Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Isn't there a middling book series that's the Napoleonic wars, but with magic/dragons?

Easy IP tie in.

Book question gets book answer Temeraire Series by Naomi Novik

Agree it would be an easy tie in, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

RabidWeasel posted:

Trade Range and Reduced Inflation Reduction Cost have to be the 2 shittiest modifiers in the whole game
Reduced Inflation Reduction cost can be nice if you cant take Economic and the Master of Mint you hired from your Merchants estate dies after a month. Trade Range and Reduced Interest Per Annum are just completely godawful.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Interest reduction gets a pass because if you stack enough of it, it's the most broken thing in the whole game and gives you essentially infinite money.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
What kind of percentage of soldiers do you need for usable soldier pops in Vicky? I apparently have a lot of soldiers, but most of my provinces only give me 1 supportable brigade, at most.

I should be clear I'm dragging Arabia into existence, so I never had a good soldier base to begin with (though now I'm civilised and have the arabian peninsula and egypt).

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

spectralent posted:

What kind of percentage of soldiers do you need for usable soldier pops in Vicky? I apparently have a lot of soldiers, but most of my provinces only give me 1 supportable brigade, at most.

I should be clear I'm dragging Arabia into existence, so I never had a good soldier base to begin with (though now I'm civilised and have the arabian peninsula and egypt).

The first military unit recruited from a province requires only 1000 same-culture soldier POPs. Every military unit after that requires an additional 3000 solider POPs. So you get one unit if there are 1000 soldiers in a province, two units if there are 4000, etc.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, one problem with the way Victoria handles soldier POPs is you can have lots of soldiers, but if they're spread out all over you can't form them into brigades. It might be helpful to encourage soldiers in your most populated territory to try to push past that barrier.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think there's a setting you can change to force Soldier POPs to centralize in your capital.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think there's a setting you can change to force Soldier POPs to centralize in your capital.

a file edit and while its easy its not something the majority of players will ever do or think to do.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
It's the state capital not the national capital, it helps though

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

You know, that makes shitloads of sense, and is far better than raising bumblefucksberg's first and only regiment. Am I looking at a mod or am I going to have to tweak it myself?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

spectralent posted:

You know, that makes shitloads of sense, and is far better than raising bumblefucksberg's first and only regiment. Am I looking at a mod or am I going to have to tweak it myself?

Not on my gaming PC so sorry if this isn't detailed enough, but you're supposed to go into the text file for soldier POPs and set a flag of "state_capital_only = 1".

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Yeah you can check the syntax by looking at the file for bureaucrats, they're in the folder \Victoria 2\poptypes\

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I had no idea that was how bureaucrats worked but in retrospect it makes sense and I could've checked pop breakdowns. Thanks!

I'm gonna assume officers need to go with them lest you get leaderless brigades.

Also, to be clear, this means that all pops of a given type migrate to your capital, right? It doesn't mean only your capital gets pops of that type promoted?

spectralent fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jul 13, 2017

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

They do migrate, but not to *your* capital, but to the state capitals. Provinces are grouped up in states, and one province in each state acts as the state capital (so for instance if there's a New York state in the US, the province of New York City acts as the capital for that state). The soldier pops that are generated in the New York state will merge together in the New York City province. Or something to that effect.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

spectralent posted:

I'm gonna assume officers need to go with them lest you get leaderless brigades.

There is no connection between soldier and officer pops at all. All that matters is the percentage of your population that is officers, since that determines how quickly you can generate new generals, but there's no interaction between them and soldiers.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

sheep-dodger posted:

There is no connection between soldier and officer pops at all. All that matters is the percentage of your population that is officers, since that determines how quickly you can generate new generals, but there's no interaction between them and soldiers.

Peculiar but okay.

Also, anyone know why cores I've reclaimed, that're connected via land to my home provinces, are considered colony states and I have massive negative colonisation points? I think the game's possibly interpreted all of egypt as being an african colony, somehow.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

spectralent posted:

Peculiar but okay.

well i mean, you're certainly not going to let a peasant become an officer. it takes a certain breeding to lead men - and a gentleman will go where he is needed. :wotwot:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

spectralent posted:

Peculiar but okay.

Also, anyone know why cores I've reclaimed, that're connected via land to my home provinces, are considered colony states and I have massive negative colonisation points? I think the game's possibly interpreted all of egypt as being an african colony, somehow.

That happens automatically whenever you conquer land from a country that hasn't westernised yet

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Allyn posted:

That happens automatically whenever you conquer land from a country that hasn't westernised yet

Ah, okay. Seems weird when they're a core, but I guess it's kind of an outside-scope issue. Apparently the fix is to get high administration in the area, which is sensible.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

spectralent posted:

Ah, okay. Seems weird when they're a core, but I guess it's kind of an outside-scope issue. Apparently the fix is to get high administration in the area, which is sensible.

Specifically you want bureaucrats from an accepted culture, so check if you have the right cultures accepted.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

YF-23 posted:

They do migrate, but not to *your* capital, but to the state capitals. Provinces are grouped up in states, and one province in each state acts as the state capital (so for instance if there's a New York state in the US, the province of New York City acts as the capital for that state). The soldier pops that are generated in the New York state will merge together in the New York City province. Or something to that effect.

Wait is NYC really the state capital instead of Albany in Vic2?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Senor Dog posted:

No.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Anyone who might be interested who has not heard yet, we're doing a goon multiplayer game of the Apres Moi Le Deluge mod for HoI4 this Sunday and it isn't too late to sign up!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3826003

We play in 3hr blocks starting noon pacific time every sunday

If you want to play just sign up or join the mapgoons discord for more info
https://discord.gg/7dntMWA

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Senor Dog posted:

I was just making up an example, I wasn't really thinking too hard about it. I'm not even sure New York is its own state in V2.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So I've run into a little problem with Darkest Hour: Hearts of Iron 2. Namely, randomly my save games will inexplicably refuse to load and just crash to desktop without even an error pop-up. It doesn't happen at a specific date, I've had it happen in 1946, and in 1939. I am playing the kaiserreich mod FYI. I have several suspicions why it might be happening. If anyone could tell me if these could be the culprits I would appreciate it.

1)I like to switch countries occasionally to make sure enemy countries have a better chance fighting against me. You know, making them produce tanks, have better ministers in to get more IC. I notice sometimes the game has trouble if I load/quit a game too many times to switch countries. Could this be the culprit?

2)I have modified a few event files to change the AI Chance to choose on a number of events. Yes, I like Kaiserreich's randomness a lot, but sometimes I feel certain outcomes should be much more likely than others, especially when it makes the game more challenging for me.

I am leaning towards number #1 as the culprit. Any other thoughts? Also, is there any way to make the Kaiserreich AI produce tanks? Seems kind of silly that all they do is produce infantry.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Have you checked the error logs? I sometimes got errors when trying to load savegames where AI nations were building some specific ship that was bugged and I had to take that line out.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

GrossMurpel posted:

Have you checked the error logs? I sometimes got errors when trying to load savegames where AI nations were building some specific ship that was bugged and I had to take that line out.

Where would you check that?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Where would you check that?

Well the error I was referring to would always tell you to check savedebug.txt in the main installation folder. I thnk there might also be some kind of error.log file if your game crashes but I don't quite remember.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
All the newer Pdx games save their error logs in My Docs/Paradox Interactive/<Game name>/logs/error.log. I don't know if that's true of HOI2 but it is for HOI3, 4, Vicky2, EU4 and CK2; I would guess it's there

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Allyn posted:

All the newer Pdx games save their error logs in My Docs/Paradox Interactive/<Game name>/logs/error.log. I don't know if that's true of HOI2 but it is for HOI3, 4, Vicky2, EU4 and CK2; I would guess it's there

Doesn't seem like it exists in Darkest Hour unfortunately. Guess I'm stuck not switching between countries, because the save file I just started last night is now crashing now that I am trying to load it again.

EDIT: VVV After some searching, I finally found it for Darkest Hour. Alright, let's see what the problem is.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jul 18, 2017

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Doesn't seem like it exists in Darkest Hour unfortunately. Guess I'm stuck not switching between countries, because the save file I just started last night is now crashing now that I am trying to load it again.

Did you look into Darkest Hour's installation folder?

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

YF-23 posted:

Did you look into Darkest Hour's installation folder?

I found it, and at the very bottom it has this line.

ERROR : (Missing = in statement.) 'Eisenblitz = KvPzWg P.I ' Line = 73659 file = Mods\Kaiserreich for DH 1.8\scenarios\save games\German Empire.eug

So should I go into the save file and find this unit and delete it? Or just get rid of the name? Not sure what the (Missing = in statement) means.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jul 18, 2017

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I found it, and at the very bottom it has this line.

ERROR : (Missing = in statement.) 'Eisenblitz = KvPzWg P.I ' Line = 73659 file = Mods\Kaiserreich for DH 1.8\scenarios\save games\German Empire.eug

So should I go into the save file and find this unit and delete it? Or just get rid of the name? Not sure what the (Missing = in statement) means.

That bug was mentioned here http://cs.servegame.com/kaiserreich/archive/index.php?thread-1981-7.html. Is your KR installation up to date? And it sounds like you could fix it by changing the ' quotation marks to ".
If that doesn't work, yeah just delete the unit from the savegame.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jul 18, 2017

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Kaiserreich for DH 1.8? The current version of Darkest Hour is 1.04

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It's version 1.8 of the mod.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Oh, they could have worded that less confusingly.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Yeah, it's a holdover from when there was a HoI II version.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Not sure of changing the quotation marks since they are all already " and not ', but I deleted the production and the save works fine. Current version of KR too.

Rodnik
Dec 20, 2003
We are starting up a new Saturday EU4 game. Come one, come all!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3827404

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Given this is essentially where any Vicky 2 discussion is based. I feel obliged to link this: