Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ashsaber posted:

Daughter Niece was just set dressing really. You don't interact with her, she dies in the opening because of Aiden's actions, and everyone tells you to feel bad. You have no emotional connection to the girl.

Hacker lady apparently messes with you, the player directly. Much more connection.

It's also a massive mishmash of script drafts in WD1. You can pretty much see daughter NIECE written plainly in every line of dialogue in the game.

Watch_Dogs 2 is far and away a better game, and I like the little nods to actual hacker things like the 52Hz Whale. They actually put effort and research into what real hackers/crackers/makers/programmers do to draw from for story ideas, rather than the trainwreck of broody Reddit Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ilmucche posted:

Is he in a wheelchair when you fight him normally? Fhat and waiting him out are pretty cool. Thanks Kojima...

He's in a wheelchair because he's incredibly old and in that scene he's slowly waking up to prepare for the fight later. In the actual fight he picks a spot and snipes at you, it takes place in a huge open area where you can either snipe back or try to locate and sneak up on him.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The best thing about TWAU is being a comically inept detective and the victims just kinda rolling with it.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
He's also really loving fast. It takes about 4 rounds of sneaking up on him to kill him, and he'll run away to a random spot every time.

The area is so massive, it was too big for the PS2 to handle, so it's split across three or four loading screens. You'll probably end up going back and forth across them several times. The thing is intentionally a battle of attrition and is one of the most unique fights in the game. It's a shame it's entirely optional, but you probably needed a guide to skip it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I would go as far as to say it's one of the most unique fights in all of video games, there are very few like it.

Also you can use the Konami Code in the map screen to get his position.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanfy posted:

Every loving time someone brings up MGS3, I learn something new about it even though I played the game to death :suspense:.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

World War Mammories posted:

Cold War and gallows humor, man. Lot of those songs out there, just ask Tom Lehrer.

I would love to hear his take of a Trump Presidency.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Kanfy posted:

Bullshit.

*google search*

What the gently caress..

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Nude posted:

Yeah I think I see what you're getting at, there is no in game reward for killing someone. Games like Undertale you get branching paths so in a weird way it feels like your forced to if you want to see everything, so it feels less genuine.

Well, at least in Undertale specifically, the whole point of the branching paths is that the game can legit call out the player for making awful decisions because they 'want to see everything'. Unlike something like Spec Ops, which tries to go 'oh well if you want to be a good person you could just not play the game', Undertale offers a significantly more satisfying experience, bonus boss aside, if you show some restraint. I still think some people going OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE I AM LITERALLY HITLER is an overreaction, but I also think giving the player the option to not be a jerk is important if you're going to criticize them for being one.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

FredMSloniker posted:

Unlike something like Spec Ops, which tries to go 'oh well if you want to be a good person you could just not play the game' ... but I also think giving the player the option to not be a jerk is important if you're going to criticize them for being one.

Spec Ops, at least the parts dealing with video games, is about what media we choose to indulge in and why, not our behavior in those games. It's why it has sequences very directly cribbing from sections in Call of Duty, Spec Ops takes issue with the popularity of games like CoD and the people who play it. If you're not playing Spec Ops "so you can be a hero" then it's not really criticizing you for playing it.

Also it's still really cool that they used the menu screen to tell a little story. It's a real good use of that space that I'd like to see other games do. Video link for those who haven't played it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

food court bailiff posted:

-The "new" songs are great, I don't think I've turned off the radio to skip a bad song yet this playthrough. Some of the new songs are so on-the-nose to the setting that it's absolutely nuts when they were published. How the hell was Crawl Out Through the Fallout published in 1960?! :psyduck:

Try modding in some fanmade radio stations, a lot of times they use the really hateful, racist, and religious songs from that era that are both completely appropriate for the subject matter yet would never actually be out in the game for obvious reasons.

Kanfy posted:

Also this video is from 11 years ago which is a weird thing to think about.

Both Dramatic Chipmink and I Like Turtles turned 10 a few weeks ago.

Kanfy posted:

I would go as far as to say it's one of the most unique fights in all of video games, there are very few like it.

The fight against Quiet in MGSV: The Phantom Pain felt like a great follow-up to The End even if it played differently. A lot of people complain that V didn't do enough with its open world but having one of the big boss battles of the game occur with zero warning when you get ambushed was awesome and having the fight take place in an actual huge open area instead of a bunch of small broken-up jungle maps like The End made it feel like an actual sniper duel.

FredMSloniker posted:

Unlike something like Spec Ops, which tries to go 'oh well if you want to be a good person you could just not play the game', Undertale offers a significantly more satisfying experience, bonus boss aside, if you show some restraint. I still think some people going OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE I AM LITERALLY HITLER is an overreaction, but I also think giving the player the option to not be a jerk is important if you're going to criticize them for being one.

Walker isn't the player, he's his own character with his own motivations and history who makes his own decisions. The entire point of the game is that it's a criticism of the characters and plots and storytelling of war video games, they even have fourth wall breaking loading screens reassuring you that this is all just a game and you're not a bad person on top of all the diagetic dialogue from Walker about how he doesn't have a choice and he has to do things and people still took it personally.

Undertale, on the other hand, explicitly has the player chracter be a blank slate (to the point where even its gender and ethnicity are purposefully ambuiguous) because it's supposed to be a representation of you and a cipher for the game to comment on your choices and decisions. Which is kind of ironic considering that one of the big twists of the game is that the child you spend the whole game playing as isn't actually the named character you created at the beginning of the game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A funny thing in Order of the Phoenix is that Wingardium Leviosa has rear end in a top hat physics. Mild ones, but you can bump tables and chairs off other students to bother them during their walkcycle. Pretty fun :3:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Guy Mann posted:

Undertale, on the other hand, explicitly has the player chracter be a blank slate (to the point where even its gender and ethnicity are purposefully ambuiguous) because it's supposed to be a representation of you and a cipher for the game to comment on your choices and decisions. Which is kind of ironic considering that one of the big twists of the game is that the child you spend the whole game playing as isn't actually the named character you created at the beginning of the game.

You could interpret the game as you being in control of the fallen child, who is in turn in control of Frisk. In an evil run, you act detached from all the characters, which is closer to reality than a "good" run (hence the in-game text about the mirror, which says "It's you" on a good run and "It's me" on an evil run).

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

Walker isn't the player, he's his own character with his own motivations and history who makes his own decisions. The entire point of the game is that it's a criticism of the characters and plots and storytelling of war video games, they even have fourth wall breaking loading screens reassuring you that this is all just a game and you're not a bad person on top of all the diagetic dialogue from Walker about how he doesn't have a choice and he has to do things and people still took it personally.

Those loading screens were meant to be sarcastic. They address the player directly asking how many Americans they killed (to which the answer is "none" or "a lot" depending on your perspective).

The narrative is really muddy about who its supposed to be addressing and i think its a symptom of the games problematic development cycle. They wanted to have an option where the player can gently caress off and leave and it was not included because surprise, everyone took it, which undermined the message a bit

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

Bullshit.

*google search*

What the gently caress..

Great post/avatar combo

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Spec Ops the line is, at its core, just a game about how the stuff we normally do in war-themed shooters is pretty hosed up, so its probably not worth getting worked up over whether or not there's choice. There's no choice in those games either, after all!

Unrelated little thing - I've been playing God Eater 2: RB for the first time, and they put a surprising amount of work into the player voices you can select. There's a lot of unique dialogue for each one, and they all have quite a bit of personality (usually a lot more than the NPC party members, who are probably some of the least interesting videogame characters I've seen in a long time). That said, it's a bit tough to tell what the "personality" is just from the few clips you hear during character creation, so you might end up with something different than what you expected.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

FredMSloniker posted:

Well, at least in Undertale specifically, the whole point of the branching paths is that the game can legit call out the player for making awful decisions because they 'want to see everything'. Unlike something like Spec Ops, which tries to go 'oh well if you want to be a good person you could just not play the game', Undertale offers a significantly more satisfying experience, bonus boss aside, if you show some restraint. I still think some people going OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE I AM LITERALLY HITLER is an overreaction, but I also think giving the player the option to not be a jerk is important if you're going to criticize them for being one.

Fair I realized I worded that wrong. I don't want to put down Undertale, and you're right Undertale is well aware of your choices and makes sure there is consequences for your actions. You bet I felt bad when I realized one of the guards I killed was gone for good, was definitely a "oh poo poo the game cares" moment. I love the combat system and how you can talk to the enemies during a fight, which actually changes the fight.

The feeling of killing someone MGS series is different than any game I've played, and I think it's the way death is presented. In MGS2 you have this time to reflect on what you've done. It's very eerie. And I think what makes it so eerie is the restraint MGS2 has to not make death a "bonus" in anyway. Death does not give you more health, attack, ammo, or anything that benefits the player directly. I also feel like I don't miss out on any part of the game if I do non-lethal only. I'm going to stop myself here as I can go on a long rant about MGS2 and the series in general.

ps. This enemy restraint is also why I think Silent Hill is so scary. Silent Hill doesn't give you any reason to kill the monsters (they do not drop items, or improve your character in any way). If you leveled up after ever monster kill, or they dropped potions or something I'm pretty sure I would be more willing to kill and as a result it would feel less scary because of that mindset.

Nude has a new favorite as of 23:41 on Jul 13, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Some of the portraits in Order of the Phoenix are actually pretty funnily written, the ones that contain secret passages. My favourite is a guy who is really paranoid as there is a painting across the room of a large eye filling the frame, that is watching him. When you manage to cover it up with a flag, you hear the eye portrait just go ballistic, going all "I was PROMISED a room with a view! What the hell is this? Who did that!?" and it's a pretty funny outburst as you don't quite expect it. :3:

There's also one who has gone crazy from the fact that the portraits match - he is constantly thinking of himself as two people, but one at the same time. When you free him from the cobwebs covering him and talk to him he starts raving like "No, you'll need to talk to me to get through... No not me the me that is there... I should be able to help from there..."

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 22:44 on Jul 13, 2017

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

In MGS5 there is this really uncomfortable musical sting when you kill somebody.

There are realistically no other penalties for it, just this little sting that says what you did was consciously kill a man and it's so much more impactful than the rats in dishonored.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Agent355 posted:

In MGS5 there is this really uncomfortable musical sting when you kill somebody.

There are realistically no other penalties for it, just this little sting that says what you did was consciously kill a man and it's so much more impactful than the rats in dishonored.

On the other hand you can kill people in fun ways. Once I was like "Oh snap, check out that A rank soldier!" And slammed my jeep into an electric pole and gassed him. Except he fell into a puddle. And got electrocuted to death. Or maybe he drowned in the puddle, I don't know. All I know is this puddle killed a man. The jeep tearing through the base killed the other three. Snake is innocent.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Zinkraptor posted:

Spec Ops the line is, at its core, just a game about how the stuff we normally do in war-themed shooters is pretty hosed up, so its probably not worth getting worked up over whether or not there's choice. There's no choice in those games either, after all!

Unrelated little thing - I've been playing God Eater 2: RB for the first time, and they put a surprising amount of work into the player voices you can select. There's a lot of unique dialogue for each one, and they all have quite a bit of personality (usually a lot more than the NPC party members, who are probably some of the least interesting videogame characters I've seen in a long time). That said, it's a bit tough to tell what the "personality" is just from the few clips you hear during character creation, so you might end up with something different than what you expected.

IIRC you can listen to every regular line a voice has, if you're willing to go through the effort.

Really takes some of the bite out of the everything is hosed setting when you have a cocky voice going "Oh man, maybe we're too awesome :buddy:", or "Lets go home, I've got a lot of sitting around to do, wanna get right on that :buddy:".

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.

samu3lk posted:

I got Nier: Automata in the steam sale. 9S has pestered 2B twice, asking her to call him by a nickname that I suspect he made up himself.

Minor Update: I'm on my 5th playthrough to unlock the multiple endings and now even I think of him as "Nines" and I kinda hate the little weasel bastard for worming his way into my heart the way he did.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

samu3lk posted:

Minor Update: I'm on my 5th playthrough to unlock the multiple endings and now even I think of him as "Nines" and I kinda hate the little weasel bastard for worming his way into my heart the way he did.

They're just machines, they don't have feelings.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Guy Mann posted:

The fight against Quiet in MGSV: The Phantom Pain felt like a great follow-up to The End even if it played differently. A lot of people complain that V didn't do enough with its open world but having one of the big boss battles of the game occur with zero warning when you get ambushed was awesome and having the fight take place in an actual huge open area instead of a bunch of small broken-up jungle maps like The End made it feel like an actual sniper duel.

I love how you can pull the drop a resupply crate on her head move in the first instance of that battle, but in the super advanced version she dodges it.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Agent355 posted:

Some people have mixed feeling on Bioshock Infinite, but the one thing I don't think anyone could complain about was the music and sound design. The music felt like The Wizard of Oz, which is far too on the nose to be accidental(not read any interviews, maybe that's common knowledge) but the little, horrific sting when you murder a dude with the rail-claw was above and beyond.

One more thing about Watchdogs 2 and then I'll shut up. But Marcus is a bro and it's so good to play as a legit awesome dude who has his friend's backs the way he does. Just did the mission where Wrench is nabbed by the FBI and they keep his mask and immediately Marcus goes, 'Nope! My weird little buddy wants his mask back I'm going to go get it!'

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Those loading screens were meant to be sarcastic. They address the player directly asking how many Americans they killed (to which the answer is "none" or "a lot" depending on your perspective).

The narrative is really muddy about who its supposed to be addressing and i think its a symptom of the games problematic development cycle. They wanted to have an option where the player can gently caress off and leave and it was not included because surprise, everyone took it, which undermined the message a bit

I mean, supposedly all of the muddled "violent video games, get it?" poo poo is thanks to the ""head writer"" coming along and dumping all his bad ideas onto the existing script.

It's funny that Spec-Ops came up because I was going to mention that one of the more effective parts of the game wasn't the blatant, in-your-face stuff, but an early section where you can very, very easily be surprised by a non-combatant running across your field of vision and carelessly open fire. Walker's away from his squad at that point and it goes totally unremarked upon. It's an ugly little secret just between him and the player. (I still think it falls apart a bit because of how obviously crafted it is, but it's still certainly less contrived than the white phosphorus mess.)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

John Murdoch posted:

I mean, supposedly all of the muddled "violent video games, get it?" poo poo is thanks to the ""head writer"" coming along and dumping all his bad ideas onto the existing script.

It's funny that Spec-Ops came up because I was going to mention that one of the more effective parts of the game wasn't the blatant, in-your-face stuff, but an early section where you can very, very easily be surprised by a non-combatant running across your field of vision and carelessly open fire. Walker's away from his squad at that point and it goes totally unremarked upon. It's an ugly little secret just between him and the player. (I still think it falls apart a bit because of how obviously crafted it is, but it's still certainly less contrived than the white phosphorus mess.)

I know exactly when you're talking about, and I dropped her and realised as I was pulling the trigger that it wasn't an enemy, and the game just leaves it there. Very well done, I thought.

And I have to relate my own experience with the WP scene, I'll do so in spoilers.

I got totally into it. Dropping WP on everyone and wasting them when they could barely fight back felt great, since I'd been having difficulty with the game up to that point (I'm terrible at shooters). I saw the big cluster of what I assumed to be troops and dropped one right in the centre of them. Queue the scene and me going 'fucccccccccccccck.' I completely get why people have issues with it, but it worked incredibly well for me.

I really like the game. It seemed to get a very mixed response, but I loved the fact that it tried to do something different, and realising just how goddamned crazy your character was becoming was something new for me. The scene where you start blacking out and an enemy warping in between blackouts was a massive 'wtf' moment.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

samu3lk posted:

It's nice when a game's protagonist is so gosh-darn likeable.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Two Finger posted:

And I have to relate my own experience with the WP scene, I'll do so in spoilers.

My problem, and that of many is that i saw the ruse coming from a mile away and it was really frustrating to not be given the choice and chewed out for it.

For those that think its walker being chewed out and not the player, sure, i get that, but i really feel like the game wants to make the player think of their own actions, and not that their walker's. Hell a central theme is shifting blame rather than being accountable for your own actions, so one could argue saying "Walker did it" is shifting blame. At that point though i dont feel guilty cause the game didnt give me a choice.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

RagnarokAngel posted:

My problem, and that of many is that i saw the ruse coming from a mile away and it was really frustrating to not be given the choice and chewed out for it.

For those that think its walker being chewed out and not the player, sure, i get that, but i really feel like the game wants to make the player think of their own actions, and not that their walker's. Hell a central theme is shifting blame rather than being accountable for your own actions, so one could argue saying "Walker did it" is shifting blame. At that point though i dont feel guilty cause the game didnt give me a choice.

As time goes on I see Spec Ops as more and more a 'useful experiment' rather than an entirely successful one. As a piece of art it's undeniable, and as a method of loving with the player it's pretty much perfect- a lot of people have a lot of ideas about the game but almost everyone gets mad at it- but it's playing with too many themes for all of them to land successfully. A lot of players focus on the ones that don't quite get the same payoff as, say, how stupid the idea of HBomberGuy's beloved "two people facing off in a room" ending really is in a realistic setting.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Even without the "choices" and the 4th wall breaking the story and how it's presented are great. The fact you're always descending is a fantastic little detail. It's a short game too, which makes it entirely possible to sit through it in one go(maybe) and let it all just get into your bones.

Now I hope it's backwards compatible for the Bone so I can play it again this weekend.

the WP bit was kinda spoiled for me. All i knew was there was a "messed up part" involving it, but before THE scene there's a bit where you use it on some normal grunts and see how badly it fucks them up. I thought THAT was what people were up in arms about and blew it off as nothing. Then I murdered a few hundred civvies with it and... :stare:...

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Speaking of Spec Ops, my favorite little thing about the game is the moment when Walker says "We've done this before".

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I love how you can pull the drop a resupply crate on her head move in the first instance of that battle, but in the super advanced version she dodges it.

I like that a lot of people just straight up murdered her and then threw a fit that they couldn't just replay the mission to un-kill her later on :shepface: they patched that feature into the game after enough dummies whined about it.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Nuebot posted:

I like that a lot of people just straight up murdered her and then threw a fit that they couldn't just replay the mission to un-kill her later on :shepface: they patched that feature into the game after enough dummies whined about it.

For when you want to kill your waifu and eat her, too.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I had the WP bit spoiled for me so I sort of saw that twist coming, but the parts that really got to me in SpecOps were the "execution" animations. I was doing normal combat stuff in a firefight and suddenly had a chance to notice how the soldiers on the ground close to death were animated so painfully to really show how awful it was and i realized up to that point i'd been casually horribly murdering them without paying it much mind.

The game hits you on the head with a lot of it, but some of the smaller details make it work best.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I really liked how over the course of the game you and your squad's combat barks gradually evolve from a clipped, professional "tango down" to a hoarse, screaming "GOTCHA MOTHERFUCKER".

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Somfin posted:

A lot of players focus on the ones that don't quite get the same payoff as, say, how stupid the idea of HBomberGuy's beloved "two people facing off in a room" ending really is in a realistic setting.

There's only one person in the room though? Konrad not actually being a threat, because he's been dead for a while, is a significant point and part of the game's very obvious attempt to mirror the Iraq war.

edit: It also really only has the one central theme - Americans have a hosed up relationship with war. We glorify and sanitize it in our media, and we provide ridiculous and self serving "we'll be greeted as liberators" justifications for the wars we do declare. I'm not sure where people get that it's broadly about violence in video games.

TGLT has a new favorite as of 15:48 on Jul 14, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still think Hotline Miami is a perfect companion piece to Spec Ops.

You had fun, didn't you?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Febreeze posted:

I had the WP bit spoiled for me so I sort of saw that twist coming,

My favorite bit about that: There's a scene in the game where you are on the receiving end of a white phosphorus attack and experience how terrible it is first hand. You also have to fight three soldiers who walk through it, executing the survivors. Then later in the game that scene is completely reversed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

haveblue posted:

I really liked how over the course of the game you and your squad's combat barks gradually evolve from a clipped, professional "tango down" to a hoarse, screaming "GOTCHA MOTHERFUCKER".

The executions change as well, and become more violent as walker begins to break down.