Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I wonder if Blizzard is going to at some point force Hanamura to be played at HGC even though everyone despises it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

There are people in this thread that believe the only reason people don't like Hanamura is because it's not played by the pros/hasn't been played enough in general.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Libertine posted:

I don't see what the point of PTR is this or almost any other game. I've never seen a game where the PTR player base actually had a significant population. Bug testing is almost always better done in-house. Releasing a new character in a multiplayer game you can't really tune it for balance until you let the entire population of the game play it live and you have that enormous sample of data to see what works and what doesn't.

I can't imagine there are people who actually exist who join the PTR and then do quality bug testing and code feedback for Blizzard out of their own free time, but if there are they just should get hired.

Think about all the other things they have to test that aren't directly related to gameplay. PTR is a great way to test things like general server infrastructure and making sure the game patches correctly once its deployed to live. Even with a small player base, any evidence to help support that the game is working correctly under a variety of skews, settings, and locations is immensely valuable.

Also, a small player base isn't necessarily worse since it can reveal bugs or issues that will only happen under those circumstances.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

beejay posted:

There are people in this thread that believe the only reason people don't like Hanamura is because it's not played by the pros/hasn't been played enough in general.

Yo

I mean I don't think it's perfection, and it definitely doesn't simulate OW payload maps (RIP the payload brawl, died too young) but I think it's a map that can reward clever play really well, and snowballs only as much or less than "BIG PUSH GUY" maps.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I actually think Hanamara is a better map now. Giving the payloads +1200 exp helped a lot, and games were too short before so it makes sense to extend the game length. It gives the losing team more time to come back if they are down a fort or something, plus people actually get to level 20 now.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Who the gently caress were complaining that games on Hanamura were too short?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
The thing about Hanamura is I think it potentially could be a good map if they radically changed the payloads to an attack/defend single payload objective like the one Brawl. Mines and BHB, on the other hand, cannot be saved, and should just be scrapped entirely.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Gustav posted:

Who the gently caress were complaining that games on Hanamura were too short?

I think the idea of "short" meaning "few objectives contested" rather than minute count. Since ideal play was usually push a fort down and keep down and use the level advantage to bully/prevent the other team's final turn ins and then waltz your 2 carts in and boss for the victory.
It seems like the frantic multiple carts on the map/ready to respawn lots of activity and hotzones instead of 5v5s is the goal/vision of the map, but really that's usually only the last minute or so of play sometimes.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I haven't played it against other people yet since the rework, but my issue is that the core gameplay of the differs too much from the gameplay of other maps- and isn't fun in that regard like Towers can be- and I also feel that the general aesthetic of the map (music, scenery, etc.) is boring.

To me it almost feels like it's the laning phase of Dota/League, but for the entire match.

It's not a tuning issue for me, it's just not a fun map.

MisterZimbu fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 13, 2017

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The complaint that Blizzard listened to (rather than the ones that the majority of people were making) was that Hanamura's objectives put too much emphasis on pushing and map control. The XP addition to the payload was good, the Sapper removal was not. If anything, this made the focus on lane domination and map control even greater, because there's no additional pressure to be obtained from destroying a keep.

Aaod
May 29, 2004

Elysium posted:

The thing about Hanamura is I think it potentially could be a good map if they radically changed the payloads to an attack/defend single payload objective like the one Brawl. Mines and BHB, on the other hand, cannot be saved, and should just be scrapped entirely.

Mines I can see, but BHB is awesome. BHB and Tomb of the Spider queen are my two favorite maps for different reasons.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Radish posted:

Why did they even get rid of the sappers? Was just laning and ignoring the objectives that much of a problem? What's the point of the bases now?

Yeah, the sapper removal was weird. It was a cool alternate condition for winning if you had fallen far behind. Now there's even less of a reason to push bases unless you're super stomping. The payload experience change was really good though.

I was one of the folks who thought the games were a tad too short (they all almost ended by like level 16-17) - 9-10 health would've been my guess for what a better amount is.

I really like the map because it does change around how the game works fairly significantly, but I don't think Blizzard really knows what to do with the map.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Dragon Shire's probably my favorite. Nothing's funnier to me than kicking enemies into my team.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Bhb grew on me. But I also love braxis so I'm a jackass.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I hate BHB with a passion. Same with Braxis, but I feel like my experience with Braxis is based more off bad games than the map itself.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Wait did they stop Stukov's Lurking Arm from dealing damage to structures? I swear it used to...

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

BrianBoitano posted:

Wait did they stop Stukov's Lurking Arm from dealing damage to structures? I swear it used to...

With the range upgrade you could basically be Hammer if it did damage to structures. That thing does a lot of damage.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I think all the maps are pretty cool. They all have things I don't like about them but because no map is imbalanced for one side I know my opponents are suffering as much as me.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
BHB is awesome. Big map, tons of different styles of play allowed, kind of a hybrid 2-3 lane map, and collecting coins always feels good.

Mines is really bad. I feel the Golem you earn is just really undertuned the first few rounds. For how much effort it is to collect bones while preventing your forts from getting pushed it doesn't feel very rewarding. It is often a better idea just to skip the mines the first few rounds and focus on pushing, especially if you have Malthael who can kill golems quickly.

I think it'd be better if a team gets 55+ bones they don't have to defend against a weaker golem, and if they earn 80+, the golem gets a huge buff (give him 30% haste or something). 55 means they won the collection race, 80+ means the opponent abandoned the mines.

I mean which other map do people go "objective up, just ignore it and push"?

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Mines is consistently the map with the longest matches for me because after like level 16 the golem just melts

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

"don't pick tyrande she's a garbage hero"

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I think Murky might be my new favorite hero. People constantly underestimate or just flat out ignore him.

Also I've now blown up two Cho'galls with the pufferfish and I don't think it'll ever stop being hilarious.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
And the best part is, if they aren't underestimating or ignoring you, that means they're wasting their time going after you! It's win / win either way for you!

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

GenericOverusedName posted:

And the best part is, if they aren't underestimating or ignoring you, that means they're wasting their time going after you! It's win / win either way for you!

Yeah, if they ignore me I can easily push towers and get kills/assists. If they focus on me I can taunt them into wasting ults on me.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Bloody Pom posted:

I think Murky might be my new favorite hero. People constantly underestimate or just flat out ignore him.

Also I've now blown up two Cho'galls with the pufferfish and I don't think it'll ever stop being hilarious.

Murky is awesome.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Bloody Pom posted:

GenericOverusedName posted:

Yep Murky rules. He's my highest level character cause he just so much more fun to play than anyone else

I loving love blowing up characters who underestimate me. Zul'jins especially cause it's either they die to me or blow their ult so the don't bare the same of dying to a Murky

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Hey I won 5 chests from that promo thing. I'll be curious how many regular posters here win - it'll give a totally unscientific estimation of the HotS player base.

EDIT: WTF. With 2 rerolls got Genji, Uther, and Falstad, none of whom I owned. The gently caress.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

I think some people still haven't figured this out. Just had an enemy stukov channel an entire lurking arm on our towers instead of attacking the minions...

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

No Wave posted:

Hey I won 5 chests from that promo thing. I'll be curious how many regular posters here win - it'll give a totally unscientific estimation of the HotS player base.

Put me down for also getting 5. A nice surprise, I suppose.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I think some people still haven't figured this out. Just had an enemy stukov channel an entire lurking arm on our towers instead of attacking the minions...

I'm 99% sure it did siege damage on the PTR, so folks are probably just going off of that. I figured it out after 2-3 casts, though.

Odd that they wouldn't document the change, since it says "enemies" and "non-heroes" but nothing about structures. Do structures not count as enemies?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

BrianBoitano posted:

I'm 99% sure it did siege damage on the PTR, so folks are probably just going off of that. I figured it out after 2-3 casts, though.

Odd that they wouldn't document the change, since it says "enemies" and "non-heroes" but nothing about structures. Do structures not count as enemies?

I just went back and checked one of Grubby's videos where he was playing Stukov on the PTR and nah, it never did structure damage.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Huh. Thanks! That's what the 1% is for :v:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
To be fair, things that damage enemies but not structures are pretty uncommon in the game so it's probably an easy assumption to fall into.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Looking over the various pirate-themed sprays they added in this last patch, I'm hoping this means pirate skins are on the way for Sgt. Hammer, Murky, Probius, Greymane and Dehaka.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Talk Like a Pirate Day chests better mean we're getting a legendary Blackheart announcer.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Not a thread regular but I got informed of my 5 free chests with a Tychus pic by email. At work so will be some time before I can crack them open.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I'm really wondering about this contest considering the lowest prize is 100k winners and I've played to enter every day the last two weeks and not won either drawing

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Midnightghoul posted:

I'm really wondering about this contest considering the lowest prize is 100k winners and I've played to enter every day the last two weeks and not won either drawing

Being serious for a moment I'd be surprised if HotS' playerbase, even for an also-ran MOBA, wasn't bigger than 100k.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Meanwhile on post-patch Hanamura…

Solid map design, allowing one team to draw out a match for however long they please. :waycool: The people who abuse it are fucknuggets of the highest order, of course, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Midnightghoul posted:

I haven't won in two weeks either and I'm pretty sure I've won a game most days =(