Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

The best watches are Seiko.

Please sponsor me Seiko.

I bought my first watch. It is a Seiko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Seikos are good.

I have a weird thing for Swatches. With all the money I've spent on various Swatches I'd probably be able to afford another actual watch.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I like non G-shock digital Casios, something about ultra conservatively designed digital watches just works for me.

I'm really enjoying the last few races of the 2006 MotoGP season. Rossi trying to reel in the gap is great.

Edit: What in the holy gently caress was Pedorsa thinking in Estoril?

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 13, 2017

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I have a Skagen, it's a bit meh. Can't go wrong with classic Casio digital watches. Run forever, survive everything.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I've got an Apple Watch for everyday, a Swiss Army watch for outdoors, and a TAG Heuer when I want to feel fancy.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

What the gently caress is this poo poo?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

1500quidporsche posted:

I like non G-shock digital Casios, something about ultra conservatively designed digital watches just works for me.

I'm really enjoying the last few races of the 2006 MotoGP season. Rossi trying to reel in the gap is great.

Edit: What in the holy gently caress was Pedorsa thinking in Estoril?

Pedrosa was very young but it was still an astonishingly stupid move.

Also that's one of my favorite races of all time.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

DoctorGonzo posted:

Something thatll make tear offs difficult outside of pit stops.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Both of my watches are made by Armitron

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

DoctorGonzo posted:

Look I know we all think Vettel is a dick but I don't know how I feel about the condom.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The teams has a say on this thing or FIA are going to implement it anyway?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DoctorGonzo posted:

The teams has a say on this thing or FIA are going to implement it anyway?

They're probably going to implement it because the teams have probably already said "this is what we want".

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
That thing is going to get dirrrrrrty. Looking forward to squeegeemen in the pits

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

iospace posted:

They're probably going to implement it because the teams have probably already said "this is what we want".

All vettel has to do is say "I can't see poo poo" and they'll have to scrap it. And it wouldn't be a lie because that looks ridiculous

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It'll probably use tearoffs. Wouldn't be surprised if there's going to be some method to allow the driver to tear it off in the pits.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It looks fine.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

It looks fine.

Considering we literally were going to have the Halo this year I'm willing to take this thing. Sometimes you gotta just take what you have and go home.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Human Grand Prix posted:

It looks fine.

*Alonso then stares blankly as Honda continue to give him their factory tour*

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Norns posted:

Here we go with the watchism again

I know, i should have left it alone. At least until the break. Let's revisit bad F1 watches then.

1500quidporsche posted:

I literally just got my kart welded up last night. My kart is in fine condition.

How much structural twine are you using though?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1500quidporsche posted:

Considering we literally were going to have the Halo this year I'm willing to take this thing. Sometimes you gotta just take what you have and go home.

Yeah, I think at this point we are getting head protection in 2018. The question is what form at this point and I think the shield is probably the best bet.

NtotheTC posted:

All vettel has to do is say "I can't see poo poo" and they'll have to scrap it. And it wouldn't be a lie because that looks ridiculous

I'm sure all those fighter pilots who have to deal with all the bugs on their cockpit glass have a very tiny violin for Vettel if he whines.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

Can't wait for Charlie Whiting to red flag every race with a moist track because there's no wipers.
Also every race in a sandy poo poo hole.
Ferrari race strategy will be based around keeping the glass clean.

If they need tearoffs they cant loving use that lmao

They should have taken a flash of inspiration from Massa's incident and just put springs ON the helmet.
Checkmate flying debris.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Whoever brought up Homer Simpson's bubble car was posting from the loving future,

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At this point i dont know what they could to make the cars safer. Bianchi death was totally a FIA fuckup.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

keevo posted:

So easy a 79 a year old could do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHL7BKNGuFs

This grandma is pretty aweomse.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

DoctorGonzo posted:

At this point i dont know what they could to the cars safer. Bianchi death was totally a FIA fuckup.

They could put some sort of ugly great bubble over the drivers, that way they will pit first lap out of shame.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

DoctorGonzo posted:

At this point i dont know what they could to make the cars safer. Bianchi death was totally a FIA fuckup.

This is pretty much the nail on the head imo.

It used to be that submarining caused deaths because it was better to be able to not wear your harness and get out before the car went up in flames. Then it was higher cockpits so nothing could intrude the low sides. Then it was HANS devices because a basal skull fracture was a death sentence. Surtees died because of loose wheels which, aside from Twine-o Rosso, has been addressed. Bianchi died of a diffuse axonal injury, so unless they can change the physics of going from loving fast to zero and that literally cheese grating your brain I don't see what the halo or shield are addressing. Sure there are freak accidents like Maria de Villota and Massa, but the halo doesn't necessarily solve either and the shield just seems to obstruct vision.

Also, @iospace, what flies are idly hovering at 10k feet for fighter pilots to not give a poo poo about?

Oh, and none of those proposed solutions would've saved the NWO from 420 quickscoping Senna at Tamburello.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bianchi died because Charly hosed up the yellow flags and a loving crane was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Also Bianchi lost control of the car on wet

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The FIA were stupid having a loving crane on the run off of a turn. Even in the 80s that would've been some horseshit.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Khablam posted:

Can't wait for Charlie Whiting to red flag every race with a moist track because there's no wipers.
Also every race in a sandy poo poo hole.
Ferrari race strategy will be based around keeping the glass clean.

If they need tearoffs they cant loving use that lmao

They should have taken a flash of inspiration from Massa's incident and just put springs ON the helmet.
Checkmate flying debris.

From a few years ago
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2524001/McLaren-confirms-developing-new-wiper-free-windscreens.html

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

It used to be that submarining caused deaths because it was better to be able to not wear your harness and get out before the car went up in flames. Then it was higher cockpits so nothing could intrude the low sides. Then it was HANS devices because a basal skull fracture was a death sentence. Surtees died because of loose wheels which, aside from Twine-o Rosso, has been addressed. Bianchi died of a diffuse axonal injury, so unless they can change the physics of going from loving fast to zero and that literally cheese grating your brain I don't see what the halo or shield are addressing. Sure there are freak accidents like Maria de Villota and Massa, but the halo doesn't necessarily solve either and the shield just seems to obstruct vision.

It seems quite mean but I do agree that theres only so much they can do to improve these loving things before you just run up against the laws of biology and physics.

I mean Christ I've driven poo poo more dangerous than these cars. I'm 6'2 and daily drove a 1984 Scirocco my legs were wedged between the seat and steering wheel and my feet were right up against the firewall while resting. At the very loving least I was going to break both my legs at any crash that had a more than 5-10mph differential.

Also shame on the loving commentators for backing the FIA on this horseshit safety chase. If we still had Hunt I drat well know he would've called a spade a spade and said it was the loving crane that killed him.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 13, 2017

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

1500quidporsche posted:

The FIA were stupid having a loving crane on the run off of a turn. Even in the 80s that would've been some horseshit.

I remember it gave Brundle a huge self righteous boner which he tugged for
months to anyone that cared.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Ehhh, not really. Some really suspect poo poo happened on track while races were going on in that period. The drivers tended to obey the flags though.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Theophany posted:

This is pretty much the nail on the head imo.

Surtees died because of loose wheels which, aside from Twine-o Rosso, has been addressed.

Not just Surtees has been killed, that Marshall in particular in F1 at the Aussie GP I think, however there has been a few times the tethers have failed

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Jesus loving christ, since when did the worst thread turn into conspiracy theory central? Leave that poo poo at the tin foil hat sites.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Jesus loving christ, since when did the worst thread turn into conspiracy theory central? Leave that poo poo at the tin foil hat sites.

Did F1's equiv of Crapwagon die or something?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Oh dear.

Fernando Alonso's McLaren faces Silverstone grid penalties

:negative:

http://bbc.in/2tjc6Hd

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

monkeytennis posted:

Oh dear.

Fernando Alonso's McLaren faces Silverstone grid penalties

:negative:

http://bbc.in/2tjc6Hd

Shocking.

I'm shocked.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A grid penalty!? For a McLaren Honda!?

No!!

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Makes sense to take the penalties at power tracks where they're going to be nowhere anyway. Prepare for a huge shocker as McLaren take engine penalties in Monza!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

keevo posted:

So easy a 79 a year old could do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHL7BKNGuFs

Better than Richard "The Hamster" Hammond... have her on The Grand Tour instead.

• Locked thread