Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The Chamberlain MyQ exists for that purpose, but I have no idea if it’s good or not. Claims to be compatible with most garage door brands if they have safety sensors and were made after 1993. Might be a place to start looking (after the obvious q, do you have solid wifi reception in the garage with the door closed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

My opener has the Chamberlain MyQ built in.

It works perfect. I have it set to remind me every 45 minutes the garage door is open.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

If you have a zwave hub like SmartThings you can get this: https://www.amazon.com/GoControl-Linear-GD00Z-4-Z-Wave-Controller/dp/B00M75TEIU . It works on any garage door opener that has normal button input headers (most do I assume). It comes with a tilt sensor to let it sense whether the door is open or not. You can then use the SmartThings app to close it remotely, or have it close automatically using SmartThings presence settings.

I don't have one so this is all hypothetical, but I do plan to get one soon v:shobon:v

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

My opener has the Chamberlain MyQ built in.

It works perfect. I have it set to remind me every 45 minutes the garage door is open.

Ive been holding off on getting the myq hub until it supports homekit. Looks like its supposed to as of 7-31. Hoping its around / under $100.

https://myqcommunity.chamberlain.com/chamberlainmyq/topics/announcing-myq-products-with-homekit-compatibility

Also, I almost pulled the trigger on an august smart lock on prime day when they dropped to 170, but reading into it it looks like you have to buy an additional hub for it to work with alexa. Is that right?

Im a little irritated at how everything needs its own special hub to work which is of course extra $ on top of the device itself. Is there a good single point hub that will eliminate all of these one offs?

Keystoned fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 13, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The only problem I have the MyQ is a problem I have with a lot of stuff that uses notifications. I guess you'd call it notification fatigue.

If my daughter is playing outside for hours (which happens a lot of the time), I'll get a bunch of notifications that the door is open. I also get notifications each time the door opens. Eventually I just stop paying attention to the notifications. A couple of times over the past few years we've left the door open all night even though I'd gotten a notification the door was open...just because I was so used to the notifications I didnt pay any attention.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Keystoned posted:

Ive been holding off on getting the myq hub until it supports homekit. Looks like its supposed to as of 7-31. Hoping its around / under $100.
Well the MSRP is $130 and currently it’s $99 at Best Buy.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

The only problem I have the MyQ is a problem I have with a lot of stuff that uses notifications. I guess you'd call it notification fatigue.

If my daughter is playing outside for hours (which happens a lot of the time), I'll get a bunch of notifications that the door is open. I also get notifications each time the door opens. Eventually I just stop paying attention to the notifications. A couple of times over the past few years we've left the door open all night even though I'd gotten a notification the door was open...just because I was so used to the notifications I didn't pay any attention.

This is why I added some logic to my notifications in Home Assistant for my garage door.

I only get alerts for the garage door opening/closing if I am NOT home. And to keep me from leaving the door open overnight, if the sun sets and the garage door is open, I get an alert. And then it will repeat every 30 minutes until the door is closed.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

deong posted:

I don't own the house, so not really looking to replace the opener.

Just a warning, TECHNICALLY anything you attach to the house be it Nest, garage door opener, even a flat screen TV becomes a fixture and is legally owned by the landlord. 99% of the time it is no big deal and TVs are kind of a gray area but if your landlord decides to be a dick they are legally in the right.

That's why so many houses for sale are completely empty except for the TVs mounted on the walls, it most likely not because they didn't want the TVs anymore, it's because the real estate company or lien holder told them to leave them or potentially run into some legal messiness.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

That seems nice.

I'm really leaning towards Home Assistant as I can run it on a Pi3. On the other hand I think OpenHAB has mobile apps...

Unrelated:

I'm trying to come up with a good solution for putting some cameras at a small apartment complex my parents own. I'm thinking some hikvision cameras, but I can't decide if I should find a closet somewhere to shove a PC running Blue Iris, or maybe I should use an NVR? The purpose of the cameras is to watch for vandals which they've been having more problems with.

1. If its an NVR, how well do such things do with motion detection triggered recording? Is that even worthwhile?
2. Is NVR remote access a thing? Is it any good?
3. Same remote access question about Blue Iris if I'm running it on premises.
4. I think my ideal solution would be to just have a router there and stream the cameras to a PC at my house, but I don't want to suck up that much bandwidth...is it possible to only have cameras stream on motion detection? In that case its like I'm offloading motion detection in a distributed fashion to the cameras...

1. You're gonna find the basic motion detection algorithms are pretty much the same no matter what product you're using. Server side motion detection was a solved problem back in the late 90's. Camera side took a bit longer because of the processing power available. There are advantages to doing camera side for reduced bandwidth usage but sometimes it can make pre-motion recording a bit wonky. And it requires much lower CPU for recording side. There are systems with some advancements in motion detection but they tend to be priced outside of what most people doing DIY will pay. Set up pre and post motion recording and you'll find it works well enough.

2. Yes with a big * though. So if you're doing an embedded system then the right way to do it is via a VPN. Hikvision and Dahua have had major issues with security and I wouldn't expose them to the internet at all unless I was using them as a honeypot for a botnet. Updating them if they are grey market is doable but kind of pain in the rear end. With Blue Iris I'd be a bit more comfortable just doing regular port forwarding. There is still a risk of it being owned but I imagine if a vulnerability is discovered the Blue Iris guy will have a better turn around time. The usual concerns about exposing any program to the internet apply.

3. See 2.

4. In a purely theoretical environment this is possible. In the real world, it's going to require a lot more set up, configuration, maintenance, cost and will generate more and weirder problems. I've worked with companies who figured they would throw an enterprise VMS into an AWS instance and be cloud provider, I've talked to the engineers at Dropcam, and I interacted with the team trying to build a cloud recording solution from scratch at my previous employer. The sheer number of issues all of those groups ran into was impressive. Basically the cameras designed for cloud stuff all are specially designed for it, and so are the back ends. And one of their solutions was to do motion detection on the cloud side because the extra latency caused a whole lot of issues with the methods cameras use to inform VMSes that motion has occurred. The one exception was Axis but they had the advantage of having much more control over the total design process, and a lot more camera design experience to work from along with less sensitivity to the adding costs to the cameras. And from what I've picked up via gossip they have a gently caress ton of issues. So if you're hoping this a magic solution to make your life easier, you'll be sorely disappointed.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Three Olives posted:

Just a warning, TECHNICALLY anything you attach to the house be it Nest, garage door opener, even a flat screen TV becomes a fixture and is legally owned by the landlord. 99% of the time it is no big deal and TVs are kind of a gray area but if your landlord decides to be a dick they are legally in the right.

That's why so many houses for sale are completely empty except for the TVs mounted on the walls, it most likely not because they didn't want the TVs anymore, it's because the real estate company or lien holder told them to leave them or potentially run into some legal messiness.

Which jurisdictions are you talking about here?

E: the sellers of my home took their TVs off the walls, along with some hooks and so forth. Did they get bad advice?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Thermopyle posted:

If my daughter is playing outside for hours (which happens a lot of the time), I'll get a bunch of notifications that the door is open. I also get notifications each time the door opens. Eventually I just stop paying attention to the notifications. A couple of times over the past few years we've left the door open all night even though I'd gotten a notification the door was open...just because I was so used to the notifications I didnt pay any attention.

Clear your drat notifications ;) Android mod should know better!
Thanks for the info. The product video for that linear is ace! Like made in the 80's. I work with a lot of SDI video equipment, and it cracks me up how many of these large firms look like they are schlepping hardware from a 90's garage computer setup. Both with the UI, and the physical hardware.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Subjunctive posted:

E: the sellers of my home took their TVs off the walls, along with some hooks and so forth. Did they get bad advice?
It depends on what’s actually written in your lease, how your state defines a “fixture”, whether you replace it with something else before moving out, and how much of a dick your landlord (or tenant) is.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It depends on what’s actually written in your lease, how your state defines a “fixture”, whether you replace it with something else before moving out, and how much of a dick your landlord (or tenant) is.

Yeah the lease stuff I assume is really variable. I was interested in the houses being sold empty-but-for-TVs for some reason.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Erwin posted:

If you have a zwave hub like SmartThings you can get this: https://www.amazon.com/GoControl-Linear-GD00Z-4-Z-Wave-Controller/dp/B00M75TEIU . It works on any garage door opener that has normal button input headers (most do I assume). It comes with a tilt sensor to let it sense whether the door is open or not. You can then use the SmartThings app to close it remotely, or have it close automatically using SmartThings presence settings.

I don't have one so this is all hypothetical, but I do plan to get one soon v:shobon:v

My cousin has a few of these and it works exactly like that. Also, if you don't mind soldering you can use it on literally any garage door opener you a have a remote for by soldering the leads onto the button on an extra remote. My cousin went a step further than that and took apart the tilt sensor, wired it to a button, put the whole thing in a waterproof box, and riveted it to the end of his gate so when the gate closes it pushes the button setting off the sensor since gates don't tilt.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

deong posted:

Clear your drat notifications ;) Android mod should know better!

Nah, it's not a matter of me having too many notifications on my notification screen, its a matter of me not checking them ASAP and me kind of just swiping the MyQ notifications away because 95% of the time they're telling me something I already know.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wish geolocation was good enough to tell my camera 'if me or my wife's cellphone is in the shot, don't trigger a notification'. Until the day someone steals my phone.

The only thing I'd like is to change the notification of the 'person spotted' to the Metal Gear Solid 'alert' sound. I don't even play the game, but it's used in the Running Man Korean TV show, and I don't think I'd get bored of that.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Thomamelas posted:

1. useful info
2. useful info
3. useful info
4. useful info

You have made a good camera post yet again.

I'm kinda leaning towards a NVR and VPN for remote access.

NVR or not, are there any good non-cloud solutions that have decent mobile apps that support multiple cameras?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

You have made a good camera post yet again.

I'm kinda leaning towards a NVR and VPN for remote access.

NVR or not, are there any good non-cloud solutions that have decent mobile apps that support multiple cameras?

I'd be really surprised to find a VMS or NVR that didn't have a mobile app.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Thomamelas posted:

I'd be really surprised to find a VMS or NVR that didn't have a mobile app.

I should have stressed the "decent" part. My prior expectation is that they're going to be poo poo apps. :D

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

I should have stressed the "decent" part. My prior expectation is that they're going to be poo poo apps. :D

Mobile apps made by smaller companies with a different primary focus. The best to hope for is serviceable.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah the lease stuff I assume is really variable. I was interested in the houses being sold empty-but-for-TVs for some reason.

It’s because it costs more to fix the damage from removing the mount than they lose leaving it behind.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Lol no. That would never hold up in court. Whoever told homeboy they own a tv attached to a wall by their tenant is talking out of their rear end. Especially in Texas.

Kalman posted:

It’s because it costs more to fix the damage from removing the mount than they lose leaving it behind.

Sheetrock patching or replacement is pretty cheap. Everyone should learn how to do it. It's not rocket science

DangerZoneDelux fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 14, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Sheetrock patching or replacement is pretty cheap. Everyone should learn how to do it. It's not rocket science

Judging by the work I've seen you'd think it was.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Judging by the work I've seen you'd think it was.

It should be a rite of passage for everyone to put a hole in your parents house that you scramble to fix over a weekend. 16 years old and 4 trips to Ace Hardware my parents still don't know they had a kid fly through their wall and get lodged inside many years ago. The key of course is matching paint and texture.

Anyway don't be afraid to put holes in your apartments or rental homes. I don't give a poo poo unless someone decided to take a hammer and massacre all the walls. Dude had the balls to ask me for his deposit back.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

The nest indoor and outdoor cameras are amazing. I recommend

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Lol no. That would never hold up in court. Whoever told homeboy they own a tv attached to a wall by their tenant is talking out of their rear end. Especially in Texas.

When you’re leaving a house it’s not exactly high on your list, especially since you most likely wanted to leave the TV and mount up to stage the house, meaning you’ll have a pretty limited time in which to do it (and that’s also the time when you’re likely either trying to buy a house or packing and moving.). Most people aren’t going to take the time to learn to do sheetrock patching (in a fashion that won’t look like rear end and cause trouble with closing) when they can just write off the $100 wallmount and a cheap tv.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Burt Sexual posted:

So I live in a fairly good rural neighborhood, we have like groups of 40 homes in various groups across maybe 10 miles. We've had a large influx of break ins and the last one made me reconsider my wife's push back to getting a system. She thinks its intrusive, true. But my neighbor left his garage open, as I have done on more than on mistaken occasion, and he ended up confronting two dudes at 3am in his car and house.

So I want
2 outside cams day and night
1 inside same
4 opening alarms for doors
App that controls it all
Kids use of the app
Garage door monitoring
Breaking glass sensor
Full turn key monitoring and installation

Adt has all of this I guess, but seems behind the curve in tech. Vivint is the one I'm looking at as an aquaitance has it and loves it. I've read baddd poo poo about their terms, 5 loving years, and their outsourced customer service that sucks rear end.

Any recommendations from this sad comedy forum?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Piggy Smalls posted:

The nest indoor and outdoor cameras are amazing. I recommend

Have you got some day/night sample pictures?

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Frank Dillinger posted:

Have you got some day/night sample pictures?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Nest is particularly useful for watching mail services mishandle your goods in real time/on demand.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

DangerZoneDelux posted:

The key of course is matching paint and texture.

That's a big caveat, though. If the patches are small enough, the wall paint is white, or in an area that doesn't get good light, it's easy. If you end up having to basically repaint the room, I think I'd leave the mounts on.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

B-Nasty posted:

That's a big caveat, though. If the patches are small enough, the wall paint is white, or in an area that doesn't get good light, it's easy. If you end up having to basically repaint the room, I think I'd leave the mounts on.

Where were you before I told the previous owners they should take their mounts off?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Anyway don't be afraid to put holes in your apartments or rental homes. I don't give a poo poo unless someone decided to take a hammer and massacre all the walls. Dude had the balls to ask me for his deposit back.

As someone who manages hundreds of apartment units I can say that a huge amount of people cannot patch drywall and match paint as well as you say.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

So send in the maintenance crew to patch up the small holes? I only own a few units and don't manage hundreds like you but it's part of the cost of owning these things.

Also this whole convo was because an idiot posted your landlord owns your tv the minute it goes on the wall

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

DangerZoneDelux posted:

So send in the maintenance crew to patch up the small holes? I only own a few units and don't manage hundreds like you but it's part of the cost of owning these things.

Yes, thats what we do. I'm just saying you're wrong in your implication that anyone can do the job.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

I'm not sure I'd ever do anything with Vivint myself. ADT is a mixed bag, and is going to vary a lot regionally. But they should be able to get you access to any of the major alarms and systems. Unfortunately you've left out something major before I can give any kind of useful info, but what is your budget?

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
Slightly off topic but can anyone recommend a good hdmi splitter / reciever? Im not trying to run a sound system through it - I just need more hdmi inputs because I have more devices than my tv had inputs. Id like at least six. Also it also needs to work with my logitech harmony remote.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Thomamelas posted:

I'm not sure I'd ever do anything with Vivint myself. ADT is a mixed bag, and is going to vary a lot regionally. But they should be able to get you access to any of the major alarms and systems. Unfortunately you've left out something major before I can give any kind of useful info, but what is your budget?

Unlimited, well below 100$ a month. Adt is like 52$ for their "gold" which doesn't do garages and some other poo poo. Like cameras are a secondary thought on their webpage.

What's wrong with Verint in your experience? I just contacted a current neighbor and they said it's great. Good service, 2 year contract, and better features.

I live next to jastiger if that helps.

E: what good is a security system that doesn't call you/the coppers? Seems like a yospos yank job.

Burt Sexual fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 15, 2017

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Keystoned posted:

Slightly off topic but can anyone recommend a good hdmi splitter / reciever? Im not trying to run a sound system through it - I just need more hdmi inputs because I have more devices than my tv had inputs. Id like at least six. Also it also needs to work with my logitech harmony remote.

Pretty sure you are looking for a switch, not a splitter.

https://www.amazon.com/Portta-Switc...rds=HDMI+Switch

I've used this for years, works great and has discrete IR commands for the ports so it works great with Harmony.

Only possible downside besides maybe protocol support is that it is HDMI powered which MIGHT be a problem. Probably not, there is a good chance at least one of your devices is outputting enough power over HDMI to power it but you could run into issues if you don't. It has a power plug if not but it doesn't come with an adapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Also this whole convo was because an idiot posted your landlord owns your tv the minute it goes on the wall

Mounted TVs are a grey area, the mount at very least probably becomes property of your landlord, the TV is questionable. Several years ago I was working with a home builder who was offering one of our products as a buyer incentive for a new home development, their lawyers insisted that our product although free standing must be physically attached to the house and installed before the title transferred to keep things on the up and up legally. Grills had a screw and a tether chain to the brick, TVs were mounted on the wall, etc.

The TVs were an aside, the TV/TV mount situation legally is questionable, but this is a home automation thread and what is not questionable is things like smart switches, thermostats, smoke detectors, garage door openers, etc, those are most defiantly fixtures legally and if you install them in your rental property they are legally the property of your landlord as a home improvement in most if not all jurisdictions. Granted as long as the original device is reinstalled and there isn't any damage before you move out it will likely not be an issue at all but if your landlord decides to be a dick that Nest you installed in your apartment is their property the second you took the old one off and screwed the back-plate into the wall.

It's almost certainly not going to be an issue but it is something that people should keep in mind before installing high dollar equipment into a landlord's property that might be a dick about it.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 15, 2017