Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Screw the IAEA. It's time to reach out to the Russians and Americans. They get the nuke, we get protection from our employers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Dance Officer posted:

Screw the IAEA. It's time to reach out to the Russians and Americans. They get the nuke, we get protection from our employers.

Do you WANT World War III to be OUR fault?!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

HereticMIND posted:

Think of how many contracts we'll get!

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Loel posted:

Think of how many contracts we'll get!

Think of all the Kill/Capture Orders that'll be placed on us!

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

I think it says something about how hosed this situation is that I'm proposing what I'm referring to as the Escape From Yomi Evacuation Plan because dammit something like this deserves a suitably badass title.

Now everyone, let's not mince words here: we have been hosed. The only good news is that we've been hosed more gently than if we had gone to the BSNC or the Nuge. But the reality is that we've got a shitton of enemies right to our south that can and will turn on us the second we find that nuke. While the specifics of the evac day will have to wait a general strategy can't hurt. Now, our biggest problem is the nuke: it's heavy, obvious, and will have everyone gunning for it. We need something fast if we want to get it out alive.

And wouldn't you know it, there's a fast civilian vessel conveniently beached on St. Lawrence. The yacht may not have the best armor but by the time we get the nuke our enemies are going to want to start whipping out anti-ship missiles like no tomorrow, so defenses are practically irrelevant. We have Cobbie get that yacht back in the water, load up the nuke, and have him book it to Midway as fast as he possibly can, maybe blend in with civilian traffic. We'll obviously have as much CAP as we can support.

This leaves our equally valuable planes: the AWACS, our tankers, our transport, losing any of these would be catastrophic. We need somewhere safe. Somewhere we can lie low. Someplace that owes us their freedom.

I'm suggesting we take our planes southwest to Tibet if they can make it around Chinese airspace. God knows both it and the Indians owe us one; time to call in a favor. Hell, we might end up landing at Lhasa of all places if we do that; maybe there will still be Dragon corpses we can take pictures with. If we could I'd even suggest trying to make it to Angola but that's way too far out without resupply.

Sound like something worth considering Hired Goons?

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

And for my next trick, I present Drones Of The World.

My filter criteria were a little more complex this time: crew of 0, takeoff distance > 0 (this excludes things like the Sperwer that get launched from the back of a truck), at least one loadout that's not Ferry/Maintenance/Reserve, no loadouts with the "Target Drone" role, and of course no hypotheticals.

In addition to skipping older/lesser variants of a common frame, I'm also going to exclude a ton of unarmed drones with 30nm EO/IR cameras because there's so many of the drat things. Also the Reaper (:rip:) since we all know and love that one.

All sensor ranges listed are for internal sensors. Except for the Reaper's Gorgon Stare, I don't see a single one that carries external sensors.

Unarmed/Recon Only
  • Swedish UAV 03 Omen: this is an export version of the RQ-7B Shadow 200. The RQ-7B isn't super impressive; this guy's only showing up because it comes from Sweden. 30nm EO, 45nm IR.
  • French Harfang: another export variant, this time of the Israeli Heron. I'm assuming we have better contact with French suppliers than Israeli. 45nm IR, no EO.
  • American MQ-4C Triton: a weird Global Hawk variant that can carry decoys to try to dissuade hostile radar-guided missiles. 30nm EO/IR, 200nm surface search radar, 500nm ELINT.
  • Israeli Hermes 900: this showed up in one of my earlier posts. It can carry an OECM pod or a comms jammer pod (not both at once). Don't you want a comms jammer? 45nm IR, no EO.
Armed
  • Emirati United 40 Blk 6: this is a UAE drone armed with, get this, sonobouys and a single torpedo. Finally, the heart-pounding thrill of sub-hunting combined with the non-stop excitement of piloting a drone, all in one package. Don't say I never did anything for you. What on earth does the UAE need a dedicated MPA drone for anyway? 45nm IR, 30nm EO.
  • Pakistani Burraq: one of approximately a dozen equivalent variants of the Chinese CH-3, itself a Predator knockoff. This showed up earlier as well. Two okay ATGMs. It's probably cheap if we can convince one of our vendors to talk to Pakistan about it. 45nm IR, 30nm EO, and for the first time in this post, 10nm laser designator.
  • Chinese CH-4B Rainbow: the upgraded CH-3. 1x or 2x each of an ATGM and a 50kg HE warhead that's somehow able to target runways?? I can't see that doing much of anything. 45nm IR, 30nm EO, 10nm laser.
  • American MQ-1B Predator: there are a surprising number of American drones that are summarized as "we took a Predator, did X to it, and gave it a new name," including the Reaper. This one's the OG. 2x Hellfire-K or 2x Stinger-E (!?). 100nmIR/EO, 60nm surface search radar (how is this worse than the camera??), 15nm laser.
  • American MQ-1C Gray Eagle: hey look another Predator. This one's got 4x Hellfire-K. 100nm IR/EO again, 20nm surface search radar, 15nm laser, 500nm COMINT.
  • Israeli Heron TP: Remember the French Harfang above? This one's its armed cousin. 2x Spike ER missiles. 45nm IR, no EO, 500nm ELINT.
  • Chinese WD-1K Wing Loong: 2x HJ-10 for armament, so strictly worse than the CH-4B. Sensors are the same: 45nm IR, 30nm EO, 10nm laser.
  • MQ-25A Stingray: The endboss of UCAVs. Take your choice of: 2x JSOW (three different kinds of it), 2x GBU-12 (laser-guided), 2x GBU-32 (GPS), 2 GBU-38 (GPS), 2x GBU-54 (GPS), 8x SDB-II, or a buddy tanker configuration. Oh and it's got a radar signature on par with fifth-generation fighters. 100nm IR, 15nm laser, 500nm ELINT.

Since I'm assuming Stingrays aren't going to be an option the same way Raptors aren't, a single MQ-1C for the COMINT and a couple MQ-1Bs are probably the best bet. Maybe some of those Burraqs if you want to do what we did with the Reaper, except in a way that makes sense. The Hermes 900 is interesting but I literally do not know what a comms jammer does in CMANO and its sensors are mediocre.

Or we just buy a dozen of the United 40s and switch our mission profile to all ASW all the time :getin:

I'd also like to issue a correction: That Mohajer-3 thing showed up in here, making whatever part of CMANO that said it was a Frogfoot full of poo poo. A UAV armed with a laser designator makes way more sense.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Guys, we need to nuke Ted Nugent before Mitsuhashi screws us.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
If we're going to need to cheese it ASAP we should see about reaching out to the Prince and the Sultans First about seeing if they can help with any evac of our stuff for a reasonable fee. They have a decent-ish sea fleet with assets that can help us evac St Lawrence once we get the nuke and all our stuff in Russia. No reason as mercs we can't subcontract stuff out too! :D Though I'm not sure how fast they can move from the Indoneia region to the Bering Sea. Still might be worth a look, since I don't think we can cram everything thing we have into a C-130 and a CN-235.

Also any word from the Dutch on Mitsu's payments to them? Based on how they are handling things so far, if Mitsu is stiffing us on our bonuses I'd hate to see what they are doing to those guys.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Dr. Snark posted:

I'm suggesting we take our planes southwest to Tibet if they can make it around Chinese airspace. God knows both it and the Indians owe us one; time to call in a favor. Hell, we might end up landing at Lhasa of all places if we do that; maybe there will still be Dragon corpses we can take pictures with. If we could I'd even suggest trying to make it to Angola but that's way too far out without resupply.

Sound like something worth considering Hired Goons?

Why not land in Warlord occupied China? I'm sure at least one warlord is happy we blew up some J-20s.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Dreamsicle posted:

Why not land in Warlord occupied China? I'm sure at least one warlord is happy we blew up some J-20s.

Why not become one of the Warlords of China?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

mcclay posted:

Why not become one of the Warlords of China?

Not an emptyquote

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Aaaaaah that moment when all of my arguments run counter to my burning desire to gently caress CHINA

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

HereticMIND posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A_YEsLbLBY

So, should we look at more Vipers? Someone did say the AIM-120C model of F-16 was 'baseline' and we should look at better, but they'd help fill out CAP and CAS as needed. Plenty of options in the specifics too.

This assumes the plan after Africa of 'invest in more dedicated platforms so we don't throw our best air-to-air away because they're busy doing air-to-mud' has been dumped.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

HereticMIND posted:

I see three ways to get us out of this theatre.

1.Talk to the Americans and Russians, explain the situation, tell them they will get the nuke and the actionable intel. In return they make sure SMARF doesn't do any silly things by locking down the theatre.

2. Ally up with Iceberg. They get the nuke, we get paid to kill SMARF, sink Mitsuhashi's fleet and see to Midori Hasegawa dying a violent death. Our (new) employer has already betrayed us so I see no moral argument against this.

3. We airlift Cobbie&co back to Russian soil, bomb SMARF's airfield into dust, tell everyone we're getting out, and leave (hopefully) unopposed)

Of these I think the first two are viable. I would spread my chances and try to pursue both.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Ok suggesting that we turn Ted Nugent into a nuclear power has got to be one of the most insane things I've heard anyone propose ever.

And that's coming from the crazed eco-terrorist who wants to help the whales commit genocide.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 13, 2017

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing
Are we that worried about SMARF anyway? Didn't we kick their rear end last time? We're a little less capable than back then right now, but how much of a threat are they? Are they a problem if we see them coming?

e: my thinking is that we need to figure exactly when SMARF intends to backstab us. If they're going to wait until we've dealt with BSNC and Iceberg or if they're going to hit us right in the middle of the fight.

Anta fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 13, 2017

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Anta posted:

Are we that worried about SMARF anyway? Didn't we kick their rear end last time? We're a little less capable than back then right now, but how much of a threat are they? Are they a problem if we see them coming?

e: my thinking is that we need to figure exactly when SMARF intends to backstab us. If they're going to wait until we've dealt with BSNC and Iceberg or if they're going to hit us right in the middle of the fight.

Somehow both us and SMARF made it out of Angola without fighting eachother

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Anta posted:

SMARF would be like Canada Express in that they fly modern american/american-derived aircraft. Since they come out of airbases on our backline they'd be pretty difficult to deal with at knife-fight range; we'd be trading with them at best.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Anta posted:

We didn't come to blows with SMARF in Angola. They had a force of 6 Korean F16s, 2 Japanese F-2s, and an AEW plane that's similar in performance to our Erieye. I distinctly recall them losing their F16s to the Angolan AF, but to be fair they had a serious numbers disadvantage.

From their outings in the Bering so far we know they still fly the same stuff. What we don't know is how much they have. If they have, say, 15 or more fighters here, they are a serious threat.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
is the FA-50 in production in this timeline? they could be a good budget buy.

Coiler121
May 26, 2017

thatbastardken posted:

is the FA-50 in production in this timeline? they could be a good budget buy.

In-game, they're basically supersonic AMXes in practice. The only thing they offer is JDAM and Maverick capability. Otherwise it's Sidewinders-only AAM loadouts and dumb bombs.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

Groggy nard posted:

Aaaaaah that moment when all of my arguments run counter to my burning desire to gently caress CHINA

BURN or gently caress :china: because there is an important distinction there....

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

power crystals posted:

Armed
[*]Emirati United 40 Blk 6: this is a UAE drone armed with, get this, sonobouys and a single torpedo. Finally, the heart-pounding thrill of sub-hunting combined with the non-stop excitement of piloting a drone, all in one package. Don't say I never did anything for you. What on earth does the UAE need a dedicated MPA drone for anyway? 45nm IR, 30nm EO.

Dunno if you're serious, but the UAE has a really strong reason: it's surrounded by a bunch of independent powers of varying strength, and the UAE's only ocean access is the Gulf of Oman. If someone wanted to royally gently caress with the powers there (Iran, Saudi Arabia, the UAE itself, etc) either for money or politics, they would send a few subs to the region and start torpedoing every large ship in the area. That would be very, very bad for the countries that need access to the Gulf of Oman to import practically everything a modern city needs, so torpedo drones are a fairly smart insurance for a power that can't afford some really pricey navy hardware.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Also the UAE is pretty terrible at keeping their current navy running properly. My Dad works for a company that helps write the maintenance manuals for ships and makes sure all work is being done right and he once went out there to check on some new patrol boats they had ordered. On arriving he found out of the seven ordered they had one running and only barely and that was because they were using parts from the other six. Even then it could just about leave the harbour before having to turn back so I can see why they would need something else. A good warning though about paying and preparing for maintenance of your new equipment.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

thetruegentleman posted:

Dunno if you're serious, but the UAE has a really strong reason: it's surrounded by a bunch of independent powers of varying strength, and the UAE's only ocean access is the Gulf of Oman. If someone wanted to royally gently caress with the powers there (Iran, Saudi Arabia, the UAE itself, etc) either for money or politics, they would send a few subs to the region and start torpedoing every large ship in the area. That would be very, very bad for the countries that need access to the Gulf of Oman to import practically everything a modern city needs, so torpedo drones are a fairly smart insurance for a power that can't afford some really pricey navy hardware.

Fair enough. I stand educated.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Dance Officer posted:

I see three ways to get us out of this theatre.

1.Talk to the Americans and Russians, explain the situation, tell them they will get the nuke and the actionable intel. In return they make sure SMARF doesn't do any silly things by locking down the theatre.

2. Ally up with Iceberg. They get the nuke, we get paid to kill SMARF, sink Mitsuhashi's fleet and see to Midori Hasegawa dying a violent death. Our (new) employer has already betrayed us so I see no moral argument against this.

3. We airlift Cobbie&co back to Russian soil, bomb SMARF's airfield into dust, tell everyone we're getting out, and leave (hopefully) unopposed)

Of these I think the first two are viable. I would spread my chances and try to pursue both.

1. We've already committed to taking the nuke to the IAEA. What makes you think that Russia and the US'll listen to us? They can just take our nuke and then line us all up to be shot.

2. Oh, sure. THAT'LL go over smoothly. We kill Midori and we get a rep for being disloyal, greedy assholes.

3. Airlift Cobbie out, yes. Scorch the Earth behind us, maybe. Leave unopposed? Whatever gave you the idea THAT was ever an option?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
What loyalty do we have to Midori, international nuclear criminal. If we're no longer being paid, I see no reason not to go public with everything we know and pull out.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

sniper4625 posted:

What loyalty do we have to Midori, international nuclear criminal. If we're no longer being paid, I see no reason not to go public with everything we know and pull out.

We'll need proof. Like that nuke.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
It seems to me that Midori is just after the $$$$$. SMARF is one thing, but she's the kind of person who will deal.

If we have no other good options, once we have the nuke, we can blackmail our Japanese corporate overlords on our silence, because if we say something it means war with Russia and/or China.

We're also propped up by American investors, so the USA may be one of the safer places we can land after a hot exit. And it seems to me that deliberately putting recon elements over St. Lawrence Island mean the USA may be wanting to retake their land, which could be the out of all outs. That said, I wouldn't count on it without a deal in place.

Worst comes to worst, the Angolan government really likes us :v:

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Night10194 posted:

We'll need proof. Like that nuke.

We have Hasegawa-san's own confession and a bunch of documents to substantiate it. We've got the proof.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

sniper4625 posted:

I see no reason not to go public with everything we know and pull out.

Well, there's that whole "would probably start a world war or at the absolute least get Japan leveled" thing....

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Crazycryodude posted:

Well, there's that whole "would probably start a world war or at the absolute least get Japan leveled" thing....

Not really seeing a downside here.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

power crystals posted:

Not really seeing a downside here.

Tbf, radiation isn't visible to the naked eye.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

HereticMIND posted:

3. Airlift Cobbie out, yes. Scorch the Earth behind us, maybe. Leave unopposed? Whatever gave you the idea THAT was ever an option?

And who exactly would be left to oppose us, lol. Iceberg is down to one damaged Hornet, BSNC lost so much they spent the last mission sending out Supertweets, and SMARF will be wrecked. Plus, we also have Cobbie and his yobboes to defend us against any land attacks if we fly them back to base.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Dance Officer posted:

And who exactly would be left to oppose us, lol. Iceberg is down to one damaged Hornet, BSNC lost so much they spent the last mission sending out Supertweets, and SMARF will be wrecked. Plus, we also have Cobbie and his yobboes to defend us against any land attacks if we fly them back to base.

Iceberg is NOT down to a single Hornet. They're down to a single Hornet and a significant ground force screaming towards Cobbie and co. Sure, aerially we can keep the skies clear, but getting Cobbie out is going to be harder than you think considering what a hard time we had getting onto the island.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Serpentis posted:

Iceberg is NOT down to a single Hornet. They're down to a single Hornet and a significant ground force screaming towards Cobbie and co. Sure, aerially we can keep the skies clear, but getting Cobbie out is going to be harder than you think considering what a hard time we had getting onto the island.

I'm actually fairly sure the airlift will be easy. Iceberg is a non-issue for Cobbie&co regardless. What's looking like a decent BSNC ground force stands between them. All we need to do is kill the remaining manpads/send our helis one mile south and it'll safe and good to go.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Dance Officer posted:

I'm actually fairly sure the airlift will be easy. Iceberg is a non-issue for Cobbie&co regardless. What's looking like a decent BSNC ground force stands between them. All we need to do is kill the remaining manpads/send our helis one mile south and it'll safe and good to go.

I'm not sure if our Mi-8s can airlift out the nuke and the wounded...

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Davin Valkri posted:

I'm not sure if our Mi-8s can airlift out the nuke and the wounded...

You get him a landing strip, Pike's willing to try a combat extraction.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Serpentis posted:

Tbf, radiation isn't visible to the naked eye.

Radiation is all your eyes can detect.

Yes, I know, not that kind of radiation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

sniper4625 posted:

Yes I'm sure the people who pay for mercenary air forces will just line the gently caress up to hire guys everyone knows air your dirty secrets after they leave.