've stopped listening to something. I'd have stuck with the beyerdynamic for the comfort, but the 880 and 990 seem like they would be more of a sidegrade, while the DT1990 is almost double the price of the HD650.

Would the Fidelio X2 be more comfortable than the HD650? I tried to bend back the mettle part of the headband on the HD650, and comfort wise it went from a 2/10 to a 6/10 - so a definite improvement, but not on the level of my 770s (which I would rank as a 9.5/10 om comfort).

edit: If I were prepared to step up in price, would something like the DT1990 or Amiron Home be a good purchase? The HD700 is cheaper, but from what I've read clamps as much if not more than the 650.

How do you feel about treble? Beyerdynamics are generally comfy as hell but the Amirons have similar frequency response to a more well behaved DT990.

(which is something I should maybe look into one day because I loved the DT990 but couldn't live with them because the treble was skull piercing if you turned the volume up)

Alternatively, for free, you can loosen the HD600 series clamp a ton by very carefully bending the fully extended only metal bands right in the middle. DO NOT put any stress on the plastic part of the headband or the cups.
I did this to my 600s and they went from a skull vice to a soft relaxing gentle cushion.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 18, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

TyrantWD posted:

The DT1990 are not a significant upgrade from the 650, they are just very different sounding. You don't need new headphones though.

Find something wider than your head.

Put headphones on thing.

Wait.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
if any gamery type people are looking for a dac/amp, mayflower is coming out with this thing: https://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/shop/mayflower-custom-products/arc/

which looks like the supreme combo for neckbeards who stick modmics on their HD650s.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

if any gamery type people are looking for a dac/amp, mayflower is coming out with this thing: https://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/shop/mayflower-custom-products/arc/

which looks like the supreme combo for neckbeards who stick modmics on their HD650s.

Not with that output impedence and only a single watt at max.

Be pretty great with more modern & efficient stuff though.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Why would the gamery type get that for $250 when they can do a Schiit stack for less?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Is the Schiit stack all it's hyped up to be? I'm about to pull the trigger on a Micca Origen+ to power my small PC speakers and HD598s but I could be convinced to spring for the stack.