Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

the_american_dream posted:

Ok honey.

Alansmithee i think it was you who shared a similar love of jean g with me what do you think of rapsody

She's not bad. Her voice is a bit rough for me (i know dudes probably gonna get all mad but it's hard for me to get into female rappers with more "hard" or rough voices). Her actual rapping is def good though.

If you haven't checked it out, Telefone by Noname is a great album-it really reminds me of something Chance would've made had he not quite had his head up his own rear end so much.

And yeah there's some solid RnB stuff coming out now. As some people mentioned the Sza album's good. But for newer stuff I tend towards liking more "hybrid" stuff (like the stand4rd, jet age of tomorrow, or even some UK stuff like James Blake that sounds more like rnb than second-wave dubstep or w/e it's classified as).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I've been meaning to listen to noname so ill check that out. H.E.R vol2 is good as well

Very old head of me to say even though I'm barely in my 30s but I'm still here for 90s r&b over current. Couldn't agree more with what i read somewhere, missing when r&b and rap were distinguishable and didn't have the same fuckin lyrics

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Y'all ain't listening to Dopp Hopp? Y'all too busy loving dolls or something?

Already posted this once. I think they are getting better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6TMNsz_1Lw

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Very old head of me to say even though I'm barely in my 30s but I'm still here for 90s r&b over current. Couldn't agree more with what i read somewhere, missing when r&b and rap were distinguishable and didn't have the same fuckin lyrics
I miss when R&B was about love and poo poo and not fuckboi stunts. Hoes ain't loyal isn't a love song. R&B singers are pop now.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
So uuuhmmm, soundcloud rappers is soon about to become an outdated denominator, what else is there, datpiff?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They could start moving to Bandcamp

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Bandcamp gives somewhat more of a care about copyright, so SoundCloud rappers are going to have get serious about paying producers then too.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'm kinda with you on that, and I've said for awhile that in many ways rap pretty much ate r&b as a separate entity. Like lots of dudes tend to go on about rap's "golden age" being the 90s or whatever but if anything the r&b of that era was what was really great. Although I dig a lot of 70's/80's stuff too (and for awhile I was really big into new jack swing, even though that's pretty much the point rap started absorbing r&b).

But even with all that there's still some solid dudes making good music and taking the genre in new directions. Like I really do dig a lot of the more colder/darker production (thinking dudes like The Weeknd and similar stuff). Although you could say that a lot of that is less actual r&b and more ambient/electronic/rap production with singing over it so idk.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Soundcloud better pray that there's an angel investor who really loves Lil Pump

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Rip xxx

Rip lil pump

Rip ski mask

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
lmao

https://twitter.com/mistydemeo/status/885524525097525251

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I interviewed there last year lol their takehome assignment was laughably long I told them to gently caress off

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

alansmithee posted:

I'm kinda with you on that, and I've said for awhile that in many ways rap pretty much ate r&b as a separate entity. Like lots of dudes tend to go on about rap's "golden age" being the 90s or whatever but if anything the r&b of that era was what was really great. Although I dig a lot of 70's/80's stuff too (and for awhile I was really big into new jack swing, even though that's pretty much the point rap started absorbing r&b).

But even with all that there's still some solid dudes making good music and taking the genre in new directions. Like I really do dig a lot of the more colder/darker production (thinking dudes like The Weeknd and similar stuff). Although you could say that a lot of that is less actual r&b and more ambient/electronic/rap production with singing over it so idk.

i was gonna say that the best stuff out rn would be something like weeknd/dvsn/sampha/kelala/fka twigs/dawn but all of those people are probably closer to edm. that said, i think the solange sisters both released what could be considered typical rnb albums (edit: besides some of the weird country stuff/whatever on lemonade) that were really really good.

i still listen to voodoo front to back at least once a week. anyone got any other favorites?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
It's sad that SoundCloud was the best platform for independent artists because it really has a terrible UI and a staggering lack of features and services for actual paying customers.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Rip xxx

Rip lil pump

Rip ski mask

Rest in piss

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Blame lovely podcasts for soundclouds demise, not lovely rappers.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

temple posted:

Blame lovely podcasts for soundclouds demise, not lovely rappers.

Oh not just having everything up essentially for free?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Oh not just having everything up essentially for free?

There are ways to monetize this

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Bob NewSCART posted:

Yeah they always had some paid model and then they tried going a Spotify route

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Bob NewSCART posted:

Podcasts didn't destroy SC, its their lovely model of charging content providers and consumers for what exactly? They treated SC like a pure streaming service and while yah that's a big part of it, that was never the original mission.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

You guys are thinking harder about sound cloud than the creators ever did.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

No wonder Earl Sweatshirt always sounds so down, Frank and Tyler wanting to hit different kinds of clubs.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Part of what destroyed SC is the fact that they kept spending money on stupid poo poo like luxury office ballpits or whatever like every startup does

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
New Tyler is good, has a more mature sound compared to his earlier works although it still has all the melancholy jazzyness going on. This has been my jam today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxlBOBOZHqI

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

temple posted:

You guys are thinking harder about sound cloud than the creators ever did.

I know its pointless but gently caress. I started using SC almost as soon as it came out and in the beginning I was excited about the incredible potential it had. Watching it slowly deteriorate into its state today has left me a bit jaded because I don't understand how you could gently caress it up this badly.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

By hosting a poo poo ton of copyright music

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Quantum of Phallus posted:

By hosting a poo poo ton of copyright music

No, it's from not making money. They could have very easily done that if they weren't dumbasses, while still having a poo poo ton of copyright music

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
SoundCloud is the epitome of the "Phase 2: ??? -> Phase 3: Profit!" meme.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

bef posted:

New Tyler is good, has a more mature sound compared to his earlier works although it still has all the melancholy jazzyness going on. This has been my jam today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxlBOBOZHqI

Yeah. Boredom is awesome. The backend from 911 onwards is great. I only skip Dropping Seeds cause I do not give a shot about that Wayne verse.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Kanye really started that whole light orange album background huh

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/chancetherapper/status/885561915577126912

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction
On another note,

2017 is seriously one of the best rap years in a long rear end time and we aren't even done. I don't regret any of my purchases and I have everything from Young Thug to a loving 47 year old Jay-z album on the list.

Plus if poo poo like Pusha T (YEA RIGHT) and the Fab/Jadakiss album come out, i'm going to be drowning in riches mang

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
it's been a good year for music overall so far, and last year set a high bar. but rap especially yeah

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Chance is better at charity than making full albums I wanna listen to.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

GoldfishStew posted:

Kanye really started that whole light orange album background huh

No, he just stole it from fashion like almost everything else he does

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Ha is that true? I first noticed it on Pablo and now Jay and Tyler. That's funny.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Heron Preston, Virgil Abloh(off-white), and Bari(Vlone) have been loving with the Orange colorways heavy for the past little while and all those 3, at least imo, influence this weird hybrid of fashion and rap that's been really popular quite a bit

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Face down rear end up that's the way they found me. RIP Fresh Kid Ice.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Virgil is Kanye's creative director so that's not really surprising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
if push drops an album this year I'll buy the first person to quote this a real doll of their choice