Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I don't care about Crash Bandicoot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

calusari posted:

MMOs are all extremely loving boring and should be used to diagnose depression
This is a good and true opinion

Bad Llama
Jan 2, 2007
pwnerer
Did anybody say Horizon Zero Dawn is completely over-rated yet? Because I couldn't find the desire to continue after a few hours, brought it back to Redbox, and will be happy if I never play it again. I don't get the hype.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Bad Llama posted:

Did anybody say Horizon Zero Dawn is completely over-rated yet? Because I couldn't find the desire to continue after a few hours, brought it back to Redbox, and will be happy if I never play it again. I don't get the hype.

I agree completely. I don't understand the praise that game gets.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Dead Rising 2 was actually mostly bad and tried to copy the goofy tone of the first game and failed miserably. The protagonist was unlikable, the characters were bland, and all the psychopaths just felt weirdly mean spirited instead of goofy-while-also-horrific.

The crafting system was cool I guess.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

The Dennis System posted:

I agree completely. I don't understand the praise that game gets.

I bought it off Amazon for $40 and am about three hours in, maybe a bit more. While the sound design and the visuals are cool it plays exactly like Far Cry.

I'm not sure why people bark GOTY when it gets mentioned. Like it is cool but not some ground breaking game.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

ishikabibble posted:

Dead Rising 2 was actually mostly bad and tried to copy the goofy tone of the first game and failed miserably. The protagonist was unlikable, the characters were bland, and all the psychopaths just felt weirdly mean spirited instead of goofy-while-also-horrific.

The crafting system was cool I guess.

I tried to play one of these games and you walked so goddamn slowly I couldn't stand it. I failed to find anything fun to do before I gave up.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Someone mentioned it before but the time limit aspect of dead rising is really the worst thing.

Here's a cool open world sandbox of sorts for you to explore and find all kinds of cool ways to mow down zombies.

By the way, you aren't allowed to enjoy it too long. Why? Can someone play devils advocate and explain why that's a smart decision?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Someone mentioned it before but the time limit aspect of dead rising is really the worst thing.

Here's a cool open world sandbox of sorts for you to explore and find all kinds of cool ways to mow down zombies.

By the way, you aren't allowed to enjoy it too long. Why? Can someone play devils advocate and explain why that's a smart decision?

It was designed by a company who made games for the arcade which are designed to eat your quarters and never let you relax

Dead Rising had a lot of hidden overpowered weapons near the start of the game, a katana just on a ledge you could fall off and kill yourself, an uzi on top of another hidden ledge. It seemed designed from the ground up to be replayed constantly.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oblivion was better than Skyrim for the simple fact of arrow mechanics.

In Oblivion if you were good enough you could hit a monster with a sneak attack further than the draw distance of the map, so some of the more annoying monsters you could hit 5+ times before they got up in your face.

Skyrim if you were more than 10 feet away from something your arrows apparently just disappeared. You could see a bandit or someone standing around staring and line up perfect head shots which alerted them to your presence but did no damage. Which made the running backwards while firing phenomenon 10x worse than it was in oblivion, and since I exclusively use bows it ruined the entire game for me.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Space Crabs posted:

Oblivion was better than Skyrim for the simple fact of arrow mechanics.

In Oblivion if you were good enough you could hit a monster with a sneak attack further than the draw distance of the map, so some of the more annoying monsters you could hit 5+ times before they got up in your face.

Skyrim if you were more than 10 feet away from something your arrows apparently just disappeared. You could see a bandit or someone standing around staring and line up perfect head shots which alerted them to your presence but did no damage. Which made the running backwards while firing phenomenon 10x worse than it was in oblivion, and since I exclusively use bows it ruined the entire game for me.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
:colbert:

Stealth Archery is way more fun than 36,000 sword whacks or magic that gives you a magical sword for 36,000 sword whacks. Magic is for gays. Unarmed is swords without the clangs.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

for real though majoring in stealth archery and minoring in melee combat is the crux of having fun in skyrim

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Space Crabs posted:

:colbert:

Stealth Archery is way more fun than 36,000 sword whacks or magic that gives you a magical sword for 36,000 sword whacks. Magic is for gays. Unarmed is swords without the clangs.

I went back and played skyrim with some major perk mods that affected combat and it made everything more all around fun, but in vanilla skyrim there really is just a lot of fun to be had being an rear end in a top hat arrow sniper. Especially when you can do cool stuff like trip oil traps.

Probably unpopular but the most fun skyrim build is pure destruction/restoration mage and only wear robes. Fighting another mage before you get resistance spells and stuff was crazy fun, with fireballs flying back and forth and hitting poo poo on tables and making poo poo fly around the room and look like chaos after you're done.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I have never seen a more accurate description of the Elder Scrolls races in my life.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I used the conjuration bow so I never had to carry anything

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist
JRPGs are bad

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Beastie posted:

I bought it off Amazon for $40 and am about three hours in, maybe a bit more. While the sound design and the visuals are cool it plays exactly like Far Cry.

I'm not sure why people bark GOTY when it gets mentioned. Like it is cool but not some ground breaking game.

A pair of scientists in disheveled lab coats argue furiously in front of a blackboard littered with crossed out phrases. "CLOWN ZOMBIES", an earlier suggestion, has a simple strikethru, but as the discussion continued the rejections got more and more violent. "SINGING PIRATES (?)" had scribbles all the way across it, while "NINJA MONKEYS" had been entirely erased.

Finally, tentatively, the first scientist reaches out with a bit of chalk and slowly writes "DINOSAURS?" in part of the remaining space. The other scientist stops nervously tugging his hair as he has a revelation - he steps up to the chalkboard and prepends "ROBOT!" to his colleague's work. They look at each other, tears filling their weary eyes. They'd finally done it. They'd engineered the perfect nerd bait for 2017.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

this thread is for unpopular opinions

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

I liked the glitch in Skyrim where you could stack those medallions that lowered the shout cooldown time. You could stack 4 using a glitch during werewolf transformation, which would make your shout cooldown time 0. Run around screaming at everyone all the time

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

jrpgs are so bad that japanese rpg makers are increasingly ditching it for wrpg styles which leaves the kind of weird fucker who likes menu navigation sims out in the dry a bit to be honest.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

action rpgs are bad

if i wanted something that tested my dexterity i'd play sports

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

GreatGreen posted:

I have never seen a more accurate description of the Elder Scrolls races in my life.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Uh SNES and PSXXXXXXX had great JRPG's.

Menus are fun.

Who doesn't like menus.

Fuckin' idiots, that's who.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
People who think stealth archer builds are inevitable are not creative enough to enjoy a role playing game where you can guide your own character's role.

Which explains how people liked being railroaded into playing a sword (with a second slightly different colored sword) character in Witcher 3.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

skyrim has very little that's fun to offer that plays differently. stealth archery is fun because it basically sidesteps combat without suspending pacing or immersion.

Magic? it loving sucks. It looks cool, it's not fun to play. Melee is not fun. it tries so hard to be semi-tactile but it's so, so not that at all.

You're left with archery, which is fun out of stealth and its fun using archery with the intent to engage in melee too, but being a sword and board or barbairan fucker with 2 swords is so unsatisfying as to be ridiculous because it tries so hard to be.

Combat set aside, you're left then with a really bad chosen one story where your combat style and choices in game factor in zero percent, a civil war that somehow changes nothing substantial, has nothing to say about war and conflict

like, the only time the story gets remotely interesting is incidentally when the dlc almost just straight up takes you to Morrowind.

also i like Skyrim's advanced housebuilding simulator a lot. I hate Fallout 4's city building, but I like skyrim's house building. gently caress me right? anyway Skyrim's an okay game where the combat and story are a tedium around which you explore cool ruins. And the ruins are actually cool for once. up to then this hadn't happened since morrowind.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

DARPA posted:

People who think stealth archer builds are inevitable are not creative enough to enjoy a role playing game where you can guide your own character's role.

Which explains how people liked being railroaded into playing a sword (with a second slightly different colored sword) character in Witcher 3.

Is this real?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
My first run through Skyrim I played a lizard man who used war hammers. In retrospect, the hammers were more interesting than the faster weapons.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

DARPA posted:

lol yeah elder scrolls games really teem with opportunities to roleplay. *clicks on crab for 10 minutes* *chooses to murder a guy or help him*

Witcher lets you roleplay in that you make genuinely difficult decisions that matter to the people involved, not cartoonish "good or evil" crap. The fact that you always have a sword and magic and potions and poo poo is incidental. What does "I murder him with my axe" vs "I murder him with my fireball" have to do with roleplaying?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

sometimes i think a blank slate character is cool, but sometimes always being geralt of rivia with your hot crazy mage gf and your god-emperor adopted daughter is way better

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Video games need more FMVs

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Imo, the best way to play Skyrim is with illusion magic and traps. magic has always been the coolest way to play tes games

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Because the game is designed to be replayed instead of to be played in one swath.

Capcom didnt fall into the decision by accident, or do it that way because theyre idiots, they thought long and hard about why they were putting that time limit in the game.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

basic hitler posted:

jrpgs are so bad that japanese rpg makers are increasingly ditching it for wrpg styles which leaves the kind of weird fucker who likes menu navigation sims out in the dry a bit to be honest.

Im one of those wierd fuckers and it sucks. Navigating menus FTW. Time limits in games and having time pressure put on you in general is FTW as well

Anyone who complains about a timelimit existing is weak, and thier opinions arent worth considering

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

some time limits are good like if the game is designed around them like dead rising or majora's mask

some time limits are bad if it's just an artificial gently caress you, like the original fallout just straight-up ending after X amount of days (which i wanna say was originally a hack preventing a crash which is why one of the later official(?) patches removed it?)

and please do not make keiji inafune and/or capcom out to be some kind of game geniuses here because holy lol you have to be kidding, right?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I've never replayed any single-player game sooner than like 7-8 years later, so anything made for replay 'value' or NG+ is just worthless garbage imo. That's a disease for 80s kids and people who had like 3 whole videogames so were forced to replay them incessantly.

Bad Llama
Jan 2, 2007
pwnerer
Dark souls is clunky and unfun.

Witcher 3 is clunky and boring.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

food court bailiff posted:

and please do not make keiji inafune and/or capcom out to be some kind of game geniuses here because holy lol you have to be kidding, right?

Im not, im saying the prevailing attitude is "cant these IDIOTS see hwo STUPID this is" when talking about something liek a time limit in dead rising or the wierd rear end multi in dark souls

They make a purposeful decision, its jsut one you dont like. These ppl arent blind idiots doing thigns randomly and youre not a genius for going "Hey FROM, ever think about putting Matchmaking into your game :smugbird: "

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ever thinka bout NOT having a time limit in dead rising :smugbird:

They probably thought about that a lot, dipshits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Meme Emulator posted:

Ever thinka bout NOT having a time limit in dead rising :smugbird:

They probably thought about that a lot, dipshits

OK so you're saying they thought about it, but that has nothing to do with it being a good decision.

quote:

Capcom didnt fall into the decision by accident, or do it that way because theyre idiots, they thought long and hard about why they were putting that time limit in the game.

Thinking long and hard about a decision and making that decision purposefully are not mutually exclusive with them making that decision because they're idiots