Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

GunnerJ posted:

Not really a fan of this.

I'm skeptical as well. I hope they focus more on the language and tone rather than over the top cartoonish voices. I remember the Utopia release date trailer and thinking that it really did a good job of setting the mood without being cheesy:

https://youtu.be/YmvGlBFaFEU

Instead, I'm getting a bad vibe, especially that militarist VO. "Cry havok" is such an over used line, you either need to nail it or don't even try. What they have there sounds like some cheesy unit cue from like Warcraft 2 or something.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Yeah, we definitely should have put the audio director up to fleshing out gameplay mechanics instead, that would have ended well. :confused:

EDIT: I can understand the frustration, but you're smarter than this.

LordMune fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 13, 2017

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

so uh, since you have multiple voices, but an empire isn't just militarist, or xenophobic but a combination of ethics, how does that work? does the thing just switch voice all the time or is there a voice for each combination?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think having an omnicidal AI assistant is a great idea personally.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I don't mind DOTA-style announcer packs but the preview is underwhelming.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
VO selection happens in the settings menu, only if you choose "Automatic" will the game base it on your Fanatic ethos (or a (weighted) random one if you roll with three ethics).

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

LordMune posted:

Yeah, we definitely should have put the audio director up to fleshing out gameplay mechanics instead, that would have ended well. :confused:
The Blorg national anthem would have made all other problems appear insignificant.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

LordMune posted:

I very much understand how game development works. Yes, he's the audio guy and should work on audio. But the money you're spending on writing, casting voice actors, editing, recording studio time (maybe you do this in-house, I dunno?), etc. could instead be focused on paying someone to make ground combat actually fun or getting some extra programming hours in on making those end game crises actually interesting or dynamic instead of a boring slog.

And so we're clear, I'm not foaming at the mouth with rage over here. I just haven't been encouraged by the last several dev diaries and don't see myself reinstalling Stellaris anytime soon.

LordMune posted:

Well we'll just have to agree to disagree on this point. :colbert:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

4X goons continue to goon, news at eleven.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Art team do art, code team do code, we've had this argument a billion times before and probably will have it a billion more. Can we just skip it this time?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

No but see, you take the art team's money to have the code team do more code because money=instant results and also you'll totally be able to keep the art team around because

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

LordMune posted:

are u sure

:thunk:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I think it's cool. :shobon:

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I don't know about you guys, but when developing my games once I have the aesthetics at an acceptable level I set the artists to Processing so my coders grow faster.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Psycho Landlord posted:

No but see, you take the art team's money to have the code team do more code because money=instant results and also you'll totally be able to keep the art team around because

Maybe you have less artists on staff and more coders? Just spitballing here.

Maybe you also actually have a design philosophy and end goal in mind instead of madly scrambling from item to item putting in placeholder fixes you'll just have to revamp six months down the line. Or maybe you fix what you have instead of constantly stapling on new features that themselves need to be fixed along with everything else.

I know the simple defense is to state that I clearly just don't understand how video game gets made, but Stellaris isn't really getting better or deeper, it's just getting more. And if you're happy with that then bully for you, but I'm finding it disappointing. The experience is still really shallow well past launch and I think that's unfortunate.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

LordMune posted:

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Maybe you have less artists on staff and more coders? Just spitballing here.

Maybe you also actually have a design philosophy and end goal in mind instead of madly scrambling from item to item putting in placeholder fixes you'll just have to revamp six months down the line. Or maybe you fix what you have instead of constantly stapling on new features that themselves need to be fixed along with everything else.

I know the simple defense is to state that I clearly just don't understand how video game gets made, but Stellaris isn't really getting better or deeper, it's just getting more. And if you're happy with that then bully for you, but I'm finding it disappointing. The experience is still really shallow well past launch and I think that's unfortunate.

The prosecution submits exhibit A to this kangaroo court

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

I think it's definitely improved quite a bit since launch.

The game still starts to feel aimless once the early game ends, because there are no structured goals and no real world history to form a contextual framework, but it's definitely more interesting then launch.

I also find a 600 star galaxy gets frustratingly slow mid game. I've got a five(?) year old i5 2.7mhz processor though, so maybe that's getting a little long in the tooth?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

I think it's definitely improved quite a bit since launch.

The game still starts to feel aimless once the early game ends, because there are no structured goals and no real world history to form a contextual framework, but it's definitely more interesting then launch.

I also find a 600 star galaxy gets frustratingly slow mid game. I've got a five(?) year old i5 2.7mhz processor though, so maybe that's getting a little long in the tooth?

I've got a similar processor and it used to run slow, but one thing they have been improving consistently seems to be performance. I don't really get slowdowns much at all anymore.

And it's definitely better, but I still think it's far short of where I would be excited to keep playing it. I feel like I've done everything the game has to offer at this point and painting the map my color or wearing down the Unbidden for the umpteenth time isn't really appealing.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

How long ago did you stop playing the game, Wicked

I want to know how long I have to wait before I, too, can tell the Stellaris devs exactly what they are doing wrong because I am the authority due to not playing their game

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It's better to fire the entire audio team once you're done with them for a few weeks and then replace them later on. It's stupid to keep trained developers who know the game, engine and company around during downtime, when you could instead just fire them and hire a new coder who will need to learn the game and engine, especially when you can just fire that coder later and hire a new sound team who will need to

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Wisdom

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Oh, are we doing the thing where we can't discuss the game unless it's positive and we pretend the devs can do no wrong? But in answer to your question that was surely asked in good faith, I stopped playing a few months back.

turn off the TV posted:

It's better to fire the entire audio team once you're done with them for a few weeks and then replace them later on. It's stupid to keep trained developers who know the game, engine and company around during downtime, when you could instead just fire them and hire a new coder who will need to learn the game and engine, especially when you can just fire that coder later and hire a new sound team who will need to

Actually scaling down teams after release is super normal? This isn't some small indie studio, it's a large game developer running multiple concurrent projects. I assume Paradox moved a bunch of people off of this game and onto other projects after 1.0.

I just happen to think voice packs and extra diplomacy room visuals are nice, but a poor focus for the remaining team members. But I guess that makes me a moron who doesn't get the complexities of game development.

Edit: this discussion isn't going to go anywhere and the devs will do whatever it is they do, assuming they even know what they want to do, so I'm just going to bow out. Hope I'm wrong and the game actually gets some real depth at some point.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 13, 2017

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

Agreed and I think it's a very nice touch.

Also I really liked the Xenophobe VO, Miltarist is cheesy but fun, and the Borg are cool.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Fintilgin posted:

:agreed:

I just happen to think voice packs and extra diplomacy room visuals are nice, but a poor focus for the remaining team members.
So what should the art people be doing instead?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

:agreed:

So what should the art people be doing instead?

Nevets posted:

I don't know about you guys, but when developing my games once I have the aesthetics at an acceptable level I set the artists to Processing so my coders grow faster.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Actually scaling down teams after release is super normal? This isn't some small indie studio, it's a large game developer running multiple concurrent projects. I assume Paradox moved a bunch of people off of this game and onto other projects after 1.0.

Have team members working on new projects, you say?

quote:

For the upcoming Story Pack we felt that we wanted to experiment with VIR, our friendly advisor, see how it would feel to have different set of VO cues depending on your Empire’s ethic.

:thunk:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pyroi posted:

I really hope it's that over the top for doing everything, not just military things.
:same: I want to hear "Tile blocker ANNIHILATED" *several seconds of deranged cackling*

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Oh, are we doing the thing where we can't discuss the game unless it's positive and we pretend the devs can do no wrong? But in answer to your question that was surely asked in good faith, I stopped playing a few months back.

No, it's perfectly fine to criticize gameplay. Most of the people who are in here making GBS threads on you do that pretty frequently. Stellaris isn't a perfect game, and if there are things you don't like about it as a game, you should point them out. Maybe the devs will tweak it to be a bit more to your liking. That part's fine.

We're making fun of you because, instead of doing that, you told the devs how to actually spend their money and time on the development side of things, which is a supremely goony thing to do. You can talk up understanding game development all you want to, but you're not a Stellaris dev, you don't know what's going on with the team, and also you said a really loving stupid thing about personnel management so you don't actually understand game development that well at all, as it turns out.

So yeah, do the first thing I talked about, and not the thing you are doing, otherwise we're going to keep making fun of you. Though I kinda hope you keep doing the thing you're doing, because it's funny and I like shitposting.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Oh, are we doing the thing where we can't discuss the game unless it's positive and we pretend the devs can do no wrong?

No.

Citation: nobody has given me any poo poo for saying I don't like this new voice thing.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
The best update for me was the one where setting the voice off would be remembered next time I launched the game. You got so many messages at once at mid-game it's just horrible, did that ever get better?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hello.

You have no loving clue what you're babbling about.

Regards, the Stellaris team. :)

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Maybe the audio guy could record the entire team saying Shut Up and Wiz could post it in this terrible thread

edit: ha, beaten

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Doesn't Paradox's sound team just work on all of their games? That seems like a better way to do it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In addition to my earlier statement about the appeal of all-hating AIs, I also think the voices recorded are actually really fun sounding.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Would you be interested in a trade agreement with England?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

I very much understand how game development works. Yes, he's the audio guy and should work on audio. But the money you're spending on writing, casting voice actors, editing, recording studio time (maybe you do this in-house, I dunno?), etc. could instead be focused on paying someone to make ground combat actually fun or getting some extra programming hours in on making those end game crises actually interesting or dynamic instead of a boring slog.

And so we're clear, I'm not foaming at the mouth with rage over here. I just haven't been encouraged by the last several dev diaries and don't see myself reinstalling Stellaris anytime soon.

Well we'll just have to agree to disagree on this point. :colbert:

Whose to say they aren't doing both and just wanted to show us something cool?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

LordAbaddon posted:

Speaking of the Borg, I'm hoping that future updates allow synthetic empires to convert to hive mind

I'm actually hoping they add the option for authoritarian empires to convert. I want to be able to do a special project that forces my pops to become hive minds or leave.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Azuth0667 posted:

Whose to say they aren't doing both and just wanted to show us something cool?

spoiler: it's this.

Reminder that most of Paradox's devs are currently on vacation and every dev diary released until like August is going to be fluffy and hopefully cool stuff like this.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Stellaris isn't really getting better or deeper, it's just getting more.
Most of what you're saying is nonsense but this actually sums up the state of things pretty well imo

Tarquinn posted:

Would you be interested in a trade agreement with England?

still can't get over the amount of extra animation/VO work firaxis gave themselves in order to put out that awful loving feature =/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Me neither.

And while it's nice that they keep adding lots of flavor things it might be better if they focused on actually making the base gameplay enjoyable. Off the top of my head: fleet combat sucks, not having a fleet builder sucks, ground combat sucks, there's nothing to do that isn't forever war, end crises are boring, there's no espionage, and diplomacy is anemic at best and basically pointless at worst. And then there's the unity mechanic, which was a desperate attempt to tack on something to permit different playstyles, but ultimately boils down to choosing in what order you'll tick off a series of either minor or gamebreaking upgrades.

Be nice if this game had some sort of actual end goal for what it wants to be. I have no idea where this is supposed to be a year from now. Except that it will apparently have voice acting for some reason.

The people doing VO aren't the people programming combat

E: beaten like a pacifist xenophile

• Locked thread