Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Rhyno posted:

That hair makes me question my sexuality.

Seriously, so hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

SonicRulez posted:

Trust me when I say that would not have looked anywhere near as good as you are picturing.

I dunno. I always imagine the symbiote suit/Venom as being oily black tar, and it's supposed to look unnatural because it's alien. It couldn't be that hard to make something like that work in a movie.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jamesman posted:

I dunno. I always imagine the symbiote suit/Venom as being oily black tar, and it's supposed to look unnatural because it's alien. It couldn't be that hard to make something like that work in a movie.

Pretty sure I remember them saying that they did screentest that kind of look but it didn't do well. And that doesn't mean that it can't be done in any film but maybe their specific cinematography choices for the movie/series overall weren't compatible.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I really liked what they did in the spetacular spider man cartoon. They start with it being the spider man 3 version of the symbiote costume and it slowly changes to the regular symbiote costume.

Wouldn't work for a movie though, granted.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Yeah I'm not saying it could NEVER work or even that it couldn't work in like Homecoming 2. I just don't think it would've worked then.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The symbiote suit would have looked a ton better if they just made the lines a bit thinner and stick out less, while making his emblem white and a bit bigger. It doesn't stick out at all how it is.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The symbiote suit would have looked a ton better if they just made the lines a bit thinner and stick out less, while making his emblem white and a bit bigger. It doesn't stick out at all how it is.

It looked way more like Armor Spidey than any alien thing.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Was there ever a _____ Goblin made of blood called the HemoGoblin? Or is that something my dad addled brain came up with? It seems like that might be a thing in the 90s, like hobgoblin with a Carnage symbiote or something.

They had ample opportunity to, but instead went with the somehow even dumber Demogoblin

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
What about a homeless version who flies around with a handkerchief wrapped around his glider with all his possessions, Hobogoblin?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm thinking a snooty one who always criticizing hobo-goblin for being poor, the snobgoblin.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's also one that's all of your mothers, called the Knobgobblin'.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
George Bluth, Jr., fell off his Segway and broke his leg, blames Spider-Man for it and swears vengeance. The GobHobblin.

Okay that was a stretch.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
The Cobgoblin

he's made of corn, I'll be waiting on my phone call Marvel

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Really bad at GoldenEye, the Klobbgoblin

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
My Dad. BobGoblin

The guy who gets the other goblins to do the work for him, the Fob-Goblin

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
A Ferengi, NogGoblin.

Alternatively, a Christmas drink.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Pretty much this. All they did in SM3 was take the existing costume and remove the color pallet.

The limited stuff they did with Toper Grace/Venom looked fine and would have worked for a black Spidey suit. Out of all my complaints with that piece of poo poo movie, the special effects were way, way down on my list. Actually that was one of the few bright spots in the film. The Sandman, Venom and even the Goblin Jr. effects were the very least of that movie's issues and they were often spectacular.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

There's so much to love about Spidey homecoming but right now I am really appreciating the sillier moments, like, "Spider-Man, DO A FLIP" and Peter getting smashed through a school bus by the Shocker, looking up and seeing all that chewed gum stuck under the seats and going, "EW GROSS"

This movie was a straight up comedy and it owns bones.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Woah, are you like, the spider guy? From YouTube?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The whole interrogation scene was full of great bits.

The Batman voice.
"I'm not a woman! I'm a boy! I mean, I'm a man!"
Everything Donald Glover
"Those webs will dissolve in 2 hours." "But I got ice cream in here!" "You're a criminal, you deserve it."

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I don't know why "Do a flip" is so funny to me. Maybe because he actually does it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dexo posted:

Black Panther image drop.

Looks real loving good.(besides the photoshops on the group picture of course.)

Kasumba is a badass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAxc4Dk7Vzg

I'm gonna have to go again and watch the trailer

edit: then I watched the ragnorok trailer. Too many good movies! Too many!!!

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 14, 2017

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

I don't know why "Do a flip" is so funny to me. Maybe because he actually does it.

Superheroes were introduced to civilians of the MCU basically by Avengers 1 and all that wild poo poo going down and aliens and gods and flying metal snakes and poo poo

8 years later, there's a little folk hero who posts videos of himself jumping around and stopping bike theives on Youtube and he's just a cute little fad you show your friends, all "Hey look that Egoraptor animator guy is making Let's Plays now he says some funny stuff sometimes, check it out man"

And then you run into Egoraptor on the street and just like "Hey are you that grumpy guy from youtube? Say something funny"

And it's the same thing.

Captain America is a WWII hero frozen in time who runs around with a green monster and the god of thunder and here's some fifth tier superhero who jumps good, and you see him on the street and you say "Oh hey it's that guy from youtube who jumps around and stuff. Do a flip!"

And it's just this wonderful little bit of character work / world building all in one, he really is just this small-town folk hero who people only know because he has a youtube channel with a few thousand subscribers

And then he becomes a big deal after the whole DC thing, I guess. Pete's probably getting that ad money now.

Actually Peter monetizing videos of Spider-man on YouTube is a hilarious take on him being a semi-professional photojournalist in the modern age.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Hey Spider-Man, do a flip!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_5GJCW_Jjo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKLAvF8cvzM

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The only good anything about the first 3 spider-man movies was the ER scene from 2 when they try to remove the arms from Otto and the movie switches to a Raimi horror flick.

Aphrodite posted:

Sam Raimi was a generic indie hack before Spider-Man.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sockser posted:

Actually Peter monetizing videos of Spider-man on YouTube is a hilarious take on him being a semi-professional photojournalist in the modern age.

He's also pretty well guaranteed a job at Stark Industries, too. I don't really read comics, but the movie versions of Peter have always struck me as more entry-level mad scientist than professional photojournalist in the making, and I could easily see this version of Peter becoming a professional chemist, using and improving his web fluid formula.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Sockser posted:

This was easily the second best line in the film, ranking only behind "I think this guy is a war criminal or something now, but whatever."

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I keep seeing references for maybe making Uncle Ben "one of the four people who died in the Battle of New York" so this is saying that apparently only four people died during the end of Avengers 1? Confirm/Deny

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I liked how there was that whole thing that in the suburbs, there's no place for Spider-Man to swing from so he's got to run.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Calaveron posted:

I keep seeing references for maybe making Uncle Ben "one of the four people who died in the Battle of New York" so this is saying that apparently only four people died during the end of Avengers 1? Confirm/Deny
God its kind of weird that only 4 people died in that Battle for New York

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

God its kind of weird that only 4 people died in that Battle for New York

It was like a hundred 9/11s
Like one of Hulk's temper tantrums should've killed like, at least 50 people

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Calaveron posted:

I heard that the numbers were really small, considering the scope of the invasion but I cannot believe a number that small.

But even worse, that negates the whole "power/responsibility" shtick that is the core of the character. I mean, OK, at the end of the day, Peter really is just that good of a person. But that scenario means that either a) Peter was unable to save Ben, even with all of his power, in which case he doesn't learn the lesson about responsibility due to his actions; or b) Peter could have saved Uncle Ben, and didn't, which makes him directly responsible for his death, but that would be way too evil.

Everyone knows the origin stories of Batman and Superman and Spider-man, so it's OK to not have to tell them again. But that doesn't mean you get to change THE KEY ELEMENT of said story. Batman's origin doesn't really work as well if he was left at home that night and Thomas and Martha went out on their own. Changing where Superman's pod lands has been a go-to for elseworlds stories over the years, and it makes a difference to the character. Having Ben die to random chance rather than Peter's hubris being responsible would potentially make a big difference.

On that topic, I have not seen homecoming yet, do they show any pictures of Ben at any point? I want to know how much they de-aged him for the movie.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

I heard that the numbers were really small, considering the scope of the invasion but I cannot believe a number that small.

But even worse, that negates the whole "power/responsibility" shtick that is the core of the character. I mean, OK, at the end of the day, Peter really is just that good of a person. But that scenario means that either a) Peter was unable to save Ben, even with all of his power, in which case he doesn't learn the lesson about responsibility due to his actions; or b) Peter could have saved Uncle Ben, and didn't, which makes him directly responsible for his death, but that would be way too evil.

Everyone knows the origin stories of Batman and Superman and Spider-man, so it's OK to not have to tell them again. But that doesn't mean you get to change THE KEY ELEMENT of said story. Batman's origin doesn't really work as well if he was left at home that night and Thomas and Martha went out on their own. Changing where Superman's pod lands has been a go-to for elseworlds stories over the years, and it makes a difference to the character. Having Ben die to random chance rather than Peter's hubris being responsible would potentially make a big difference.

On that topic, I have not seen homecoming yet, do they show any pictures of Ben at any point? I want to know how much they de-aged him for the movie.

Not even mentioned by name, just the whole "May's been through a lot recently" paraphrase

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
They say in Civil War and Daredevil that "hundreds" died in New York. Some people think that is too little and Marvel is sanitizing destruction for babies.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

CzarChasm posted:

Batman's origin doesn't really work as well if he was left at home that night and Thomas and Martha went out on their own.

I just finished watching that Shadows of the Bat documentary someone posted and, apparently, in Batman Forever they explored the idea of the Waynes wanting to stay home that night but Bruce insisted they go to the movies, which I think adds a layer of pathos to the character. Shame they left that part out.

Batman Forever is a little underrated I think. It's not great but there's a lot of cool stuff going on in it, especially from a visual standpoint. Kilmer, Carey, Kidman and O'Donnell are pretty good in it to varying degrees. TLJ just seems lost and, yeah, it's pretty corny at times but it's not the piece of poo poo people make it out to be. I remember enjoying in the theater.

Watching that doc, it seems pretty obvious too that Keaton was the best Batman too. I have mixed feelings about Batman 89 and really love the Nolan trilogy but it's weird that Bale, in spite of being in the best Batman movies, was probably the shittiest Batman of the lot besides Clooney (which really wasn't his fault).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well in Begins he got freaked out by the ballet or Opera, so he's the only reason they're in that alley at the the same time as Chill.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

There's been a lot of stuff in the comics over the years where Bruce either insisted on going to the movie, or insisted that Martha wear the pearls, or that the movie was a celebration of Bruce coming home from a rough boarding school (Morrison's Gothic). It's not so unusual really.

And Jim Carrey is loving unbearable in Forever.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They say in Civil War and Daredevil that "hundreds" died in New York. Some people think that is too little and Marvel is sanitizing destruction for babies.

At one point during the first Avengers you see what the Chitari are doing to civilians. They're just rounding them up, like they're trying to capture them. That's my no-prize answer.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Azzarello's Broken City has Bruce get mad that Thomas tries to cancel going to the movies, and implies that Bruce's last words to them before their deaths was "I hate you." or something similar. People really wanna twist that knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The crazy thing is Joe Chill just robbed a wrestling promotion, and Peter Parker could have stopped him but didn't. He went home with his uncle, who found out about his powers which were cured by Lexcorp in exchange for his company's researching them, to which he was given a top college scholarship and a guaranteed internship.

• Locked thread