Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You can look at this as a bunch of simulacra trying to convince a single entity, for whose attention the simulation was created, to see a moral dimension to its interaction with them.

The twist is literally that you were playing a computer game the whole time.

As video games have become more popular we've started to see more in this vein, for example the premise of Prey is similar to the premise of Westworld.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

You can look at this as a bunch of simulacra trying to convince a single entity, for whose attention the simulation was created, to see a moral dimension to its interaction with them.

The twist is literally that you were playing a computer game the whole time.

As video games have become more popular we've started to see more in this vein, for example the premise of Prey is similar to the premise of Westworld.

Doesn't look like anything to me

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

double nine posted:

Might have asked this before, but how does the looking glass work from a game engine perspective? I assumed it was doing a thing where the glass was actually acting as a sort of portal to the scene being shown, and if you could noclip through walls you could probably go find that room somewhere outside the level. Sort of like the lava boss in Quake 1, where the gibs raining from the sky after you kill it are actually coming from enemies in a monster closet located outside the level boundaries. Speed runners were using the GLOO Gun to abuse out-of-bounds glitches a lot when the game launched, did they ever find anything like that?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

double nine posted:

Here the perceptual limitations of the simulated humans are played straight, the Player/Typhon has telepathic and telekinetic powers as well as an origin outside of reality as far as they are concerned.

Speaking of tiny creatures of no consequence, why won't Sarah Elazar give me the code to Cargo Bay B even though I have four turrets pointed at the door?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Basically everyone should just read Blindsight by Peter Watts, especially since it's up for free online straight from the author.

Although I wasn't that impressed with the sequel Echopraxia which seems to shift from "a transhuman modified in this way is better at pattern-matching and decision-making that the usual human" into "people modified in this way can semi-magically communicate with each other across isolated rooms by implanting subliminal messages in their interrogators".

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Arglebargle III posted:

Speaking of tiny creatures of no consequence, why won't Sarah Elazar give me the code to Cargo Bay B even though I have four turrets pointed at the door?

You have to actually put the turrets in the blue area directly in front of the door.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Palpek posted:

People who enjoy the theme of impossible communication with an alien race because of how limited human experience and imagination of such an interaction is would probably enjoy sci-fi books from Lem. Solaris is a big recommendation in that regard - it actually shares many themes with this game. It helps that Lem was one of the best and most intelligent sci-fi authors ever.

Or Watts' Blindsight. :v:

I would not be surprised if mimics and their movement were inspired.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Shnakepup posted:

Exactly. I was thinking of the novel Blindsight by Peter Watts; basically, that sentience and sapience are different things that don't necessarily have to occur together. The Typhon potentially sabotaging stuff doesn't automatically mean they're conscious or self-aware. Maybe it's possible that all the Typhon we see in the game are being guided/controlled by the Alpha Typhon, hive-mind style or like they're it's individual "limbs".

:argh:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Might have asked this before, but how does the looking glass work from a game engine perspective?

quote:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/06/27/prey-typhon-design/

Emmanuel: The fish tank works like all other Looking Glass occurrences found throughout the game. It’s a 3D scene that is built inside the level, just like the rest of the rooms, but it’s displayed exclusively on the glass surface, like a portal in other games. That technology is vital for the story and was subject to many iterations and optimizations, especially to make the glass look correct when you break it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Concept artists were in on it man! :tinfoil:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

One thing that story absolutely nails is including the most alien alien of all. I like what he did there. A physical Chinese room :cool:. Blindsight can be read free online if anyone wants to check it out.

I don't even know what wall just got broken.

Blindsight is really, really good. The only knock on it is the info dumps of whatever cool science Watts just read about. I didn't mind but some people will.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Okay, you have all convinced me, Blindslight is next in my reading queue.

And yeah, the first thing I thought of when I saw the looking glass stuff was oldskool Quake/UT-era skyboxes. I have seen a lot of youtubers really impressed with it and it is a really nicely done effect, but it's still pretty much a breakable skybox.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Basic Chunnel posted:

The things mind controlled dudes say directly contradicts this

That's the explanation given for how it works, though.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So, I just found this.
What I find hilarious is 1. This manchild feeling the need to go out of his way to poo poo on the game for his poor taste, or 2. the fact that the dipshits in the comments are helping reinforce his terrible opinions.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

VolticSurge posted:

So, I just found this.
What I find hilarious is 1. This manchild feeling the need to go out of his way to poo poo on the game for his poor taste, or 2. the fact that the dipshits in the comments are helping reinforce his terrible opinions.

It's pretty much everyone's opinion outside of SA here that the game is very mediocre at best, and flat out boring as poo poo for most at worst. As a result, didn't sell for poo poo either.

(Didn't watch the video)

With that said, I find all of Arkane's games boring as poo poo to me and cannot get into them at all.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Utnayan posted:

It's pretty much everyone's opinion outside of SA here that the game is very mediocre at best, and flat out boring as poo poo for most at worst. As a result, didn't sell for poo poo either.

(Didn't watch the video)

With that said, I find all of Arkane's games boring as poo poo to me and cannot get into them at all.

I edited my post because I was being an rear end in a top hat. It worries me a bit you're following the thread of a game you hate by a company you dislike though.

Who does that :stonk:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 13, 2017

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

he probably came in here to defend his video

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

VolticSurge posted:

So, I just found this.

"This is not a review, this is just me explaining why I dislike this game"

It's worse than clickbait, it's lazy clickbait

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

This game is a good metroidshock.

It is a little deliberate in the beginning and that's not helped by the player's slow speed and small health pool in the first few hours. It can be "oh there's finally something to do oh i died"

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

I edited my post because I was being an rear end in a top hat. It worries me a bit you're following the thread of a game you hate by a company you dislike though.

Who does that :stonk:

The same one that goes outside of a thread to post a video they disagree with defending a game they like? I just happened to click on this and see if anything was new (It isn't) and low and behold I see a guy who sounds like they are taking literal hardship offense about what someone outside of their bubble thinks of their game.

In the end, what that poster said was wrong. Most find the game boring, convoluted to play from a combat perspective, and needlessly uninspired from an enemy point of view. It shows directly in the sales of said game and with most feedback outside of this thread.

/Shrug.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The game probably didn't sell well because it's basically a remake of a game that didn't sell well in the first place.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Utnayan posted:

The same one that goes outside of a thread to post a video they disagree with defending a game they like? I just happened to click on this and see if anything was new (It isn't) and low and behold I see a guy who sounds like they are taking literal hardship offense about what someone outside of their bubble thinks of their game.

In the end, what that poster said was wrong. Most find the game boring, convoluted to play from a combat perspective, and needlessly uninspired from an enemy point of view. It shows directly in the sales of said game and with most feedback outside of this thread.

/Shrug.

Really sad and weird.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Really sad and weird.

Kind of like Arkane's financial performance over their last 3 titles compared to over-hyping a studio from a viral stand point. Which is why Raphael Colantonio said adios.

If they had talent to make the UI, enemies, story, art, animations, player tools, interesting mechanics; as they had the one good ability they have in making open ended level design, I am sure they actually might be doing better than they are. I won't be surprised to see Arkane shuttered in less than a year.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Yea yea whatever man.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Be careful dude. Your hateboner is showing.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Holy poo poo this game is amazing. I thought I had got the hang of it, then suddenly there's hard as nails enemies everywhere and I'm bleeding health packs and ammo. I'm Nope'ing out of scary rooms, and had to do do a convoluted detour over art deco ceiling hangings to get to my office without being spotted by Them.

This is game design at amazing heights.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Utnayan posted:

/Shrug.

You, like most people, have absolutely atrocious taste.

Enjoy your american cheese and mayo sandwiches.

/Shrug

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Bug Squash posted:

Holy poo poo this game is amazing. I thought I had got the hang of it, then suddenly there's hard as nails enemies everywhere and I'm bleeding health packs and ammo. I'm Nope'ing out of scary rooms, and had to do do a convoluted detour over art deco ceiling hangings to get to my office without being spotted by Them.

This is game design at amazing heights.

It basically be the perfect game if there was a little more enemy and weapon variety.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I echo enemy variety but Prey has

A pistol and a shotgun (common)

The GLOO GUN

A long-range electrical stun gun

A radiation laser with infinite range and splash damage

A non-violent physics/trajectory gun

3 different grenades and a lure

4 kinds of psychokinetic attacks

The Lift Biotic ability from Mass effect

Like what other weapon did you want? I found the distinct lack of military grade weaponry to be a breath of fresh air and wish more games would dare to eschew assault and sniper rifles from every game. My only complaint is that EMP/NULLWAVE could have just been one item and the game would have been stronger for it, because it would require you to pick and choose more as opposed to just always have 5 of both on you and making it non-choice.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 14, 2017

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

its been a while since the gluon gun from half life has been in a game

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Utnayan posted:

Kind of like Arkane's financial performance over their last 3 titles compared to over-hyping a studio from a viral stand point. Which is why Raphael Colantonio said adios.

If they had talent to make the UI, enemies, story, art, animations, player tools, interesting mechanics; as they had the one good ability they have in making open ended level design, I am sure they actually might be doing better than they are. I won't be surprised to see Arkane shuttered in less than a year.

your video is poo poo and you look like a dweeb

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

TWIST FIST posted:

your video is poo poo and you look like a dweeb

I think the poster of that original link is the maker of said video. Click bait at its finest.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Utnayan posted:

I think the poster of that original link is the maker of said video. Click bait at its finest.

Problem with that logic- I'm a fatass Canadian. Not a British guy.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 13, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I echo enemy variety but Prey has

A pistol and a shotgun (common)

A long-range electrical stun gun

A radiation laser with infinite range and splash damage

A non-violent physics/trajectory gun

3 different grenades and a lure

4 kinds of psychokinetic attacks

The Lift Biotic ability from Mass effect

Like what other weapon did you want? I found the distinct lack of military grade weaponry to be a breath of fresh air and wish more games would dare to eschew assault and sniper rifles from every game. My only complaint is that EMP/NULLWAVE could have just been one item and the game would have been stronger for it, because it would require you to pick and choose more as opposed to just always have 5 of both on you and making it non-choice.

You forgot thrown refrigerators, the human-only-run MVP.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

VolticSurge posted:

I'm a British guy but I didn't make that video. If I did, it'd be 50 ways to kill Alex.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

I mainly just wanted another cool sciencey weapon to go a long with the q-beam. In fact just go the deadspace route and have most of the weapons be re purposed tools or weird science experiments.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

VolticSurge posted:

I love Canada!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Cnidaria posted:

I mainly just wanted another cool sciencey weapon to go a long with the q-beam. In fact just go the deadspace route and have most of the weapons be re purposed tools or weird science experiments.

They had another weapon planned which was some sort of disc launcher, but either ran out of time or decided it didn't fit with the gameplay. A modder was able to make it so the fabricators generate an untextured model of it, and you can also see disc containers on shelves all over the station but probably never knew what they were.

So what I'm saying is that they should put the Javelin Gun from DS2 in Prey.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

They had another weapon planned which was some sort of disc launcher, but either ran out of time or decided it didn't fit with the gameplay. A modder was able to make it so the fabricators generate an untextured model of it, and you can also see disc containers on shelves all over the station but probably never knew what they were.

So what I'm saying is that they should put the Javelin Gun from DS2 in Prey.

Hello future DLC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Hope so, be neat to have something scoped with long range. I think someone mentioned earlier it was an AI gun with a personality, that has a quest associated with it after its killed a certain amount of things.

Kind of semi similar to the Borderlands 2 quest.