Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

Charles Bukowski posted:

Lol. SPAIS!!!

Oh no a spai stole my fishing boat. SEVER ALLIANCE

Spying is probably some of the most fun to be had in a game like this... its legit like roleplaying an episode of the americans everytime you log onto albion or discord:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UC1rs09IK1I3yQWaHISzz4YQ

I'll go ahead and say it here, first goon to loot a guild bank(non Awful Company, sorry Awful Citizen) on video will get 10k gold... whether or not its a big enemy target or a small guy, it will be worth it for propaganda purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

FormerFatty posted:

Mumble has 3 advantages over discord voip:

1. It has better security for tracking spies and turning your IPs over to the russians
2. It allows for cross channel comms(whisper/shouts) during large PVP ops -- if youre using discord, you will have an alliance of 100 people in 1 channel, in mumble we will have 5 channels with 20 people each and callers communicating with eachother cross channel.
3. Its still newer technology than Roger Wilco

We still use discord like its 1998 and we're on IRC.... UO men are stuck in the past.

1. IPs are meaningless in the day and age of VMs and free VPNs or free 30 day trials of commercial VPNs. Plus thanks to VPNs commonly being used to bypass steam release dates many gamers are quite familiar with setting them up. It's minimal effort for me to fire up a VPN on m VM and be online from 2 distinctly different IPs at the same time using my non VPN'd IP for gaming thus suffering zero performance impact from using a dirt cheap/free VPN for voice. In all seriousness if that is really the concern, you are going to do better tapping into the Goon Discord Network and using their bot to force anyone to have an SA account to give them the most basic perms and then further auth people with SA accounts as you see fit.

2. Between that and locking out push to talk keys I actually concede that that is functionality that is missing in Discord - with that said I have only ever seen it effectively used in large ARMA3, Planetside 2 and of course EVE Online. There are currently some wonky ways around it using multiple accounts on Discord and multiple instnaces via webapp/desktop client but obviously that's far from ideal, it's an odd function to be missing given that Discord Devs are currently able to broadcast to multiple channels....

3. Is game good? I'm down to grief in a good finished game for a change.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

FileNotFound posted:

1. IPs are meaningless in the day and age of VMs and free VPNs or free 30 day trials of commercial VPNs. Plus thanks to VPNs commonly being used to bypass steam release dates many gamers are quite familiar with setting them up. It's minimal effort for me to fire up a VPN on m VM and be online from 2 distinctly different IPs at the same time using my non VPN'd IP for gaming thus suffering zero performance impact from using a dirt cheap/free VPN for voice. In all seriousness if that is really the concern, you are going to do better tapping into the Goon Discord Network and using their bot to force anyone to have an SA account to give them the most basic perms and then further auth people with SA accounts as you see fit.

No doubt its not the be all end all answer to security... but its better than what discord offers.

quote:

2. Between that and locking out push to talk keys I actually concede that that is functionality that is missing in Discord - with that said I have only ever seen it effectively used in large ARMA3, Planetside 2 and of course EVE Online. There are currently some wonky ways around it using multiple accounts on Discord and multiple instnaces via webapp/desktop client but obviously that's far from ideal, it's an odd function to be missing given that Discord Devs are currently able to broadcast to multiple channels....

This is the main reason we're using it -- the competitive advantage(lol, thanks $50k MBA program) we will get from PvPing with this will result in massive tears and lootbags for us to enjoy.

quote:

3. Is game good? I'm down to grief in a good finished game for a change.

Without having been tainted by how lovely the game apparently used to be, this game is legit well worth playing if you enjoy ganking people, looting them, while standing over their corpse calling them hurtful names :(

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
Hello im here to argue about mumble vs discord in the albion online thread and my reasons are walls of text about skills average joe does not possess like certificate spoofing and desire to gently caress a 250 man internet guild.

Thanks for reading

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FormerFatty posted:

Mumble has 3 advantages over discord voip:

1. It has better security for tracking spies and turning your IPs over to the russians
2. It allows for cross channel comms(whisper/shouts) during large PVP ops -- if youre using discord, you will have an alliance of 100 people in 1 channel, in mumble we will have 5 channels with 20 people each and callers communicating with eachother cross channel.
3. Its still newer technology than Roger Wilco

We still use discord like its 1998 and we're on IRC.... UO men are stuck in the past.

Given how many people this group has hosed over in games over the last 20 years, spies will probably be a thing.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

FormerFatty posted:

Without having been tainted by how lovely the game apparently used to be, this game is legit well worth playing if you enjoy ganking people, looting them, while standing over their corpse calling them hurtful names :(

How much money do I spend on griefing game? Do I buy the lowest tier? Is the $100 sperg pack worth it or should I pay the iron price for those? I'm hesitant to spend real money for things that I can lose or gain in game..

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

FileNotFound posted:

How much money do I spend on griefing game? Do I buy the lowest tier? Is the $100 sperg pack worth it or should I pay the iron price for those? I'm hesitant to spend real money for things that I can lose or gain in game..

If you can be on day 1(july 17th) and want to ensure maximum guild success(which means max pubbie tears) then get the $100 pack. You also get 3 months of premium, and like $75 worth of gold so it really is the best option if you can afford it and plan on playing the game for more than a week(which you should if you like making GBS threads on people in unfair scenarios).

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

FormerFatty posted:

Thank you for purchasing: Legendary Pack!

I regret this already.

Christopher
May 29, 2006
Forgot I was an epic founder for this game. And apparently I recruited 5 others who purchased the game. Guess I have no choice but to at least give it a fair shot at launch. It looks like their have been some good changes overall.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

forge posted:

while i laughed, i'm rather sure 90% of steam games are cash grabs never to be completed in forever early access.

A lot of the steam early access games I bought into actually gave me enough entertainment to be worthwhile, even if they smashed into the mountain. This abomination however kept changing and became so many different lovely things that I really maybe got an hour or two of actual nongrindy gameplay that was not suck.

Not at all near the $100 I am into it for.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 13, 2017

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
I recall getting bored of smashing rocks, but having lots of fun running around with goonies smashing heads. If I can do lots of the second and less of the first I'll be pretty happy.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I want to like or get into this game, it just looks so bad

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I want to like or get into this game, it just looks so bad

It probably is. Which is why I got it.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Hey, would like an auth, I'm Pulsarcat in Discord

futile
May 18, 2009
You either like to kill people and take their stuff or you don't.

The combat isn't the best but the players in this game are all super insecure because they think pressing 3 buttons in a game originally designed to be tablet friendly makes them MLG Dota superstars. They get really butthurt when they die and lose stuff or especially when they lose GvGs and territory.

Also funny stuff has happened like this:

https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/27824-BEST-TIPS-Looting-Auction-House-in-Cities-during-GvG-it-s-FREE/?pageNo=1

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Tip that was at least true in all the alphas and betas I played:

When the game first launches a bunch of idiots want to convert their gold to silver. If you can, go straight to farming mobs that drop silver and buy gold as soon as you pick it up to get the lowest price at the time. The price of gold shoots up pretty quickly and it becomes not worth your time within the first day, but you can buy a shitload of gold for 7-20 silver a piece in the first few hours and in a few days/weeks it will be worth 100-200+ silver a piece.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

FileNotFound posted:

1) you're dumb, the point is you can see someone using their vpn and recognize that if nothing else

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

1) you're dumb, the point is you can see someone using their vpn and recognize that if nothing else

I don't think you know how computers work. Either way - PM me if you want to argue about stupid poo poo further. Else I'm done.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 14, 2017

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Looking forward to the goon splintering 2 weeks into the game based on VOIP preference.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

BadLlama posted:

Looking forward to the goon splintering 2 weeks into the game based on VOIP preference.
Fearless leader told me that any splinters would be labeled traitors and destroyed with great prejudice and that coming from someone who played the same terrible lovely awful game for 20 years is pretty scary as I don't really question their dedication to their sperg of choice.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

D-Pad posted:

Tip that was at least true in all the alphas and betas I played:

When the game first launches a bunch of idiots want to convert their gold to silver. If you can, go straight to farming mobs that drop silver and buy gold as soon as you pick it up to get the lowest price at the time. The price of gold shoots up pretty quickly and it becomes not worth your time within the first day, but you can buy a shitload of gold for 7-20 silver a piece in the first few hours and in a few days/weeks it will be worth 100-200+ silver a piece.

well ackshually it's worth your time for the first (months) probably because in theory, over time, gold should always go up in value since it gets used on premium time. if you ever played eve you should understand

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

D-Pad posted:

a bunch of idiots want to convert their gold to silver

Those people are selling their gold immediately to afford land, which if you know what you're doing can also print silver. It is still a good idea to buy as much gold as you can as early as you can.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Baby T. Love posted:

Those people are selling their gold immediately to afford land, which if you know what you're doing can also print silver. It is still a good idea to buy as much gold as you can as early as you can.

Land is instanced right? So why the urgency? Is it so they can use land to make money to buy gold? What am I missing...

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

FileNotFound posted:

Land is instanced right? So why the urgency? Is it so they can use land to make money to buy gold? What am I missing...

Land is not instanced. Maybe you're thinking of private islands? These people are buying land in towns and charging for the use of the workshops.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Baby T. Love posted:

Land is not instanced. Maybe you're thinking of private islands? These people are buying land in towns and charging for the use of the workshops.

Can you resell this land later? How is price of land dictated at release as opposed to later?

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

FileNotFound posted:

Can you resell this land later? How is price of land dictated at release as opposed to later?

You won't be able to just buy the land later because it will all be bought and owned. There is some kind of bidding system for buying land that is already owned. I'm afraid I don't know that much about it.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Baby T. Love posted:

You won't be able to just buy the land later because it will all be bought and owned. There is some kind of bidding system for buying land that is already owned. I'm afraid I don't know that much about it.

Yeah I'm curious if the land or gold is the better investment.

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

FileNotFound posted:

Yeah I'm curious if the land or gold is the better investment.

If you don't know anything about the town plot system at this point, just buy gold with silver.

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!

BadLlama posted:

Looking forward to the goon splintering 2 weeks into the game based on *...*

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

same

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm looking forward to the goon slinpter guild because it'll give me a chance to play with the fun and chill goons rather than some of the spergy jackasses who try to sell bad t-shirts while doxxing people and are currently in the guild.

bigcracker
Jan 18, 2012
Should be interesting Monday. I do think the server will crash when the $30 packs get in though and when all the queues will happen.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

FileNotFound posted:

I don't think you know how computers work. Either way - PM me if you want to argue about stupid poo poo further. Else I'm done.

haha yeah i guess you're right, there is no reason to use anything other than discord. the tens of thousands of mumble and teamspeak servers still loaded with people must just be old people not with the times

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Can someone explain what changed about this game to make it suddenly enticing? I watched the video but idgi. I haven't played this, and while I like the idea behind the game it seemed really amateurish so I was yucking it up in the old thread.

Are there concrete things that have changed to make it genuinely a game that should be looked at? Or is this just the standard Release Retardation Syndrome that makes people buy bad games for no other reason than they are releasing?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I assume the Goons who are taking part in the land rush are going to be grabbing land to use for guild workbenches etc. right?

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

2DCAT posted:

I'm looking forward to the goon slinpter guild because it'll give me a chance to play with the fun and chill goons rather than some of the spergy jackasses who try to sell bad t-shirts while doxxing people and are currently in the guild.

Are you comparing me to AwfulCitizen? If I ever turn into that, I would hope that Archersnon(the spiritual leader) would replace me as the GM of Awful Company.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

FormerFatty posted:

Are you comparing me to AwfulCitizen? If I ever turn into that, I would hope that Archersnon(the spiritual leader) would replace me as the GM of Awful Company.

No, you're cool and chill imo :hfive:

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

Fog Tripper posted:

A lot of the steam early access games I bought into actually gave me enough entertainment to be worthwhile, even if they smashed into the mountain. This abomination however kept changing and became so many different lovely things that I really maybe got an hour or two of actual nongrindy gameplay that was not suck.

Not at all near the $100 I am into it for.

Having only played the version of the game that came out in late June, I can say that the game is not bad at all, especially if youre into UO/darkfall/EVE type games where you can kill people with unfair odds, take their poo poo, and drink their tears. If this sounds fun to you -- Albion is one of the few games out there that lets you do this. Bonus points for liking league of legends/MOBA style comabt as that is 90% of what the PVP is.

If you already spent the $100, you may as well login in day 1 and play -- or give us your gold in exchange for archersnon sound clips

fadam posted:

I assume the Goons who are taking part in the land rush are going to be grabbing land to use for guild workbenches etc. right?

Goons who are able to play day 1, get guilded up, and join us on the day 1 rush for land will be forever memorialized as the pioneers of our empire in Albion. Special shout out also goes out to all the goons who explored in beta and Lewis and Clark'd it up so they could learn the game to prepare for the great rush.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

FileNotFound posted:

A black zone territory is one of the rarest and most coveted items in the game... thats the true goal for day 1 #OpSecTho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
So those of us that bought the various levels of founders packs back in the day start with premium or w/e on our day 1's? I thought someone here said they were moving away from a subscription/paid tier service?