Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Those triggers are... man. "When you take action and the stakes are high?" So, any time it's worth rolling for something at all?

Also, I get that those move names are all references, but they also all suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
As someone who playtested...ugh. They weren't this bad before.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
That reads very much like someone went and wrote down some moves, then had an "oh oops this thing happened during play, let me expand this wording to allow for that situation/add a caveat to prevent that thing" and then kept doing that. Those moves are both way too wordy and way too vague at the same time, and also the stat distribution on those moves is all over the dang place. The whole thing needs a hard editing pass, and the editor needs to go at it with a pair of shears.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

mllaneza posted:

The KS for Happiest Apocalypse on Earth. I was about to drop $10 on PDFs when,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3clxzhhz2mhk9r/HAoE-Character-Sheet.pdf?dl=0

Then Basic Moves happened. None of those have proper Triggers at all ! What is this ? Is there a good reason for it ?

Never back a game without a public demo.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I keep creating Monsterhearts characters that aren't what the skin is supposed to be about and it's becoming such a pattern that it's starting to bother me.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Ask your GM about whipping up a custom move

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

paradoxGentleman posted:

I keep creating Monsterhearts characters that aren't what the skin is supposed to be about and it's becoming such a pattern that it's starting to bother me.

Are we talking "different interpretations of the skin," or are we talking "the idiom of one skin in the mechanics of another?" I don't think it's crazy to interpret a skin in a way that isn't the obvious one, but it might be good to think about how you're approaching things if you keep coming up with stuff that feels like an awkward fit.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I backed based on the AP on Plus One Forward and am definitely hoping that's an old draft.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Antivehicular posted:

Are we talking "different interpretations of the skin," or are we talking "the idiom of one skin in the mechanics of another?" I don't think it's crazy to interpret a skin in a way that isn't the obvious one, but it might be good to think about how you're approaching things if you keep coming up with stuff that feels like an awkward fit.

The two biggies were a Serpentine that was possessive... of someone who didn't like them all that much, and so was pretty much a stalker ('ve been told she'd work better as a Mortal) and an Infernal who is actually trying to escape the bonds of servitude with his infernal patron; no temptation there, he's pretty much an hostage.

It's just so frustrating, you know? I haven't recognized these problems before we were into the campaign itself, and that suuuucks.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

While we're talking Monsterhearts character concepts, which skin would you use for a nerdy, quiet outcast that's secretly a giant praying mantis? The player wants to go for "not fitting in with people" along with "secretly really dangerous", which says Ghoul or maybe Ghost to me.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The werewolf is the skin for radical transformation and the urge to violence. Ghouls aren't very good at being shy.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Jimmeeee posted:

While we're talking Monsterhearts character concepts, which skin would you use for a nerdy, quiet outcast that's secretly a giant praying mantis? The player wants to go for "not fitting in with people" along with "secretly really dangerous", which says Ghoul or maybe Ghost to me.

You could also look at the Sasquatch. A Sasquatch with some Werewolf moves or vice versa.

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017
What are your thoughts on Sagas of the Icelanders?

My friends really like it (even more so than AW), and while I also found it good, it felt kinda "beta" to me. While it's core seems well done (the honor and gender moves rock) some playbook moves feel rushed, and the playing structure felt fragile/like it needs a conscious effort from the group to direct play to the kind of stupidly violent PvP intense stories we see in the sagas proper. It really screams for a second edition IMHO.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Jimmeeee posted:

The Serpentine could work as well, if the whole thing with family fits the character too.

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017
How do you handle direct/violent PvP when it happens? Ask both players to roll simultaneously (and apply results simultaneously), or one after another (while the defender hinder the attacker's roll through Hx/Bonds/Strings/etc) ?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Depends on your game, but there's generally a result on attack moves that leads to the other person getting the hit in and dealing their harm, so just play it out. If one person says they attack the other, that person rolls.

Just have the conversation, nothing changes.

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017

ShineDog posted:

Depends on your game, but there's generally a result on attack moves that leads to the other person getting the hit in and dealing their harm, so just play it out. If one person says they attack the other, that person rolls.

Just have the conversation, nothing changes.
Yeah, this is how we do it. It's pretty simple really. It's just that there's this reflex of "combat rounds" ingrained so much on us, and we end up feeling uncomfortable when things deviate.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

lessavini posted:

How do you handle direct/violent PvP when it happens? Ask both players to roll simultaneously (and apply results simultaneously), or one after another (while the defender hinder the attacker's roll through Hx/Bonds/Strings/etc) ?

Not sure which edition you're using, but 2nd has a pretty clear PC vs PC section that clears things up. In short it says if they're both trying to violently achieve the same goal at odds with each other just have them both roll Seize by Force and compare results with like results (inflict terrible harm vs take little harm for example) cancelling each other out, or if it's just a plain old fight where both sides are aware and want to get in there and mix it up there's the Single Combat move.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Rewrote the Telepath, both to tighten up its themes and to make it work mechanically with Monsterhearts 2.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I've been working on a hack called Dragon Ball Parallels, which is specifically to emulate everyone's favourite punchmans soap opera. So, ha ha, there's no chance this will ever be for sale or even produced in a professional capacity, but I'm taking what I've learned here and putting it towards future projects.

A few notes: yes, I'm keenly aware that I've basically copied a bunch of the explanatory text from Dungeon World for the how-to-play section. I'll go back and rewrite it all later, for now I just needed some way of explaining the system to any PBTA-newbies who might be playtesting it.

Also there's a bunch of headers in the setting fluff section which just have "?" underneath. That's placeholder text so my formatting doesn't get hosed up, I'm filling those in as I go along. Believe it or not, there's a poo poo ton of material I need to adapt and, more frequently than you think, make up wholesale.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Fuego Fish posted:

I've been working on a hack called Dragon Ball Parallels, which is specifically to emulate everyone's favourite punchmans soap opera. So, ha ha, there's no chance this will ever be for sale or even produced in a professional capacity, but I'm taking what I've learned here and putting it towards future projects.

A few notes: yes, I'm keenly aware that I've basically copied a bunch of the explanatory text from Dungeon World for the how-to-play section. I'll go back and rewrite it all later, for now I just needed some way of explaining the system to any PBTA-newbies who might be playtesting it.

Also there's a bunch of headers in the setting fluff section which just have "?" underneath. That's placeholder text so my formatting doesn't get hosed up, I'm filling those in as I go along. Believe it or not, there's a poo poo ton of material I need to adapt and, more frequently than you think, make up wholesale.

Gotta say, it's a really impressive amount of work. I know I'd be up for a game.

On feedback, though, I haven't really gone super deep into it, but one thing that jumps out at me is "Let The Villain Die" doesn't really make sense as a MC move. It sounds like literally the opposite a MC move should be, since it slows things down instead of ramping them up and giving people more things to respond to.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Capfalcon posted:

Gotta say, it's a really impressive amount of work. I know I'd be up for a game.

On feedback, though, I haven't really gone super deep into it, but one thing that jumps out at me is "Let The Villain Die" doesn't really make sense as a MC move. It sounds like literally the opposite a MC move should be, since it slows things down instead of ramping them up and giving people more things to respond to.

It's because enemies can either not take any hits (the minions) or they can take a theoretically infinite amount of hits (the villains). Nobody wants to see the big bad guy get clocked by a random punch and be defeated that way. They want a gigantic Spirit Bomb, or everyone to combine their strongest beam attacks. Which means that "the villain dies" has to be a MC move. It's not slowing things down, it's letting everything come to a dramatic climax.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Huh. Looks like the stretch goal sourcebook for Uncharted Worlds dropped. I'd forgotten that even happened until I got a code in my email for it. Adds a bunch of new backgrounds for more space-opera-esque stuff.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

How is Uncharted Worlds? I remember seeing the early drafts and not really being impressed, but I don't know what it's like now.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
You know that one "What if we split all the playbooks down to their moves and let you build your own" DW sourcebook? That, only as a sci-fi RPG. Right down to 'build your own gear outta tags'.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Hey, I've been working layout on my hack, Friendship, Effort, Victory, and I'm curious how it looks so far. It's very spartan at the moment, but I'm new to layout. What do y'all think? You can find it here. It's in spread format so zoom-out.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Fuego Fish posted:

Hey, I've been reading through this. I like how you've set up the power mechanic, it really seems to emulate how the heroes of the show get their fight on, and I can definitely see people around the table doing a bit of shouting as they play through. Have you given any thought to running a playtest?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Covok posted:

Hey, I've been working layout on my hack, Friendship, Effort, Victory, and I'm curious how it looks so far. It's very spartan at the moment, but I'm new to layout. What do y'all think? You can find it here. It's in spread format so zoom-out.

I think you maybe you mean recalcitrant rather than recailtrant

I don't love your sans-serif heading font, but maybe that's a super-anime font and I just don't know it.

Spartan, but fine and legible. I do think you need to decide right away for whom you're making this book: if they're already familiar with RPGs and PbtA, your breeze through PbtA terms is good and your "What's RPGs, Precious?" should go. If it's for anime people who have never played RPGs, your "What's RPGs, Precious?" is good and your breeze through PbtA terms is too brief and should come later (and should include some meta- and non-PbtA terms such as playbook and PC). My advice, which you didn't ask for, is to make your product as accessible to people as possible.

Covok
May 27, 2013

homullus posted:

I think you maybe you mean recalcitrant rather than recailtrant

I don't love your sans-serif heading font, but maybe that's a super-anime font and I just don't know it.

Spartan, but fine and legible. I do think you need to decide right away for whom you're making this book: if they're already familiar with RPGs and PbtA, your breeze through PbtA terms is good and your "What's RPGs, Precious?" should go. If it's for anime people who have never played RPGs, your "What's RPGs, Precious?" is good and your breeze through PbtA terms is too brief and should come later (and should include some meta- and non-PbtA terms such as playbook and PC). My advice, which you didn't ask for, is to make your product as accessible to people as possible.

The sans-serif heading font is Whizbang. I'm going to buy the license later. The reason I'm using it is because of this:

It and Wild words were the closet I could find to this typeface used for Manga dialouge. It defintely like a thing Viz does. I checked some of their other manga and it seems like they jump between Whizbang and Wildword for normal dialouge, but anything yelled or the like is put a different typeface. Found examples of them using this all the way back in 1980. Regradless, Viz the people who primarily bring shonen manga over so it felt like a good fit.

You're probably right about the typo.

As for the "which should I expand part, I'd prefer if it was more accessible so I should probably expand the basic terms and concepts section. That said, I don't see why it should come later. It's probably better for people to get the basic terms going in so everything makes sense as they go through the book, no?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Alright, I updated it with an expanded Basic terms and concepts section. How does that look?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

slap me and kiss me posted:

Hey, I've been reading through this. I like how you've set up the power mechanic, it really seems to emulate how the heroes of the show get their fight on, and I can definitely see people around the table doing a bit of shouting as they play through. Have you given any thought to running a playtest?

Yelling things at the table is a hallmark of a good PBTA game, I feel. I've got some plans for playtests in the near future, for now I've been relying on other people playtesting it for me. Well, one other person and their small group. But it has the seal of approval from a genuine small child who was really excited to be like Goku, so that's a good sign.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Fuego Fish posted:

Yelling things at the table is a hallmark of a good PBTA game, I feel. I've got some plans for playtests in the near future, for now I've been relying on other people playtesting it for me. Well, one other person.

From experience, having other people play test for you is superior to play testing yourself. The reason is that you're not there to correct things so you know exactly how another group AKA customers will respond to what you wrote.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Covok posted:

The sans-serif heading font is Whizbang. I'm going to buy the license later. The reason I'm using it is because of this:

It and Wild words were the closet I could find to this typeface used for Manga dialouge. It defintely like a thing Viz does. I checked some of their other manga and it seems like they jump between Whizbang and Wildword for normal dialouge, but anything yelled or the like is put a different typeface. Found examples of them using this all the way back in 1980. Regradless, Viz the people who primarily bring shonen manga over so it felt like a good fit.

You're probably right about the typo.

As for the "which should I expand part, I'd prefer if it was more accessible so I should probably expand the basic terms and concepts section. That said, I don't see why it should come later. It's probably better for people to get the basic terms going in so everything makes sense as they go through the book, no?

To my mind, some game terms relate to task resolution, some relate to the structure of an RPG, some relate to PbtA, some relate to your specific setting. I don't think it makes sense to define all terms in one place in the beginning with the idea that people will see them and remember them from that point forward. This may well be personal preference. Were I doing it, I would put the terms specific to PbtA task resolution in the section that explains that, the terms that relate to manga and the setting in the section that does that, et cetera, and then put all the terms alphabetically in the back (with a brief definition and page reference to the text) to serve as a reference later in case they forget.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Covok posted:

You have a lot of widows in your text. The comments on rag at that link at worth paying attention to as well.

Edit: A link with actual advice to fix the issue.

thefakenews fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 15, 2017

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Fuego Fish posted:

Yelling things at the table is a hallmark of a good PBTA game, I feel. I've got some plans for playtests in the near future, for now I've been relying on other people playtesting it for me. Well, one other person and their small group. But it has the seal of approval from a genuine small child who was really excited to be like Goku, so that's a good sign.

That's a great sign, it really sounds like you've got something on the go here. Kids are way better at determining fun than are "serious gamers."

Covok posted:

From experience, having other people play test for you is superior to play testing yourself. The reason is that you're not there to correct things so you know exactly how another group AKA customers will respond to what you wrote.

Definitely agree with this.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
The Sprawl just released November Metric, its mission/setting book stretch goal. Also with a cyberkitten overlay playbook...

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
I've put together a 1st draft of a quickstart for Legacy in advance of the kickstarter next week. The intention is that this does most of the work of setting up a game for a group, stripping back world creation, backstory, playbook choices etc to the bare essentials.

In Titanomachy, the players are survivors living among the ruins of a colony devastated when colossal titans surged out of the planet's jungle and tore apart their space elevator and advanced infrastructure. Generations down the line, they've managed to rebuild some civilisation and found ways to survive in this alien world, but it's just happened again: the titan Gigas rampaged through the homeland, causing huge devastation. Among that devastation there's hope, as the titan was finally killed by your combined efforts. Now you know the titans can be stopped, but your families are weaker than ever. How will you build a world where you're safe?

Please do let me know if there's anything that doesn't make sense, or bits where more explanation is required to make sure newcomers can have a good time with this!

DJPON3Vinyl
Apr 22, 2015
Does anyone know where I could find a one-shot Paydayesque hack I believe I saw once on here before? I recall the name being Daylight Robbery but I can't find it again.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-ssoH7YZYcYSGlLejJlcE5qMkk/view

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manofmanusernames
Jul 27, 2012

Jackass.
So I've been working on a crime fiction based PbtA hack. I noticed that most crime RPGs where based around heists, so I based my game more around Tarantino/Coen Brothers movies. This is mostly for my how personal amusement as I don't think anybody in my group would be interested in playing it.

I've out lined the basic moves and all that good stuff, not to different from other apoc games. I have a general idea of the playbooks but I'm going to work on those last. I've moved on to the more specific rules for the game. I like the collective goal mechanic from UA3 so I'm trying to figure out how to translate that into apocalypse. UA used percentiles for it's objectives but that wouldn't work here.

I thinking of coming up with a set of group moves that would help in dealing with the objective. Then with escalating threat as they progress to completion. But I'm worried that increasing heat would make it seem like GTA: the RPG.

I don't really have enough done to link the doc yet. Any thoughts?